Foreign Policy Goals and Achievements of a Surviving Weimar Republic

Let's say the Weimar Republic manages to survive for at least several more decades then OTL as at least a semi-functioning democracy.

What would their main goals and possible achievements be? What could a 'normal' republic as opposed to the insanity of the Nazis, achieve in Europe? For, no matter who is in charge, Germany has a list of grievances as long as your arm. What are some they could get away with without risking a general unwinnable war?

Would they stay aligned with the Soviet Union as a fellow pariah state? Or would they use Anti-Bolshevik feelings to enhance their supposed claims in the East?

Could Germany become the industrial powerhouse of Europe in such a world, like current OTL?

Could Germany lead to some type of Pan-European mindset? Would long-term peace with France somehow be achieved?

Any thoughts?

Poland Weimar Alliance
Nope, not goint to happen anytime soon. Germany wanted parts of Poland and every polish politician who would just think about the idea would face nationalist anger. Even a democratic Germany may still attack Poland, just not with the intention to carve it up and/or destroy it.

Nope, not goint to happen anytime soon. Germany wanted parts of Poland and every polish politician who would just think about the idea would face nationalist anger. Even a democratic Germany may still attack Poland, just not with the intention to carve it up and/or destroy it.
It will, Poland is their biggest trade partner, vice versa

Even if Poland wants that alliance, Germany will not do it. Even the liberal Germany of the 20's didn't break it's alliance with the USSR to befriend Poland.
They already are economic allies, It is already a matter of political will for that to happen

Last edited:
Weimar would probably win at least some of the same foreign policy ‘triumphs’ as Hitler in the 30s. They definitely get back the Saar and are able to remilitarise the Rhineland. A pushy republic would probably get more territorial concessions in the 40s.

Without Hitler's continued provocations Britain & France wouldn't have pledged Polish security, so I don't see why Germany would get sanctioned as long as it's a short, limited war.
Well Why would they not get sanctioned if they just invaded Polish teritory after they ravaged Europe from the great war

Well Why would they not get sanctioned if they just invaded Polish teritory after they ravaged Europe from the great war
Because it wouldn't be worth the trouble? Nazi-Germany wasn't even sanctioned after it broke the Versailles treaty numerous times and violated the Munich agreement.

A Weimar that survives is likely able to get some of the Nazi-era land by playing nice with the western allies

Austria was jumping to join Germany, so a democratic Weimar could still probably get an Anchluss if the Austrian government proves as unstable as OTL.

The Sudetenland is probably a no go, but to a Weimar government a friendly Czechoslovakia is better anyway.

Rhineland, remilitarization and probably Memel and all easily doable.

Germany could probably get the Danzig corridor from Poland by cooperating with France and Britain against the USSR. I don't think there would be a war, since every foreign expansion Stalin did was opportunistic and there wouldn't be much opportunity to expand in Europe, but there would be fears and Weimar could leverage military commitments again the USSR to extract concessions.

Driftless

Donor
How soon could an extended-life Weimar repudiate the war reparation debt - and get away with it? Or, at least unilaterally alter the terms (smaller amount over a short finite period). French reaction is probably the balancing point, so political timing might be an issue. Ditching even the notion of reparations would play well at home (Germany that is) for several political and financial reasons.

Germany could probably get the Danzig corridor from Poland by cooperating with France and Britain against the USSR. I don't think there would be a war, since every foreign expansion Stalin did was opportunistic and there wouldn't be much opportunity to expand in Europe, but there would be fears and Weimar could leverage military commitments again the USSR to extract concessions.
I don't see how Germany would be able to get the Danzig Corridor without a war with Poland. I think it can get Danzig without a war, I think they might be able to make some agreement with Poland for ease of access to Danzig and East Prussia. But a corridor? Poland needed that land for sea access it so desperately wanted. Danzig can be replaced with Gdynia by Poland. A corridor means no sea access.