For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

MaxGerke01

Banned
That’s a solid call. Telecom is more robust in this era, so an earlier 4th network seems reasonable on that end. And we know IOTL that Paramount was considering it. Maybe not pulling properties (everyone produced for each other and bought from independents more readily in this era) but more money and ideas are swimming around, we know the floodgate of 80s cartoons opened early, there’s no shortage of news anchors, there’s plenty of creative juice for a 4th, it’s reasonable to say.

Then the question becomes, do we have room for a 5th network (Fox) or is Rupert Murdoch left out in the cold?
In my personal headcannon and also I hope that it will be backed up by the shows timeline is that the forces that allowed FOX NEWS to become so prominent in American society are just not as prominent themselves and perhaps its butterlied away or doesnt really take off.That said I wouldnt want to lose gems like The Simpsons. In Living Color,Married With Children and many others like Alien Nation. So hopefully there is still a FOX TV in some form but maybe they get picked up by another network ? It would probably have to be the latter because its hard to imagine someone like Rupert Murdoch not doing news if the tv network was successsful...

Thomas Paine was going to South Korea to talk about forming an "East Asian Space Alliance." I get that this is an excuse to put him on KAL 007, but Korea didn't have a space agency (KARI) until 1989 and no orbital rockets until 2009 (in OTL). While NASDA already had rockets (based on licensed Deltas) and astronauts being trained in the 80s, but Japan's space program wasn't even mentioned.
I wonder if a Japanese astronaut will be part of the 1995 Mars mission, like there were Japanese astronauts on Space Shuttle missions in OTL's 1990s.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
I wonder if a Japanese astronaut will be part of the 1995 Mars mission.
Probably as well as ESA of course. But the 900 pound gorilla in the room is what about the Soviets ? Do they get there to ? First or Second ? Alone or with the NASA mission ? Or even only them -I know not likely but you never know....

MaxGerke01

Banned
Also whoever came up with that last shot really earned their pay for the week. A masterful shot that acts as cliff hanger plus time jump to set up the next season and gives fans like us lots to chew on until we get definite answers...

I get the objections about the "soap opera" aspects of the show, but for me it is somewhat tolerable to go through that to get to the geopolitical/space/tech-related worldbuilding and drama. And it sometimes adds more emotional impact, like with Gordo and Tracy.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
I get the objections about the "soap opera" aspects of the show, but for me it is somewhat tolerable to go through that to get to the geopolitical/space/tech-related worldbuilding and drama.
Star Trek, Outlander,BSG 2003 and most genres shows all have a certain degree of this. Its the way they sell the show as being able to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Its a hook -they come for the suds and the stay for the rest.Hard to believe that happens real often but whatever works...

MaxGerke01

Banned
So im thinking circa 1995 Apollo 24 is a big hit . Who stars as who ? Also what name do you think sticks for the events in the last 2 episodes of season 2 ? The Jamestown Incident ? The Moon/Lunar Missle Crisis ,Moonageddon, Moonpocalypse or what ?

Last edited:
In my personal headcannon and also I hope that it will be backed up by the shows timeline is that the forces that allowed FOX NEWS to become so prominent in American society are just not as prominent themselves and perhaps its butterlied away or doesnt really take off.That said I wouldnt want to lose gems like The Simpsons. In Living Color,Married With Children and many others like Alien Nation. So hopefully there is still a FOX TV in some form but maybe they get picked up by another network ? It would probably have to be the latter because its hard to imagine someone like Rupert Murdoch not doing news if the tv network was successsful...
Murdoch’s more at home in, er, “news” production; it was running a network that was the departure for him IOTL. All his Australian and British tabloids are likely still around. The question is to what extent can he break into the US market, and does he even resemble the Murdoch of OTL if he does?

It really feels like conservative politics in this world are going to have to shift. The GOP is tied to big government, likely higher taxation, more acceptance of multi-culturalism and women’s rights, even immigration to an extent, and an open mind on energy policy. The institutions that fought for conservative causes have been pretty universally sidelined, with the major exception of the national defense establishment.

Murdoch might push red meat to sell papers and get viewers, but he only pushes what people are buying. ITTL, the audience is just going to have different tastes. A conservative ITTL wants to hear about how great the military is, how strong the economy, and how much we’re kicking ass in every field we engage in, whether it’s computers or space or entertainment. Just a big ol arrogant, “What Can I Say Except ‘You’re Welcome’” kinda ideology.

What’s changed is that the fear that is such a big component of Murdoch’s branding is likely directed entirely across the Iron Curtain, rather than at domestic “threats.” But even then, I think readers (or viewers, if it comes to that) will have less fear overall to drive their politics and media consumption.

So im thinking circa 1995 Apollo 24 is a big hit . Who stars as who ? Also what name do you think sticks for the events in the last 2 episodes of season 2 ? The Jamestown Incident ? The Moon/Lunar Missle Crisis ,Moonageddon, Moonpocalypse or what ?

Duke Slayton ... Ed Harris
Ellen Waverley ... Helen Hunt
Ed Baldwin ... Bill Paxton
Molly Cobb ... Linda Hamilton
Tracey Stevens ... Nicole Kidman

So im thinking circa 1995 Apollo 24 is a big hit . Wko stars as who ? Also what name do you think sticks for the events in the last 2 episodes of season 2 ? The Jamestown Incident ? The Moon/Lunar Missle Crisis ,Moonageddon, Moonpocalypse or what ?
Jack Nicholson for Deke! Second choice: Gene Hackman.

I love Jodie Foster for Ellen, but also Madeleine Stowe looks so much like her and was relatively big at the time.

We have an embarrassingly small number of male Asian actors even doing support work in the 90s. There were more Chinese stars in Hollywood at the time. I remember seeing BD Wong in some things at the time, and he’s about the right age.

Forgot about the rescue crew. @wwbgdiaslt nailed it with Linda Hamilton, right on the nose. Lol I’m profoundly uninterested in casting Tracy for some reason!

Last edited:
Arnie is probably in it somewhere? Maybe the Soviet commander?

Maybe Samuel L Jackson as General Nelson Bradford?

MaxGerke01

Banned
Arnie is probably in it somewhere? Maybe the Soviet commander?

Maybe Samuel L Jackson as General Nelson Bradford?
There would be a movie about what happened at Jamestown too but not until the late 1990s or 2000's probably...

Forest Whittaker is a better match for General Bradford but Samuel L Jackson could star as Danielle Pooles husband Clayton Poole assuming her life story was eventually told on the big screen and Angela Bassett could play Danielle.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
So is everyone aware that FAM has actually killed off three OTL people early from OTL-besides John Paul II.(24 years off his life)
One is still alive and if he had died in 1974 as depicted shaves 46 years at least off his current life
One lived iuntil 1993 but if he had died in 1974 around 19 years would have been shaved off his life
The other one I did not realize was a real person I just thought he was a composite. But he lived until 1992 so FAM killed him off about 11 years early. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_O._Paine

Would FAM have to get permission to depict their early deaths especially Gene Kranz since he is still alive or is it all covered by artistic license ?

I guess its saved several as well so its a mixed bag-

I of course fully understand this is something that AH does all the time its just usually with people who are long dead or their early deaths are more often than not in situations somewhat similar to their OTL deaths. In FAM whenever they die early they usually die violently. Not that thats unrelated but still. I wonder if it opens them up to any sort of legal liability ?

Last edited:
Would FAM have to get permission to depict their early deaths especially Gene Kranz since he is still alive or is it all covered by artistic license ?
The use of the likeness of public figures is allowed under most publicity and libel laws, but I think in most cases, it usually still gets run by the person in question or their family if they're dead just to make sure and avoid legal issues

So is everyone aware that FAM has actually killed off three OTL people early from OTL-besides John Paul II.(24 years off his life)
One is still alive and if he had died in 1974 as depicted shaves 46 years at least off his current life
One lived iuntil 1993 but if he had died in 1974 around 19 years would have been shaved off his life
The other one I did not realize was a real person I just thought he was a composite. But he lived until 1992 so FAM killed him off about 11 years early. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_O._Paine

I guess its saved several as well so its a mixed bag-

I of course fully understand this is something that AH does all the time its just usually with people who are long dead or their early deaths are more often than not in situations somewhat similar to their OTL deaths. In FAM whenever they die early they usually die violently. Not that thats unrelated but still. I wonder if it opens them up to any sort of legal liability ?

Even though these historical characters are not the main focus of the story, it's a missed opportunity that FAM doesn't mention a lot on the historical consequences of these people being dead earlier or continuing to live. Surely, something significant should be mentioned on some/future news reports. The only exception is John Lennon, whom the audience is always reminded of his continued existence as a social activist and a singer.

In addition, I wonder how many ideas from the novel, Voyage, will FAM borrow. What I mean by that is if some of the things we know about space OTL is still not known in TTL due to funding being spent specifically on interplanetary travel. (e.g. No Hubble Telescope, little info on Black Holes, no photographs on interstellar phenomena, etc.)

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Right. The early death of John Paul II would likely cause big and pretty much immediate butteflies but at this point we dont even know who replaced him, Also Anwar Sadats survival likely changes some things in the Middle East pretty substainally as well. Its great that John survived and the updates are cool but they really should have spread the wealth a little more and at least mentioned who John Paul II's sucessor was and what Sadat was up to in 1983...
Even though these historical characters are not the main focus of the story, it's a missed opportunity that FAM doesn't mention a lot on the historical consequences of these people being dead earlier or continuing to live. Surely, something significant should be mentioned on some/future news reports. The only exception is John Lennon, whom the audience is always reminded of his continued existence as a social activist and a singer.

In addition, I wonder how many ideas from the novel, Voyage, will FAM borrow. What I mean by that is if some of the things we know about space OTL is still not known in TTL due to funding being spent specifically on interplanetary travel. (e.g. No Hubble Telescope, little info on Black Holes, no photographs on interstellar phenomena, etc.)

Actually, ITTL wasn’t there an orbital observatory mentioned in late session 1? The mission to repair that broken S-IVB’s flight computer was originally supposed to service it instead. So ITTL we’ve had a Hubble-equivalent since the early 70s, which is actually an upgrade from OTL.

If you are mass producing giant rockets and a fleet of cislunar shuttles to supply a moonbase, you will have some surplus payload capacity to launch probes and telescopes with said giant rockets.

If anything the amount of orbital science platforms should be greater in this timeline.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Perhaps a probe or much closer observation is made of Halleys Comet in 1986 ?

Also isnt there a chance that the Mars mission is enroute when this happens in 1994?

There is another chance for a cometary probe in 1997...