Foreign Relations of an Independent Confederacy?

If Successful, the Confederacy would have been...

• Isolationist

Votes: 24 9.4%
  • An International Pariah Due to Slavery

Votes: 126 49.2%
  • Aligned with the United Kingdom

Votes: 40 15.6%
  • Aligned with France

Votes: 38 14.8%
  • Aligned with the United States

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Something else altogether (please explain)

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters
So, you don't think its policy on and actions towards the USCT count? :eek:
It was bad but the very fact that the troops were colored will likely make some European countries care less about it. Remember we are discussing how the confederacy will attract allies back in the world where they won the civil war not in today's world. just how many allies did the USA's treatment of Indians lose them?

So, you don't think its policy on and actions towards the USCT count? :eek:

Policy which you haven't actually outlined. It's simply assumed outright that what you think happened is common knowledge.

Well, I've never heard of it, and doing a brief lookup doesn't reveal anything too distressing. So basically, I don't know what you're talking about. My minor research into the Confederacy's treatment of captured coloured Union soldiers doesn't scream out to me "war crimes," their treatment seemingly only slightly worse than any other captured Union soldier.

Policy which you haven't actually outlined. It's simply assumed outright that what you think happened is common knowledge.

Well, I've never heard of it, and doing a brief lookup doesn't reveal anything too distressing. So basically, I don't know what you're talking about. My minor research into the Confederacy's treatment of captured coloured Union soldiers doesn't scream out to me "war crimes," their treatment seemingly only slightly worse than any other captured Union soldier.
Well from what I have read it was common for them to be considered rebel slaves by default (as I suppose some might have been). This of course carried the sentence of death but I know it was not always enforced (some i know were enslaved (or re-enslaved).

I make the assumption that you (and others in a conversation on the Confederacy) have actually studied the Civil War, which would include knowing this.

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/civil_war_series/2/sec19.htm

Sufficient to say, your research has obviously not gone into any depth on the subject.

Honest question: Just how much have you actually studied the ACW?

The Confederacy will be make a difference by merely being there. After losing a nasty civil war that sees 1/3 of the country torn away, will the Union be in any state to challenge the French? The last thing the populace is likely to want is another conflict, especially with a Great Power, over Mexico. Will the Union have any troops to spare for any Mexican adventurism now that it has to garrison an immensely long border with a hostile power that has just come fresh from a win against them?

Well one would still have to butterfly away the Franco-Prussian War away to have Napoleon III keep his troops in Mexico.

Napoleon might think he can do both at once. I wouldn't put it entirely past him.

I'm not saying its a given, but its not beyond belief.

I make the assumption that you (and others in a conversation on the Confederacy) have actually studied the Civil War, which would include knowing this.

Even when I explicitly state I don't know much?

Sufficient to say, your research has obviously not gone into any depth on the subject.

Clearly, as I have admitted. Nevertheless my opinion is not swayed, for I did not learn anything new from your link. I maintain that what you have just shown me is no more atrocious or vile than various things the Union did, and that is generally the sort of thing to be expected in all wars.

Honest question: Just how much have you actually studied the ACW?

I would personally say I have done almost no study into it. Of course my bars are set pretty high in all things, and I think if I were to lower my bars down to just some random guy off the street, I'd know a fair bit more than him.

Maybe since Napoleon is concentrating on Mexico he tries to stay out of European wars?

Don't quote me on this but I think since the Congress of Vienna, France tried to check the rise of Prussia. If anything you will need to butterfly away Prussian expansionism and the German Empire.

Even when I explicitly state I don't know much?

"I don't know very much" and "my knowledge is so limited that I don't even know stuff that comes up in discussion regularly" are two different things. It would be like me protesting I don't know very much about British politics when claiming Labor is far right.

Clearly, as I have admitted. Nevertheless my opinion is not swayed, for I did not learn anything new from your link. I maintain that what you have just shown me is no more atrocious or vile than various things the Union did, and that is generally the sort of thing to be expected in all wars.

So you do know that the Confederacy's policy towards the USCT was far more serious than the usual POW policy, and you're still claiming it was no different than normal and that the Union did similarly?

What.

I would personally say I have done almost no study into it. Of course my bars are set pretty high in all things, and I think if I were to lower my bars down to just some random guy off the street, I'd know a fair bit more than him.
That's not saying very much.

"I don't know very much" and "my knowledge is so limited that I don't even know stuff that comes up in discussion regularly" are two different things. It would be like me protesting I don't know very much about British politics when claiming Labor is far right.

Right. If you say so.

So you do know that the Confederacy's policy towards the USCT was far more serious than the usual POW policy, and you're still claiming it was no different than normal and that the Union did similarly?

There are those loaded words again.

I know that Confederate policy towards USCT was mildly more serious than usual POW policy.

Nor did I say that the Union did similarly in the same respects as the Confederacy. I merely mean to say that ultimately, there is a pretty equal amount of moral despicable-ness in both sides.

Right. If you say so.

I do say so.

There are those loaded words again.

I know that Confederate policy towards USCT was mildly more serious than usual POW policy.

Nor did I say that the Union did similarly in the same respects as the Confederacy. I merely mean to say that ultimately, there is a pretty equal amount of moral despicable-ness in both sides.
There are those accurate terms again. Massacre: http://www.brainyquote.com/words/ma/massacre188260.html

That is not "mildly" more serious than usual POW policy. Nor is (re?)enslaving POWs.

The overall record may be about even, this aside. But that's a big aside. This is a significant stain on the Confederacy's record that isn't present on the Union's. There isn't an equivalent policy of massacring the defeated towards white POWs (I don't know enough about the Trans-Missisippi, where most of the Native American units fought, to say the same about those units).

I just don't want to derail the thread. I maintain it was only slightly worse. Words like "massacre" are merely words with specific connotations that are used to make the enemy seem worse. They don't really have true, concrete definitions, as evident by certain instances where the same event is named a massacre, or not, by different sides.

So that's enough out of me about this.

I just don't want to derail the thread. I maintain it was only slightly worse. Words like "massacre" are merely words with specific connotations that are used to make the enemy seem worse. They don't really have true, concrete definitions, as evident by certain instances where the same event is named a massacre, or not, by different sides.

So that's enough out of me about this.

Words like massacre definitely describe intentional killing above and beyond the norms of war, which is exactly what was done at the Crater, Poison Springs, Fort Pillow, and so on.

That is not slightly worse than what happened at say, Harper's Ferry when Jackson took it.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Words like massacre definitely describe intentional killing above and beyond the norms of war, which is exactly what was done at the Crater, Poison Springs, Fort Pillow, and so on.

That is not slightly worse than what happened at say, Harper's Ferry when Jackson took it.
I remember my first encounter with AtriumCarceris. I was given the following advice...
I suggest not bothering to respond to this guy, he fairly obviously has a social/empathy deficiency.

OK but why don't we get back on topic regarding how the confederacy might be able to ally with Brazil or a France which gains control of Mexico right.