For All Time AMA

Hey all.

Having just sent my first actual book proposal off to an actual publisher, I started thinking more about the first thing I wrote that anyone ever wanted to read.

If you have questions about the TL where Henry Wallace did a bad thing on the 20th century, now's the time to ask them!

-the original author of For All Time

I would've loved the 80's and 90's not being skipped, being told in a more detailed way.
I have three questions:
1. How advanced it's the space industry? Something must be up in orbit, if only so telecoms are possible.
2. How's Spain (and Catalonia to be more specifical)? What happened to them?
3. What happened to Korea after being nuked?

1. It's been a while since I read it, but in my head you had a bigger push (because space was more militarized, because it like everything else became more terrible) but gradually there was a winding down when (as in OTL) people realized it just wasn't cost-effective. So space is full of broken dreams and space junk that used to be the promise of the future.
2. Don't remember! Nothing great. They may have come through OK just from being ignored.
3. Giant crater that nobody bothered to rebuild. It's awful!

RousseauX

Donor
Hey all.

Having just sent my first actual book proposal off to an actual publisher, I started thinking more about the first thing I wrote that anyone ever wanted to read.

If you have questions about the TL where Henry Wallace did a bad thing on the 20th century, now's the time to ask them!

-the original author of For All Time
What did the electoral college map look like in 1980?

re:1980 Oh geez, that's been a while! IIRC you didn't have the big seminal event of the political history of the late 20th century happen (the white Southern Democratic defection post-Civil Rights Act) in the ATL, so instead you get an election that's a big mess. I'd make it a tainted map, with evidence of massive corruption that is impossible to piece back together post-Haig. (It's known that records were destroyed "for the good of the nation" but not records of what) - probably Manson picked up the West and much of the South, while Jones had the North and the East.

I have not! I think given the choice I would make a FAT continuation that tried to be optimistic out of the ashes rather than just a grimdark early 21st century - as people have commented elsewhere, we already have that!

In _fact_, there's your hook for a continuation - if our 21st century is getting worse, their 21st century might be one that's getting better - though they'll be helpless vs. things like climate change. All the nukes going off put dust into the atmosphere, but not _that_ much...

I think I would play down Al Haig as the world's nicest junta leader - that might have been how he'd start but that's not typically how it goes.

1. It's been a while since I read it, but in my head you had a bigger push (because space was more militarized, because it like everything else became more terrible) but gradually there was a winding down when (as in OTL) people realized it just wasn't cost-effective. So space is full of broken dreams and space junk that used to be the promise of the future.

That seems very FAT-ey to think that everyone is literally trapped on a crapsack world by so much space junk that they can’t escape our orbit. There’s probably even more junk than you’d think because computers never took off, so a. You have to keep shooting stuff up there as delicate things break and b. oh have to keep people up there to fix it.

One of the things I really liked about the earlier segments was the little glimpses of pop culture and everyday life. Things like cars sucking and plastic and computers never taking off. I’d love to learn more about how people were living in the 70s and 80s (and 90s etc.) as things got worse, but society kept chugging along in the West.

John Farson

Banned
Why was so little attention paid to Japan in For All Time after WWII? As far as I can remember, the only thing that was mentioned was that it was divided between north and south, and that south Japan was a lot poorer than OTL Japan and plagued with periodic famines.

So what happened to Switzerland in FAT? And what's the Democratic Party like as of the epilogue? I'm guessing there are still a few diehard Haig/Gorton supporters.

I have so many questions, oh my. But I can start with these!

1) What are/were both Barack Obama and Donald Trump up to in FAT?
2) How is the state of anime and manga in the timeline?
3) What is the final composition of France and/or the various French states? (i.e., what countries there are in the French region). Is Equatorial Pork still sold here and there throughout the world?
4) Are the broader Russian/Chinese/Islamic worlds at least... recovering, if not necessarily reconsolidating?
5) How is the internet in general? (Although I presume it may never have gotten off the ground TL...) If it's around, did both Something Awful and 4chan each ever get founded?

Congrats on your book deal, by the way! Can you tell us anything about it? I very much enjoyed your work in FAT and wouldn't mind reading more from you!

Kergulen Island - maybe people actually live there full-time in the ATL, since it's one of the safest areas under French rule! It's the sort of TL where homesteading seems attractive because people have been so terrible to each other for the last century or so.

Dunno about the last chapters!

Lithuania: Oh gosh it's bad; Chikatilo[1] purged the nationalists and then the civil war happened. Whatever the current government is, it's bad - and reconstituting a cadre is going to take a long time. They may get a lot of Lithuanian-Americans taking their chances on moving back home.

The book is a scholarly biography of the Wright Brothers that I haven't actually sold yet - but if it does, it should hit bookstores in about two years or so! Thanks for the good sentiments.

5. I could see something like the Minitel system existing in the alt-US - perhaps everyone's just comfortably on Usenet by the 2000s.
4. There is recovery by now, yes, though it may not be a recovery that embraces modernity - after all, it seems to have proven itself false!
3. France[2] is recovering, albeit slowly. And you'd better believe there are diehard Bokassaites out there! He made this nation great.
2. IIRC Japan had a complicated history in the ATL but suffered no real tragedies beyond political division.
1. In the alt-2018, Obama is the Mayor of Chicago, Donald Trump the Mayor of New York City.

Switzerland[1] IIRC I did little of interest with them - if I'd known as much history then as I do now, I'd have had the Nazi invasion go ahead, and then the new, radicalized Swiss government go ahead with their abortive nuclear program in the 1950s...

A typical political race of FaT America as of 2016 would be between Bernie Sanders and Ben Carson.

[1] If I knew then what I know now about human nature, I'd have had his downfall go differently - we know now that bureaucrats can generally live with it if their leaders are caught committing unprecedented crimes.
[2] Another thing I'd have done differently - realistically more people would know about Equatorial Pork, but making people eat it for various reasons would be a _thing_ of the Bokassa regime. Yeah you know what's in it but eating it is part of your good government job. So you'll do it, right?