For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

I wonder how Ellen’s spin doctors are working the reveal?

Given all the changes ITTL I wonder if Ellen is a one-term President or can retain support for the nomination again?

What exactly is people's objection to the DPRK -- to use a word I saw earlier that fit perfectly -- yeeting someone into space so they can say they won without any real intention of bringing them home? It does not seem entirely OOC for me. Is it that we don't think DPRK would actually have the resources to be able to do that?

I am very interested in where the Margo subplot is going, and I thought this was a great episode for the Ellen subplot. I was really caught off guard by her coming out. When she first approached the podium, I thought she was just going to say she was vetoing the NASA bill. Then, when she first started, I thought back to her scene in the White House the night before when she stared at Nixon. I thought, Oh, she's resigning... and then once she got going and it was clear what she was about to say, I was engrossed.

I liked the whole scene earlier, too, where she wavers on the idea of being Nixonian but pulls back. In a show where her White House was the focus and that concept could get a whole episode, I think it'd be really interesting, but I recognize in a show with 10 episodes a season where she's only a subplot, they have to keep the conversation short, even if the "Well, I could go full Nixon" "No, you can't" "Okay you're right, I can't" felt a little rushed.

We'll see what happens, but I wonder if they're setting us up for either President Gephardt as they've decided to cast him as an actual actor (though have they explicitly said this? They refer to the Speaker as "Dick" and I think there's a resemblance so I just sort of assumed), or if they'll go back to the old way of having real-life politicians get brought in. As someone mentioned, Lieberman has gotten some talk this season. But I wonder if they're not setting us up for a sort of populist revolt a la Ross Perot...

It's so sad that so much effort was spent on something so monumentally stupid. With a single stroke of their pen they have invalidated the premise of the entire season. It succeeds both in destroying any rewatch value Season 3 has but it also messes up with the characters and the wider world of the show as a whole. Every character's and every organisation's intelligence is immediately brought into question. Neither NASA nor Roskosmos tracked this vessel on any of its stages nor did they kept a close eye on it while they were out there, things that you would expect to be routine on a voyage to Mars, on which they were also embarking on. They just took North Korea at its word. No character, all of them trained astronauts and cosmonauts didn't think it odd that a North Korean thing was also on its way there, maybe take a second look, you know. Makes you wanna join the protesters outside JSC and "defund NASA".

In short, to paraphrase another great showrunner "Everybody kind of forgotten the DPRK and their probe"
A manned mission to Mars under strict radio silence, other than telemetry, is insane. But this is North Korea we're talking about. I think the show has done far worse things (ie, the debris hitting the orbiting hotel in the first episode).

Ellen and Larry's marriage is a loving, caring, loyal and honest one, and they are both willing to take a metaphorical bullet for each other. A wonderful marriage, really, expect for the little detail of not being romantically in love with one another :p

Any future president can easily undo Ellen's executive order.
But I guess it would depend on the possible backlash.

Last edited:
That was most crazy twist of TV History
North Koreans on MAARRRRRSSSSS

There proposals on One man Mission to Moon and later return of astronaut month/years later
I have no idea if this here is such mission or crazy suicide Mission (by the way why has NKorea nothing say about this ?)
final Episode will be Tragic: Popeye can only carry limit of person to Phoenix
and one of them is Korean with a Gun...

It's so sad that so much effort was spent on something so monumentally stupid. With a single stroke of their pen they have invalidated the premise of the entire season. It succeeds both in destroying any rewatch value Season 3 has but it also messes up with the characters and the wider world of the show as a whole. Every character's and every organisation's intelligence is immediately brought into question. Neither NASA nor Roskosmos tracked this vessel on any of its stages nor did they kept a close eye on it while they were out there, things that you would expect to be routine on a voyage to Mars, on which they were also embarking on. They just took North Korea at its word. No character, all of them trained astronauts and cosmonauts didn't think it odd that a North Korean thing was also on its way there, maybe take a second look, you know. Makes you wanna join the protesters outside JSC and "defund NASA".

In short, to paraphrase another great showrunner "Everybody kind of forgotten the DPRK and their probe"
I'm still giving the Season a chance and waiting to see if Episode 10 can justify why North Korea was able to win the race to Mars, that episode is going to be 80 minutes long so we will likely be seeing the journey and struggles of the North Korean astronaut.

As for the Korean probe, its common to see probes sent to Mars in the timeline, it is noted that it was mainly the pentagon and not NASA that reported on the probe. The North Koreans have already sent probes to Mars and even successfully landed one on the Martian planet before so another probe going to Mars weeks ahead of the maned missions would be seen as a routine event and not be considered unusual in the 1994 Mars launch window. But yeah they should've known that something was off here.

Any future president can easily undo Ellen's executive order.
But I guess it would depend on the possible backlash.
If north korea won the space race on mars and margo a spy is discovered it will tarnish the ellen presidency. Preventing the things she wanted to do, regarding lgbt rights.
maybe the next season will be a contest between the lesser space powers. Iran, Japan, Brazil, Israel, Europe, China, India and other powers. With the usa waking up from the anti nasa hangover and realizing that it is behind all these countries. Having to run and try to overcome them for reason X (that would be the focus of the season). With those countries maybe doing coalitions and other things to keep the lead. A form of a space BRICS maybe?

1659826951191.png

A curious thing is that the Soviets were not more hostile to homosexuality. From what I remember, homosexuality was seen as a form of pedophilia by the USSR. The cosmonauts celebrate the medal to their fellow astronaut. Is this ussr more socially liberal?

The first Khrushchev-era sex education manual to mention homosexuality was The Youth Becomes a Man (1960) and described homosexuals as child molesters: "...homosexuals are aroused by and satisfy themselves with adolescents and youngsters, even though the latter have a normal interest towards girls. Homosexuals go all out to gain the affection of the youngsters' society; they buy sweets and cigarettes for youngsters, tickets to the cinema, give them money, help to do home assignments and generally pretend that they unselfishly love youngsters. However, after such preparation, they sooner or later proceed to act. Do not let them touch you! Do not be shy about reporting them to your parents or educators, do not hesitate to report such attempts aimed at you or other young men! Both parents and educators will willingly help: homosexuality is a punishable crime, homosexuals are perfectly aware of that: that is why it is not difficult to get rid of them
source :wiki

Well, those particular Soviets have been around the gay astronaut for months now, so that's bound to change their personal perceptions. Also, I don't know about the USSR, but within the communist bloc, East Germany decriminalized homosexuality before West Germany.

Well, those particular Soviets have been around the gay astronaut for months now, so that's bound to change their personal perceptions. Also, I don't know about the USSR, but within the communist bloc, East Germany decriminalized homosexuality before West Germany.
maybe it was something more unique to the ussr itself? none of the Soviet leaders were even lgbt tolerant.
Or maybe something that was focused more on Slav communist countries?

North Korea landed a man on Mars.
Thomas Paine was going to South Korea.
China is said to have a Moon base.
India is said to have a space station.
There were ESA astronauts on Skylab and Jamestown Base.

But Japan does not get any mention at all (other than the above chart). Oh yeah, and there's some stock footage of a Mu rocket in that same 1986 news report.

In OTL, Japan was the first non-superpower entity to launch a Moon probe (Hiten in 1990) and an attempted Mars probe (Nozomi in 1998, but it failed to achieve orbit).
Japanese astronauts were also part of the Space Shuttle program in the 1990s (along with a journalist who launched on Soyuz), and there was a mini-shuttle (HOPE) in development until it got cancelled.

So why does Japan barely get a role in this space-wank timeline?

Last edited:

but Japan does not get any mention at all (other than the above chart). In OTL, Japan was the first non-superpower country to launch a Moon probe (Hiten in 1990) and an attempted Mars probe (Nozomi in 1998, but it failed to achieve orbit).
Hmm... I wonder if anti-Japanese sentiment came about like it did in our 1980s?

But Why would Japan not have private space companies or subsidiaries?

And no sign of Japan's economic bubble bursting. A thriving Japan with problems but still no Plaza Accords mentioned, and if there was a turndown without the plaza accords it would be much less severe.

The bubble economy

So why not have Japan be the sleeping dragon?

This is how Japan could be in private space as they may go for a prize no one has dreamed of yet, meteors.

Hmm... I wonder if anti-Japanese sentiment came about like it did in our 1980s?

So why not have Japan be the sleeping dragon?
that would be interesting. Instead of China being the factor that would dispute the world order. It is Japan that wants to transform this order. It has good relations with most non-Asian countries.

that would be interesting. Instead of China being the factor that would dispute the world order. It is Japan that wants to transform this order. It has good relations with most non-Asian countries.
Also then Moore can use cyberpunk references in the series more if he wishes.

There were ESA astronauts on Skylab and Jamestown Base.

But Japan does not get any mention at all (other than the above chart).

In OTL, Japan was the first non-superpower entity to launch a Moon probe (Hiten in 1990) and an attempted Mars probe (Nozomi in 1998, but it failed to achieve orbit).
Japanese astronauts were also part of the Space Shuttle program in the 1990s (along with a journalist who launched on Soyuz), and there was a mini-shuttle (HOPE) in development until it got cancelled.

So why does Japan barely get a role in this space-wank timeline?
Unlike China's absence, we can be reasonably sure it's not an AppleTV decision. After all, there's a major Japanese component to Invasion.

Though about Paine, it's reasonable to surmise that his trip to Seoul would've featured a huge Japanese presence, almost certainly greater than South Korea's.

Unlike China's absence, we can be reasonably sure it's not an AppleTV decision. After all, there's a major Japanese component to Invasion.

Though about Paine, it's reasonable to surmise that his trip to Seoul would've featured a huge Japanese presence, almost certainly greater than South Korea's.
Also there is this 1962 article from Time

Japan has a big sector of corporate spies. I mean Helios what security did it have? Could some Japanese guys on quad bikes recorded the methane rocket tests?

Could some spies have been sent aboard Polaris before it was converted or during conversion?

Now Japan's political problems is corruption

Then there is the yakuza who were tied to both the political and business worlds. The political connections, they helped fund the LDP's founding and several gangsters were close to political figures of the latter 20th century while in prison awaiting war crimes we let them go. On business, the yakuza was often used as muscle, you need to evict people but cops won't do it? Yakuza.

There is the other political problem, factions. Where you get factions that at one time had over 120 members of the House of Representatives and 60 members of the House of Councilors. But often Factions led to infighting. in 1980 PM Ohira would die from exhaustion and some claim shock when 60 members of his own party abstained in a no confidence vote, leading to its success.

And will some of the juicy scandals of the 1980s and early 1990s come out in Japan? Not sure

Like an asteroid mining project that's a giant version of Hayabusa?
Exactly!

And also the with Japanese love of cleanliness have Helios and a Japanese firm focus on space junk?

Have JAL space hotels serviced by JAL space planes made by Mitsubishi and Helios have Karen chatting with the PM of Japan in Tokyo