For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

They have to filter that extensively anyway before consuming it. In fact, distillation is probably how they mine it anyway. So contamination isn’t really a huge concern, I would think.
Good point since since its hardly pure glacier ice and the melt is probably contaminated with entrained lunar dusts.

Yeah, you can't overlook the fact that we would need that for life on the Moon. The Moon isn't Mars it has no atmosphere. So if you're going to make a living on the Moon you need a way to make O2 and the ice allows you to do that plus make fuel for later Mars missions.
While your point is true I simply don't see how the failure of the Jamestown reactor - (even with its "secret" additional core is probably pretty small) - would pose the threat that is being suggested to veins of ice many many 10s of meters underground in volcanic vent systems. The failure of the reactor would pose a pretty localized issue for the Jamestown complex. Not both Jamestown and Zvezda.

Was it ever established why the americans wanted to make weapons-grade nuclear material on the moon? Was it just a case of having them there to threaten the soviets with?
Its a poor plot device.

By the 1980s - Pu stocks in the US already produced for the arsenal - was measured in the tons. Similarly, for the Soviet Union. Additional - off world - production was just not needed. And, would have presented too many additional issues (headaches) for the US in that the Pu production requires special handling and knowledge at the source of production (people). Take a look at the footprint of the size of the original production reactors at Hanford WA and read about the process for handling the irradiated materials and you get some clue as to how nonsensical the idea is.

And, then, after doing that irradiation on the frickin' moon, you now have to get this toxic and intensely radioactive material as heavily shielded cargo back to Earth and US territory safely to be made into weapons pits. Why would you do that?

Yeah, you can't overlook the fact that we would need that for life on the Moon. The Moon isn't Mars it has no atmosphere. So if you're going to make a living on the Moon you need a way to make O2 and the ice allows you to do that plus make fuel for later Mars missions.

You actually don't need ice on the Moon with good enough water reclaimers. You can get by with hydrogen tanks and reacting that with the abundant supplies of lunar oxygen. In Artemis by Andy Weir there's an insane overabundance of oxygen due to smelting of aluminum from surface ores on the Moon. Jamestown is already trying to mine lithium, and that's much more involved than smelting basic ores.

Once you get to the moon you can use LUNOX Aluminum/Oxygen fuels. Regolith is 45% O2.

FYI there are several OTL history books about this point in time available
ah15.jpg
ah16.jpg
ah17.jpg
ah18.jpg
ah19.jpg

How the hell they avoid nuclear conflict amazes me
I think MAD -Mutually Assured Destruction is really the only thing that accounts for it. You had people on both sides who were itching to set it off and the only thing that gave them pause was the knowledge that their side would be as totaled as the other side.Of course there were some who probably didnt care about that.We should all be very glad they werent calling the shots.

I think MAD -Mutually Assured Destruction is really the only thing that accounts for it. You had people on both sides who were itching to set it off and the only thing that gave them pause was the knowledge that their side would be as totaled as the other side.Of course there were some who probably didnt care about that.We should all be very glad they werent calling the shots.
I mean in For All Mankind TL you have Americans murdering a Soviet Cosmonauta and Soviets killing American Astronauts. At that point, there is little reason for either to turn off the war. The military would have essentially been telling the leaders that war was the only option. And the Russians also have the Defense Minister and the Chief of General Staff have a Cheget. (Russian football)

The diplomatic avenues would have been blocked.

EDIT

Honestly, Reagan would be on this and not Air Force One

Last edited:
Honestly, Reagan would be on this and not Air Force One

Any Air Force plane the president boards automatically becomes Air Force One but it’s also possible that the newsreader reporting Reagan’s trip to the USSR (and the shows writers too) didn’t know the difference and assumed said aircraft in a similar colour scheme was the standard Air Force One we all think about.

Last edited: