Francis II, the Hapsburg Eaglet

Gay civil marriage in 1863 Two Empires?

• It will be laughed off as a joke

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Actually, that's not a bad idea....

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am wondering if Francis is trying to put some reason within his cousin, or he would try to support Cavaignac instead...

Britain always cared about the safety of the isles first. So I’m expecting them to ask Franze to forsake all military vessels in Northern Europe. That would effectively give Britain its political victory and its chance at splendid isolation. Also let’s face it, once a nation chooses to do something, there ain’t much a single nation can do about. (Unless you want to invade... which will only stall the inevitable)

Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Two: Empire of the French

When Franz arrived in Calais, his eldest son and heir was waiting, having travelled incognito through Belgium by train. Almost twenty, Frankie had insisted in attending what would be the most significant event in history. And since Franz had sold this mission as being completely safe, he had no reason not to allow the young man along.

Franz had planned everything out personally. The Chancellor, who still sounded distinctly French, had volunteered to coach the Emperor on his diction, but if the French were going to reject him based on his very Austrian accent it was best they found out now. They would have to take him as he was.

The Imperial party were allowed into the Tour du Guet, where they had an excellent view of the protestors in the town. Franz took a deep breath as he went out onto the balcony. Not only was he going against everything his grandfather had taught him, he was going to be acknowledging his past for the first time. "Calais! Je m'appelle Napoleon Francis, l'Empereur d'Autriche et mon père était ton empereur. J'ai parlé à mes ministres et alliés et ils ont convenu que je dois accepter l'invitation que j'ai reçue de venir ici."

The crowd was stunned silent. Years ago, Napoleon's death had been proclaimed from this tower. No one could quite believe what could be happening. "Mais ce n'est pas l'Autriche, ni même le royaume de France. C'est censé être l'empire des français. Et cela ne peut pas être donné par des princes étrangers ou des intrigues domestiques. Et si vous me demandez d'y aller, je le ferai. Avec rien mais mes bénédictions sur vous."

People were shouting now, pleas to stay. For help, for hope. It seemed he was correct that they wanted him too. "Alors debout avec moi! Emmène moi à Paris!"

The crowd cheered now. "Vive l'empereur!"

"Vive les français!" Franz answered.

It took mere hours for word to spread. By the time Franz arrived at the capital, the only arguments being made were whether he should be crowned in Paris or Reims.

Franz sat in with his cousin, Louis Napoleon, and a leading French official, Cavaignac. Cavaignac was less impressed than the crowd outside. "So, you name me premier, but expect me to work for your cousin as regent-"

"Prince Regent," Louis corrected.

"Like in Britain," Cavaignac noted. "I believe that didn't work out well."

"Perhaps," Franz allowed. "But I know the two of you will work together, because you both want what I want. To make sure the people are fed, not beheaded."

Cavaignac winced, the persistent belief of republican France as a guillotine nation died hard. "It seems the people have spoken. I will do as your majesty obeys."

"Good. Good." But it seemed like every time Franz left Vienna, he got bad news. And on cue, his son entered the room with a dispatch.

"Papa," Frankie announced. "It's from the Chancellor."

Franz looked over the telegraph message. What it contained wasn't a surprise. "An old enemy is back. The king of Brandenburg has abdicated; he claims to be ill equipped to deal with the economic crisis. He has no heirs, so his brother now rules Brandenburg and Prussia again. King Wilhelm has withdrawn Brandenburg from the German Confederation and signed a treaty with the Russian Emperor."

Louis scoffed. "Russia is isolated. With France at your side, it doesn't matter if they're allied with Prussia."

Franz nodded, but wasn't convinced. "For now. But a wise man once warned me not to fall onto my father's path of believing himself unbeatable."

Frankie frowned. "Then what do we do?"

"We prepare for the inevitable conflict," Franz stated with a smile. "Remember this, my dauphin. You must be very shrewd if you're a Hapsburg. You have to be very valiant if you're a Bonaparte."

"And if you're both?" Frankie asked.

"If you're both, you have to be very careful."

My apologies to those who don't speak French (I had to break out Google Translate to write it), but it seemed important for Franz' speech. The translation is below:

Calais! My name is Napoleon Francis, the Emperor of Austria, and my father was your emperor. I spoke to my ministers and allies and they agreed that I must accept the invitation I received to come here. But this is not Austria, nor even the kingdom of France, it is meant to be the empire of the French, and that can not be given by foreign princes or domestic intrigues. And if you ask me to go there, I will do it with nothing but my blessings.

So stay with me, take me to Paris! Long live the French people!

Wow, very fun to read. I envision a sort of EU like situation cropping up, headed up by the Bonaparte-Hapsburgs at the end of all this. At least in the long term.

No.The Bonapartes aren’t gonna get what they couldn’t by force.Too many Austrians died fighting Napoleon.How are you going to react if your brother,father or son died fighting Napoleon?

But, OTOH, nobody seemingly had problems with Eugene Beauharnais even if he personally fought in Nappy's army. He was married to the daughter of King of Bavaria, his elder daughter became Queen of Sweden and another daughter became Empress of Brazil, one of his sons had been married to the Russian Grand Duchess and another became Prince Consort of Portugal. Swedes elected Bernadotte AFTER he fought them and both Alexander I and Nicholas I had been quite friendly with him regardless his participation in the Napoleonic wars against Russia. So perhaps there could be even certain attraction in half-Hapsburg - half-Bonaparte in the terms of a "summarized glory" from both sides. After all, the wars still supposed to be the chivalric affairs and Archduke Charles was Napoleon's proxy at the wedding to Maria Louise.

Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Three: Italian Independence

On the way home from his new French Empire, Franz received a surprising request from the king of Sardinia to meet for a prisoner transfer. While it was good to hear Sardinia would not be sheltering those involved in the insurrections in Rome and the Two Sicilies, it wasn't something that the Emperor or even the Sardinian king would personally deal with.

The three remaining independent Italian nations were looking rather nervous now. Although the status quo had been restored in Italy proper, the union of Austria and France had eliminated any chance of continuing to play them against each other. Franz guessed that situation was the real reason for the request and thus couldn't resist agreeing to it.

Victor Emanuel met the Emperor at Venice, with Garibaldi, one of the leading figures in the revolutionary Roman Republic. Franz had a brief but interesting interview with Garibaldi, which unfortunately proved he would be difficult to work with. Franz ordered him brought to Vienna, in the hope that seeing Austria in person might make the man willing to pragmatically build an Italy under the Hapsburgs and avoid the noose.

Victor Emanuel, on the other hand, greeted Franz like he was already master of Italy. Franz listened patiently to the king's flowery congratulations on the French throne, and flattery for some time, but at length interrupted him. "Excuse me, your majesty. I am aware of all my many attributes and accomplishments. That isn't why I'm here. I want to see what kind of man you are."

The king nodded slowly. "My kingdom is now bracketed by your Empire. I'm very anxious to see what you plan to do with these realms."

"You want to remain the sovereign prince of your kingdom. I want the same thing for my rule over my Italian domains. You understand that."

It clearly wasn't something Victor Emanuel approved of, but he nodded again. "Of course."

"I have a proposal for you. My allies in Italy, Germany, and Balkans maintain independence under my protection, in exchange for recognizing that I have some territories in their Federation."

"With all due respect, your majesty. I'm aware of your attributes and accomplishments as well. What is your proposal?"

Franz smiled, liking the king's determination. "I want you to join us. The Pope, and the King of Two Sicilies have agreed to become part of the Italian Federation. Out of gratitude for Austria's help in restoring order there."

Victor Emanuel paled. The sole kingdom now outside Hapsburg dominion, it seemed Sardinia had little choice. "It would seem I must."

Franz shook his head. "Please don't feel this a conquest. I have no interest in establishing lordship over you. All I want is peace and prosperity for us all."

The Sardinian king seemed doubtful of that. But only time would show what would happen.

Franz returned to Vienna with his agreement, and once again the Chancellor had a visitor for him. Franz had ordered France to put their colonial affairs in order. Things were going to improve once plans moved ahead, but he hadn't realized that his image as protector of the people had reached even the New World.

José Antonio Saco stood as Franz stood. "Your majesty. The people of Cuba need your help."

Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Four: Colonial Concerns

Cavaignac, Louis, Stephen, and Ficquelmont met with the Emperor and listened to the proposal Franz had been given. Cavaignac spoke first. "I recognize that Spain is no match for our combined forces. I'm not certain that is a reason for unrestricted aggression."

Franz nodded seriously. "War with Spain is not an option. I've just got Two Sicilies and Sardinia into the Italian Federation, and I don't want to create tension there with a land grab. If we can't do this without a war, we're not going to do it."

"I'm not clear on why we need to do this," Stephen admitted. "I thought we were going to have a harbour in Haiti after France cleared up the mess there." Haiti was currently broke and fighting the rebellious Dominicans on the east of the island. The Two Empires needed a base of operations for the French deep sea fleet, as the agreement with the British limited French naval presence in the English channel. Exchanging aid for a safe harbour seemed possible.

"Hispaniola is in chaos now, and may end up there again," Louis reminded him. The Regent opened up a map of the Caribbean for easier reference. "A base in Cuba, say here at Guantanamo, will be much more secure."

"It also gives us more leverage in dealing with the Haitian situation," the Chancellor added.

"Spain is poor and far behind us industrially," Stephen noted. "They sold Florida to the Americans. Can we make them an offer for the islands?"

"Perhaps," the French premier admitted. "They know how vulnerable those islands are. The mere fact that we want to be friends will be incentive to be agreeable."

"If I remember correctly, Spain has colonies in the far east," Stephen commented. "Can your majesty ask the British if the Spanish might be able to use the Suez Canal?"

Franz smiled. "Actually, I have an alternate idea that might serve." He tapped the barely visible isthmus of Panama.

Only the Emperor's cousin could get away with wincing, "We're not building another canal, are we? That last one was expensive," Stephen complained.

Franz laughed. "Have faith, cousin. Like the last one, this one will eventually pay for itself."

So now they had a plan. They just needed to make their opponents agree to it. As expected, when the Spanish ambassador was summoned and heard the proposal, he was aghast. Spain still liked to think of itself as a Great Power, and this suggestion was a harsh reminder of how things had changed. "If I presented this offer to my Queen, she would slap my face. And she would be right to do so."

"So that's a no then," Louis quipped, only to receive a warning look from Franz.

"What bothers you specifically about our offer?" Franz asked.

"Spain is not the split and vulnerable state it was even ten years ago," the ambassador insisted. "We no longer sell off parts of our kingdom for temporary gain."

"And what does Spain want in the long term?"

The ambassador didn't answer at first. Franz leaned forward, looking as interested as possible. Until finally the ambassador admitted, "There are some who want a reconquest of some of the islands in the Caribbean."

"And if we could help you with that?" Franz asked. "Provide you with protectorates in the Americas along the lines of our Federations here? Then we could have our bases?"

The ambassador was intrigued now. "What did you have in mind?"

"Mexico just suffered a hard loss to the Americans. If the liberal revolts here were to spread there, many people will start to consider whether a Great Power protecting it might be better than a neighbor trying to eat it."

"That would almost certainly result in a war with the United States."

"Perhaps. But I think I have just the man to lead it," Franz said. "Is that a deal you can send to your Queen?"

It was, and the ambassador was dismissed. The Chancellor asked the obvious question, "Do we want war with the United States?"

"No, but we would have had one over Cuba eventually. We might as well use it to secure our alliance to Spain."

"And you have someone in mind to win this war?" the French premier asked.

"I have a few in mind," Franz told him. "Let's see if I can make a deal with the best of them. Chancellor, bring me Giuseppe Garibaldi."

The U.S won’t fight a war with The Dual Empire. At most they’ll whine and moan about the Monroe Doctrine, but at the end of the day they can’t do squat. What they will do, would be to extend diplomatic feelers to France and Spain to see if they can get something to look the other way. If not, the worst I can see them doing would be to attempt an alliance with Britain.
Britain while perturbed by the Dual Monarchies adventurism, won’t really commit to an alliance yet. They just won a huge political victory from The Dual Empire, and they don’t want to risk that so soon. Besides, Britain also owns colonies and around the Caribbean and also laughs on the idea of the Monroe Doctrine.

The U.S won’t fight a war with The Dual Empire. At most they’ll whine and moan about the Monroe Doctrine, but at the end of the day they can’t do squat. What they will do, would be to extend diplomatic feelers to France and Spain to see if they can get something to look the other way. If not, the worst I can see them doing would be to attempt an alliance with Britain.
Britain while perturbed by the Dual Monarchies adventurism, won’t really commit to an alliance yet. They just won a huge political victory from The Dual Empire, and they don’t want to risk that so soon. Besides, Britain also owns colonies and around the Caribbean and also laughs on the idea of the Monroe Doctrine.

Yes... BUT the reason the Monroe Doctrine stuck in the first place is that Britain supported it, they didn't want the rest of Europe getting interested in the New World where Britain already had extensive land claims and didn't feel like fighting wars over that.

Now they are allied with a Second Napoleonic Empire that wants to start building a New World Empire... Yeah, right now the USA doesn't have the strength to fight this... But they will remember this betrayal and there WILL be a reckoning one day...

Yes... BUT the reason the Monroe Doctrine stuck in the first place is that Britain supported it, they didn't want the rest of Europe getting interested in the New World where Britain already had extensive land claims and didn't feel like fighting wars over that.

Now they are allied with a Second Napoleonic Empire that wants to start building a New World Empire... Yeah, right now the USA doesn't have the strength to fight this... But they will remember this betrayal and there WILL be a reckoning one day...
Over what exactly? How exactly are you going to explain a conflict with World Powers over that of territory they don’t even own? The party currently in power will lose prestige, but I don’t see them fighting a war over it. If nothing else, I can see the Monroe Doctrine becoming a bipartisan issue. (Although this does give the U.S a reasonable excuse for war, should the chance present itself. Think the circumstances involving World War One, where the U.S went to war over their ships being sunk in a War Zone)
Britain should also be fairly content, as they are for all intents and purposes Rule The Waves(A naval treaty that gives Franz his Empire would be a crippling one, as in tonnage at 40-50 percent of Britain’s. This would be massive victory for British politicians of all stripes) It should also give Britain a more pliant U.S, now that they are more involved in World Politics.

Over what exactly? How exactly are you going to explain a conflict with World Powers over that of territory they don’t even own? The party currently in power will lose prestige, but I don’t see them fighting a war over it. If nothing else, I can see the Monroe Doctrine becoming a bipartisan issue. (Although this does give the U.S a reasonable excuse for war, should the chance present itself. Think the circumstances involving World War One, where the U.S went to war over their ships being sunk in a War Zone)
Britain should also be fairly content, as they are for all intents and purposes Rule The Waves(A naval treaty that gives Franz his Empire would be a crippling one, as in tonnage at 40-50 percent of Britain’s. This would be massive victory for British politicians of all stripes) It should also give Britain a more pliant U.S, now that they are more involved in World Politics.

Wars have been fought over less, and Britain in this era has Canada, and a few other island territories, not sure if they've sold off Oregon at this point, but they did consider playing colonial games in South America themselves.

And sure Britain rules the waves right now... But times do change, compare 19th RL Britain to the modern Britain if you don't believe me, Victoria ruled an Empire where the Sun Never Set, Elizabeth II rules a nation that can barely hang on to it's home territories of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland and just leaving an international trade bloc creates chaos.

And the United States does have a long memory for slights...

Either way, it's not the smartest thing for the Two Empires to do. Especially given that the US was already close to Russia before they both ended up on the other end of Hapsburg diplomacy.

Of course, if Franz didn't make any mistakes, we'd soon have no story. In fact, we're at that point now. I can't currently imagine the Crimean War happening without something major changing.

I also agree that the U.S will eventually wage a war to prove that they are capable of backing their claim... Eventually... But there’s zero chance of any U.S politician planning for a conflict against the Dual Monarchy. That ain’t good for business, and until the public opinion drastically changes, U.S foreign policy will not deviate to much.

Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Five: Caribbean Confederations

Garibaldi had adamantly refused to conquer Mexico for Spain, no matter how good a deal Italy got for it. But Mexico was so sick of the corruption and unrest over the past quarter century, that they were willing to look at the arrangement Franz had come up with. And in the end, no army was necessary.

Despite the fact that it seemed like bad news followed every time Franz left Vienna, he couldn't resist travelling personally to Havana, Cuba to hammer out the details. With the Chancellor and Prince Regent remaining in Vienna and Paris respectively, the government could do without him for a while.

The agreement was remarkably simple. Each country in the three interlocking federations remained independent, though an oversight committee kept them moving parallel and working together on defense and trade. In the interest of fairness among the Great Powers, the Mexican federation was overseen by Spain, Central America and the more southern Caribbean islands belonged to a British run federation, while the Two Empires got the rest of the islands.

The Americans got involved in the conference somehow, utterly furious about this blatant division of lands they considered their 'destiny'. But with the navies and armed forces of Spain, Britain, France, and Austria sitting united in Havana Harbor, it seemed a bad time to cause trouble.

Franz was more than willing to cajole his allies into settling border disputes between the Americans and Mexico and British Columbia in America's favor. This was done and the American delegates seemed less hostile after that. Less, though Franz suspected that there was still likely to be trouble from that corner in the future.

Havana was utterly charming, and Franz allowed himself to be convinced by the local government to boost the economy by putting the French naval headquarters there, rather than build his enclave in another harbor. Preparations for that took a bit of time to change from the original plan, and Franz was startlingly brown by the time he returned home.

"Alright, Chancellor. I'm ready for whatever crisis has hit in my absence."

But the Chancellor just shrugged. "Actually, things are going quite smoothly. Mr Garibaldi even grudgingly admitted that Italy seems to be better off."

"Really?" The fact that Ficquelmont had visited Garibaldi wasn't nearly as surprising as the rest. It was actually a relief because, "It may be me that has alarming news then. I had some time to think on the voyage back."

"Unless you plan to abdicate, I'm not too concerned."

Not even 40 yet, Franz laughed. "No fear of that. No, I was wondering how my allies and governments would respond if I brought my father's body back from St. Helena. I'm thinking to Corsica, if they'd allow it."

The Chancellor was unruffled. "I don't think anyone would object to that. Especially since you aren't bringing his remains here, which would be... difficult to implement. "

"Yes, yes it would. See to it. And then, see who you might meet up with in your Russian contacts."

The Chancellor raised an eyebrow. The Russian Empire had been quiet since the union of Austria and France's crowns. But then, Franz was careful almost to paranoia. "Of course, your majesty. With regards to what?"

"They've always been friendly with the Americans; it's the only power left outside of our alliance. I want to make sure they don't create conflict in the Caribbean to distract us in the Balkans."

"I will see if that thought has occurred to them," the Chancellor replied. "Carefully. We don't need to give them the idea themselves."

"A good point."

Welp, I guess Britain fully committed to the (if you can’t beat them, join them) line of thinking. Looks like South America might see some sphereing.