For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

They have no lander to go back to Phoenix so far, and I do not know how feasible is to build a makeshift one. In the worst case, it could take a month, or more. And, we do not know how far gravity affects the growth of a baby: thus, if even a month makes it impossible to move to a more heavy gravitate area...
Yes i think this story is bound to end in tragedy, although FAM does sometimes throw in a random plot device.

"We have the rocket for returning core samples to Pheonix..."

I am wondering though if it will play out in a pro-choice/pro-life abortion story. I noticed they showed Danielle reading a Bible.

Yes i think this story is bound to end in tragedy, although FAM does sometimes throw in a random plot device.

"We have the rocket for returning core samples to Pheonix..."

I am wondering though if it will play out in a pro-choice/pro-life abortion story. I noticed they showed Danielle reading a Bible.
Yet it's an issue of fetal viability. Also, would Kelly rather abort or think the baby is the only thing she has left of the Russian cosmonaut she loves?

The series shows one thing: the Soviet men are irresistable to American women. First Margo, then Kelly... Who's next to get a Soviet boyfriend?

Bad news are: the Helios lost they landers/shuttles and their fuel factory. Do they have enough fuel for the Phoenix to go back? And even if factory surivived, or cistern with fuel survived or NASA can spare their fuel (or Soviet fuel) from the Sojourner, they do not have any way to get it to the Phoenix.
So it is quite possible that they are ALL stranded - both the team on Mars surface and the crew of the Phoenix.
Perhaps the Soviets will find a way. They need to achieve something. So far their expedition is full of disasters and failures and they lost most of their team. Generally their only contribution is the fact that they shared fuel with the Sojourner, since they didn't need it anymore. Oh, and they knew about water, but kept it secret. But generally the Soviets are permanently in need of help and/or rescue. Why do we bother with them anymore?
Or they are all to stay there waiting for rescue. First colony of not exactly willing settlers. While the crew of the Phoenix can survive on their Caesar salad, the team on Mars will start starving pretty soon.."

The series shows one thing: the Soviet men are irresistable to American women. First Margo, then Kelly... Who's next to get a Soviet boyfriend?

Bad news are: the Helios lost they landers/shuttles and their fuel factory. Do they have enough fuel for the Phoenix to go back? And even if factory surivived, or cistern with fuel survived or NASA can spare their fuel (or Soviet fuel) from the Sojourner, they do not have any way to get it to the Phoenix.
So it is quite possible that they are ALL stranded - both the team on Mars surface and the crew of the Phoenix.
Perhaps the Soviets will find a way. They need to achieve something. So far their expedition is full of disasters and failures and they lost most of their team. Generally their only contribution is the fact that they shared fuel with the Sojourner, since they didn't need it anymore. Oh, and they knew about water, but kept it secret. But generally the Soviets are permanently in need of help and/or rescue. Why do we bother with them anymore?
Or they are all to stay there waiting for rescue. First colony of not exactly willing settlers. While the crew of the Phoenix can survive on their Caesar salad, the team on Mars will start starving pretty soon.."
They have a hydroponics area at their base too, wasn't it where Kelly and Alexi ..er.. did some horizontal jogging?

Another part i enjoyed about this latest episode was the rehabilitation of Dev, not quite such an ass as we first thought

I believe that with help from the cosmonauts or ROCOSMOs, Phoenix is going to return to Mars-94 to salvage its landers, which were undamaged by the collision with Sojourner. They may also try to salvage the engines to get Sojourner flying again since the cosmonauts/ROSCOSMOs/Margo reveals that they're bootleg copies of the Sojourner engines anyways.

I believe that with help from the cosmonauts or ROCOSMOs, Phoenix is going to return to Mars-94 to salvage its landers, which were undamaged by the collision with Sojourner. They may also try to salvage the engines to get Sojourner flying again since the cosmonauts/ROSCOSMOs/Margo reveals that they're bootleg copies of the Sojourner engines anyways.
Weren't the engine the reason the Soviets had to abandon ship?

Yes, I do believe he was talking about the Sojourner engines. Or at least, cannibalize the Mars-94 to get everything useful still.
I do not know much about astrophysics, astronavigation etc. but I am not sure if the Phoenix can so easily reach Mars-94 and go back to Mars and then return to Earth. I mean it would take time, the planets are moving and so is the Soviet ship - it did not stop, but is still on the trajectory which would take it to Mars if the engins were still working; since they don't, it is still moving towards Mars but much slower, and because Mars is moving too, the ship is staying behind in relation to the Red Planet. It is going to the place where Mars was but when the ship gets there the planet will be long gone.
The Phoenix would need to get to Mars-94, take what they need and then return to the planet which is speeding away. Considering the fact that the Soviet ship already used a large part of its fuel supply and another large part was transfered to the Sojourner, I do not think Mars-94 has enough fuel there to make the trip worth it.
And there is still the problem of getting fuel or engins parts to the Sojourner. If they can do that, they also can take the astronauts and fuel to the Phoenix and easily return home

Last edited:
How do the Russians know she's pregnant?
Since they seem to have the only doctor in mixed NASA/Soviet team he surely regularly examined all the astronauts and cosmonauts; after all they are on Mars in a very different environment, living in close spaces, after a long travel (space radiation).... And there is still a possibility of life on Mars. Blood tests were probably made often enough.

Me too though maybe it was what they used to bring down the drill of doom and it was destroyed?

This was my thought. It would be crazy not to add redundancy here if cargo space is not your limiting factor, so they both must’ve been destroyed. I’d say spare parts and onboard mfg seems like a no-brainer, but all these missions were cobbled together. Just because Helios made it seem like they’d be ready doesn’t mean it wasn’t all just smoke and marketing.

I love the idea someone had about retrieving the Soviet lander, but considering it conked out at the top of a burn with a trajectory throwing it wide of Mars, I don’t think it’s an option. Remember, it’s not like a station wagon broken down on the side of the road; it’s going high-speed toward the asteroid belt.

Salvaging Sojourner seems like the only option. Part of me is hoping they’ll need to rig a skyhook somehow, but I doubt they’ve got the means. (It’d be rad tho!)

Finally got to watch the episode yesterday!

I was so sad at who died in the landslide! Such a bummer, especially Nick. Also, he was the only one that knew that Danny had switched off the coms. Do we think he will come clean on his own now with at least three deaths being his fault? I did like the heart-to-heart that he and Ed eventually had though.

When it comes to Alexi, I may have teared up a bit when they showed Kelly sobbing over him. Was not ready for that. The bombshell afterward that she's pregnant didn't surprise me so much. I suspected they'd do that once they showed the two of them in the hydroponics room at the NASA base.

I am also curious how the plot with President Wilson will carry out. The revelation about Pam and their "reunion" seems to have her quite rattled. Is she going to do something rash like come out?

I sincerely love For All Mankind, but I feel like the series is jumping the shark with the continued pile up of disaster on disaster this season. It's becoming increasingly improbable and stretching my suspension of disbelief that they could possibly survive all this.

The characterization of the Soviets also leaves much to be desired frequently they, especially the cosmonauts on Mars, are portrayed as ungrateful and rude for seemingly no purpose.

I do hope RDM can turn this around, but his track record of writing himself into holes that he handwaves himself out of is not great.

I sincerely love For All Mankind, but I feel like the series is jumping the shark with the continued pile up of disaster on disaster this season. It's becoming increasingly improbable and stretching my suspension of disbelief that they could possibly survive all this.

The characterization of the Soviets also leaves much to be desired frequently they, especially the cosmonauts on Mars, are portrayed as ungrateful and rude for seemingly no purpose.

I do hope RDM can turn this around, but his track record of writing himself into holes that he handwaves himself out of is not great.
I definitely agree.
I’ve been having that feeling creeping up on me ever since the disaster on the Soviet Mars mission earlier in the season. And as things just continued to get worse and worse, I couldn’t help but think "How on earth are these space programs still operating?"
Yeah, I know they’re much more important and independent in this timeline. But if we just keep throwing people into the meat grinder eventually people are gonna get sick and tired of failure, no? Even with "the space race" at stake.

Yeah, I know its cold war, space race and all, but I also agree that the show unecesarilly potray the Soviets as assholes as they can. I mean, c'mon, frisking visiting American astronaut at the airport? Being asshole to the Americans on mars despite the only reason they're still alive is because of said Americans? Its very cartoon villain-y, y'know?

Anyway, what i found to be quite notable but rarely mentioned here is that the Soviet doctor (Mayakovsky) is the same doctor that visited Jamestown in season 2. Before this, I genuinely thought that he was just some KGB spook posing as a doctor to get a better look inside of the base, because of, you know, his assholery when examining Baranov.

Last edited: