For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Ronald D. Moore is back, This time for Apple new Streaming TV service

and he bring Space Race and Alternate History Together in "For All Mankind"
or What If the Soviet landed on Moon... First ?

Just getting this off my chest. Streaming services can go kiss my ass. I'm not buying yet another service just to watch one show that I'd like to watch.

Now, that's out of the way....

This is a intriguing premise, but it better not be some soapy drama on Earth. I hope we get to spend time in space with these astronauts.

(Also, I do NOT want aliens or any overly sci-fi stuff in this show. They're pushing plausibility enough with the Soviets being the first on the Moon)

Neat!

...one small jump for Ivan, and then the space race that we deserve as a people, as a nation!

And in the meantime,

"Who's on the moon first?
Who? Who who who?"
download (36).jpeg

View attachment 464852 View attachment 464853 View attachment 464848
Just getting this off my chest. Streaming services can go kiss my ass. I'm not buying yet another service just to watch one show that I'd like to watch.

Now, that's out of the way....

This is a intriguing premise, but it better not be some soapy drama on Earth. I hope we get to spend time in space with these astronauts.

(Also, I do NOT want aliens or any overly sci-fi stuff in this show. They're pushing plausibility enough with the Soviets being the first on the Moon)

Apollo era fictional Female Astronaut team ("Nixon's women" according to the episode guide), so what's not to like!

So who will be the First American Woman in Space and the First Woman on the Moon?

Looking at the main characters in the cast list, the main contenders seem to be Tracy Stevens, wife of astronaut Gordo Stevens (they look likely to be based on the real life Gordon and Trudi Cooper) and Ellen Waverly.

FAM6.jpg
FAM3 (4).jpg
FAM7.png

Last edited:
I admit: I am intrigued.

Especially if Ron Moore is running it.

It seems that the success of The Man in the High Castle has made alternate history more bankable, at least for streaming TV.

Last edited:
Well they did the Great Martian War.
Actually, it's not a US History production like "Ancient Aliens" or "finding Hitler" and that Fake doku about Maya pyramid on Robinson Crusoe Island
but British/Canadian production for European section of History channel, henge the better quality !

Actually, it's not a US History production like "Ancient Aliens" or "finding Hitler" and that Fake doku about Maya pyramid on Robinson Crusoe Island
but British/Canadian production for European section of History channel, henge the better quality !
Huh well that would explain why I can't find anywhere outside of a few parts of YouTube.

I really hate to make any serious judgment on a show off a trailer, but I have to say, the women-in-space subplot feels awfully forced. As in, it's saying a lot more about who we are in 2019 than it is about who we were in 1969 (or any plausible alt-1969 timeline for Apollo).

Even allowing for the cultural revolution getting underway at the time, penetrating women into a de facto military program like Apollo was at that time would have been a massive, massive ask. The non-military male astronaut selectees faced ferocious resistance as it was.

Scott Manley is curious just what this brief shot in the trailer was supposed to be, and I'm curious, too. Two Apollo CSMs in high earth orbit rendezvous, one still attached to its SIV-B, and at least one astronaut spacewalking between them. But why?

No one seems to have figured out an answer yet.

EFjBDstXYAI2TfN

At any rate, apparently they've let slip what the Point of Departure is for this alt-history series:

Keeping all this somewhat grounded (ha!) are former Apollo flight director Gerry Griffin and former NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman, two of the series’ NASA technical advisors. Griffin, Reisman (who actually made a cameo appearance in the series finale of Battlestar Galactica), and Moore spoke to SYFY WIRE and others on a conference call, giving plenty of details about the series — like how it originated, how it fits in with its peers, and what space exploration fans can expect.

The show came about because of a conversation Moore had with Reisman over lunch, as Moore was searching for a way for the space race to continue beyond Apollo 17. Reisman told Moore, “You don’t realize how close the Russians came to getting to the moon.” Looking for the catalyst that kicked off the “butterfly effect” resulting in America beating the Soviet Union to the moon, the pair decided that the 1966 death of Sergei Korolev (Chief Designer of the Soviet space program) was the beginning of the end.

To that end, their “deeper premise” is that Korolev lived through the botched surgery that killed him in real life. This accelerated the Soviet program and gave them the boost necessary to overtake the U.S. — not just in the realm of space exploration, but in global cultural dominance. Moore explained that the show will collect some of the sociopolitical ramifications of the event outside the walls of NASA, like how the Nixon administration reacts. A scene involving a character returning from Europe encapsulates this script-flip with her tales of children wearing hammer-and-sickle t-shirts.

Putting this all in context with other high-profile alt-history fictionm— like The Man in the High Castle, which was one of Amazon Prime’s first original series — For All Mankind stands out because it “starts at the beginning.” Moore explained that usually this subgenre “throws you into this existing world,” while For All Mankind will show the moment of deviation from real history. It’s also “aspirational” rather than “dark and dystopian,” which much alt-history leans towards. For All Mankind goes optimistic, showing how the world could’ve been improved if the space race had gone differently. Calling the series a kind of “Mad Men set at NASA,” Moore explained the show was very much about the ambitious characters in and around the space program that actually got a chance to put their big plans in action.​

Theres' been much debate over whether even Korolev could have salvaged the Soviet lunar program to beat the Americans, since they were effectively already behind by the time he died. But certainly his death wiped out what little chance they had. I suppose it's at least an arguably plausible POD for something like this.

Scott Manley is curious just what this brief shot in the trailer was supposed to be, and I'm curious, too. Two Apollo CSMs in high earth orbit rendezvous, one still attached to its SIV-B, and at least one astronaut spacewalking between them. But why?

No one seems to have figured out an answer yet.

neither do i
There were Study that in case the Saturn V was unsafe to Launch humans (do POGO or other dangers)
They would launch the S-IVB/LM/CSM unmanned into Low orbit follow by manned CSM on Saturn IB then Rendezvous and crew transferee

but looking on footage it's around 2000 km high over The Horn of Africa, much to high for that plan who went for 185 km parking orbit.
Let see what Episode is all about

On Trailer best scene:
-Nixon wants we put a Woman on Moon !
-Has anybody tell the President, we don't have any female astronauts ?

Last edited:
A speculation on My part how Soviet Won the Moon Race in TV series.

Korolev survived long enough to made the Modification on L3-Complex architecture.
Instead to design the N1 to death, like Mishin has done after Korolev died.
Korolev goes for Earth orbit rendezvous with Two N1 (the original version with 24 engines and no supercooled propellants)
First N1 bring the L3-Complex in Orbit, follow second N1 with Lunar Trajectory injection Stage (LTI).
They dock and LTI stage bring L3-complex to Lunar orbit.

This mission architecture has several advantages.
by exchange the LTI Propellants from KeroLox to HydroLox could double the Payload mass to Moon like for L3M Complex
That little outpost with 3 cosmonauts for 90 days stay on Moon.
note that NASA talk about Lunar base in first Trailer