For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Maybe someone could screen cap the the opening montage of events.
Also can anyone catch the names of all the shuttles?

Shuttle names I caught: Kon-Tiki, Columbia, Beagle, Discovery, Enterprise, Endeavour, Atlantis, Victoria, and Constitution. That doesn't include the secretive military shuttle fleet they mentioned, or the next-gen Pathfinder they're about the test. Also in the news report they mention the existence of more than one Sea Dragon purely for cargo (they pluralize it, so it's at least two).

They also specifically refer to "orbiters," making me wonder if there's a different technical class of shuttle that can't do a TLI vs a class that can? I don't know how that breaks down, but Kon-Tiki is called an orbiter, and Columbia is specifically at the moon, so clearly it can get there and back. I guess it could just be a different configuration with different cast-off rockets, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure in the preview we see just a shuttle with no extra rockets attached orbiting the moon. So it would seem the shuttle itself is capable of getting home, at least.

Maybe it's just a designation. If a shuttle is only ferrying people to Earth orbit and back, it's an orbiter, otherwise it's...whatever.

MaxGerke01

Banned
It sounds like Enterprise wasn’t just a test shuttle in this timeline. Of course RDM would give some love to her.
On a semi related note a large supply of lithium is found on the Moon that the US issues an ownership claim on to the Soviets. Seems to be an homage to dilithum ...

MaxGerke01

Banned
The rest of the names I get, but why Beagle?
Its also related to exploration and discovery as it was the name of Charles Darwins ship... Also NASA seems to have a close relationship with the ESA as its astronauts are depicted on Skylab and on the Moon so perhaps its an acknowledgement of that ?

Last edited:
So what was the logic of Molly taking off her wrist meter? She gonna say that the other guy made it back on his own unconscious during the flare?

The Canadian flag is on ESA patch huh. So are they not doing missions with NASA then?

QmGpfOq.png

Edit: Ah Canada is an associate member of the ESA In real life, and is on the real ESA seal

es92McG.png

So what was the logic of Molly taking off her wrist meter? She gonna say that the other guy made it back on his own unconscious during the flare?
Yeah she probably doesn't want to worry them.

Last edited:
The Canadian flag is on ESA patch huh. So are they not doing missions with NASA then?

Yeah she probably doesn't want to worry them.
Unless she argues that he lost his memory of stumbling to the lava tube, it makes zero sense. Plus, you know, she’s going to show some symptoms of radiation exposure.

Side note: super sad that the flare scouring the surface like it did erased Ed’s tribute to his son.

MaxGerke01

Banned
BTW in this timeline Star Trek is probably still cancelled in 1969 before the moon landing but with the Soviets reaching the moon first its decided that Americans need a morale boost and a show depicting Westerners in general and Americans in particular dominating space is just what they need. So the Animated Series is butterflied away and there is a revival. Not quite Star Trek Phase II or TMP but close ? All the main actors -even Shatner :p- demand bigger roles and Star Trek is the first show to depict an interracal marraige and a lgbt kiss ? Just some headcanon until there is something official that contradicts it but I have to say there is a big difference between naming the first experimential shuttle Enterprise and naming the first shuttle to go ino space Enterprise.Both indicate the big role Star Trek had in pop culture at the time but ittl its probably much bigger. Who hasnt seen that famous picture of Danielle Poole and Nichelle Nichols both in their uniforms ?

Last edited:
So the opening mentions the Enterprise being the first shuttle and launching in '81.

It's '83 in the show right now and they have 9 shuttles, plus possibly other shuttles used by the military

That seems like a lot in a short time, especially compared to IRL.

It’s possible it’s just there for dramatic contrast. It’s also possible she’s going to try to hide her condition for whatever reason; we’ll see.

But mainly, if I put myself in her shoes, I want to know if I’ve killed myself. If her monitor still turned red in that (pretty shallow) lava tube, she’d probably be thinking, “well, at least I die with conviction rather than cowardice.” Knowing that would be comforting. It’s not what ended up happening, but I can see wanting that knowledge.

According to the shows TV Tropes page, the Berlin incident everyone keeps mentioning relates to East German forces trying to follow a couple defecting to West Germany, killing them and almost provoking nuclear war. However, I’m having a hard time finding any confirmation of this.

That said, there’s apparently an iOS app out called the For All Mankind: Time Capsule which is supposed to contain more lore, so it’s possible it’s squirreled away in there

I had my fun seeing first episode of season 2

NASA has allot in Space and big Shuttle fleet (around nine Orbiter !)
Margot complain that too Much orbiter are parked in Edwards and ask USAF to park some at VAFB,
What surprised me was Baldwin remark that second generation Shuttle will be new era for Moon and Mars Exploration.
seems that first Generation flew much early as OTL, in 1978 ?

The Social development of characters is dam good
Also the setup towards the Conflict, with Panama and Berlin (what ever happen there) and that event in the first Episode.

The ages are weird right? Like Gordo looks like it's been over a decade but his wife looks the same as yesterday. Also surprised we didn't get to see Danny Stevens in this episode - for a moment, I thought he might be that redheaded pilot but realized he was too unfamiliar with Joel Kinnaman's character. We saw his younger brother Jimmy who is a far less important character whereas Danny is a main character this season.

Not a fan of our queen Molly needlessly putting herself in danger but I guess that is what she would do.

Personal butterfly away of the Clemson Tigers' recruiting violations in '81. My alt life college age freshman will be happier in '82.

Also the guy that did Carson's voice(I think that was a dub) sucked. Carson's voice was not that low.

According to the shows TV Tropes page, the Berlin incident everyone keeps mentioning relates to East German forces trying to follow a couple defecting to West Germany, killing them and almost provoking nuclear war. However, I’m having a hard time finding any confirmation of this.

That said, there’s apparently an iOS app out called the For All Mankind: Time Capsule which is supposed to contain more lore, so it’s possible it’s squirreled away in there

Yeah, for like half a day if you went on the Apple+ page for the show, there were eight news reports for things that happened between season 1 and 2, including Berlin. When I checked last night, they were already taken down for some reason (I guess so you’d download the app).

East German guards pursue a couple like a block into West Berlin and kill them in the street. US troops exchange fire in return. The whole city goes on lockdown, which cascades to DEAFCON 3. The resolution is yadda yadda’d, I think, but whatever happens, things calm down after a bit.

Yeah, for like half a day if you went on the Apple+ page for the show, there were eight news reports for things that happened between season 1 and 2, including Berlin. When I checked last night, they were already taken down for some reason (I guess so you’d download the app).

East German guards pursue a couple like a block into West Berlin and kill them in the street. US troops exchange fire in return. The whole city goes on lockdown, which cascades to DEAFCON 3. The resolution is yadda yadda’d, I think, but whatever happens, things calm down after a bit.
Let’s see if I can remember the other news stories. This is not going to be in order, but:
Berlin
Panama aligns with Soviets, wants canal back
Earlier shuttle launch
Reagan wins by a hair in ‘76, with a Florida 2000 -style result in Ohio
Close Encounters sweeps the Oscars over Annie Hall and Star Wars
John Lennon survives
Erg...there are like two more...

There was something on the Jamestown expansion (which we see the result of in episode one) that mentioned a max crew of 30. But that may have been part of the shuttle story.

Personally, I like the Roman Polanski butterfly.

Also, I said it before, but I appreciate so much that the show tackles its socio-political issues with nuance and subtlety. The electric cars are mediocre and advocated by the nameless military industrial bureaucrat, mocked by the show’s main character, but still better than what was around in the real 1983, and there is a tacit implication that they’re due to better opinions around nuclear due to no TMI.