For Want of a Message: Shay Rebellion

Here's the deal. I understand before the US constitution was created there was an uprising by lead by a Veteran named Daniel Shay. The cause was the hard ships of Western Massachustts farmers and the unwillingness for their elected government to save them from financial ruin. The situation grew worse with both the government and rebels stepping up their activities.

Shay had an army formed around a veteran core and similar uprsising were popping up throughout New England. Massachusttes with no federal aid had to raise a mercenary army. The rebellion failed after Shay failed to secure a weapons dump which would haver fully armed his troops and provided him with artillery. In the event of victory he claimed his intent was to march to Boston and burn it to the ground. keep in mind Massachusetts leader Samuel Adams had already called for the deaths of every rebel(despite being a former revolutionaire himself).

I've heard the lossoccured because Shay divided his army for a three pronged attack and his messenger sernding marching orders was captured by the state militia. This both knocked one third of the rebel army offf the atytack and alerted them to his tactics.

So what do you think would happen if that messenger delivered the orders, and Shay's full force advanced as planned without the militia knowing their plans?

Blackwood

Banned
Yes! I had made a topic about Shays Rebellion some time ago, and I'm glad to see it being looked at again. This is a great event to discuss (see my location, top right :D). That weapons stockpile in question (Springfield, MA) happens to be only about 10 miles from here, and one of his first victories (in Northampton, MA) is only about 3 miles away (me living in Easthampton now, ha!).

Anyway, if the attack had been more coordinated, I still believe it would be doubtful to succeed (unfortunately). However, if you could find a way for the attack to be successful, it opens up lots of interesting possibilities. I believe that, at the time, the stockpile in Springfield was the only one for many miles around, and (I think) the only one in the state besides at Boston. In addition, if the State militia had been weakened or driven off, it seems the rebels would be near-invincible for a time. This could have pretty drastic consequences for the country until a larger force could be assembled, and who knows what the rebels would've done?

EDIT - I just noticed this thread was resurrected.

The Massachusetts government changing hands would have sent a message to the other state governments that screwing over the middle class was a bad idea.
It was the middle class being oppressed by the artificial deflation taking place. The poor had no property to be repossessed when the mortgage suddenly got larger (as expressed in wheat terms).