For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

In a TL where there is such a substantial focus on the moon, would the shuttle even get built?
It does make a kind of sense programatically as one of the most meaningful steps toward resusability, especially given that NASA seemed pretty wedded to the idea that the F-1 engine was altogether too expensive. Sea Dragon's existence might even reinforce that if it's a cargo only system with an emphasis on fueling reusable systems.

What makes very little sense is OTL's shuttle being favored over a smaller logistics oriented version if in a TL that a mixed fleet is avaiable.

Yeah I guess I could see a shuttle like program, but one that is different that OTL, probably more austere as you suggested.

Deleted member 90563

Why in the world would you build a shuttle with thermal protection tiles, wings and a tail rudder for flights from Earth to the Moon? It just doesn't make any sense.

M-16's are very dust prone. My time in Desert Storm saw me cleaning the damned thing at least twice a day. Don't even want to think about about lunar dust levels. Plus I'd imagine there's gonna need to be a new lubricant tolerant to the lunar temperature ranges as well.

Lunar dust is worst, is something like dry cement powder ~ Vulcanic ash
does horror things with moving parts and exposed surface
i guess that those M-16 got allot overwork by NASA to work in Vacuum and Lunar surface...

i guess that those M-16 got allot overwork by NASA to work in Vacuum and Lunar surface...

What if the Soviets have AK-47s adapted to work under moon conditions?

What if the Soviets have AK-47s adapted to work under moon conditions?
Based on the story about the NASA ballpen versus the Soviet pencil, the Soviets are using repeating crossbows which work all the time vs the assault rifles which stop working due ingesting regolith :p

I really do want to know how that worked out - obviously they can replicate conditions on earth and do a lot of testing, but ultimately you have to bring some of them up to the Moon and try them out. Is there a lunar firing range? Did they strap one of these XM-16L's to a lunar rover and drive around, get dust all over it, practice clearing jams and malfunctions?

I shouldn't have this many questions but I do.

Is there a lunar firing range?
not quite
first they simulate the Lunar conditions on Earth

This here how Ak-47 are teste on working in Dust

Instead Dust it a Vacuum chamber and guy waring pressure suit
After that the Prototype and serial version are ready they are field tested on the Moon
if NASA or Pentagon need a lunar firing range there is another question...

You know, I really like the idea of using the Gyrojet. It wasn't impractical even as is, and solves a lot of the things that genuinely make small arms in space problematic.

I'm surprised at the focus on the guns, but anyway: Reloading is going to be a bitch, so given the lack of gravity why not go with substantially larger mags? Yes the momentum will make it more difficult to manoeuvre, but recoil will be less of an issue as will dust. The cartridges would need a redesign, if only to ensure the correct mix of prop and oxidiser. This will need careful testing, either to match current ballistics or to validate the new ones.
Would gas operation really be an issue? Firing on the moon gives a net pressure differential (chamber to atmosphere) extremely close to that on Earth, so why would the rifle suffer for this?

One can only hope that they have IMR develop the cartridge rather than take the Army's preferred powder.

Based on the story about the NASA ballpen versus the Soviet pencil, the Soviets are using repeating crossbows which work all the time vs the assault rifles which stop working due ingesting regolith :p
To be fair, apparently pencils were a nightmare to work with in zero g, pencil shavings and graphite chips flying everywhere

As for the heat radiators on the Shuttle, has it occurred to anyone that the picture we saw might be the result of an in-story malfunction or something?