For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Probably whoever beats Ellen is in their second term.

Cause even with
the rally round the flag effect from the NASA bombing, she's gonna lose for the whole daring to not be a straight person in the 90's thing
Or

Her VP runs against her or she drops out of the race.

Or

Her VP runs against her or she drops out of the race.
Also a fair point

I was more assuming she might somehow have gotten to limp on to '96 election season from the bombing and such, but with little to no backing from the GOP who just write off '96 and prepare to fight like hell in 2000

Ah the fun of speculating a fictional worlds politics

Also a fair point

I was more assuming she might somehow have gotten to limp on to '96 election season from the bombing and such, but with little to no backing from the GOP who just write off '96 and prepare to fight like hell in 2000

Ah the fun of speculating a fictional worlds politics
Though I still wonder if the Japan of this world with space boom never has the lost decades.

Though I still wonder if the Japan of this world with space boom never has the lost decades.
I'd say it's more likely that Japan still has a downturn, it has to, but it is a much lesser one than OTL. Think a mild recession as opposed to what it went through OTL. I could see a still financially vibrant and active Japan + the EU forming a third place position behind the big two in the next season, especially if Japanese economic success bites into China's own economic growth.

Dropping the spoiler tag as this isn't show related and more just in-universe speculation.

Love Daniel Stern!

Given Iacocca's political cross-cutting, I'm going to put this down as possible soft evidence that Ellen makes a comeback with a third party.

I'd say it's more likely that Japan still has a downturn, it has to, but it is a much lesser one than OTL. Think a mild recession as opposed to what it went through OTL. I could see a still financially vibrant and active Japan + the EU forming a third place position behind the big two in the next season, especially if Japanese economic success bites into China's own economic growth.

Dropping the spoiler tag as this isn't show related and more just in-universe speculation.
True .

It would be interesting to see Soviet fragmentation starting. Like the Baltics and Ukraine being unhappy with Moscow.

America gets the internet.

Commercial space travel is still a thing. Who knows a whole chain of space hotels could be in orbit. Meanwhile, airlines operate spaceplanes.

Anime likely starts getting big in America and outside of Japan post 1995.

9/11 avoided, no troops in Middle East, but Middle Eastern terror could still be around.

IRA still active, as is their enemy the UDF (Ulster Defense Force) and the RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary) is still around.

How much worse would Y2K freakout be in universe.

Catholic Church sex scandal still happens.

We See Ed as an even crankier old Astronaut but by 2000 has been retired.

True .

It would be interesting to see Soviet fragmentation starting. Like the Baltics and Ukraine being unhappy with Moscow.

Commercial space travel is still a thing. Who knows a whole chain of space hotels could be in orbit. Meanwhile, airlines operate spaceplanes.

9/11 avoided, no troops in Middle East, but Middle Eastern terror could still be around.

IRA still active, as is their enemy the UDF (Ulster Defense Force) and the RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary) is still around.

Rise of Youtube Facebook Myspace and Twitter in that timeline.

I don't know if ttl ussr will collapse in the same way, it is quite likely that the baltic countries and ukraine will be part of the russian empire.
Islamic terrorism will be much smaller. With more wars between dictators and radicals taking place in the Middle East. Another thing not mentioned on the show is whether Turkey or Iran will control the Middle East. Without the Saudi Arabian competing for power (Saudi Arabia will be very poor in this timeline).

Main problem with the USSR, how long with reformsmwill it before before people go “I want more freedoms.”

Homosexuality in Russia at least will likely remain illegal.

Also who succeeds Gorby?
Islamic terrorism will be much smaller. With more wars between dictators and radicals taking place in the Middle East. Another thing not mentioned on the show is whether Turkey or Iran will control the Middle East. Without the Saudi Arabian competing for power (Saudi Arabia will be very poor in this timeline).
Dubai will not be like it is in our world.

I have a feeling that will be a solid plot point, if not the overall "B" plot for the next season as we now have a major character in the Soviet Union who can be our eyes from the inside, and we've yet to see evidence that the major underlying issues of the Soviet Union have been tackled, only wallpapering over the cracks shall we say.
I think the internet is going to be a major plot point as well. With how tech is in FAMverse, I'd say it's likely you have a net infrastructure more in line with the early 2010's, but that the culture isn't quite there yet.

Don't know if you were online in 2002, but it was a totally different beast to the internet nowadays, and that's only my brief memories of it at the time (Irish dial up at the time meant I didn't get to spend much time)
Probably, although I'd argue that you are more likely for projects like Concord and other supersonic long-haul planes being focused on than straight spaceplanes yet.
Oh Anime is going to take off like a rocket (no pun intended)
That's going to be a big question mark hanging over the next season for sure.
I'm somewhat hoping that particular chapter of humanity will be closing as we come into 2002. I 100% admit that is personal bias though.
Hopefully about the same. I'll remind people who weren't there at the time that while it is funny to joke about Y2K now, a lot of work went into making sure it didn't become the earth ending crisis people thought it might be.

Without that work, it's liable that some stuff would have actually gone wrong.
Good. Fuck em.
I hope we get an "Ed punching out a Moon Landing Denier" scene. Even if we don't see it and it's only alluded to.
I don't know if ttl ussr will collapse in the same way, it is quite likely that the baltic countries and ukraine will be part of the russian empire.
If the USSR collapses, the Baltics will be the first out the door. Control there was always less solid than the rest of the CCCP.

Maybe Ukraine could be kept, but that's going to take some butterflies.
This is a very good point, and brings me back to the Middle-East having a big ? over its head for the next season.

There were already Islamic terrorism in OTL 1970s-80s such the USMC barracks bombing and the first Arab plane hijacking in 1986. If anything happens, Islamic terrorism is going to be localized or regional. Or we could have a 9/11-like event but the target is the USSR instead.
i'll imagine Anime exists on this timeline yeah before Anime Sites Netflix on that timeline
Anime became famous to the West around 70s-80s. I don't see a POD in 1969 changing that.

Speaking of technology, are smartphones and WiFi invented earlier in TTL?

There were already Islamic terrorism in OTL 1970s-80s such the USMC barracks bombing and the first Arab plane hijacking in 1986. If anything happens, Islamic terrorism is going to be localized or regional. Or we could have a 9/11-like event but the target is the USSR instead.
Oh I know, but considering it's 2002 and a fairly important event for the modern world was butterflied out, people are going to naturally be curious.
Speaking of technology, are smartphones and WiFi invented earlier in TTL?
Probably and definitely.

Smart Phones will probably be the Blackberry variety for the next season, but Wifi is definitely coming. It'll just be early wifi, so somewhat temperamental

This is a very good point, and brings me back to the Middle-East having a big ? over its head for the next season.
yes it will be interesting to see if the middle east is more stable or less (with more proxy wars between turkey and iran. I mentioned before, I want to see more of the world in this new season. More of the world, I'm starting to get bored of it see only the usa. We don't even see the ussr properly.

yes it will be interesting to see if the middle east is more stable or less (with more proxy wars between turkey and iran. I mentioned before, I want to see more of the world in this new season. More of the world, I'm starting to get bored of it see only the usa. We don't even see the ussr properly.
I'm wondering if Saddam is still in charge of Iraq TTL, or if he got butterflied out at some stage.

I'm wondering if Saddam is still in charge of Iraq TTL, or if he got butterflied out at some stage.
If Saddam survived Desert Storm in our timeline, he would be positively idolised if he just walked in to Kuwait and nobody from the West did anything (which, at least according to the FAM team was a purely oil motivated intervention that was thankfully averted, at least that's the tone they chose, of course we have to pander to a certain type of viewer)

Maybe he is brought down by Fusion and Electric Cars which lead finally to a crash in oil prices and the "all in one basket" economies of the Middle East follow suit. This should also have affected the Soviet Union as well since it was largely kept running by fossil fuel exports at that time but we needed an enemy for the Season, I suppose.

In general, Season 3 ran very wild with its alt history, but at least this is the lesser example of all the ASB they got this time around.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that will be a solid plot point, if not the overall "B" plot for the next season as we now have a major character in the Soviet Union who can be our eyes from the inside, and we've yet to see evidence that the major underlying issues of the Soviet Union have been tackled, only wallpapering over the cracks shall we say.
Yup yup yup.
I think the internet is going to be a major plot point as well. With how tech is in FAMverse, I'd say it's likely you have a net infrastructure more in line with the early 2010's, but that the culture isn't quite there yet.

Don't know if you were online in 2002, but it was a totally different beast to the internet nowadays, and that's only my brief memories of it at the time (Irish dial up at the time meant I didn't get to spend much time)
Agreed
Probably, although I'd argue that you are more likely for projects like Concord and other supersonic long-haul planes being focused on than straight spaceplanes yet.
And also planes powered by some sort of energy cell system or planes being one of the few needs for fossil fuels.
Oh Anime is going to take off like a rocket (no pun intended)
Yeah, Pokémon, Digimon, Yugi-Oh hooks the kids and stuff Like Tenchi Mayo, Gundam (Which I expect to be more popular somehow), DBZ, and others get the teen,
Well Bin Laden May not be leading a terrorist group, no Afghanistan after all. If he is, no idea what it is .
I'm somewhat hoping that particular chapter of humanity will be closing as we come into 2002. I 100% admit that is personal bias though.
Maybe but it is gonna be hard, there is a dead PM after all and you know MI5 was given the okay to do what needed to be done.

And MI5 they would do it gladly.
Hopefully about the same. I'll remind people who weren't there at the time that while it is funny to joke about Y2K now, a lot of work went into making sure it didn't become the earth ending crisis people thought it might be.

Without that work, it's liable that some stuff would have actually gone wrong.
And militias? They were planning for the end of days.

I think they’ll avoid much issue.
Good. Fuck em.
Well it will likely be referenced and JPII’s successor could be a worse pope.

“The Vatican stated they flatly refuses to cooperate on helping locate father Vincent Gregory, whom has an astonishing 23 accusations of Sexual assault levied against him so far.”
I hope we get an "Ed punching out a Moon Landing Denier" scene. Even if we don't see it and it's only alluded to.
More likely, “You Dani Poole and Gordo Stevens are all liars and the Stevens died for that lie!” *Punch* Moon landing denier on ground ko’ed.

Other ideas
  • The next pope is shown to be Italian Cardinal Bertone, a Central figure in the sex scandal denials and hiding them also corruption of the Vatican bank.
  • The future of earth conflicts, rare earths.
  • Next Generation Military Shuttle is operating.
  • A major earth disaster still happens, 2004 Tsunami.
  • We see the US president in 2003 is either Gephardt or Stagg.
  • Ed is retired, doing the lecture circuit, perhaps CEO of Helios after (fictional outside company) tried to buy it out (think Disney and Comcast in the early 2000s),
  • Disney, no idea Eisner could still be running it. Maybe Frank Wells is alive. Maybe Mini-Disneylands?
  • Hong Kong? No idea
  • Majority of vehicles in this US, Europe, and Japan by 2000 are EVs.
  • Most airliners in this world will have “glass cockpits” by 2002.
  • The LDP is forced out of office in Japan due to scandal and businesses are revealed to have close ties to yakuzas. Also LDP is hurt by ties to Moonies. Also party split will still happen. Maybe better reforms?
  • Aum Shinrikyo... hmm not sure if they happen.
  • Other cults... heaven gate and some Scientology stand-in could be in trouble.
  • France? No idea.
  • We see more advance gaming systems.
  • We see a Steve Jobs type releasing new tech (I know it’s Apple but not sure how they’ll approach Steve)
  • We could see a rebel in Colombia be Pablo Escobar? ;)

Last edited: