For the Republic: A History of the Second American Civil War

Here's what should happen to Hoover and Johnson, which was inspired by Himmler's fate in the Fox on The Rhine series (don't read if you haven't read the Fox On The Rhine series): leave them both in cells overnight--with some of the surviving victims of their policies, who know that they are responsible for it...

Interesting TL, and it definitely holds its own against the other ACW in the 1930s TL, The Falcon Cannot Hear (have you read that one, @The Angry Observer? Good TL)...

So from what I see the "Neutral West" is far from neutral and rather tensions are boiling under the surface.

I guess it's unlikely there will be any uprising, given that it was hinted that in TTL's future the West is still synonymous with cowards and borderline traitors.

Based on the opening quote, Mac's gonna try invading to get more resources once the front starts to stalemate. I also predict Longs southern government isn't long for the world. There's a large KKK presence that undoubtedly supports the Natcorps.

Is it weird that I'm glad to take a break from hearing war described in my home state and happy to see it described in other states? I feel like it makes me a bad person, but I appreciate the break all the same.

In general, the West seems like it's neutral now but is burning at both ends. The Second American Civil War will be coming West eventually, and the problem for everyone is that it's not going to be as neatly divided as the lands east of the Mississippi given all the different interest groups and layers of government that are picking different sides. Oregon's OTL white nationalst sins are coming home to roost early and I imagine it will suffer immensely in the eventual turn against the Natcorps, possibly killing the idea of the Left Coast as a united concept in its cradle. California is already divided between Upton Sinclair (God bless that man) and his own legislature, and I can only imagine that once the war spreads west, California is in for some internal conflict of some kind. Plus, as has been mentioned, we've already got Water Conflict on the table and that won't be helping anyone as states make cynical moves if needed.

As others have said, the open Natcorp sympathies of the KKK are going to be a problem across the entire country. Indiana's KKK in this time period is still not entirely out of power in the Midwest of course (God, I just realized that if Notre Dame survives as a university, their founding myth of the Fighting Irish just got way more severe...), but in the South old Huey Long's going to have to put some steel behind his OTL jokes about Klansmen and crush the upcoming Dixiecrat rebellion that is almost certainly going to be enabled by JE Hoover and the DOJ in their attempt to get the resources of the South, especially the oil.

Overall, the feeling I'm getting is that the Northeast, despite being the initial set of hostilities, at least had the advantage of clear battle lines to start things out for all factions. It feels like the formerly neutral West and South are about to enter into their own deeply local divisive conflicts with much less clear geographical divisions and the horrors of guerilla warfare in pretty much every quarter are going to come home to roost in the latter stages of the war.

Longs coalition is unstable and is only held together by his force of personality, what happens if Long gets assassinated?
Probably? A civil war within the civil war. As you said, he's the only thing keeping that structure together, once he's gone the various interest groups will turn against each other.

Good update. I can only hope the support those Klan bastards and other White supremacists give to Mac will forever discredit those groups and lead to a renewed effort at equality and reparations. If the Republic ever manages to beat back Mac's thugs and invade the South to rescue it from Long's clutches, they will have to learn, as Lincoln once did, that Black people are their most vigorous and loyal potential allies in that region.

Here's what should happen to Hoover and Johnson, which was inspired by Himmler's fate in the Fox on The Rhine series (don't read if you haven't read the Fox On The Rhine series): leave them both in cells overnight--with some of the surviving victims of their policies, who know that they are responsible for it...
We've already planned exactly what ends up happening to those two ;)
Interesting TL, and it definitely holds its own against the other ACW in the 1930s TL, The Falcon Cannot Hear (have you read that one, @The Angry Observer? Good TL)...
Thanks so much! Hadn't heard of the one you mentioned, but I'm looking at it now-- looks great, thanks for the recommendation.

In general, the West seems like it's neutral now but is burning at both ends. The Second American Civil War will be coming West eventually, and the problem for everyone is that it's not going to be as neatly divided as the lands east of the Mississippi given all the different interest groups and layers of government that are picking different sides. Oregon's OTL white nationalst sins are coming home to roost early and I imagine it will suffer immensely in the eventual turn against the Natcorps, possibly killing the idea of the Left Coast as a united concept in its cradle. California is already divided between Upton Sinclair (God bless that man) and his own legislature, and I can only imagine that once the war spreads west, California is in for some internal conflict of some kind. Plus, as has been mentioned, we've already got Water Conflict on the table and that won't be helping anyone as states make cynical moves if needed.
It is a truly national war. No stone is left unturned, anywhere, and there's only so much time neutrality can buy.
As others have said, the open Natcorp sympathies of the KKK are going to be a problem across the entire country. Indiana's KKK in this time period is still not entirely out of power in the Midwest of course (God, I just realized that if Notre Dame survives as a university, their founding myth of the Fighting Irish just got way more severe...), but in the South old Huey Long's going to have to put some steel behind his OTL jokes about Klansmen and crush the upcoming Dixiecrat rebellion that is almost certainly going to be enabled by JE Hoover and the DOJ in their attempt to get the resources of the South, especially the oil.
Infighting will certainly be an issue for-- well, everyone, and that includes the south!

Good update. I can only hope the support those Klan bastards and other White supremacists give to Mac will forever discredit those groups and lead to a renewed effort at equality and reparations. If the Republic ever manages to beat back Mac's thugs and invade the South to rescue it from Long's clutches, they will have to learn, as Lincoln once did, that Black people are their most vigorous and loyal potential allies in that region.
Ironically enough, by leaving the Catholic President to die, many of America's bigots ensured the existence of a state that is very advanced on American social issues. It couldn't have happened without MacArthur starting the war.

Ironically enough, by leaving the Catholic President to die, many of America's bigots ensured the existence of a state that is very advanced on American social issues. It couldn't have happened without MacArthur starting the war.
On that note, the dynamic between the fundametally conservative character and attitude of Al Smith and his inner circle (I'm looking at you, Garner and Kennedy) and the more "revolutionary" (or at least radical) attitude of the rank-and-file Republicans would be something that future updates should expand on, especially with disputes over the post-war order and all that.

On that note, the dynamic between the fundametally conservative character and attitude of Al Smith and his inner circle (I'm looking at you, Garner and Kennedy) and the more "revolutionary" (or at least radical) attitude of the rank-and-file Republicans would be something that future updates should expand on, especially with disputes over the post-war order and all that.
This is definitely in the works!

The highly localized nature of western politics makes it difficult to pin any activity on a single leader or governing structure. There was, however, one man that came to dominate the scene through virtue of simply being the last one standing. That was Admiral Joseph Reeves. Reeves’s motives remain somewhat inscrutable, but he took a large fraction of the Pacific fleet and never left Pearl Harbor with it. As the months ground on, with federal authority never truly returning west of the Mississippi, Reeves became the Pacific’s kingmaker. “Joseph M. Reeves would never again hold a military rank,” wrote Brinkley, “but nearly all interstate decisions in the west passed under his eyes somehow or another. Most famous, of course, was when Reeves and his fleet quietly convinced California’s government to accept a compromise with Arizona over rights to the Colorado River. He took it upon himself to continue bolstering the U.S.N. and, like Ted Roosevelt, saw the value of warding off threats from the Empire of Japan.” And indeed, the Pacific Fleet under Reeves successfully stood down the Imperial Japanese Navy at Guam. Ironically enough, the nightmare scenario all sides feared— the Japanese spilling out of their empire in the northwest Pacific and conquering America’s holdings thanks to the war— was stymied by the war itself. Japan could have become a major military threat that rapidly would be positioned as the dominant power in the Pacific, but its empire was a house of cards entirely dependent on imported steel and oil. And when the war in America broke out, it sent those markets into a death spiral. The actual damage from the war was extensive, of course, but the killing blow came from Huey Long’s nationalization of the southern crude markets. The economic tailspin that followed saw Japanese buyers and southern producers utterly destroyed. It also saw Long’s grip over the south rapidly become impossible to dislodge.
Well that does explain why the Japanese imperial Navy didn't immediately inavde liberate the Philippines, upon news of the SACW. Although they now have to deal with the incoming Chinese with finite resources. Unless the British reach out to them with a deal to restart the Anglo-Japanese alliance or something like that.
The Republicans and Natcorps both invested heavily in intelligence apparatuses that could project power outside of their immediate borders. These were the Secret Service and Department of Justice, and both rapidly took on responsibilities neither was prepared for. The result was a very messy “private war” between competing intelligence agencies, which often meant shooting in the dark in hostile territory. Bombings were orchestrated by both sides, and both backed violent militias in disputed zones to bolster their side’s prospects. Accountability was low. Leadership often had no idea what it was supposed to do. In the DOJ’s case in particular, J. Edgar Hoover’s infamous secrecy made him the only person that truly understood its inner workings, perhaps as an intentional mechanism to keep himself in power. And it succeeded. While many of Hoover’s reports on secret weapons and hidden Russian armies being developed in the Republic were accurate, every enemy arrested and every new scheme to kill western Republicans chartered increased MacArthur’s confidence in, and arguably his deference to, Hoover. And Hoover’s intricate network of Natcorp minions and DOJ agents in the west and Pacific was successful in cowing the Natcorp regime’s enemies, at least temporarily. It also sparked a massive arms race and mass produced the concept of the police state as we currently understand it. But perhaps most revolutionary, the Second American Civil War’s intelligence competition accelerated the development of a new, destructive form of warfare that would ultimately change human life forever.
It's a wild west all over again in the Great Plains region of the US. Although how long before Hoover and MacArthur decide to bring out the Biological weapons to use against the Republican forces. How would the foreign powers of Europe react to this development and would it inspire more overt intervention by the Entente government on behalf of the Republican forces.

On another note, how much of the US population will have been killed the SACW by the end of it?

Besides that, how about the number of people who will leave the US throughout the Second Civil War?
Where? This isn't Syria, this is a country that covers half a continent. Canada would be overwhelmed, and Mexico is too far away for most. Most likely refugees are fleeing across the Upper Plains to the West Coast, else somewhere else where there's less fighting. Surprisingly few refugees, many many many IDPs.

Where? This isn't Syria, this is a country that covers half a continent. Canada would be overwhelmed, and Mexico is too far away for most. Most likely refugees are fleeing across the Upper Plains to the West Coast, else somewhere else where there's less fighting. Surprisingly few refugees, many many many IDPs.
Don't forget about sea and air travel, as places like Great Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand are just as viable

A very good timeline so far with plenty of disasters and many more to come. With California being neutral, what impact is this having on Hollywood? Right in the Golden Age and the movies and people involved are going to see some major changes. Marx Brothers alone would be fascinating.