OK, so just to clarify - Therese and Karoline are Reichstadt's children, correct?
yup yup. And while he's probably not the best dad around, he's probably more involved with his kids - like this shows - than what his contemporaries are. I mean, you've got Sisi's dad who absolutely loathed children and wouldn't even agree to pose with them for a family portrait.

yup yup. And while he's probably not the best dad around, he's probably more involved with his kids - like this shows - than what his contemporaries are. I mean, you've got Sisi's dad who absolutely loathed children and wouldn't even agree to pose with them for a family portrait.
That's interesting, I always thought Sisi had at least a semi decent relationship with her dad. Maybe she still did, idk. Anyways, it's nice to see Francois taking responsibility for his girls and I love that he named that he named them (presumably) after Madame Royale and Empress Karoline/the Duchess of Berry.

That's interesting, I always thought Sisi had at least a semi decent relationship with her dad. Maybe she still did, idk.
IDK about later in life, but ISTR reading that he wasn't really a man for "jamhands" or "before they learned to talk properly" (as my godson's dad described one of his coworkers' parenting skills).
Anyways, it's nice to see Francois taking responsibility for his girls and I love that he named that he named them (presumably) after Madame Royale and Empress Karoline/the Duchess of Berry.
Pretty much, although they're "good" and "strong" Habsburg names as well. And I'd like to think that Frankie is the sort of person who is going to roll around on the floor playing with his daughters and in general the sort of man (like his maternal great-great grandpa, François Étienne) who will be involved in his kids' lives (which will no doubt melt even Madame Royal's heart since she can remember her dad being the same). He's not gonna let them do anything they want, but if Albert's watching, it might be enough to knock that stick right out of his butt.

The Thieving Magpie [1]
Soundtrack: Fernando Sor, Overture to Alphonse et Léonore

@Drex @Awkwardvulture @Kurt_Steiner @Diego @The_Most_Happy

*in a montage we are shown how things have been spiraling out of control in Spain since May of 1836*
*end of June* General Luis Cordova deals with mutinies and desertions among his troops due to lack of pay*
*mid-July* meeting between Carlist and government generals discuss the treatment of captured prisoners and the tit-for-tat actions of the opposing armies*
*these talks cause a rebellion in Madrid on 17 July*
*Like in Paris 1789 and Paris 1830 other cities in Spain follow suit*
*Malaga revolts on 25 July proclaiming the constitution of 1812*
*Cadiz and the Spanish fleet revolt on 29 July* *ships captained by loyalists flee to Barcelona*
*Seville and Granada on 30 July*
*Cordoba on 31 July*
*Zaragoza on 1 August*
*Badajoz on 3 August*
*Madrid declares a state of emergency on 5 August*
*Valencia rebels on 8 August*
*Alicante, Murcia, and Catagena on the 11 August*
*lastly Barcelona and the rest of the Spanish navy goes on 13 August due to unpaid wages*
*August 12 1836 the soldiers of the palacio de La Granja de San Ildefonso who haven't been paid since May launch a coup* *they force Queen Regent Maria Cristina to accept a radically liberal government and restore the 1812 Constitution*

D. Carlos: *seated on a white stallion* *dressed in basque uniform* *gleeful* the thieving bitch[1] couldn't keep her hands to herself. And this is the result.
Louis Lucien Bonaparte: *in Spanish* your Majesty it would perhaps not do to be seen to be...so excited about it. These are your countrymen that you are putting to the sword *camera pans up to show Zaragoza* *then down to show Carlist troops hanging the corpses of executed liberal radicales from the trees*
D. Carlos: *looks down his nose at Louis Lucien* and you would do well to remember your place. *urges horse forward*
Basilio Garcia: what does his Majesty say?
Louis Lucien: hang the lot.
Garcia: but you don't approve
Carlos de Montemolin: we are attempting to restore order and I fear my father simply...sows the seeds of a future crisis.
Louis Lucien: let us hope that they are more fortunate at Barcelona.

*at Barcelona* *establishing shot shows that the Sicilian Marina Realeas well as some Spanish vessels has boxed the fleet in* *Juan de Montizon climbs up the side of a Spanish vessel* *steps onto deck*
Admiral[2]: *bows* your Royal Highness.
Juan: Admiral. I have come to accept your terms of surrender.
Admiral: surrender?
Juan: si senor. You are in rebellion against the crown of Spain by your actions.
Admiral: as are you and your father, your Royal Highness
Juan: you think that your rebellion and ours is the same? You rebel over what...exactly? Since as I understand it, all this trouble started because some idiot heard that the Carlist generals and the loyalist generals were meeting to put an end to the war. And all of Spain suddenly went mad!
Admiral: and you think we do not have reason to? We have not been paid for months!
Juan: but you think that is sufficient reason to blockade a port, starve Barcelona into submission and prevent any foreign trade from entering by shooting at any approaching vessels? *to sailors* gentlemen, your rationale makes complete sense! If you haven't been paid, then why not spread your grievance around and make the rest of us miserable as well? You're no better than pirates. *walks to rail*
Admiral: I resent that, your Royal Highness.
Juan: and I resent that you are essentially laying siege to the kingdom through your actions. And then you promise that a constitution will solve everything? Do you know what I heard in Lleida? People who thought "Constitucion" was the name of the bridegroom coming to Spain to marry D. Isabel. *gestures to Barcelona* most people don't care if there's a constitution or not. They care about being fed, and paid. Your men, they go into Barcelona, day by day, and they "confiscate" whatever they like. They don't pay. They take. It's why I say you're no better than pirates.
Admiral: since your Royal Highness has insulted me twice, I demand satisfaction
Juan: and I decline that demand, Admiral. However, I hope for your sake that when *points at the ships blocking them in* those ships start firing on the town, the town's gunners aim for your little...flotilla. I do not relish the loss for Spain of the ships, but pirates like yourselves deserve either the hangman's noose or the sea bottom. Good day *departs ship*
*he's still climbing down the side when we hear a solitary gunshot*
*face pops over the rail* your Royal Highness?
Juan: *looks up*
Man: I ask you to please disregard what the Admiral said, and I wish to offer the surrender of the Hernan Cortez.
Juan: *sighs as he starts climbing back up* and he couldn't have shot the mana minute earlier?

*Badajoz* *D. Sebastian, King of Portugal, with the Portuguese army at his back, accepts the surrender of the city of Badajoz*
*Seville* *D. Sebastian now followed by an army in Spanish uniforms* *very few Portuguese troops* *attacks the rebellious city with Spanish troops* *next shot shows street to street fighting between soldiers and rebels* *finally the city surrenders*
*Cadiz* *D. Sebastian is still approaching the city from the landward side when already the mayor and the bishop of Cadiz meet him on the road* *with them are men with halters around their necks* *they offer him the surrender of Cadiz*

*in camp at Granada*
D. Carlos: *practically doing a happy dance*
Pierre Bonaparte: I think the king's gone mad.
Garibaldi: I think he's always been mad
D. Carlos: Badajoz, Seville, Cadiz, Barcelona, Cartagena and Alicante have all surrendered. Only Murcia and Malaga still hold out.
Paul Bonaparte: God is truly on your side, Majesty
D. Carlos: was there ever any doubt?
Garibaldi: *to Pierre* before we got here, I'd say very much.
D. Carlos: almost the whole Spanish Navy has surrendered. Excepting Malaga, I control the entire Mediterranean Coast from the Pyrenees to Gibraltar.
Carlos de Montemolin: as you should father. But I think it is important that we not overlook the assistance that these men, from the duque de Reichstadt to General Garibaldi have given us in accomplishing this victory.
Carlos: This victory was ordained by God. It owes nothing to the devil, Reichstadt.
Pierre: *cleaning his sword* sounds about right. Like God he always only shows up after the actual hard part gets done and then takes the credit
Garibaldi: you couldn't have been hoping he'd share it with us, could you. That would be...completely and utterly unselfish of his Royal Jackass.
Montemolin: father, could not God have inspired Reichstadt to such a plan?
Carlos: bah! his cousin took my men over the Pyrenees to proclaim him emperor. I was just a convenient excuse for him to move the troops here. This was all God's doing and my *suddenly stops speaking* *collapses*
Montemolin: father? *kneels next to his father*
Pierre: what was all that talk about God's plan? I think he's fallen out with the man upstairs[3]
Paul: *to soldier* fetch a physician!
Soldier: *runs off*
Garibaldi: *to Paul* what if this is all part of God's plan? And we're just...interfering with it? Mean...if the physician trips on his way here, is he clumsy or is that God trying to tell us something?
Paul: he is still the king, sir
Garibaldi: for now.
*soldier arrives in the tent* *he's dusty and windswept clearly having just ridden in*
*walks up to Montemolin*
Soldier: From her Majesty. *hands letter*
Montemolin: *takes the letter* *reads it* *then tosses it aside as her kneels next to his father* a pardon, father. The Queen Regent has offered us a pardon and her daughter's hand if we march for Madrid immediately
Carlos: *tries to open his mouth and speak* *but no speech comes out* *grabs front of son's uniform* *shakes his head and glares at him*
Montemolin: the pardon is for you too, Padre. And Juan, and Fernando and Sebastian. There can be peace!
Carlos: *curls his lip in disgust*
*doctor enters* *hurriedly kneels next to Carlos*
Doctor: *to Montemolin* help him onto his side, your Royal Highness...in case he vomits. *to PIerre* you, hold his head steady
Pierre: *to Garibaldi* can't I see if it just twists off?
Doctor: *glares at Pierre*
Pierre: *unconvincingly* it was a joke

*fade to black*

[1] this isn't him calling her a usurper by another name. Maria Cristina's nickname in Spain was "La Ladrone(?)" (the big thief) because she would purloin the palace silverware for herself and her husband, Augustin Munoz, while Isabel II and Luisa Maria Fernanda were left in squalour
[2] not sure who the Spanish admirals were on the Isabellino side
[3] I realize this secular irreverance is probably more a modern interpretation, but like Plon-Plon, Pierre was a radical republican and atheist.

Don Carlos really is determined to claim the throne.
He was OTL. And the montage of all the Spanish cities in revolt is OTL. Only difference being that the Carlists had no influence south of the Ebro. Here, with the "liberal shine" given them by the Bonaparte and the Carbonari plus the whole "we just want to restore order" part let's them take advantage of the anarchy. OTL they were unable to do this. Not sure why, but it's like the Carlists refused to attack the Cristinos or take advantage of the chaos, since according to Wikipedia's chronology, between April and September 1836 the Carlist army is radio silent. Whether that was because they were having similar problems or whether this was because they simply saw it as dishonorable to take advantage of the chaos, I don't know

Better the Carlists make the absolute best out of this.
Well Maria Cristina was forced by the mutiny of La Granja to appoint a radicale government and restore the Constitution of 1812, so her reaching out to the Carlists is probably a sort of her grabbing at straws to save something. The Carlists are successful (so far) and they have an army that they can at least "trust". Plus, with them probably being hailed as veritable saviors in Aragon for ending the naval blockades and reopening the trade... She might be eager to fix her wagon to the star.

Likely though, Montemolin will be furious when he arrives in Madrid to find that (as OTL) the daughter being offered is Luisa, not Isabel. Maria Cristina in 1836 was still planning for Isabel to marry her uncle, the Conte di Trapani. And she wouldn't relinquish her control of the regency. Least of all to a Carlist

Carlos better have arms twisting backing at the ready because one one or another Spain will have it's rightful king.
Montemolin can just do what his dad did OTL. Publicize Maria Cristina's marriage to Muñoz (by which she would immediately forfeit the regency). That discredits her to the conservatives who aren't Carlists and the middle of the road party. She's already discredited to the liberals. Then use the army to have himself declared regent and word it that its ambiguous for whether he's regent for Isabel or his incapacitated dad. While there are grumbles about it, the guy is at the head of an army that basically "brought back order". Doesn't matter if you're a Carlist or a radicale... Having that on his résumé makes him a pretty tough act to beat. Not unbeatable, but definitely someone who, provided he plays politics like Carlos III or Alfonso XII rather than Carlos IV/Alfonso XIII, nobody would really want him out. Fortunately, I can't find much out about Montemolin's politics, beyond that he refused an offer by the US to restore him (in exchange for Cuba) and tried to broach a reconciliation with King Francisco (both in the 1850s), which shows firstly he wouldn't give an inch to someone who challenges royal authority (like the radicales) but that he was willing to reach a compromise if it suits him

Montemolin can just do what his dad did OTL. Publicize Maria Cristina's marriage to Muñoz (by which she would immediately forfeit the regency). That discredits her to the conservatives who aren't Carlists and the middle of the road party. She's already discredited to the liberals. Then use the army to have himself declared regent and word it that its ambiguous for whether he's regent for Isabel or his incapacitated dad. While there are grumbles about it, the guy is at the head of an army that basically "brought back order". Doesn't matter if you're a Carlist or a radicale... Having that on his résumé makes him a pretty tough act to beat. Not unbeatable, but definitely someone who, provided he plays politics like Carlos III or Alfonso XII rather than Carlos IV/Alfonso XIII, nobody would really want him out. Fortunately, I can't find much out about Montemolin's politics, beyond that he refused an offer by the US to restore him (in exchange for Cuba) and tried to broach a reconciliation with King Francisco (both in the 1850s), which shows firstly he wouldn't give an inch to someone who challenges royal authority (like the radicales) but that he was willing to reach a compromise if it suits him
Brilliant! I really hope Carlos fullfils his ambition.

Go And Tell My Disciples
Soundtrack: Daniel Aubert, Overture to Fra Diavolo [1]

*interior* *Basilica of Santa Chiara* *we see Madame Louise processing slowly up the aisle in her very medieval inspired wedding dress* *her deep blue train is trimmed with ermine and adorned with the lilies of France* *she wears no jewellery* *only rose buds in her hair* *preceded by two flowergirls: Therese and Karoline*
*cut to various scenes of the ceremony* *Ferdinando putting the ring on the bride's finger* *Louise taking her vows* *them leaving the basilica*
*cuts to various faces in the audience* *Queen Dowager Maria Isabel* *the prince and princess of Salerno* *the triumphantly smiling Caroline de Berri on the arm of D. Miguel, King of Portugal* *the frowning French and worried British ambassadors* *finally, the bored-to-tears look on Frankie's face[2]*
*cut to wedding reception*
Frankie: *on the edge of the dance floor* *dancing with his younger daughter in his arms* *older daughter is just twirling around in imitation of the couples on the dance floor*
Luisa Carlota of Naples, duquesa de Cadiz: *disapprovingly* look at him...bringing his...bastards to the wedding.
French ambassador: he's a Napoléon, Madame. Still...we should hope that bastards will be all he fathers. And may they all be daughters.
Luisa Carlota: you've heard what happened in Spain, naturally?
French ambassador: of course, Madame
Luisa Carlota: my poor sister...forced to such a humiliation!
French ambassador: it is most...obscene, Madame. Still, my king is optimistic that her stay in Paris will not be of long duration. She is, after all, the rightful regent of Spain...not that...poseur the comte de Montemolin. And the only reason he is regent is because his father is...indisposed.
Luisa Carlota: *looks at her second youngest son, Duarte [3] wandering over to the edge of the dance floor* rather they were both dead *watches in horror as he asks Therese to dance* excuse me, Monsieur l'Ambassadeur
French ambassador: *bows* Madame

Luisa Carlota: *puts hands on her son's shoulders to pull him away* Duarte, let's not bother Monsieur le Duc...hmm
Frankie: it's no bother at all, Madame. He was just telling me how he wants to be in the army when he grows up.
Luisa Carlota: *tightly* hopefully the one defeats the Carlistes sir
Frankie: *innocently* I had heard that the Carlistes were the ones who won. Or would you be suggesting that we have a rematch, Madame?
Luisa Carlota: *firmly* come along Duarte-
Duarte: but mama, I was just asking Mademoiselle Thérèse if she wants to dance.
Luisa Carlota: *ignoring the little girl's look like "yes please"* I'm sure she has no wish to dance, Duarte. Come along now
Frankie: it's just a dance, Madame. And perhaps your...energies would be...better spent...focusing on your daughter, which one is she again? The ginger over there? She seems...rather taken with my cousin, Monsieur Charles [Napoléon III] [4]
Luisa Carlota: *looks at her eldest daughter, Isabel, in horror* a facc 'ro cazz [5] *insistent* now Duarte
Frankie: *to Duarte* why don't you and Thérèse dance, while your mother goes to deal with your sister *smiles at Luisa like "which is more important to you?"*

Luisa Carlota: *storms onto the dancefloor* *grabs her daughter by the arm* come, Belita
Belita: mama, I'm-
Luisa Carlota: not with him, you're not.
Monsieur Charles: Madame, I-
Luisa Carlota: shut up, Bonaparte. Now...the Prince de Piemonte [Vittorio Emanuele II] wishes to dance with you.[6]
Vittorio Emanuele: *does not look thrilled by this* *but he gets remembered as "Re Galantuomo" for a reason* I would hardly want to interrupt what I'm sure was a pleasant dance with Monsieur Charles-
Luisa Carlota: *in that mom tone of do it or you'll be sorry* I insist, your Royal Highness. *pushes Belita into VE's arms*
*neither looks happy as they dance off*
Luisa Carlota: *to Monsieur Charles* did you think that you would be good enough for my daughter?
Monsieur Charles: it was just a dance, Madame.
Luisa Carlota: you are not fit to clean her dancing shoes, Bonaparte, much less to dance with her. You are only here by my nephew's sufferance. He didn't even want to allow your cousin, much less an ordure like you-
Monsieur Charles: I wonder if that was because my cousin is here as the Austrian ambassador. Or because the new regent of Spain put in a kind word for us...ordures?
Luisa Carlota: *starts replying*
Usher: His Royal Highness, the Prince of Capua! Signora Penelope Smyth!
*hall falls silent*
Luisa Carlota: *disgustedly* what are they doing here?

Frankie: *leading Karoline by hand* *strolls casually over to Capua in the uniform of the Neapolitan army and the heavily pregnant Smyth* cousin.
Capua: *not sure what to do now* *swallows visibly*
Penelope: *dips a curtsey and kisses his hand* your Serene Highness.
Frankie: I'm so glad that you got my invitation. I was worried that it may have gotten lost.
Capua: we are honoured that your Serene Highness remembered us. *looks pointedly at his brother* It seems that others didn't.
Ferdinando II: *practically storming over* *Louise trying to hang onto his arm to prevent him from doing just that* you dare show your face here, the charlatan and his whore?
Frankie: *measured tones* your Majesty, there is no need for such language. There are children present *looks down at Karoline*
Ferdinando II: this is a family matter, not for your involvement, Highness
Frankie: *makes obsequious bow* of course, Majesty
Ferdinando II: you will leave Naples immediately, my brother is dead. Do you understand that?
Louise: Ferdinand.
Ferdinando II: *pulls his mouth* what?
Louise: make this my wedding present. Forgive your brother. Let us draw a line under what has gone before. He is young and foolish, as many who have lost their fathers too young invariably are. He looks to you for guidance, do not turn he and his wife away. Let us not welcome such an apple of discord into our home at our wedding by sending them away. *dips into deep curtsey - almost to the floor - that will later be immortalized by several artists* Your Majesty being the kindest of fathers and the most generous of sovereigns...I ask this as my greatest wish
Ferdinando II: *clearly unhappy at the corner his wife has painted him into* *muttering* even my wife conspires against me *to Capua* how fortunate for you that my wife cares more for you than I do at the moment. *extends his hand to be kissed*
Capua: *hesitates*
Louise: *from her curtsey* *glares up at Capua with a look like "kiss the ring you fool"*
Capua: *frantically* *grabs his brother's hand and kisses it* your Majesty...may I present my wife, Madame Penelope Smyth.
Ferdinando II: *loudly so everyone can hear* I believe, your Royal Highness means her Royal Highness, the princessa di Capua.
Penelope: *surprised* *curtseys again* your Majesty is too kind.
Ferdinando II: you have the queen to thank for this *raises Louise to her feet*
Louise: *kisses Penelope's cheeks in the French fashion* sister.
Frankie: *raises his glass in toast* to his Majesty, the king of Sicily. The most gracious and most generous of sovereigns! And to his new wife, the Queen.
Hall: *repeats toast obediently*

[1] was originally going to go with Auber's Mute of Portici or Verdi's Sicilian Vespers, but found out Michele Pezza - who fought in the "resistance" (funded by Maria Karoline of Austria) in Naples during the Napoleonic Wars - was the inspiration behind not only Auber's Fra Diavolo, but also Dumas' work The Last Cavalier and was one of the most performed French operas (despite the title) of the 19th century with French, German, Italian and even Russian versions. Plus, Mute of Portici is likely regarded as "too revolutionary" after the trouble it caused in Brussels in 1830
[2] not that he's one of those people who hates weddings or marriage, more just the sort of guy who'd get married in Las Vegas or the registry office rather than in a church, not because he isn't religious, but because (like his father) he finds the ritual boring (Napoléon was seen to yawn during his own coronation after he'd been enthroned while the priests were busy with the various non-coronation oath activities; same for his wedding to Marie Luise). That said, Frankie would probably - as with his grandma's funeral - plan this in such fine detail that he'd give most wedding planners nightmares
[3] Duarte of Cadiz (1826-1830), not sure what he died of OTL, but figure it was after the POD of 1826, and since the youngest children (Maria Cristina and Fernando) were both reportedly "simple", I've decided (for the sake of different names) to swap Duarte and Fernando's fate around.
[4] since three of Napoléon's mistresses and his wife were all red-heads, I don't think it's difficult to imagine him as having ginger-vitis :p And considering he was also to known to be a charmer, I have no doubt that to Belita he's pretty enticing. After all, she eloped from a convent with a Polish count OTL who ran off and took her money, leaving her on the charity of Louise d'Orléans, Queen of the Belgians. Unfortunately, when Louise died, Belita was once more without means, finally dying in Paris in a hotel where she'd gone in to beg a glass of water
[5] to the face of the dick, Neapolitan swear
[6] this is Luisa Carlota OTL, although it wasn't at her nephew's wedding. Her daughter (Pepita, not Belita) was dancing with someone else and she made a scene and forced her daughter to dance with Vittorio Emanuele as well. Luisa Carlota was the ambitious pushy mom who believed her daughters were worthy of kings

@The_Most_Happy @Ramontxo @isabella @VVD0D95 @Zulfurium @Tarabas

Ramontxo

Donor
Soundtrack: Daniel Aubert, Overture to Fra Diavolo [1]

*interior* *Basilica of Santa Chiara* *we see Madame Louise processing slowly up the aisle in her very medieval inspired wedding dress* *her deep blue train is trimmed with ermine and adorned with the lilies of France* *she wears no jewellery* *only rose buds in her hair* *preceded by two flowergirls: Therese and Karoline*
*cut to various scenes of the ceremony* *Ferdinando putting the ring on the bride's finger* *Louise taking her vows* *them leaving the basilica*
*cuts to various faces in the audience* *Queen Dowager Maria Isabel* *the prince and princess of Salerno* *the triumphantly smiling Caroline de Berri on the arm of D. Miguel, King of Portugal* *the frowning French and worried British ambassadors* *finally, the bored-to-tears look on Frankie's face[2]*
*cut to wedding reception*
Frankie: *on the edge of the dance floor* *dancing with his younger daughter in his arms* *older daughter is just twirling around in imitation of the couples on the dance floor*
Luisa Carlota of Naples, duquesa de Cadiz: *disapprovingly* look at him...bringing his...bastards to the wedding.
French ambassador: he's a Napoléon, Madame. Still...we should hope that bastards will be all he fathers. And may they all be daughters.
Luisa Carlota: you've heard what happened in Spain, naturally?
French ambassador: of course, Madame
Luisa Carlota: my poor sister...forced to such a humiliation!
French ambassador: it is most...obscene, Madame. Still, my king is optimistic that her stay in Paris will not be of long duration. She is, after all, the rightful regent of Spain...not that...poseur the comte de Montemolin. And the only reason he is regent is because his father is...indisposed.
Luisa Carlota: *looks at her second youngest son, Duarte [3] wandering over to the edge of the dance floor* rather they were both dead *watches in horror as he asks Therese to dance* excuse me, Monsieur l'Ambassadeur
French ambassador: *bows* Madame

Luisa Carlota: *puts hands on her son's shoulders to pull him away* Duarte, let's not bother Monsieur le Duc...hmm
Frankie: it's no bother at all, Madame. He was just telling me how he wants to be in the army when he grows up.
Luisa Carlota: *tightly* hopefully the one defeats the Carlistes sir
Frankie: *innocently* I had heard that the Carlistes were the ones who won. Or would you be suggesting that we have a rematch, Madame?
Luisa Carlota: *firmly* come along Duarte-
Duarte: but mama, I was just asking Mademoiselle Thérèse if she wants to dance.
Luisa Carlota: *ignoring the little girl's look like "yes please"* I'm sure she has no wish to dance, Duarte. Come along now
Frankie: it's just a dance, Madame. And perhaps your...energies would be...better spent...focusing on your daughter, which one is she again? The ginger over there? She seems...rather taken with my cousin, Monsieur Charles [Napoléon III] [4]
Luisa Carlota: *looks at her eldest daughter, Isabel, in horror* a facc 'ro cazz [5] *insistent* now Duarte
Frankie: *to Duarte* why don't you and Thérèse dance, while your mother goes to deal with your sister *smiles at Luisa like "which is more important to you?"*

Luisa Carlota: *storms onto the dancefloor* *grabs her daughter by the arm* come, Belita
Belita: mama, I'm-
Luisa Carlota: not with him, you're not.
Monsieur Charles: Madame, I-
Luisa Carlota: shut up, Bonaparte. Now...the Prince de Piemonte [Vittorio Emanuele II] wishes to dance with you.[6]
Vittorio Emanuele: *does not look thrilled by this* *but he gets remembered as "Re Galantuomo" for a reason* I would hardly want to interrupt what I'm sure was a pleasant dance with Monsieur Charles-
Luisa Carlota: *in that mom tone of do it or you'll be sorry* I insist, your Royal Highness. *pushes Belita into VE's arms*
*neither looks happy as they dance off*
Luisa Carlota: *to Monsieur Charles* did you think that you would be good enough for my daughter?
Monsieur Charles: it was just a dance, Madame.
Luisa Carlota: you are not fit to clean her dancing shoes, Bonaparte, much less to dance with her. You are only here by my nephew's sufferance. He didn't even want to allow your cousin, much less an ordure like you-
Monsieur Charles: I wonder if that was because my cousin is here as the Austrian ambassador. Or because the new regent of Spain put in a kind word for us...ordures?
Luisa Carlota: *starts replying*
Usher: His Royal Highness, the Prince of Capua! Signora Penelope Smyth!
*hall falls silent*
Luisa Carlota: *disgustedly* what are they doing here?

Frankie: *leading Karoline by hand* *strolls casually over to Capua in the uniform of the Neapolitan army and the heavily pregnant Smyth* cousin.
Capua: *not sure what to do now* *swallows visibly*
Penelope: *dips a curtsey and kisses his hand* your Serene Highness.
Frankie: I'm so glad that you got my invitation. I was worried that it may have gotten lost.
Capua: we are honoured that your Serene Highness remembered us. *looks pointedly at his brother* It seems that others didn't.
Ferdinando II: *practically storming over* *Louise trying to hang onto his arm to prevent him from doing just that* you dare show your face here, the charlatan and his whore?
Frankie: *measured tones* your Majesty, there is no need for such language. There are children present *looks down at Karoline*
Ferdinando II: this is a family matter, not for your involvement, Highness
Frankie: *makes obsequious bow* of course, Majesty
Ferdinando II: you will leave Naples immediately, my brother is dead. Do you understand that?
Louise: Ferdinand.
Ferdinando II: *pulls his mouth* what?
Louise: make this my wedding present. Forgive your brother. Let us draw a line under what has gone before. He is young and foolish, as many who have lost their fathers too young invariably are. He looks to you for guidance, do not turn he and his wife away. Let us not welcome such an apple of discord into our home at our wedding by sending them away. *dips into deep curtsey - almost to the floor - that will later be immortalized by several artists* Your Majesty being the kindest of fathers and the most generous of sovereigns...I ask this as my greatest wish
Ferdinando II: *clearly unhappy at the corner his wife has painted him into* *muttering* even my wife conspires against me *to Capua* how fortunate for you that my wife cares more for you than I do at the moment. *extends his hand to be kissed*
Capua: *hesitates*
Louise: *from her curtsey* *glares up at Capua with a look like "kiss the ring you fool"*
Capua: *frantically* *grabs his brother's hand and kisses it* your Majesty...may I present my wife, Madame Penelope Smyth.
Ferdinando II: *loudly so everyone can hear* I believe, your Royal Highness means her Royal Highness, the princessa di Capua.
Penelope: *surprised* *curtseys again* your Majesty is too kind.
Ferdinando II: you have the queen to thank for this *raises Louise to her feet*
Louise: *kisses Penelope's cheeks in the French fashion* sister.
Frankie: *raises his glass in toast* to his Majesty, the king of Sicily. The most gracious and most generous of sovereigns! And to his new wife, the Queen.
Hall: *repeats toast obediently*

[1] was originally going to go with Auber's Mute of Portici or Verdi's Sicilian Vespers, but found out Michele Pezza - who fought in the "resistance" (funded by Maria Karoline of Austria) in Naples during the Napoleonic Wars - was the inspiration behind not only Auber's Fra Diavolo, but also Dumas' work The Last Cavalier and was one of the most performed French operas (despite the title) of the 19th century with French, German, Italian and even Russian versions. Plus, Mute of Portici is likely regarded as "too revolutionary" after the trouble it caused in Brussels in 1830
[2] not that he's one of those people who hates weddings or marriage, more just the sort of guy who'd get married in Las Vegas or the registry office rather than in a church, not because he isn't religious, but because (like his father) he finds the ritual boring (Napoléon was seen to yawn during his own coronation after he'd been enthroned while the priests were busy with the various non-coronation oath activities; same for his wedding to Marie Luise). That said, Frankie would probably - as with his grandma's funeral - plan this in such fine detail that he'd give most wedding planners nightmares
[3] Duarte of Cadiz (1826-1830), not sure what he died of OTL, but figure it was after the POD of 1826, and since the youngest children (Maria Cristina and Fernando) were both reportedly "simple", I've decided (for the sake of different names) to swap Duarte and Fernando's fate around.
[4] since three of Napoléon's mistresses and his wife were all red-heads, I don't think it's difficult to imagine him as having ginger-vitis :p And considering he was also to known to be a charmer, I have no doubt that to Belita he's pretty enticing. After all, she eloped from a convent with a Polish count OTL who ran off and took her money, leaving her on the charity of Louise d'Orléans, Queen of the Belgians. Unfortunately, when Louise died, Belita was once more without means, finally dying in Paris in a hotel where she'd gone in to beg a glass of water
[5] to the face of the dick, Neapolitan swear
[6] this is Luisa Carlota OTL, although it wasn't at her nephew's wedding. Her daughter (Pepita, not Belita) was dancing with someone else and she made a scene and forced her daughter to dance with Vittorio Emanuele as well. Luisa Carlota was the ambitious pushy mom who believed her daughters were worthy of kings

@The_Most_Happy @Ramontxo @isabella @VVD0D95 @Zulfurium @Tarabas
"Ginger-Vitis" as a fellow sufferer I am going to appropriate that name...

More that capua wife is recognised as a princess
King Bomb doesn't really have a choice. He can't accept his brother "back" without acknowledging Penny. He can, but then he looks insincere or petty. Like he's just humouring Louise. And like Frankie notes, she's a woman most men probably wouldn't want mad at them

Also, recent events in Spain and the Bonaparte presence at the wedding is a reminder of how "problematic" bad blood between brothers can be (D. Carlos and Lucien Bonaparte, for instance).