For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

I’m pretty confused by the subplot involving the immigrant family. As one review mentioned said, it feels tacked on. If you’re not going to develop it, leave it out. The episodes are 5 minutes too long anyway.
The girl is surely going to be involved in whatever happens during the next generation, either as an astronaut, engineer, designer of nuclear pulse propulsion ships or something.

Also, that's a very Kerbal way to do a Moon landing

If anyone is interested, I found a newborn Discord Server about the series. If anyone is interested in joining and maybe contribute to the server, I can post here the Discord linkl (If that is allowed)

The girl is surely going to be involved in whatever happens during the next generation, either as an astronaut, engineer, designer of nuclear pulse propulsion ships or something.

that’s pretty much how I read the development of that bit of the show. And with season 2 already filming who knows what they might do with it.

that’s pretty much how I read the development of that bit of the show. And with season 2 already filming who knows what they might do with it.

IIRC Moore’s got the thing plotted and outlined for many seasons already. So yeah, I think she’ll be working on some important propulsion tech.

Episode 5 running commentary:

My prediction is confirmed: Baldwin makes a call to change a mission plan mid-flight. Not sure how realistic that actually is--but presumably NASA has laxer operational safety standards after getting beaten to the Moon and after Apollo 11 showed just how durable their hardware is.

Wayne's chill. I like him. He's more genuine than the astronaut wives, IMO. Makes sense, given that he doesn't come from that weird officer-wife social hierarchy. Downside for him is that he doesn't know the subtle social rules of the astronaut wife club--including "don't mention augering in."

LM callsign: Seahawk. Neat. The CSM callsign (Endeavour) is unchanged from OTL.

"Houston, Shackleton Base. Seahawk has landed." WOOO!

Poole on Apollo 18 and Tracy on Apollo 25--though that's a satellite repair mission, so it looks like the pace of missions will be cranking up. Weird note on crew rotation--since Ellen was on the backup crew for 15, she should be assigned to 18. But assigning two rookies to a moon landing is unlikely, so where's she gone to?

Suits look authentic--perhaps too much so, since they lack the inflated look they'd have on the actual Moon. They sag too much.

Nice modification of the Nixon call--and I like Molly's crack about stiff drinks. That's ballsy!

you know you're too much of a nerd when you recognize Apollo 16 stock footage.

"You a Louie Armstrong fan, Daniel?" Is that racist? If it is, it's the 'benign" sort.

Shit, Karen's acting like she's never seen an artist before. At the same time, Wayne, heroin is also a natural herb. Otherwise, yeah, he's still the good guy here. Piss off, Karen.

Neat new astronaut tool--lights. Wonder how they're powered--batteries would be really honking heavy. Maybe a cranked flashlight?

Well this is an interesting scene, subverts our expectations by having the Vietnam vet talk about it as a savage joy--not unlike Ernst Junger's "Storm of Steel"--aaaand this asshole asks about My Lai. Yeah, asshole, you know he wasn't there. Now fuck off. Ooh, groundpounder vs wingwiper--fight fight fight!!! Good on Danielle for defusing that situation, but her commander really did need his nose broken for that.

Was "bitching" even slang in 1971?

"Here's to selfish pricks. Because we move the ball forward for all mankind." I love Molly's philosophy. I get the strangest impression she reads Ayn Rand, though.

What are they using for cable?

Molly makes a good point on her weight, but the weight of the suit makes a dent in the difference.

The show lampshades the lack of caution.

Wayne remains delightfully socially awkward.

Molly's camera has to be transmitting signals through her umbilical cable--otherwise they wouldn't get video on Earth without line-of-sight contact.

I think Mission Control should be a bit more crowded and with more reporters in the gallery.

Well done, Molly! She found ice! AND a lava tube! Two-for-one!

Suits should be a bit dirtier at the end of the episode.

Jamestown Base in 1973! WOO! Apollo 21 as the expected first crew--presumably Apollos 16-20 scouted other points of interest around Shackleton. Moonlab--as I thought, four LM descent engines. The main body is a cylinder--6.6 m in diameter, with an airlock sticking out one side. Definitely not enough propellant to do its own entire deorbit burn, so I'm going to assume that there was a drop tank on the way down. Unmanned landing, remote guidance--possibly controlled from LLO by an astronaut in a CM?

Best episode yet! Excitement, adventure, and well-handled social commentary! And Molly's character is very well-rounded.

One thing I look forward to seeing the show handle is the racial element. In fact, it's kind of curious how understated it's been so far. "For All Mankind" evidently is supposed to be a multi-layered title, with the main focus being women in the space program. But Danielle Poole is also, obviously, a black woman--and since she went to the Moon on Apollo 18, the show actually seems to take a time jump over the milestone of first black American on the Moon. IOTL, the first person of black descent in space was a Cuban cosmonaut launched in the Interkosmos program. Is there a lunar Interkosmos going on ITTL? Will the Soviets put a Vietnamese citizen on the Moon?

I just caught up with the series I'm really digging it. I had a thought

if there wasnt an Apollo 13 disaster, the fault that caused it is still unkown. Can we expect an apollo 13 disaster in a latter mission? I think we are up to Apollo 21 in epusode 5 so something after.

I just caught up with the series I'm really digging it. I had a thought

if there wasnt an Apollo 13 disaster, the fault that caused it is still unkown. Can we expect an apollo 13 disaster in a latter mission? I think we are up to Apollo 21 in epusode 5 so something after.

Episode 8 is supposed to be called ‘Rupture,’ so I’m inclined to think that episode will feature a disaster.

Speaking of changes in this timeline. I wonder how much the womens lib movement will have changed. Surely it's going to be a lot harder to deny women are equal with women astronauts on the moon? That and imagine the generation of young girls inspired to go into science.

Wonder if Watergate plays out as OTL or does the ending of the War and the changed Space Race Butterfly that? Also if we're now onto a Moon Base I wonder will the US look to build support/funding with Allies by offering slots (ie like ISS cooperation?). Wonder what response the Soviet Union will have had to the results of Apollo 15 and the base?