For Want of A Sandwich - A Franz Ferdinand Lives Wikibox TL

Jacinda Ardern
JacindaArdern.jpg

Jacinda Kate Laurell Ardern (born Salt Lake City, UT July 26, 1980) is an American politician who served as the U. S. Representative for Arizona’s 7th district from 2017 to 2023. She is a member of the Progressive Party.

Born to a Mormon family that immigrated from New Zealand (today Aotearoa) to Utah in the 1950s, Ardern grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah and Phoenix, Arizona, where her father worked as a police officer. Joining the Progressive Party at the age of 17, she attended the University of Phoenix, graduating in 2001 with a BA in politics and public relations. She worked in New York City, volunteering at a soup kitchen and worked on a worker’s rights campaign, before leaving to Washington where she worked as an aide to Senator Tom Udall before settling in Phoenix, Arizona.

In 2011, Ardern was elected to the Arizona House of Representatives, representing the 16th district from 2011 to 2013 and the 27th from 2013 to 2014, she resigned to run for the Progressive nomination to Arizona’s 7th district, in order to succeed outgoing Representative Ed Pastor, who was retiring. Encompassing much of inner Phoenix in an election that saw the Progressives take back control of both Houses, Ardern was elected to a wide majority to represent the 7th District, beginning as a freshwoman on January 3, 2015.
A member of the Committees on Natural Resources and Oversight and Reformed, Ardern became over the course of her four terms a wide-recognized name in U.S. politics, belonging to the left wing of the Progressive Party, campaigning for the 34th Amendment and the modification of the 13th, GRSM equality, drugs decriminalization while also serving his first term while pregnant with her only child, a daughter who was born in June 2018. Her staunch support of the Health Emergency Powers Act during the Wuchang Pneumonia Pandemic made her a darling of the Feingold administration, hinting at a national future, while her support of the Muslim community after the 2019 Phoenix shootings, seeing her wearing an islamic veil, made international headlines, while growing resent from the LDS Church, from which she had grown distant in later life.

After hinting at a primary challenge directed against Senator Gabrielle Giffords, Ardern announced her candidacy for the 2022 Arizona gubernatorial election, challenging incumbent Republican Governor Jeff Flake. Seen as a tossup in spite of dire Progressive outlook, due to Flake’s poor ratings, the race was seen as winnable for all three major parties. Clinching the Progressive nomination with a resounding 73 %, Ardern was able to lead a fierce fight against Governor Flake and the Conservative candidate, Steve Gaynor, winning the debates. On election day, November 8, she was able to make a close second to Flake’s 40,3 %, winning 39,7 %, well past Gaynor’s 20 %. In the runoff on December 6, 2022, she was unable to defeat Flake, losing 51,4 to 48,6 %. In Arizona, the Progressives also lost their seat in the Senate that same year.

Even if Ardern’s name since losing the Arizona gubernatorial race and leaving Congress has been touted for the 2026 election and for running against Senator J. D. Hayworth in 2024, she has repeatedly reiterated her plans to concentrate on her personal life and retire from politics.

Last edited:
Might as well ask, but any chance you could do stuff on how different developments in this world affected the impact of natural disasters like the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami or the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake?
It was imagined, I'm currently working on the year 2010, so you should see some things on the Haiti earthquake.
Some interesting names on here, certainly!

Wow! Definitely love this kind of stuff, gives a lot of hints to how the Senate is made up in this timeline! Would not have expected to see the Progressives hold down the Senate for so many Congresses, definitely indicates an America a little more to the left of OTL. Fun to see Patterson take up what I assume to be the Byrd role of this timeline as the big Southern mainstay and really cool to see Landon in the Senate!
Thank you ! The Progressives held a supermajority during most of Feingold's term but lost 10 seats in the 2022 elections, and the Conservatives risk to take some seats in 2024... Interestingly, Strom Thurmond was the most senior Senator for many decades but the Conservatives fell short of one seat for him to hold the President Pro Tempore job.
What is the country in Western Canada? Im looking from page 1.

Borealia.

I've thought of using this name (or the very similar Boreala) for the future Nordic American country in one of my TL's. Would you be cool with that?

I’m not the creator so you would have to ask @MaskedPickle.

@MaskedPickle, would you be OK with me using the name Borealia (or Boreala) in one of my TL's?
Absolutely @Gabingston ! It's actually one of the names that were considered for Canada IOTL and I already saw it in a few timelines around here. So I have absolutely no copyright on the name.

Does "repeal of the 13th" mean repeal of the "except as a punishment for crime" clause? Reinstating slavery seems like a very unlikely platform for the Progressive Party.

Putting allowing slavery on party platform is perfect way to commit political suicide in 21st century.

Good to know. Thanks!
You're welcome !
Mo Rocca the OTL comedian?
As an easter egg for her being in a relationship with a former TV show contestant... Let's he's a namesake.
Okay Ardern in Arizona is buckwild and I love it!

Really never know what this TL will hit you with next…
Thank you very much, having learned that she was raised Mormon, I couldn't but imagine such a travel.
Does "repeal of the 13th" mean repeal of the "except as a punishment for crime" clause? Reinstating slavery seems like a very unlikely platform for the Progressive Party.

Or for any party, really, at least those who can actually win elections.

Putting allowing slavery on party platform is perfect way to commit political suicide in 21st century.
Sorry, it was a translation mistake, it was about the crime punishment part. There are some politicians, though...

At the risk of reducing a (very interesting) list of Governors down to just an error, unless Tate Reeves has changed his name and was born on a different date in this timeline I'm pretty sure that he's not supposed to be still in the Governor's seat here.

Also, North Dakota and Montana in Progressive hands! Hot damn!

At the risk of reducing a (very interesting) list of Governors down to just an error, unless Tate Reeves has changed his name and was born on a different date in this timeline I'm pretty sure that he's not supposed to be still in the Governor's seat here.

Also, North Dakota and Montana in Progressive hands! Hot damn!
My mistake, I forgot to manually replace Tate Reeves' picture.
The Progressives historically had a strong presence in the Midwest, thanks to agrarian policies, but their advance is now challenged.
Interesting coterie of governors. Would Mandela Barnes still be named such in this timeline?
Nelson Mandela is much more obscure ITTL, but he is still renowned among Progressives.
When did DC become a state ITTL as there is a state called New Columbia ITTL in the Governor list?

This was mentioned way back on page 17. It got statehood in 1978.
Thanks for the correction ! New Columbia is still abridged as DC to avoid confusion with North Carolina.

Diana Spencer
DianaSpencer.jpg

Diana Frances Spencer (born Sandringham, England on 1 July 1961) is a British American actress, dancer and philanthropist. She won the BAFTA Award for Best Actress and the Academy Award for Best Actress for Elizabeth (1998), the BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actress for Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994), the Oliver Award for Best Actress for Les Liaisons Dangereuses (1986) and the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Play for Uncle Vanya (2000).

Born into a prestigious noble family, being the fourth of five children of John Spencer, Viscount Althorp (1924-1992) and Frances Spencer, Viscountess Althorp (née Roche, 1936-2004), Spencer was closely allied with the British royal family, as she was the namesake of a prospective Princess of Wales and played with scions of the Royal family. Spencer was seven years old when her parents divorced, with unsteady relationships with her stepparents : after attending the Institut Alpin Videmanette in Switzerland, Spencer worked as a dance instructor and a nanny in London before deciding to pursue a career as an actress in the United States, enrolling in the Actors Studio before relocating to Hollywood.

After starring in a few plays and B-movies, Spencer got her acting break after starring in Staying Alive (1983), meeting her future husband John Travolta, while crossing the Atlantic at various times, having a career of her own in the West End and British cinema, getting a Oliver Award for her portrayal of Cécile Volanges in Les Liaisons Dangereuses. Spencer became a major actress after her portrayal of Fiona in Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) , starring later in Richard III (1995), Mary Reilly (1996) and was celebrated for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth (1998), winning the Academy Award and the BAFTA Award the same year, after she had suffered a life-threatening car accident in New York City in 1997.

After 2000, Spencer concentrated on a Broadway career, being again awarded for her portrayal of Sonia in Uncle Vanya, and also her philanthropic activities, passing on the title role of Bridget Jones’s Diary and Cold Mountain. She returned to the screen in the 2010s, playing Queen Hippolyta in the Wonder Woman franchise and the Prime Minister in the TV show Bodyguard.

Diana Spencer, considered one of the highest-paid actress in the early 2000s, is also renowned as a fashion icon, modeling for Dior, Guerlain and Versace, and a major philanthropist, having spoken in favor of GRSM rights, AIDS treatment, landmine removal, mental illness treatment and interfaith dialogue. She is a major fundraiser for the Labour Party in the United Kingdom and the Progressive Party in the United States, being a major backer of President Russ Feingold’s both presidential runs and of her fellow actress Meghan Markle’s campaign for Mayor of Los Angeles in 2021.

A major fixture of gossip and tabloid press since her well-publicized marriage with John Travolta (1986-1992), she married with movie producer Dodi Fayed after her car accident in 1997, divorcing in 2005, before marrying Khalistani-British heart surgeon Hasnat Khan in 2007 after an on-off relationship. She had numerous relationships internationally. Spencer took dual citizenship in 1986 and has two children with John Travolta, William, a banker, and Henry, better known as Harry Spencer, who went on a successful music career as a swing singer.