For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

You know I have to say, I really like the natural deification of Tracy and Gordo. I hope to see the impact it's going to have on their sons. Danny almost seemed eager to do the hotel rescue because he probably has the idea of a legacy to live up to.

Meanwhile Jimmy clearly resents the image that his parents's deaths has foisted on him. This perfect image that he knows was false.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I just saw it and all I can say is what a brave new world and how I wish I could have lived in it. Im not sure the last time I was genuinely excited and not just happy to see more of a tv show but this has definitely fit that bill-cant wait for more :)

MaxGerke01

Banned
He was apparently asleep for those two terms cause Mexico turned Commie along with South America and that was OK by him
As opposed to what ? Deep American involvement in civil wars up to and including nuclear war with the Soviet Union ? Given those choices Gary did right by the US especially if the US ended up more prosperous by 1992 which there is every indication so far that it did. His 8 year term also points towards that.Given time the Soviet/Communist system will likely either reform or collapse and by 2022 the world might be in overall better shape than in OTL 2022 than it would be anyway. At the very least it keeps America great does it not ?
On a related note I like how the 1992 election is being set up between Bill Clinton who may or may not have the same flaws as OTL and Ellen Wilson a closeted lesbian married to a closeted gay man as the standard bearer for a Republican party that likely has many of the same anti gay and other positions it did OTL,We know and like Ellen overall but would her victory as the 1st female president really be the best thing ?

Last edited:
Here’s a summary of the news reports from the show page on Apple TV. I’ve included them in a spoiler tag, just in case.

1984 - The Rogers Report
The Rogers report looks into the near nuclear disaster at Jamestown. The report finds Soviet gunfire damaged the cooling system and caused the near disaster. There are rumors of a second secret nuclear reactor that was the real cause, but this is dismissed as conspiracy theories. (There really was a second reactor.) Congress calls for sanctions on the Soviet Union for nearly causing the disaster, but President Reagan disagrees. This leads to a US/USSR peace agreement that splits the moon between the two superpowers.

1985 - Internet Accessibility
Tim Berners-Lee calls for the US to open the Internet to the public. The US currently restricts it government computers.

1986 - Global Space Boom
India launches space station, joining a dozen countries, including several European nations, Japan, China, and Turkey. Frequent launches lower overall cost allowing other countries access to space. Polaris Space Tours is founded by Sam Cleveland and Karen Baldwin to provide private access to space. Their spaceplane Polaris 1 should start sending paying customers to low Earth orbit by 1987.

1987 - Clean Nuclear Energy
Dev Ayesa and Richard Hilliard develop first working nuclear fusion reactor. Helium-3 fuel for the reactor is rare on Earth, but NASA announces they found enormous deposits of Helium-3 on the Moon. NASA partners with Helios Aerospace, also founded by Ayesa and Hilliard, to mine the Helium-3. Gorbachev announces Soviet space agency Roscosmos will partner with energy conglomerate Kuragin to mine Helium-3 on the Moon. Kuragin is thriving because of Gorbachev’s hybrid market economy. President Gary Hart calls for acceleration of nuclear fusion and electric vehicles to reduce and eventually eliminate reliance on fossil fuels.

1988 - Mexico’s New President
Mexican Communist Party narrowly wins presidential election with 52% of vote defeating pro-American president. Mexican government will develop close diplomatic ties with the USSR and nationalize banks and businesses deemed critical to national interests. Five years ago, Panama’s Communist Party election win nearly caused a nuclear confrontation between the two superpowers. Since then, the US has taken a more laid back approach to legally elected communist governments, including Nicaragua, El Salvador, Colombia, Turkey, Egypt, and Greece. Communist governments support Gorbachev’s hybrid economic model combining the best of a free enterprise system and a communist broad social safety net. Senator Bob Dole and other Republicans support breaking off diplomatic relations with Mexico, but President Hart does not citing the disastrous Panama response.

1989 - Pathfinder Tragedy
NASA recovers bodies of five moon Marines killed in a training exercise when Pathfinder shuttle unexpectedly depressurized. NASA and the Department of Defense grounds Pathfinder shuttles while cause is investigated. Pathfinder has launched Thomas Paine orbital telescope and Moonlab research station as well as contributing to the rapid expansion of Jamestown. In the meantime, NASA is looking at which missions can be completed with the existing Space Shuttle fleet. Trail Blazers defeat Pistons in NBA championship. Trail Blazer Michael Jordon named MVP.

1990 - North Korean Launch
North Korean rocket explodes again during launch. It’s feared North Korea is developing long range weapons under the cover of its space program. North Korea claims it was a scientific payload to be launched into polar orbit. President Hart urges Soviet Union to pressure North Korea to allow international observers to visit its space headquarters. Soviet Union has provided support to North Korea for its space program and nuclear energy facilities. In 1988, North Korea announced it will abandon its ICBM program in exchange for the lifting of UN sanctions. Instead, it will focus on its space program.

1991 - Kuwait Invasion
Iraq invades Kuwait. President Hart refuses to send troops to help them. He doesn’t see how sending troops would help the situation in a region that has never fully embraced democratic values, good governance, or rule of law. Saudi Arabia denounces Hart’s refusal and fears Iraq will attack them next. Oil prices in OPEC have collapsed because of fusion reactors.

1992 - Presidential Primaries
Vice President Al Gore and Governor Bill Clinton running for President. Al Gore refuses to go negative in campaign against Clinton concerning allegations of improprieties in real estate deals. Senator Bob Dole is Republican front runner. Republican Senator Ellen Wilson is also running. Ross Perot running as an independent.

As opposed to what ? Deep American involvement in civil wars up to and including nuclear war with the Soviet Union ?
I don't know, letting the Iron Curtain be in El Paso somehow strikes me as the wrong move, certainly unrealistic for a show that took itself seriously before, trying not to be ASB. And it's not that the Soviets are letting up themselves. The news article mentions Soviet-led Mexican troops staging provocations alongside the US-Mexican border with a revanchist rhetoric. There's even mention of a Bill to secure the Southern Border or something like that, supported even by Democratic legislators. Needless to say, it's not a situation that is popular
His 8 year term also points towards that.Given time the Soviet/Communist system will likely either reform or collapse and by 2022 the world might be in overall better shape than in OTL 2022 than it would be anyway.
I am not arguing that the world is in worse shape. All I am saying is that if a communist Cuba lead to full time Cold War angst and fear, a communist Mexico should lead to daily duck and cover exercises.
A Soviet collapse should be a possibility even though lots of tankies within the viewer base say that it shouldn't be. Even if we spray away the massive corruption endemic into the regime that no amount of space success would drive away, fusion is the death of the Soviet Economy. The moment it's introduced in Europe (which might already be the case if global warming is receding and you have oil workers rioting and picketing NASA HQ), the oil and gas revenues that kept the Soviets afloat for much of the 20th century are gone.
On a related note I like how the 1992 election is being set up between Bill Clinton who may or may not have the same flaws as OTL and Ellen Wilson a closeted lesbian married to a closeted gay man as the standard bearer for a Republican party that likely has many of the same anti gay and other positions it did OTL,We know and like Ellen overall but would her victory as the 1st female president really be the best thing ?
I get your point and I too like the irony of this but I don't think that the parties are as extreme as in our timeline. First of all, it's the 90s, which generally was an era of bipartisanship but also American society has been pushed along to generally more liberal paths. I don't think that Ellen will mark a serious regression in that front.

I don't know, letting the Iron Curtain be in El Paso somehow strikes me as the wrong move, certainly unrealistic for a show that took itself seriously before, trying not to be ASB. And it's not that the Soviets are letting up themselves. The news article mentions Soviet-led Mexican troops staging provocations alongside the US-Mexican border with a revanchist rhetoric. There's even mention of a Bill to secure the Southern Border or something like that, supported even by Democratic legislators. Needless to say, it's not a situation that is popular
I am not arguing that the world is in worse shape. All I am saying is that if a communist Cuba lead to full time Cold War angst and fear, a communist Mexico should lead to daily duck and cover exercises.
Indeed. Soviet troops (or Soviet led Mexican troops, not that different) directly on US border? Even if it is a soft communism, that is too dangerous, especially with large number of Mexicans in US with families still in Mexico. A perfect recruiting ground for KGB or even potential fifth column in case of conflict. I would not be surprised if there was a strong push for a harsher policy towards illegal immigrates. And US Army would need to keep strong garrisons on their southern border.
I get a strange Red Alert 2 / Red Dawn vibes...

A Soviet collapse should be a possibility even though lots of tankies within the viewer base say that it shouldn't be. Even if we spray away the massive corruption endemic into the regime that no amount of space success would drive away, fusion is the death of the Soviet Economy. The moment it's introduced in Europe (which might already be the case if global warming is receding and you have oil workers rioting and picketing NASA HQ), the oil and gas revenues that kept the Soviets afloat for much of the 20th century are gone.
I agree. It is highly impropable. Perhaps the Soviet economy worked better in 1970s thanks to new technologies achieved thanks to space race (invented in USSR or stolen from the West) and 1980s Andropov launched a drastic but surprisingly successful anti-corruption campaign starting with a purge in the KGB itself; then Gorbachev by some miracle managed to make Soviet economy actually working. But the gas and oil prices going down is a real problem for the USSR, if not a deathstroke.
Although I think that even with nuclear fusion oil will still be relatively important. While there is no need for coal or oil electric plants anymore and railways or public transport in cities can be fully electric (tramways and trolleybuses) I think that at least planes (military and civilian), smaller ships, cars and trucks will still use oil as fuel. And it is also used for production of plastics, greases etc.
I get your point and I too like the irony of this but I don't think that the parties are as extreme as in our timeline. First of all, it's the 90s, which generally was an era of bipartisanship but also American society has been pushed along to generally more liberal paths. I don't think that Ellen will mark a serious regression in that front.
I don't know. I think that at least some people would criticize her for lying for so many years. Lying to NASA authorities is one thing, with good enough motive (and she had one) most of people would be willing to forgive her. But when she starts in elections and most probably presents herself as a good (heterosexual) wife, she is lying to all Americans. If I was her adversary in elections I would ask her what else she was lying about.

MaxGerke01

Banned
If the Soviet Union is stronger and lasts longer as it is and has ittl its possible its system could have been much more popular in the southern Western Hemisphere where it always had a fair amount of support OTL so I dont think this totally asb. So no I dont think it would be a popular situation but its more popular than the alternatives which a 2 term Hart presidency bears out.
Or perhaps despite all this in some ways the Cold War has receded because mutually assured destruction is the order of the day because Hart likely assured the Soviets that despite their huffing and puffing if they ever took a step into the USA proper then there goes their ball game.
This is very likely and if not it would be something else.
It would if Ellen and Larry remain closeted and the Republican party still supports a return to and a maintenance of a 1950s Beaver Cleaver type America. No matter how more liberal and less extreme the parties have become I still think its very likely that at least as part of distinguishing themselves from the Democrats the Republicans have maintained at least elements of their cultural conservatism. Also we heard that Pat Robertson was their 1988 nominee for you know whos sake. Ellen leading a party like that and winning just would not be right imo.

Last edited:
certainly unrealistic for a show that took itself seriously before, trying not to be ASB.
Ah, see, that's the mistake. It should have been apparent from the space stuff that For All Mankind wasn't trying to be that from about the end of Season 1, if not the trailers to Season 2.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Indeed. Soviet troops (or Soviet led Mexican troops, not that different) directly on US border? Even if it is a soft communism, that is too dangerous, especially with large number of Mexicans in US with families still in Mexico. A perfect recruiting ground for KGB or even potential fifth column in case of conflict. I would not be surprised if there was a strong push for a harsher policy towards illegal immigrates. And US Army would need to keep strong garrisons on their southern border.
I get a strange Red Alert 2 / Red Dawn vibes...
Or not because as stated above the Soviets would likely know full well what would happen if they stepped into the USA proper. Not thinking its better to be dead than red doesnt mean you will actually sit back and let yourself become red when it comes down to it.
I don't know. I think that at least some people would criticize her for lying for so many years. Lying to NASA authorities is one thing, with good enough motive (and she had one) most of people would be willing to forgive her. But when she starts in elections and most probably presents herself as a good (heterosexual) wife, she is lying to all Americans. If I was her adversary in elections I would ask her what else she was lying about.
Well for some Americans the issue wouldnt be that she was lying because as a Republican especially its understandable that she was lying considering what it was about. The issue would be the hypocrisy of what she was lying about and being the face of a party likely opposed to who she and her husband really are. If Clinton has any integrity thats how he would frame it because making it about her lying would conflate it with making about her being lesbian.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Ah, see, that's the mistake. It should have been apparent from the space stuff that For All Mankind wasn't trying to be that from about the end of Season 1, if not the trailers to Season 2.
Why ? Even without the extended existence of the Soviet Union the possibility of a 2001 type world was a real possibility by 1990s there just needed to be much different decisions as most of the tech to make it possible was there.