For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

So I did some research on the 1981 Conclave in TTL.

Assuming that the papal conclave starts around May 29th, 1981, there would have been 126 Cardinals alive during that time. Only 113 would participate, because some were aged 80 years and one would die of abdominal cancer one day earlier. It would have been a total of 114 Cardinals due to one in pectore cardinal, but his identity would not be revealed until ten years later OTL.

I'd like to write down the names of the cardinals and those whom I think would be papabile, but that may be too much for the forum to handle, space-wise.

I may try later.

Last edited:
The Canadian flag is on ESA patch huh. So are they not doing missions with NASA then?

QmGpfOq.png

Edit: Ah Canada is an associate member of the ESA In real life, and is on the real ESA seal

es92McG.png

Yeah she probably doesn't want to worry them.
Is that Romania on there? That's gotta be a mistake. I guess it could be...Andorra?

And what's that next to Switzerland? Looks like the flag of St. George but it's blurry.

Even Finland's got me a mite skeptical with the Cold War in full swing. (I mentioned Ireland earlier, but I guess they joined pretty early IOTL.)

Is that Romania on there? That's gotta be a mistake. I guess it could be...Andorra?

And what's that next to Switzerland? Looks like the flag of St. George but it's blurry.

Even Finland's got me a mite skeptical with the Cold War in full swing. (I mentioned Ireland earlier, but I guess they joined pretty early IOTL.)
I think it's Belgium's flag. Clockwise, my count of the FAM ESA seal goes:

Netherlands, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland (bottom side facing "esa")

90 degree rotation of flag orientation (now right side faces "esa")

France, Germany, Ireland, Italy,

180 degree flag orientation rotation (that is, bottom side facing "esa" again)

Luxembourg, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

It's almost in perfect English-language alphabetical order--except for "Netherlands" at the front. Maybe they get to be in front because ESA headquarters is located there ITTL?
As to why Mollie took off her radiation counter, my take is that she didn't want to be distracted by seeing it turn red and maybe making her lose her nerve while out on the surface.

MaxGerke01

Banned
So I did some research on the 1981 Conclave in TTL.

Assuming that the papal conclave starts around May 29th, 1981, there would have been 116 Cardinals alive during that time. Only 114 would participate, because one was aged 80 years and another would die of abdominal cancer one day earlier. It would have been a total of 117 Cardinals due to one in pectore cardinal, but his identity would not be revealed until ten years later OTL.

I'd like to write down the names of the cardinals and those whom I think would be papabile, but that may be too much for the forum to handle, space-wise.

I may try later.
I wonder if any of them would have been a happy warrior against Communism or even come from a country dominated by the Soviet Union like John Paul did which gave him lots of street cred in Eastern Europe.Since the Soviets seem to have a firmer grip there ittl not having someone there like John Paul II only strengthens their hand. I dont think we will see them collapse in 1991 ittl..

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Personal butterfly away of the Clemson Tigers' recruiting violations in '81. My alt life college age freshman will be happier in '82.

Also the guy that did Carson's voice(I think that was a dub) sucked. Carson's voice was not that low.
On the other hand whomever did Reagan was pretty perfect...

Really enjoyed this episode esp that Alt History start- great round up and sooooo many changes.

Lennon surviving- Beatles at LiveAid?
Gordo looks really washed up.
Like the electric cars and solar power mentions
Wonder if this Reagan handles HIV better?
When is the next election in universe?

MaxGerke01

Banned
Really enjoyed this episode esp that Alt History start- great round up and sooooo many changes.

Lennon surviving- Beatles at LiveAid?
Gordo looks really washed up.
Like the electric cars and solar power mentions
Wonder if this Reagan handles HIV better?
When is the next election in universe?
Next election is about a little over one year later in November 1984. Reagan is term limited so he cant run again.His VP could- is it George HW Bush ? Probably not since Reagan was first elected in 1976 ittl and I dont think the presidential bug had bit HW that early. Its possible its Bob Dole. Democrats would have a wide open field in 1984 but Gary Hart would be a very attractive candidate for them and perhaps in a ground breaking move which likely gets more traction ittl he picks a black or female running mate ?

Hopefully they handle AIDS better-it would be hard to do it much worse...

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
No Camp David Accords but Sadat survives. With a more active Soviet Union avoiding Afrghanistan and backing the Arab states but with the US less dependant on foreigh oil I wonder what the Middle East looks like ? Does Israel still invade Lebanon ? What is Saddam up to? And Arafat ? Hopefully Osama bin Laden doesnt come to be much. Is there still an Intifada ? Hopefully with a more free hand in the region the US is able to actually broker some sort of real peace deal-a two state solution or something like it guaranteed by the UN,the US and the Soviets?

Last edited:
No Camp David Accords but Sadat survives. With a more active Soviet Union avoiding Afrghanistan and backing the Arab states but with the US less dependant on foreigh oil I wonder what the Middle East looks like ? Does Israel still invade Lebanon ? What is Saddam up to? And Arafat ? Hopefully Osama bin Laden doesnt come to be much. Is there still an Intifada ? Hopefully with a more free hand in the region the US is able to actually broker some sort of real peace deal-a two state solution or something like it guaranteed by the UN,the US and the Soviets?
With Egypt still a hostile state, i assume an invasion of libanon is to risky.

Next election is about a little over one year later in November 1984. Reagan is term limited so he cant run again.His VP could- is it George HW Bush ? Probably not since Reagan was first elected in 1976 ittl and I dont think the presidential bug had bit HW that early. Its possible its Bob Dole. Democrats would have a wide open field in 1984 but Gary Hart would be a very attractive candidate for them and perhaps in a ground breaking move which likely gets more traction ittl he picks a black or female running mate ?

Hopefully they handle AIDS better-it would be hard to do it much worse...

VP in ‘76 was Schweiker. Haven’t seen it confirmed that he’s still the VP after ‘80 If he’s running, it’ll be from the left flank of the GOP. Honestly could be interesting,

I get the impression that the culture war is just not being fought as hard. The “family values” right lost the ERA fight and maybe didn’t develop the cache of OTL. We’ve got a President very distracted with foreign policy, likely unable and unwilling to enact Reaganomics, and a culture that’s already pushed too far to the left for family values to even be a viable constituency in the form it took OTL.

I’m sure they’re still around, but the tug of war is likely further to the left than OTL.

Anyway, as interesting as Schweiker would be, I think they have to stick with people who are more well-known by the audience.

I bet you ten bucks it’s John Glenn.

MaxGerke01

Banned
VP in ‘76 was Schweiker. Haven’t seen it confirmed that he’s still the VP after ‘80 If he’s running, it’ll be from the left flank of the GOP. Honestly could be interesting,

I get the impression that the culture war is just not being fought as hard. The “family values” right lost the ERA fight and maybe didn’t develop the cache of OTL. We’ve got a President very distracted with foreign policy, likely unable and unwilling to enact Reaganomics, and a culture that’s already pushed too far to the left for family values to even be a viable constituency in the form it took OTL.

I’m sure they’re still around, but the tug of war is likely further to the left than OTL.

Anyway, as interesting as Schweiker would be, I think they have to stick with people who are more well-known by the audience.

I bet you ten bucks it’s John Glenn.
Ooops I wasnt even thinking about him but I dont want to take that bet because you are probably right....

First picture of Shuttle and Skylab
EuscuH4VEAAa39r

I wonder if those tanks in Payload are for Propellant.
for Supply for Skylab there are to big.

The spherical ones in the back look like Extended Duration Orbiter tanks—H2 and O2 for fuel cells. The cylindrical ones, hard to say—could be prop.

I did the whole Time Capsule App experience.

I thought it was good. There were definitely some more tidbits on some historical events that differ from OTL.

It was a mistake for AppleTV+ to remove those alternate news reports; they're not even on the app! :(

MaxGerke01

Banned
I did the whole Time Capsule App experience.

I thought it was good. There were definitely some more tidbits on some historical events that differ from OTL.

It was a mistake for AppleTV+ to remove those alternate news reports; they're not even on the app! :(
If they are interested in drawing in new viewers this would be a great way to do it so it doesnt make sense. Maybe there are still out there somewhere- maybe on Youtube ?

Loving season 2 so far, and the solar flare was super scary despite being rather subtle when it hit the moon. High level of radiation will do that since invisible threat.

Was it stupid to save fellow astronaut so that they are more likely to both die of radiation sickness, yes. Was it something these explorers and pioneers would do to support one another, super yes. I just hope they can get treatment and at worst a painless passing.

And of course USA and USSR since they lost their satellite coverage are gonna have their hands hovering over the big red buttons just out of fear one side will fire first.

...Oh shit, its 1983! That means that the 1983 Soviet nuclear false alarm incident is around the corner and if tension is so high... well, it might not be Stanislav Petrov cool head that is in charge of things. Especially with satellites down Soviets might assume worst first before cooler heads.

So what was the logic of Molly taking off her wrist meter? She gonna say that the other guy made it back on his own unconscious during the flare?
If she returns with a red wrist meter, she gets grounded from future missions because of all the accumulated radiation she took over the years. By removing it, she wants to fake the amount of radiation she got exposed to and get back into space again later. However, she's going to be suffering from radiation sickness at best, so she won't be able to hide it. She should be grounded upon return to Earth, or she may choose to die on the Moon