Ford Wins 76: What Happens in 1980?

Having read a number of American Political TLs focusing on this point in history, I have long speculated what the effects of a Ford victory in the 1976 election would have been. In OTL, Ford only needed to shift a few more votes in Ohio and Mississippi in order win the day, having already rebounded from a thirty point deficit at the time of the GOP Convention.

With this POD, how would the 1980 race be effected? Republicans would have by this point, held the White House for 12 years, and Ford's second term would have been during hard times both economically, and in terms of foreign policy (i.e: The Iran Hostage Crisis). On the Republican side, Reagan, the OTL GOP Nominee, would face the challenge of overcoming Vice President Bob Dole, who would be the first in line for the Republican nomination. Further, the OTL Republican strategy of blaming the incumbent could not be used.

On the Democratic side, who could emerge as the nominee? Many candidates like Ted Kennedy, Hugh Carrey, Walter Mondale or even Gary Hart could have a shot, and with the mentioned handicaps for the Republicans it could be a Democratic landslide.

So what kind of possible outcomes would emerge in a Ford Victory scenario? What kind of election would 1980 be, and what kind of tenure could a Democratic or Republican President expect come 1981?

Forgot to submit Electoral Map:

Ford/Dole (R) 273 Electoral Votes

Carter/Mondale (D) 265 Electoral Votes

1976election.png

A Democrat probably wins. Jeff Greenfield had Gary Hart beating Reagan, but the odds are still in Ted Kennedy's favor.

I'd think Kennedy would run, perhaps Gary Hart and Mondale as well. Overall, I'd predict a Kennedy victory in both the primary and the general.

I'd think Kennedy would run, perhaps Gary Hart and Mondale as well. Overall, I'd predict a Kennedy victory in both the primary and the general.

Not gonna be Hart. Mondale's more likely than him. Mo Udall and/or Scoop Jackson (Udall especially) could run again. On the GOP side, Reagan probably, if not I would say maybe Howard Baker.

Not gonna be Hart. Mondale's more likely than him. Mo Udall and/or Scoop Jackson (Udall especially) could run again. On the GOP side, Reagan probably, if not I would say maybe Howard Baker.

Could Dole be a possibility? Or would his connections to Ford be too much for an incumbent party?

Could Dole be a possibility? Or would his connections to Ford be too much for an incumbent party?

Connections... as in being VP? That's a little more than just a connection. But honestly it depends how successful the second term is. That said, it will be very hard for a twelve-year incumbent party to win re-election, no matter if it's Dole (who isn't a very good candidate anyway). Lowell Weicker would probably run, as I imagine more liberal Republicans, if only slightly, than IOTL.

Ford and Kissinger probably do a much better job wth U.S. foreign policy than Carter did in OTL. The Shah holds onto power in Iran with U.S. support, so there is no successful 1979 Revolution or U.S./Iranian Hostage crisis. However, economy is still dismal which pulls down Ford's approval poll numbers.

The GOP nomination battle would likely be VP Bob Dole (a "youngster" at age 57) vs. fmr Governor Ronald Reagan of California. George H.W. Bush might not run at all, as he would have likely remained on as Ford's CIA Director after 1976 and possibly been later appointed by Ford as either the first U.S. Ambassador to Red China in early 1979 or to a higher-ranking cabinet position. So, Dole is probably the only Ford Administration official to run for president in 1980. Perhaps a few other ambitious Republican also-rans like Senator Howard Baker jump in the race too. With a bad economy, Reagan has a very good shot against VP Dole, who was never a strong presidential candidate in any of his three runs in OTL (he won the GOP nomination in 1996 because of weak/unqualified opposition and he was next in line).

On the Democratic side, Carter is faulted for blowing a winnable race against Ford in an otherwise Democratic year of 1976, but trys again in 1980 because he came so very close in 1976. Scoop Jackson runs again. Unlike 1976--when Senator Ted Kennedy's decision not to run resulted in a wide-open field full of liberal/left Democratic candidates who split the vote to the benefit of southern moderate Jimmy Carter--Kennedy decides to run in 1980. Kennedy clears the field of most liberal/left candidates except Gov. Jerry Brown of California and one or two others. First-term Senator Gary Hart has to chose between running for President in 1980 and seeking re-election to the U.S. Senate. With Ted Kennedy running and polls showing him to be the clear frontrunner through 1977-79, Hart opts to run again for the U.S. Senate and wait his turn until 1984 or 1988. Chappaquiddick is a negative factor dragging on Kennedy, but doesn't hurt him too badly in the Democratic primaries given the bad economy.

A Reagan-Kennedy race is very likely...

This reminds me. Alexander Cockburn(RIP) was one of those leftists who really doesn't see a difference between Democrats and Republicans, and actually thinks some Republicans are more progressive. When Gerald Ford died, he wrote an appreciative obituary, in which he outlined his reasons for thinking that a Ford victory in '76 would have been better from a left-wing perspective.

Farewell To Our Greatest President

Kennedy may well not have run -- despite the family (and public) pressure, he never really wanted to run. OTL, he only ran because he hated Carter and felt nobody else had the stature to challenge him.

Absent Carter's presidency, though, Kennedy may well have sat out the race, as he did nearly every other open nomination contest in his lifetime - 1976, 1984, 1988, etc.

Also, re: Ford and Iran - I always see this asserted, that any other president than Carter would have somehow kept the Shah in power. My question: how? Unless you're just speculating about butterfly effects, there is little the US could have done at that point which could have kept the Shah in charge. :D

Last time I remember us doing this, we agreed Reagan was most likely to get the GOP nomination, but would still lose the general to the Democrats -- I'd say I'm still partial to said Democrat being Jerry Brown (assuming he holds back on the kookier ideas, like Buddhist Economics).

Having read a number of American Political TLs focusing on this point in history, I have long speculated what the effects of a Ford victory in the 1976 election would have been. In OTL, Ford only needed to shift a few more votes in Ohio and Mississippi in order win the day, having already rebounded from a thirty point deficit at the time of the GOP Convention.

With this POD, how would the 1980 race be effected? Republicans would have by this point, held the White House for 12 years, and Ford's second term would have been during hard times both economically, and in terms of foreign policy (i.e: The Iran Hostage Crisis). On the Republican side, Reagan, the OTL GOP Nominee, would face the challenge of overcoming Vice President Bob Dole, who would be the first in line for the Republican nomination. Further, the OTL Republican strategy of blaming the incumbent could not be used.

On the Democratic side, who could emerge as the nominee? Many candidates like Ted Kennedy, Hugh Carrey, Walter Mondale or even Gary Hart could have a shot, and with the mentioned handicaps for the Republicans it could be a Democratic landslide.

So what kind of possible outcomes would emerge in a Ford Victory scenario? What kind of election would 1980 be, and what kind of tenure could a Democratic or Republican President expect come 1981?

Read Jeff Greenfield's TL?

One thing I think we have to consider is whether or not Ford would have done the same as Carter and nominated Volcker to be Fed chairman. In OTL it was his policies that were attributed to creating the economic recovery that saved Reagan in '84. Without Volcker, a Democrat might have a tough time getting reelected.

Democratic landslide, on the scale of 1984.

Also, Kissinger was leaving if Ford got reelected. I doubt there would be a hostage crisis though.

Reagan/Kennedy or Brown/Kennedy. Expect a big victory for the Dems, and a southerner to be nominated for VP on the Dem ticket. Lloyd Bentsen perhaps?

Deleted member 16736

I thought Greenfield's 1980 timeline was a bit...forced, may be the word. It felt like he wanted to make it look like 2008, so he said "Okay, clearly Ted = Hillary, Ford = Bush, aaaaaannnnnnd Hart, yep Hart can be Obama. Oh, and Reagan's going to pick O'Connor because we have to have an inexperienced woman for the Republicans even if it makes no sense whatsoever." It was such a disappointment after the first two parts of his book.

Anyhow, with that said I think Kennedy was a very beatable candidate that year. In OTL his campaign was, to paraphrase Joe MCGinniss, a lazy grope at the nomination, and I can't think of why his attempt in this ATL would be that much different. If you thought he was scrutinized as Carter's challenger, just imagine what he'll go through as a frontrunner for the nomination. I would imagine he'd draw some serious challengers, though probably not Hart or Carter. Though widely considered a leading VP candidate, I can see Bentsen going for it himself. He'd be a good moderate southern Democratic candidate. If Brown or Mondale is in the race, one of those two might just take away enough of Ted's support to help the Texan.

On the Republican side, I can see it turning into a slugfest between Dole and Reagan pretty much immediately. I don't see a whole lot of other options. Maybe Anderson enters the race, but his voice is going to be completely drowned out by the Administration vs. Anti-Administration battle being played out. I think Reagan wins by playing off of the failures of the Ford administration. Either way, whoever loses is going to be damaged goods for 1984 and won't be able to do much else politically ever again.

I think you'd probably see Reagan pair up with a Moderate governor from outside the beltway, just to reinforce how little he has to do with Ford's administration. A rust-belter like William Milliken of Michigan would probably do very nicely for him, though I've never seen the man speak so maybe he's just a dud. But someone like that, I think, would be a good choice as it would neutralise any threat of Anderson breaking away from the party for an independent run.

Then it's all up to who wins the Democratic nomination. Bentsen might choose Carrey or Brown to get liberals on board. Kennedy might pick Bentsen if things didn't get too nasty between them on the trail. Personally, I think a Brown for VP nomination would be a disaster. This is a year after he was stuck with "Moonbeam" after all, and he'd be just as gaffe prone as Biden. He'd do a great job at making whoever the Democrat's nominee turns out to be look completely unserious and that would make the election much closer than it would need to be.

In the end the Democrats win, but I think Reagan vs. Kennedy would be a lot closer than people tend to think. Bentsen, in my estimation, would trounce Reagan easily.

One intersting small detail to TTL -- since the GOP still has Reagan, and the Dems are much more motivated, 1980 voter turnout is going to be a lot higher than OTL...

I think Democrats are favorites to win 1980 simply because Republicans will have held office for 12 years, and voters would be ready to give the other party a chance. When you add in stagflation, it makes that outcome even more likely. I'll leave the others to go into more detail about the Presidential race, but I'd like to focus on what a Ford Presidency means for Senate elections in 1978 and 1980, because this will have a huge impact on what a possible Democratic President after 1980 would be able to accomplish.

With a President Ford during the 1978 midterms, you can expect a shift in voting percentages away from Republicans and toward the Democrats compared to what they were in President Carter's midterm, as people tend to vote against the party in control of the Presidency. I think Democrats still lose Colorado, Maine, and Mississippi, because those elections were blowouts in the OTL so a shift of a few percentage points would not change anything. They might still lose South Dakota, especially if Senator Abourezk retires. He only served one term and was just 47 years old at the time, so I'm not sure if his decision was based on a tough re-election fight in a bad midterm situation, or if he was really just tired of politics. Since I don't know what his intentions were and what the numbers of a matchup between him and Pressler would be, I'll say he still retires and Pressler wins the seat. So that's 4 pickups for Republicans.

For the Democrats in 1978, I'd say they still pickup Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Jersey, and Oklahoma as in the OTL. Texas and Virginia were both decided by a half a percent or less, so with a national swing of a few points those should be pickups for the Dems too. Illinois, New Mexico, and North Carolina would be much closer, giving the Democrats a chance to win some of those seats. I think Helms survives in North Carolina, but Democrats win Illinois and New Mexico. So that's 9 possible pickups for the Democrats.

Without Mondale becoming VP the clusterfuck in Minnesota doesn't occur, with Governor Anderson resigning office to take the seat and new Governor Perpich being involved and both of them losing their elections in the midterms. Now Mondale stays in office and should win re-election in 1978. Humphrey still dies, and his wife is still appointed to fill the office until the special election in 1978. But now Anderson can run for that seat while finishing up his second term as Governor, and Perpich will run for Governor and both probably win in this timeline. Then there are some of the close races Democratic incumbents lost that could switch in this timeline. A shift of just a couple of points from Republican to Democrat should save Dick Clark in Iowa, and McIntyre in New Hampshire.

So after the 1978 midterms we have 9 Democratic pickups to 4 Republican, giving Democrats a net gain of 5 seats, to bring their numbers up to 66 seats in the Senate, while Republicans have 33, and Harry F. Byrd, Jr. of Virginia as the lone Independent who caucuses with the Dems.

The 1980 Senate races will have even bigger changes without the Reagan wave to bring in 12 new Republican Senators. Even if Reagan runs in this timeline and gets the nomination, the conditions will not be there for a Republican wave election. If anything the momentum would be with the Democrats after 12 years of Republican Presidents. Democrats would be defending a bunch of the seats held by the Watergate Babies, so there aren't too many pickup opportunities. The only possible close races of Republican controlled seats are in Arizona, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Pennsylvania. Goldwater held his seat by just 1.1% in a Republican wave year, so he's toast. Al D'Amato defeated Elizabeth Holtzman in New York by just 1.4%, so he will lose too, and Holtzman becomes the first Female Senator from New York instead of Hillary Clinton 20 years later. I think Don Nickles still holds Oklahoma for the Republicans in this timeline. He won by 10% in the OTL, and even though it is much closer this time, that's a big gap to make up. Packwood probably wins re-election in Oregon in a squeaker, so another Republican hold. In Pennsylvania, Specter won the seat of retiring Schweiker by just 2% in the OTL. If Schweiker still retires then Flaherty probably beats Specter. So we have 3 likely pickups for the Democrats in 1980.

As for possible Democratic holds, there are 6 seats that Republicans won by less than 3.5%, so I say they definitely stay Dem this year. Those are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, North Carolina, and Wisconsin. Another 5 were won by less than 8.4%, so when you take out the wave those become much closer. I think Democrats could hold all of those as well if this becomes a Democratic wave election. The only seat Democrats will probably lose is McGoverns in South Dakota, which was lost by 18.8% in the OTL. So we have a possible Republican pickup of 1 seat.

That means the Democrats win 3 to the Republicans 1, for a net gain of 2 seats, bringing their numbers up to 68 Senate seats, against 31 Republicans, and Independent Harry F. Byrd, Jr. of Virgina who caucuses with the Democrats. With 68/69 votes in the Senate as well as even bigger control of the House, and the Presidency, the Democrats could pass a lot of their agenda in 1981-1982.

If Reagan wants TTL's GOP nomination in 1980, he gets it. He nearly took the nomination from Ford 4 years earlier, so I can't see him having any trouble against Dole. I think it's safe to assume that with simelar events to OTL's Carter term playing out, the Ford administration would be more unpopular in 1980 than at the time of the 1976 primaries, this gives Reagan a further primary boost against Dole. He may even have an easier time in TTL's 1980 primaries than OTL's equivalent.

1980 is very likely a Democratic year though, so I'm not sure Reagan would even want the nomination. If Reagan doesn't enter the primaries, Dole is the next in line for the GOP nomination.

I'm not sure who the dems nominate, but a Carter nomination is next to ASB and I can't see Mondale being able to escape the taint of chucking away an easily winnable election 4 years earlier either. My guess is that the field will be made up of a large number of those who entered the 1976 primaries and a few people who put themselves forward for OTL's 1984 and 1988 nominations.

Either way, the Dems will be eager not to lose another election and will want someone charismatic enough to sustain the innicial lead against Reagan (or Dole), which probably rules out Scoop Jackson. I'm not sure Ted Kennedy ends up with the nomination, given his faults. Having said that, they're already known and it's possible that the Dems may take a 'better the devel you know' attitude when it comes to Kennedy and nominate him anyway. If not, Yudal is probably the nominee, though Brown may have an outside chance if he's lucky.

I think any Democrat would end up winning that election though, by a Landslide if Dole is the Republican nominee, but if it's Reagan it'll be closer.