For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

I was wondering if there were maybe, um, “better” weapons than an m16 to take to the Moon. Considering how many things can kill you in space, plus supply constraints, training, and maybe even the fore-shortened spaces (less range needed), are there simpler alternatives? Is this a case of, “the Americans spent millions developing an m16 you could fire in space; the Russians spent $200 to put an air canister on a Red Rider.”

Probably not that specifically, but....big ol taser? Rock-thrower?
Space Force (the terrible netflix show) had BB guns as that is all that would be needed to puncture a space suit. As bad as that show was, I thought that was a clever detail.

MaxGerke01

Banned
The Luna Missile Crisis is the name of a new AH book I just purchased but it involves aliens in addition to the US and Soviets.I have a feeking that is being set up here but without aliens just like BSG 2003. That RDM is consistent...

Just noticed they’re adding these video phone messages as bonus material after the last two episodes. The first is Jimmy complaining like an indignant child about how George Lucas owes him a different movie than RotJ, it’s pretty hysterical. The second is Ellen being all cute and smitten about Pam.

It does indicate that those video phone units might be commercially available.

I liked episode 6, although did anyone else notice the slight continuity error when Dani and her Apollo crewmate are talking to the Soyuz crew? When they give a toast to fallen cosmonauts, the Soyuz commander mentions the names of Vladimir Komarov, who was killed ITOL on Soyuz 1 as well Georgy Dobrovolsky, Vladislav Volkov and Viktor Patsayev, who were killed ITOL on Soyuz 11. This is perfectly fine on its own its not a stretch to think that these disasters happened ITTL as well, although I seem to remember in season one the Soviets lost a cosmonaut during a Lunar landing, and they don't seem to mention him. I don't think they ever explicitly named the cosmonaut killed, but it was insinuated he died when he crashed an LK lander into the surface while landing.

They did seem to indicate the Soviets were trying pretty hard to keep that secret, so it could possibly just not be public knowledge yet and that's why it wasn't mentioned, although it would have been hard for them to still be keeping that a secret over a decade later. And I feel like it would have been a nice nod to all of us who have been invested since season one for them to mention that cosmonaut and give him a name during the toast.

My personal prediction: Ellen gives up Pam AGAIN and sticks with Larry. Something will happen that convinces her to sacrifice her own love life again - possibly a career in politics or further advancement to Mars.

I liked episode 6, although did anyone else notice the slight continuity error when Dani and her Apollo crewmate are talking to the Soyuz crew? When they give a toast to fallen cosmonauts, the Soyuz commander mentions the names of Vladimir Komarov, who was killed ITOL on Soyuz 1 as well Georgy Dobrovolsky, Vladislav Volkov and Viktor Patsayev, who were killed ITOL on Soyuz 11. This is perfectly fine on its own its not a stretch to think that these disasters happened ITTL as well, although I seem to remember in season one the Soviets lost a cosmonaut during a Lunar landing, and they don't seem to mention him. I don't think they ever explicitly named the cosmonaut killed, but it was insinuated he died when he crashed an LK lander into the surface while landing.

They did seem to indicate the Soviets were trying pretty hard to keep that secret, so it could possibly just not be public knowledge yet and that's why it wasn't mentioned, although it would have been hard for them to still be keeping that a secret over a decade later. And I feel like it would have been a nice nod to all of us who have been invested since season one for them to mention that cosmonaut and give him a name during the toast.
It’s a good catch and a good explanation. If you asked these Cosmonauts in 1983 about Molotov-Ribbentrop they’d deny it and probably storm out of the room. Dani seems like the most diplomatic person in the whole episode to begin with, so she follows their lead.

I’m just glad they eventually included Laika. Getting sloppy and blubbering about Laika. It’s like the writers were tailing me in college.

My personal prediction: Ellen gives up Pam AGAIN and sticks with Larry. Something will happen that convinces her to sacrifice her own love life again - possibly a career in politics or further advancement to Mars.

Honestly, I’m not a fan of either of the romantic plots this episode. Jerking Pam around after a decade and saying ‘I’m ready now!’ is dickish behavior. So is dropping the sudden divorce on Larry—if there’s any media attention whatsoever on her, it’s highly unlikely that Larry can escape being outed. And Gordo needs to have more self-respect—know your own worth, man! If she didn’t want you when you needed her, she doesn’t deserve you now that you’re back in the saddle!

That out of the way:

Kind of weird that the androgynous docking system hasn’t been developed yet. One would think, with a decade of station ops and orbital refueling, that NASA would have come up with it by now.

Otherwise, the interactions with the Soviets weren’t half bad. I like that they play up the tight leash under which they’re operating compared to the Americans, and the hostility of the USSR when Danielle and her copilot visit Star City. A few shots of the Soviets arranging to smuggle some blue jeans and VCRs home in their luggage would have completed the picture, though.

I liked the space crews bonding over burgers and JD.

Did the Apple Macs of that period really not have anything but HUGE text and no interface? I remember even DOS programs having GUI.

The 11.59 meeting was cool. I do feel the young genius may cause herself resentment among co-workers for being that close to Margo and the new design.

Pam and Larry - I still think there will be a HIV curve ball here.

Good episod.

I liked the space crews bonding over burgers and JD.

Did the Apple Macs of that period really not have anything but HUGE text and no interface? I remember even DOS programs having GUI.

The 11.59 meeting was cool. I do feel the young genius may cause herself resentment among co-workers for being that close to Margo and the new design.

Pam and Larry - I still think there will be a HIV curve ball here.

Good episod.
I used a 1986 version of WordPerfect (well into the 90s) and that didn’t have a GUI. But now that you mention it, whatever she was using looked a lot more like something you’d boot up from DOS than a Mac program.

Wow, that was something. Staring us right in the face from OTL. Should’ve seen that coming! They even gave us a hint in last week’s bonus material.

Other initial impressions: hey it’s Jimmy! Does he have the potential to hold Georgia’s seat in the senate for the Democrats for the next 40 years? I wouldn’t put it past him.

Small thing but I really liked that Kelly has an old apple II in her room. Often you see a movie set in, say, 1954, every car on the street is a ‘54 model. It’s a pet peeve. Nice to see an old hand me down machine in the kid’s room.

I’m surprised the Downing of KAL 007 wasn’t butterflied away.
Makes me wonder if there will be a mention on the two nuclear close calls of 1983...

Another infidelity scene? rolls eyes

That scene of Baldwin’s adoptive daughter finding information on her birth parents:
What did the writers decide on the fate of the Vietnam War ITTL?
I ask because the daughter mentions the phrase “Republic of Vietnam”, which was reserved for South Vietnam.

Anyway, I thought it was funny how the cosmonauts reacted. Haha.

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoyed episode 7, up there with S1E5 as my favorite episode in the show so far. Didn't see Paine's death until the shot switched to the rear of the 747 and my mind snapped into play and connected 1983, Korea and 747. Also the people involved in FAM need to be commended on how amazing the deep fake technology they are using is, the scene where Ronald Reagan is standing with Ellen (and John Glenn I think?) took me aback, seemed so real.

I imagine from here Reagan is going to appoint Ellen as full NASA Administrator, She will probably have a lot going for her after the American's re-took their mining site on her advice and she will sail thought the Senate, but her relationship with Pam will threaten her public standing (and standing with the President) while in tern her job will threaten her relationship with Pam. Also I guess the Senator Jimmy Carter thing was just because they had some historic footage of him they could use and we won't really hear from Senator Carter in the future, although my over-analyzing brain is still going to try and work out how his career has panned out now that he isn't President. I assume since Ted Kennedy was elected in '72, he knew he probably wasn't going to be able to run for President in '76 as Teddy would be running for a second term, so he decided to run for Senate in 1974 as his term as Governor came to an end, and primary-ed Herman Talmadge as a more civil-rights friendly candidate.

If I had to complain it would be the scene with Karen and Danny Stevens, that was just weird (she's known him since he was like 11 at least which is a bit icky) even if it has been being hinted at for the last few episodes.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I’m surprised the Downing of KAL 007 wasn’t butterflied away.
Makes me wonder if there will be a mention on the two nuclear close calls of 1983...

Another infidelity scene? rolls eyes

That scene of Baldwin’s adoptive daughter finding information on her birth parents:
I ask because the daughter mentions the phrase “Republic of Vietnam”, which was reserved for South Vietnam.

Anyway, I thought it was funny how the cosmonauts reacted. Haha.
On the other hand looks like no Challenger disaster. As far as nuclear close calls in 1983 I think we might be about to see one that rivals The Cuban Missile Crisis in terms of close calls. I think FAM indicates that Nixon comes to an earlier agreement and troop withdrawl from Vietnam but as you say the question now with the Republic of Vietnam listed in the email is did the North take over the South ittl ?

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Thoroughly enjoyed episode 7, up there with S1E5 as my favorite episode in the show so far. Didn't see Paine's death until the shot switched to the rear of the 747 and my mind snapped into play and connected 1983, Korea and 747. Also the people involved in FAM need to be commended on how amazing the deep fake technology they are using is, the scene where Ronald Reagan is standing with Ellen (and John Glenn I think?) took me aback, seemed so real.

I imagine from here Reagan is going to appoint Ellen as full NASA Administrator, She will probably have a lot going for her after the American's re-took their mining site on her advice and she will sail thought the Senate, but her relationship with Pam will threaten her public standing (and standing with the President) while in tern her job will threaten her relationship with Pam. Also I guess the Senator Jimmy Carter thing was just because they had some historic footage of him they could use and we won't really hear from Senator Carter in the future, although my over-analyzing brain is still going to try and work out how his career has panned out now that he isn't President. I assume since Ted Kennedy was elected in '72, he knew he probably wasn't going to be able to run for President in '76 as Teddy would be running for a second term, so he decided to run for Senate in 1974 as his term as Governor came to an end, and primary-ed Herman Talmadge as a more civil-rights friendly candidate.

If I had to complain it would be the scene with Karen and Danny Stevens, that was just weird (she's known him since he was like 11 at least which is a bit icky) even if it has been being hinted at for the last few episodes.
Well we may not have seen the end of Senator Carter. If RDM and the other writers are wanting to have an AH for the masses it makes some sense for them to have Jimmy Carter come in in1984 after two terms of Reagan who ittl beat Carters OTL VP Mondale in 1980- just a little switchero if you will. I hope thats not what they are planning -not out of any shade towards Carter but just hoping they now take the chance to more fully break away from OTL and go full AH with Gary Hart or John Glenn or someone else. Also a successful launch of Buran seems to be set up so that alone provides some great AH..

I don’t look at KAL as “not butterflied away” so much as “repurposed as plausible.” Plus, it gave them a chance to use all that real footage.

Also agree that they had the Carter clip and just wanted to use it, so why not make him a senator? (Just like they had Shultz as Secretary of State.) Though I could be wrong and he could be a contender. Agree with others that I hope the show doesn’t go that route. Either way, they’ll probably skip over whoever it is and take us to the 90s or beyond next season.

I think FAM indicates that Nixon comes to an earlier agreement and troop withdrawl from Vietnam but as you say the question now with the Republic of Vietnam listed in the email is did the North take over the South ittl ?
The birth records (one dated 1966, the other 1974) are definitely South Vietnamese, with the father's occupation being an ARVN interpreter and the distinctive hyphenation between syllables of the same word (i.e. Việt-Nam instead of Việt Nam, a Southern practice phased out completely after reunification). The postage stamps are all OTL post-unification designs, though, and the ink stamps and sender's address clearly reads "Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh" (in constrast to the birth records, which reads "Saigon"); either a glaring oversight or a hint that the North took over in ATL as well. That the ARVN father emigrated to Texas is probably evidence for the latter.

Last edited: