For the Republic: A History of the Second American Civil War

I think the consequences of this action will reverberate for years....that long undefended border is probably gone, Canada is going to feel quite rightly concerned about the country to the South no matter who wins this civil war.
There will be repercussions, and there has to be some sort of payment or act of forgiveness this is an unprecedented act to pull on a friend...it shows your true colours and thoughts on this neighbour, it shows how little you value them.
I also think you are completely wrong with Canada will get over this quickly....how quickly do you think the USA would get over it the other way round, this will never go away, any slight disagreement between the two nations and it will be mentioned.
I can see Canada demanding the sacking of Patton......its him or the President who ordered it...one has to go for the sake of diplomacy, this is the 1930s, gentlemen are expected to behave in a certain way. Crossing the border was an act of war....if ordered by the President then the US could fall, all it takes is a Royal Navy blockade....if not Patton is a rogue general and must go
Yes this could poison US relations with the UK permanently. The UK will never trust the US again, ever. On an aside the Entente were not close to collapse before the US intervention, in WW! (on most assessments anyway) that self serving justification will have also gone down like a dose of sick.

I think the consequences of this action will reverberate for years....that long undefended border is probably gone, Canada is going to feel quite rightly concerned about the country to the South no matter who wins this civil war.
There will be repercussions, and there has to be some sort of payment or act of forgiveness this is an unprecedented act to pull on a friend...it shows your true colours and thoughts on this neighbour, it shows how little you value them.
I also think you are completely wrong with Canada will get over this quickly....how quickly do you think the USA would get over it the other way round, this will never go away, any slight disagreement between the two nations and it will be mentioned.
I can see Canada demanding the sacking of Patton......its him or the President who ordered it...one has to go for the sake of diplomacy, this is the 1930s, gentlemen are expected to behave in a certain way. Crossing the border was an act of war....if ordered by the President then the US could fall, all it takes is a Royal Navy blockade....if not Patton is a rogue general and must go
This is true in most instances, and perhaps a fault of ours for not touching back with the wider British Empire since Dieu et Mon Droit, but the situation with Canada is painfully complicated. Aside from the Americans themselves, no one has been more affected by the civil war than the Canadians. They are dealing with refugees, their economy is suffering enormously due to the loss of their largest trading partner, and they are pants-pissingly terrified of the Natcorps for a simple chain of logic that most everyone but the most hardcore Canadian nationalists agrees upon:

1–Canada has been the most materially significant supporter of the Republic in the war.
2–At present, the Republic is losing the war.
3–War between Britain and Germany is an inevitability.
4–If the Republic, which is currently losing, falls to the Natcorps, they will join that war on the side of Germany, putting Natcorp America at war with Canada.
5–Canada has almost no chance in a war against even a wounded America.

Relations between Canada and Britain are also at the lowest they’ve been since the Upper Canada Rebellion due to the British dilly-dallying in supporting the Republic and keeping a strict “materiel only” approach to that support. The Canadian population, overwhelmingly sympathetic to the Republican cause, views the war just as existentially as most Americans do, because a Natcorp victory means a real invasion, and they feel severely neglected by the British Crown and stuck as a junior partner in handling the international crisis which is at their doorstep, not Britain’s.

That is not to say that this isn’t going to piss off a ton of people, because the response from the Canadian public will be something to behold. However, there is at least an element of understanding there, and a pervasive belief amongst both the American and Canadian people that this was avoidable provided the British had been willing to step up and support the Republicans with volunteer legions the same way the Germans and Italians have with MacArthur. The intervention debate has been raging in Ottawa for quite some time, and responses to this will vary wildly.

Last edited:
Me gets the feeling that Detroit citizenry are going to play a very big part in the liberation of the city, with UAW, minority communities, and others most likely playing a large part. Hell, what even is the state of the Auto Industry at this point. GM and Ford most likely are supportive of the NatCorps but I'd think at least Chrysler wouldn't necessarily be in that boat. They didn't necessarily have any subsidiaries which collaborated with the nazis during the war and weren't as vehemently against unions as GM and Ford.

The Fourth Army crossed into Canada that day, and by Christmas morning, George Patton had captured the city of Detroit and enshrined his place in the pantheon of America’s greatest military leaders.
Did George Patton just become second coming of Hannibal Barca?!

Also, I can only imagine the diplomatic meltdown going one within the Smith and 3rd Mackenzie King Administrations.

This is true in most instances, and perhaps a fault of ours for not touching back with the wider British Empire since Dieu et Mon Droit, but the situation with Canada is painfully complicated. Asi
That is not to say that this isn’t going to piss off a ton of people, because the response from the Canadian public will be something to behold. However, there is at least an element of understanding there, and a pervasive belief amongst both the American and Canadian people that this was avoidable provided the British had been willing to step up and support the Republicans with volunteer legions the same way the Germans and Italians have with MacArthur. The intervention debate has been raging in Ottawa for quite some time, and responses to this will vary wildly.
Not sure if this is the intended reading or not, but I have a feeling Canada is going to be pissed with the Republic, but in the sense of "you couldn't get permission from us?". Also have a feeling Canada is going to be equally pissed with the Brits over this as well. Makes me think that Canada's going to become a Republic soon after WWII ends.

Did George Patton just become second coming of Hannibal Barca?!

Also, I can only imagine the diplomatic meltdown going one within the Smith and 3rd Mackenzie King Administrations.
He hit the Natcorps from behind. The thing is, the Natcorps needed to beat the counteroffensive by bogging it down somewhere in Pennsylvania or Ohio. If the Republic can't retake the offense, its long term odds of stitching the nation back together are pretty bad, even if the Natcorps are obviously going to have a lot of trouble in the long term, too. The problem is MacArthur didn't prepare for an attack in Michigan, where Patton is. If Patton wins there, the Natcorps are in big trouble. The Republican can link up with the Midwest, and suddenly Albany seems a lot less like a regional rump power. This makes the Natcorps' position in the Midwest very tenuous, and forces them to open up a second front deep in the industrial heartland that gives them the advantage they have right now. Patton took Detroit, and now MacArthur has to scramble to stop him from flooding into the Great Lakes and liberating Chicago.

If it works, yes, the diplomatic meltdown will mess things up for generations, but if it doesn't snowball into a shooting war with Canada the Republic just got that much closer to winning the war.

Me gets the feeling that Detroit citizenry are going to play a very big part in the liberation of the city, with UAW, minority communities, and others most likely playing a large part. Hell, what even is the state of the Auto Industry at this point. GM and Ford most likely are supportive of the NatCorps but I'd think at least Chrysler wouldn't necessarily be in that boat. They didn't necessarily have any subsidiaries which collaborated with the nazis during the war and weren't as vehemently against unions as GM and Ford.
Next update will feature a lot of this, I've gotten pretty excited planning it out!

Not sure if this is the intended reading or not, but I have a feeling Canada is going to be pissed with the Republic, but in the sense of "you couldn't get permission from us?". Also have a feeling Canada is going to be equally pissed with the Brits over this as well. Makes me think that Canada's going to become a Republic soon after WWII ends.
The Natcorps' behavior is pretty vile, and letting them exist is a huge liability in its own right to Canada. Like the previous update mentioned, there's a humanitarian crisis the Dominion is dealing with thanks to the War in the Midwest. Britain is helping the Republicans against MacArthur, but it's not doing everything it could. If Britain went to war with the Natcorps, they would be doomed. Of course, it would also be a huge expensive investment in another continent when Europe is in enough trouble as it stands. There are certainly a lot of Canadians that see the Republic's point of view. So yeah, there's a noticeable wedge between Canada and Britain right now that we'll explore in the near future.

Victory justifies quite a lot. A decade from now it'll be a point of pride among Canadians that they allowed the Americans passage in their darkest hour and saved the world's oldest democracy. Biographies of Canadian leaders will claim (entirely falsely) that they had decided that it was better to compromise their neutrality than face the Natcorps alone.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with your logic .....how about this....uk was at war with Germany in 1940, but there where no American legions in support, no aid that wasn't paid for in dollars...even sterling was unacceptable, .....see the similarity, yet you think the US point of view is justified !

Canada is a Soverign nation and Patton has not just violated the border but threatened to make it run red in Canadian blood....its a step too far for the 1930s,
I think you are underestimating the effect this will have.

You not mentioned how supplies are getting to Patton, are American troops regularly violating Canadas border, because that's just asking for few hotheads to clash on either side and you open up a can of worms the republic cannot afford.

Is the republic ready for the huge proporganda victory they have handed the Natcorps...they have violated Canada, a neutral....they the bad guys here.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with your logic .....how about this....uk was at war with Germany in 1940, but there where no American legions in support, no aid that wasn't paid for in dollars...even sterling was unacceptable, .....see the similarity, yet you think the US point of view is justified !

Canada is a Soverign nation and Patton has not just violated the border but threatened to make it run red in Canadian blood....its a step too far for the 1930s,
I think you are underestimating the effect this will have.

You not mentioned how supplies are getting to Patton, are American troops regularly violating Canadas border, because that's just asking for few hotheads to clash on either side and you open up a can of worms the republic cannot afford.

Is the republic ready for the huge proporganda victory they have handed the Natcorps...they have violated Canada, a neutral....they the bad guys here.
You assume that anybody openly admits that Canada’s border was violated. While the reaction behind closed doors is something fierce, I could easily see the Canadian government claiming after the fact that they gave permission in order to help ‘move the fighting away from our borders’, both to save face and to prevent any hot-headed stuff going on. As to Patton…well, that can be explained away as ‘loose talk from a legendarily impatient man’.

It seems pretty obvious that while the Brits and Canadians are privately furious, in public they’re looking the other way in return for that ‘unspecified favour at a future date’. Which neutralises much of the value of a propaganda victory…and of course, any propaganda will be offset by the major battlefield victory the Republic just scored.

any propaganda will be offset by the major battlefield victory the Republic just scored.
Yes! This.
Unless It starts into a shooting war and stoppage of aid to Republic, The major Battlefield victory will offset the Propaganda victory.
With Canada its double edged sword..
From a purely Realpolitik perspective, Natcorps are better cuz they didnt invade Canada. However Germans are actively fighting in USA and it is of concern to Canada if Natcorps win maybe Germans create bases in USA and launch an Invasion during WW2!
One hand we have a betraying friend or non betraying enemy who is enemy cuz they may betray you.

Last edited:
I have a suspicion that if it were Mexico instead of crossing Canada, most of the criticism would focus on how EVERYONE would tell Mexico to eat shit and die and "stop whining and playing the victim" because "it was only a short step, not an invasion". In addition to complaining about why Mexico isn't intervening in support of the Republic and against Jackboot. Or saying that in reality the Republic should not have forced the issue because Mexico SHOULD have given them free passage voluntarily. With more or less hints about how, in reality, Mexico sympathizes with Jackboot or waits for them to win so they can try to reverse Guadalupe-Hidalgo...

However Germans are actively fighting in USA and it is of concern to Canada if Natcorps win maybe Germans create bases in USA and launch an Invasion during WW2!

What world war2 is this ?
How do you know its happening, is it same as ours? Dates, times , places etc....how is the crystal ball passing on this future info ?

Just caught up, I admit I don't think Canada will just let this slide though I suppose victory justifies a lot. If Patton got booged down for months in Detroit with his supply line in Canada I think we would have seen extensive pressure to fight back against this violation of sovereignty instead it only lasted a couple of days.

One unintentional result of this though I think the USSR justification for expanding into the Baltics and Finland just got a lot easier to do, if France, Canada, Britain, Canada are willing to overlook this move as justified against fascism then making a similar case against ''minor'' nations should be easy.

By the way I wonder how this conflict is seen internally in Mexico, as I doubt they have much love for the Natcorp or the disruption of their largest trade partner on the other hand this is confirmation the one party state to prevent civil war works for them.