For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

So it's 24 goes to pick up Ed and replaces the crew, transfers Ed to 25 which returns to Earth and the LEM returns to the moon?

So it's 24 goes to pick up Ed and replaces the crew, transfers Ed to 25 which returns to Earth and the LEM returns to the moon?

Good question--Ed's on the Moon without a CSM for return right now, and 24 will only have one, so the question is, what exactly will Ed be flying back on? I don't think NASA will want to leave Deke, Ellen, and Harry alone on the Moon without their own return CSM, so maybe another gets lofted later on for them.

Good question--Ed's on the Moon without a CSM for return right now, and 24 will only have one, so the question is, what exactly will Ed be flying back on? I don't think NASA will want to leave Deke, Ellen, and Harry alone on the Moon without their own return CSM, so maybe another gets lofted later on for them.

I mean - 24 will go, Deke drops Harry and Ellen off, picks up Ed, Deke ferrys Ed to 25, which takes him home. Deke returns to Jamestown with the reusable LEM (refuelling via 25s payload).

Is the soviet perspective also shown or are they satisfied with a flag on the moon?

Nope. The Reds are simply that mysterious power that dastardly achieves Moon landing (and other things) before the US and is generally the only reason NASA does anything after that: first female cosmonaut on the Moon is Soviet? US will train their own female astronauts. The Soviets plan to build a base on the Moon? America will do it first. Etc., etc.
I would love to see a Soviet side of the space race. I wrote about it earlier. But I do not believe it will happen.

They could use the configuration proposed in OTL during the Skylab program when it was looking like there might need to be a rescue mission - this gives the CSM room for five crew:
p104.jpg

The CSM would have been launched with a crew of two and come back along with the three astronauts from the station.
Details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylab_Rescue

Last edited:
They could use the configuration proposed in OTL during the Skylab program when it was looking like there might need to be a rescue mission - this gives the CSM room for five crew:
View attachment 507982
The CSM would have been launched with a crew of two and come back along with the three astronauts from the station.

Now, the qualification here is that yes, it could have been done, but it was only meant for a brief foray to Low Earth Orbit, and then immediately back down. They stripped things down to make that possible.

A three day voyage to the Moon, crammed in like that, is a different story. The life support requirements are going to be a lot heftier.

Of course, if you could dock it with some kind of habitation module in LEO, that would be a different story...

I’m more concerned about the fact that, however many seats you cram into one CM, this ends with a crew on the Moon not having a lifeboat back to Earth. NASA needs to launch a second CSM to avoid that situation.

I wonder how Star Trek is effected by events in this series’ timeline?

Phase II gets made as there is more interest in space?

I wonder how Star Trek is effected by events in this series’ timeline?

Phase II gets made as there is more interest in space?

I think we probably get Phase II circa 73, rather than later in the seventies, with Nixon's Women and Molly Cobb. Refit Enterprise or a new ship altogether (SeaHawk after the Apollo 15 LEM?), but this time with Molly having found the Jamestown site, Roddenberry stands his ground and we get a female XO if Nimoy stands his ground as per Phase II plans, refusing to return and they replace Spock.

Perhaps a female version of Will Decker? Assuming OTL actors exist, who might portray a 1973 First Officer? Stefanie Powers would be about the right age, whilst Kate Jackson might be a little on the younger side, though they would be my two top picks to play against Shatners Kirk.

Last edited:
Having spent FAR too much time thinking about this over the past two days ...

29d6eda99097e169f2ee08f7925f3c88.jpg

Enterprise II first aired on 10th September 1973 (i) with Part 1 of a two part story, "The God Thing" (ii). After Starfleet looses communication with the USS Seahawk, James T. Kirk must command the Enterprise II to confront an alien entity presenting itself as God. He is joined by several old friends - Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott (James Doohan), Communications Officer Uhura (Nichelle Nicholls) and Helmsman Hikaru Sulu (George Takei) - and welcomes several new ones - including First Officer Wilhemina "Will" Decker (Diana Muldaur), pragmatic and efficient with a caustic wit.

Leonard Nimoy and Deforrest Kelley both refuse to return to a new Star Trek, which necessitates the introduction of both a new First Officer and a new Chief Medical Officer. With Molly Cobb having made world news a few years earlier, and the continued prominence of Nixon's Women, Roddenberry stands his grounds and insists to studio chiefs that the new First Officer must be a woman - largely inspired by Molly Cobb herself. She would be used as a device with which to challenge Kirks now questionable chauvinism, whilst the new Medical Officer Doctor Adam Marcus would be used to explore alternative medicines, and would evoke hippy counter culture, clashing with the rather more straight laced Decker.

Chekhov was left out of the show.

(i) The Animated Series started OTL on the 8th September 73, a Saturday. Enterprise II debuts on the following Monday instead, in the build up to the landing of Jamestown Base.
(ii) Rodenberry reportedly presented a script of this story in 1975, he may have held the idea for longer.

mspence

Banned
Mark Hamill, chosen to play the role of Adam Marcus, a young and brilliant but somewhat rebellious Starfleet Academy graduate:
4UXfC-1462374600-3770-list_items-hamill_genhosp.jpg

I think we probably get Phase II circa 73, rather than later in the seventies, with Nixon's Women and Molly Cobb. Refit Enterprise or a new ship altogether (SeaHawk after the Apollo 15 LEM?), but this time with Molly having found the Jamestown site, Roddenberry stands his ground and we get a female XO if Nimoy stands his ground as per Phase II plans, refusing to return and they replace Spock.

Perhaps a female version of Will Decker? Assuming OTL actors exist, who might portray a 1973 First Officer? Stefanie Powers would be about the right age, whilst Kate Jackson might be a little on the younger side, though they would be my two top picks to play against Shatners Kirk.

TBH, with Molly Cobb and everything else happening, Roddenberry's "standing up" might look more like this:

Roddenberry: I'm standing up this time for a female XO.

Executives: Yep, we agree.

Roddenberry: This is the 20th century!

Executives: Absolutely, plus did you know girls will buy space merchandise now?

Roddenberry: I will simply not do the show without a female XO.

Executives: Right, of course. And did you know young boys now accept female characters in space as major characters and thus won't stop buying our merchandise?

Roddenberry: This is the time to do something daring!

Executives: Can we get ad-space for female-centered products in this timeslot?

Welp.

Good episode. Scared for Molly but knew she would make it out because
Production Spoilers
she's a regular in season two
. Poor Harrison Lu. You were barely a character and yet I felt a connection.

So Ed Baldwin just started World War Three. I think in the short term, they'll blame him. Then they'll blame Danielle. When the truth comes out, they'll then blame Gordo and eventually NASA, and maybe Ted Kennedy.

TBH, with Molly Cobb and everything else happening, Roddenberry's "standing up" might look more like this:

Roddenberry: I'm standing up this time for a female XO.

Executives: Yep, we agree.

Roddenberry: This is the 20th century!

Executives: Absolutely, plus did you know girls will buy space merchandise now?

Roddenberry: I will simply not do the show without a female XO.

Executives: Right, of course. And did you know young boys now accept female characters in space as major characters and thus won't stop buying our merchandise?

Roddenberry: This is the time to do something daring!

Executives: Can we get ad-space for female-centered products in this timeslot?

This is probably very true.

Does anyone else fancy fleshing out the Enterprise II concept, pending anything that happens in next week's finale?

Haven't watched this week's episode yet as am blasting through Season 4 of The Expanse, but pondering more Enterprise II ...

Perhaps there would be a Romulan crewman (Science Officer, and put Commander Decker at Navigation?), responsible for some of the tech that is incorporated into the Enterprise II? If Hammill is Marcus, then perhaps Hamlin could be the Romulan?

Alternately cut Scotty from the cast and make Decker the Science Officer and First Officer, Adams as CMO, the Romulan as Chief Engineer with a second female alien at Navigation - with Uhura, Sulu and Kirk returning.

Also how scheduling might run ...

10th September : Episode 1
17th September : Episode 2
24th September : Episode 3
1st October : Episode 4

8th October : No New Episode due to rolling coverage of the delivery of Jamestown Base to the moon by Apollo 20 scheduled for the 12th

15th October : Episode 5
22nd October : Episode 6
29th October : Episode 7

Speaking of, should I create it's own thread?

Last edited: