For Want of A Sandwich - A Franz Ferdinand Lives Wikibox TL

Abu Dhabi
AbuDhabi.jpg

Emir Mohammad bin Zayed of Abu Dhabi
MohammedbinZayed.jpg

Mohammad bin Zayed al Nayhan (born 11 March 1961) is the current Emir of Abu Dhabi, ruling since 24 January 2014, having succeeded his brother Khalifa bin Zayed.
One of the many sons of long-ruling Emir Zayed bin Sultan (1966-2004), he inherited his vision of a strong Emirate, as his father couldn’t achieve his goal of uniting the former Trucial States in the 1970s, instead opting for independence in 1973, establishing good links with the neighbouring countries (above all the Hashemite Empire, that continues to hold territorial claims over the small Emirate) and relying on oil revenue. At his father’s death, Mohammad bin Zayed, educated at the Prussian Military Academy, was the power behind the throne for his brother Khalifa, before finally acceeding to the throne himself after his predecessor’s fatal stroke in 2014.
Heading one of the wealthiest countries in the Middle East, himself considered one of the wealthiest monarchs in the world, Mohammad bin Zayed has portrayed himself as a patron of the arts and finance, investing massively in high technology and real estate in order to negotiate Abu Dhabi’s transition from massive oil exploitation, while taking a few symbolic steps in Abu Dhabian women’s emancipation. In fact, Abu Dhabi remains one of the few absolute monarchies in the world, where freedom of expression is persecuted, Islam remains rigorist and all civil liberties heavily scrutinized. The Emir has portrayed the recent troubles in the Hashemite Empire, Dubai and Sharjah as a very efficient scapegoat.

I haven't read over everything posted thus far, but to hazard a guess, I assume it's due to the Kingdom taking advantage of the collapse of the British Raj to score some of the historically-contested territories,
According to the map, there Nepal holds ladakhi and Bihari lands.....both groups which old Nepalese elite considered 'mongrels' and 'barbarians'......no one would have had the appetite in the early 20th century to annex Bihari and ladakhi lands in the Nepalese government.....despotic as the Rana's were, they were even more racist than the normal Nepali aristocrat.
That's a reasonable objection, I'll admit that I'm not as well-versed in our people's 20th century history as I'd like to be. That being said, it could be that the racist elites took a decent amount of inspiration from the CUP and the Ottomans and decided to annex said lands for the purpose of expelling the so-called mongrels and barbarians in order to settle more Nepalis in the area, which is horrific, but something potentially plausible given the attitudes of the Ranas. Also, it seems like Nepal's outright annexed Bhutan, which I'm okay with tbh. Regardless, we don't know the history or what MaskedPickle's got planned for the Subcontinent, so this could all just be wild speculation.

Surely I don't know much about Nepalese history, but let's say that there is a reason for this expansion... Little hint : it wasn't during the days of the Raj.

The map-painter in me despises this border gore and wishes to see it end immediately.

But I'm interested in this story. Will we get more updates about Franz Ferdinand before his death?

If that map is the result of Franz Ferdinand living, then I am glad that he died. Still, looks nice so far.

I'm sorry for my very poor skills at mapmaking and I'm sorry I hurt your eyes : it due to the means, I'm awfully bad at Photoshop and I work with... Paint. If there is any help for better maps, I'm eager to receive some.

Great to see you've brought this back, MaskedPickle! Consider me subscribed.

Belinda von Stronach, though? I see what you did there...

Some people in this timeline didn't immigrate.

Third Balkan War (1914-1915)
ThirdBalkanWar.png
Thir

The Third Balkan War, also known as the Albanian War, was a conflict centered in Albania between Greece on one side, an alliance of Serbia and Montenegro on the other, and later Italy that lasted from November, 2 1914 to April, 23 1915.

Albania had become independent in the aftermath of the First Balkan War, on November 1912 ; Wilhelm von Wied was named as Prince of Albania on February, 21 1914 by the Great Powers ; this petty German noble, who took the regnal name of Skanderberg II, accepted to rule a country that was widely seen in Europe as backward, poor and lawless and that had remained in a state of anarchy. In spite of the help of the International Gendarmerie, led by Dutch officers, a massive islamist revolt broke out in Central Albania against his chief minister, Essat Pasha Toptani, and foreign domination. Essat Pasha, an opportunistic man who had already been able to surrender the fortress of Shkodër, in northern Albania, to the Serbs in order to cultivate their approval, quickly rode on the wave of discontent and attempted a coup, that ultimately failed and resulted in him taking arms with the rebels. Surrounded by rebels, Skanderbeg II left Albania on September 1914.

The War was triggered by the Greek invasion of Northern Epirus in October 1914, as the sizeable Greek minorty had declared its independence in February 1914. To which Serbia and Montenegro reacted by an invasion of northern Albania. The war quickly turned to a war of attrition between the three belligerants, due to the mountainous and harsh landscapes of Albania, pitting them against Albanian rebels and the unrecognized government of Essat Pasha Toptani (who had declared himself Prince of Albania after Skanderbeg II went into exile), and small skirmishes in Macedonia between Serbia and Greece. Winter forced both sides to a truce in Macedonia.

With Spring, Italy, which supported Essat Pasha and held its own colonial views over Albania, threatened to intervene and occupied Valora on March, 4 1915. Failing to make any moves against the Greeks, and with Serbians approaching the Albanian capital of Durazzo, Italy threatened to call to arms its allies Austria-Hungary and Germany, who were on cold terms with Serbia. Unprepared for a war on this scale, Serbia agreed to peace talks that resulted into the Treaty of Corfu on April, 23 1915.

Under the terms of the treaty, Valona remained under Italian occupation ; Essat Pasha Toptani was recognized as Prime Minister and Regent of Albania, even if Skanderbeg II remained in exile ; Northern Epirus was annexed by Greece ; northern Albania was split between Montenegro and Serbia. Essat Pasha Toptani's rule, supported by Serbia and Montenegro, never went further than the area surrounding Tirana.

View attachment 588010Thir

The Third Balkan War, also known as the Albanian War, was a conflict centered in Albania between Greece on one side, an alliance of Serbia and Montenegro on the other, and later Italy that lasted from November, 2 1914 to April, 23 1915.

Albania had become independent in the aftermath of the First Balkan War, on November 1912 ; Wilhelm von Wied was named as Prince of Albania on February, 21 1914 by the Great Powers ; this petty German noble, who took the regnal name of Skanderberg II, accepted to rule a country that was widely seen in Europe as backward, poor and lawless and that had remained in a state of anarchy. In spite of the help of the International Gendarmerie, led by Dutch officers, a massive islamist revolt broke out in Central Albania against his chief minister, Essat Pasha Toptani, and foreign domination. Essat Pasha, an opportunistic man who had already been able to surrender the fortress of Shkodër, in northern Albania, to the Serbs in order to cultivate their approval, quickly rode on the wave of discontent and attempted a coup, that ultimately failed and resulted in him taking arms with the rebels. Surrounded by rebels, Skanderbeg II left Albania on September 1914.

The War was triggered by the Greek invasion of Northern Epirus in October 1914, as the sizeable Greek minorty had declared its independence in February 1914. To which Serbia and Montenegro reacted by an invasion of northern Albania. The war quickly turned to a war of attrition between the three belligerants, due to the mountainous and harsh landscapes of Albania, pitting them against Albanian rebels and the unrecognized government of Essat Pasha Toptani (who had declared himself Prince of Albania after Skanderbeg II went into exile), and small skirmishes in Macedonia between Serbia and Greece. Winter forced both sides to a truce in Macedonia.

With Spring, Italy, which supported Essat Pasha and held its own colonial views over Albania, threatened to intervene and occupied Valora on March, 4 1915. Failing to make any moves against the Greeks, and with Serbians approaching the Albanian capital of Durazzo, Italy threatened to call to arms its allies Austria-Hungary and Germany, who were on cold terms with Serbia. Unprepared for a war on this scale, Serbia agreed to peace talks that resulted into the Treaty of Corfu on April, 23 1915.

Under the terms of the treaty, Valona remained under Italian occupation ; Essat Pasha Toptani was recognized as Prime Minister and Regent of Albania, even if Skanderbeg II remained in exile ; Northern Epirus was annexed by Greece ; northern Albania was split between Montenegro and Serbia. Essat Pasha Toptani's rule, supported by Serbia and Montenegro, never went further than the area surrounding Tirana.

Serbia and Greece were allied at the time and had excellent reason to stay allied, namely fear of Bulgaria. Why they'd fight for Albania of all things when they don't even have opposing goals there, since the Serbs/Montenegrins cared about the north and the Greeks about the south which was already under the control of Greek rebels? If the Serbs and Montenegrins invade the north the Greeks will just cheer them on. I'll also note that the Greeks were on the brink of war with the Ottoman empire so would likely want to stick to the Corfu protocol till the crisis with the Ottomans was resolved one way or the other. In OTL they were greenlighted by the entente to occupy North Epirus in October 1914.

One also notes that the Italian queen is the daughter of the king of Montenegro, which will affect to some extend at least the Italian stance... of course the Italians are themselves mostly interested at Valona.

Grigori Rasputin
Rasputin.jpg

... The assassination of Rasputin at the hands of Chionya Guseva on June, 29 1914 didn't put an halt to the nefarious rumors linking him with the Imperial Couple : on the contrary, it was said that Empress Alexandra fell into stupor after the Mad Monk's demise and would fall deep into depression, fearing that the death of her holy man would mean the death of her only son Alexei.

Some scholars considered that Nikolai II, isolated by the depression of his wife, the lack of spiritual support from Rasputin and the illness of his son, decided to grant some constitutional reforms during the year 1915, in the aftermath of the Witte Riots. It was not due to a change of heart, according to this theory, but out of warriness : the same would explain the change of succession rules to male-preference primogeniture, as all hope seemed lot of Czarevich Alexei.

The figure of Rasputin remains popular in some circles in Russia, particularly in the aftermath of the Vladivostok Attack. Even if the Russian Orthodox Church refuse to acknowledge him as a holy man, various sects appeared throughout the country, hailing Rasputin either as a holy defender of the monarchy or even as the Second Coming of Christ himself ; one such example could be the cult established near Abakan, in the Siberian Taiga, under mystic Vissarion (real name Sergey Torop), who founded the True Church of Saint Gregory. Rumour has it that this cult promotes self-flagellation, self-multilation and sexual orgies in the manner of the Khlysty and Skoptsy that had influenced Rasputin himself. These Rasputin-inspired cults have of course failed to gain the approval of the Church and the State.

Serbia and Greece were allied at the time and had excellent reason to stay allied, namely fear of Bulgaria. Why they'd fight for Albania of all things when they don't even have opposing goals there, since the Serbs/Montenegrins cared about the north and the Greeks about the south which was already under the control of Greek rebels? If the Serbs and Montenegrins invade the north the Greeks will just cheer them on. I'll also note that the Greeks were on the brink of war with the Ottoman empire so would likely want to stick to the Corfu protocol till the crisis with the Ottomans was resolved one way or the other. In OTL they were greenlighted by the entente to occupy North Epirus in October 1914.

One also notes that the Italian queen is the daughter of the king of Montenegro, which will affect to some extend at least the Italian stance... of course the Italians are themselves mostly interested at Valona.

I'm deeply sorry if my Balkanic plans fail to gain some approval... I had based my invention of an Albanian conflict due to the terrible state of disarray in which Albania was in ; as of a Serbian-Greek break, it better served my scenario and I had relied on the most precarious state of diplomacy between these states to explain it, with a twist on Italian intervention.

As of Ottoman-Greek troubles, well, you will see it real sson in action.

It was not due to a change of heart, according to this theory, but out of warriness : the same would explain the change of succession rules to male-preference primogeniture, as all hope seemed lot of Czarevich Alexei.

With Rasputin out of the picture, the Tzar might get actual doctors to look at the boy. He is, after all, related to some of the most powerful families of the time, through his mother - link. And speaking of Alix aka Alexandra Feodorovna, she is 40-ish in 1914, so she might pop a late son too (a spare in case something happens to Alexei)

(And according to this link, by the 1920s or so people already knew it was an inherited disease)

Jamshid bin Abdullah, Sultan of Zanzibar
Jamshid.png

Jamshid bin Abdullah (born September, 16 1929) is the eleventh and reigning Sultan of Zanzibar, succeeding his father Abdullah on July, 1 1963 and ruling the country since its independence from Great Britain on April, 7 1972. Among the longest-reigning monarchs in the entire world, Sultan Jamshid even outlived the Al Said Dynasty in Mascate and Dhofar, from which his branch is stemming, that were deposed during his long reign.
Benefiting from its strategic location in the Indian Ocean, that interested Britain in the light of the independance of India and the Armed Peace with Japan, the Zanzibari Archipelago, even with its very mixed ethnic background, with a wealthy Arab class and a growing African class, along with a sizeable South Asian population, remained peaceful during the various troubles that experienced the African continent. Only a Pan-Africanist uprising attempt in January 1964 by one John Okello was easily quelled, and the “Rainbow Archipelago” acquired independence on 1972, as a constitutional monarchy and proud member of the Commonwealth, with political parties, mirroring ethnic lines, working more of less harmoniously with each other, under tutelage of the Sultan. The most dangerous threat to its existence, from 1982 to 1990, were Tanganyikan claims to the Zanzibar Archipelago, that ended with the Treaty of Bremen in 1990, when Tanganyika renounced its claims. The latter, to avoid further strife, suspended the Constitution from 1990 to 2005, when he imposed his eldest son and heir, Sayyid Ali, as Prime Minister, until the 2000 riots convinced the Sultan to uphold a new Constitution, that was adopted in 2010. His people and the political class held no grudges against the elder statesman however.

Zanzibar2013.png

The Sultan’s Golden Jubilee Parade in 2013 was marred by a string of Islamist terrorist attacks, that troubled tourism in Zanzibar for a while before being quelled with British and German help. Nowadays, Zanzibar remains the “Hong Kong of Africa”, one of the most peaceful and wealthiest places in the continent, experiencing a steady economic growth and a more remarkable push for further democracy, as all ethnic groups live in relative harmony.

Sir Farrokh Bulsara
FreddieMercury.png

Sir Farrokh Bulsara (5 September 1946-24 November 2003) was a Zanzibari-born Iranian British operatic tenor and composer who also crossed over into popular music, eventually becoming one the most commercially successful tenors of all time. Known as “The King” and “the Swing Star of Opera”, he made numerous recordings of complete operas and individual arias, composing the music and interpreting the critically and commercially successful opera “Bohemian Rhapsody”.
Born in Zanzibar to Parsi civil servants from India, Bulsara had practised singing and piano from his young age, eventually catching the interest of Sultan Jamshid of Zanzibar, who personally monitored and funded Bulsara’s conservatory classes in England and Italy. Growing worldwide famous in the 1980s thanks to the power of his voice and his charisma onstage, Bulsara’s greatest performances were noted in Madama Butterfly, Tosca, Aida, The Magic Flute ; his performance at the 1985 Bayreuth Festival, playing Siegfried in the Nibelungen, was among the most renowned in the history of the Wagnerian festival, a first for a non-European tenor. Like his colleagues and rivals Luciano Pavarotti and Placido Domingo, Bulsara also crossed over into popular music, reprising various songs. He sold over 200 million records, one of the records for classical music. Named a honorary Iranian citizen, ennobled by Queen Anne II in 2001, Bulsara died in 2003 of a pneumonia, having been deeply weakened by SARS prior during the year.
A lifelong bachelor, very discreet about his private life, Bulsara is rumoured of having been homosexual or bisexual, a fact he kept secret during his whole life, owing to the conservative attitudes in Zanzibar, Italy and England, only disclosing it with the posthumous publication of his memoirs.

Zanzibar Incident (1997)
MetalGear.png

The Zanzibar Incident, also known as the Zanzibar Standoff, was a diplomatic crisis that took place from December, 25 to December, 31 1997 in the Zanzibar City International Airport, involving a group of more than 50 Central European (Bohemian, Hungarian, Polish, Croatian, Serbian) mercenaries that had been recruited by the Afrikaner Boerstaat Armed Forces.
Known as the Foxhound Company (led by American former Navy SEAL Richard Marcinko, codenamed Big Boss), the mercenary group had escaped the Battle of Upington in a stolen transport plane, landing in Zanzibar, and requested political asylum from Germany and the Reichspakt, claiming they had seized sensible military intelligence from the former South African forces. The week-long standoff ended with a military assault by the German Sturmabteilung Company “Klapperschlage” in which much of the mercenaries were killed. The official version was that the assault was precipitated by Marcinko’s second-in-command, German-born Franz Jaeger. Marcinko was sentenced to 20 years in prison in Germany, before being extradited to the United States in 2008.
The documentary “Guns of the Patriots”, focusing on the events, premiered at the 2012 Venice Film Festival and received the Academy Award for Best Documentary the following year : according to the film, the Foxhound Company had seized South African nuclear and chemical weapons and intelligence about South Africa’s attempts at automated warfare, enhanced by Japan, all of which were seized by Germany ; it also claimed that the “Klapperschlage” Company was Germany’s first real conditions test for its then-secret military human cloning project. The German government ridiculed the claims.

With Rasputin out of the picture, the Tzar might get actual doctors to look at the boy. He is, after all, related to some of the most powerful families of the time, through his mother - link. And speaking of Alix aka Alexandra Feodorovna, she is 40-ish in 1914, so she might pop a late son too (a spare in case something happens to Alexei)

(And according to this link, by the 1920s or so people already knew it was an inherited disease)

Even if I do not suscribe to the conspiracy theories of Rasputin mind-controlling the Imperial Family, I would tend to think that Alix was in the throes of depression and religious mania and would feel totally broken by any risk to her son's health. As of Nicholas, he remains a feeble monarch...