For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Enjoyed the episode, liked that it still, at its core, is an optimistic show that doesn't shy away from how dangerous space can be.

The description of Ed Baldwin being a selfish man was dead on. Dude is in space, running from his problems and I'm hoping Danielle can reign him.

How are George Bush Junior and Dick Cheney doing in this ATL? I can see them either still in politics or being involved in this new-fangled space mining business after years of working in the petroleum industry. I can also see Cheney's company Halliburton involved in lunar and Martian and deep space operations.

How are George Bush Junior and Dick Cheney doing in this ATL? I can see them either still in politics or being involved in this new-fangled space mining business after years of working in the petroleum industry. I can also see Cheney's company Halliburton involved in lunar and Martian and deep space operations.
Halliburton are mentioned in the history snippet as being big in the Moon mining business.

Enjoyed the episode, liked that it still, at its core, is an optimistic show that doesn't shy away from how dangerous space can be.

The description of Ed Baldwin being a selfish man was dead on. Dude is in space, running from his problems and I'm hoping Danielle can reign him.

I'm not sure that selfishness is really what is driving him. It did not feel like he was running away from earthbound problems; but running away from being "obsolete"

The impression I had was more about ego than selfishness.

In space Ed Baldwin is one of the bests, the very few people that are at his level can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare, while if he is grounded and driving a desk, there are hundreds, even thousands, of people that are as qualified as he is.

So he looks like someone that is desesperately holding to something that makes him feel relevant.

To me, it feels less "It's all about me", and more "Here, I'm doing something important".

Basically, he is following Kirk's advice about not accepting promotion or transfer that would get him out of the captain's chair.

I agree. Ed is simply not ready for retirement, which is surely waiting for him on Earth. On Mars he has purpose. Home he will be just another "former astronaut and living museum exhibit". Oh sure, he might be given some teaching job, but it will be mostly for show.
I just hope he will leave with the BANG - or preventing the BANG.

I'm not sure that selfishness is really what is driving him. It did not feel like he was running away from earthbound problems; but running away from being "obsolete"

The impression I had was more about ego than selfishness.

In space Ed Baldwin is one of the bests, the very few people that are at his level can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare, while if he is grounded and driving a desk, there are hundreds, even thousands, of people that are as qualified as he is.

So he looks like someone that is desesperately holding to something that makes him feel relevant.

To me, it feels less "It's all about me", and more "Here, I'm doing something important".

Basically, he is following Kirk's advice about not accepting promotion or transfer that would get him out of the captain's chair.
This could easily be Ed, speaking to himself in order to justify his selfish behavior.

Alright we got a new episode...

A good chunk of Happy Valley is underground. Logical way to do that. We also have a class divide on Happy Valley between the Astro/Cosmonauts and the Helios workers, with the Helios guys buried underground and getting a lot of their pay docked company town style. This was a minor thing in the last Episode, now it's front and center.

We have a covert bar for Helios guys.

Aleida's PTSD is pretty bad and she's not handling it well. Indeed she quits NASA. Frankly she need therapy and it's sad she's not getting it.

The failure to capture the Asteroid has screwed up the budget and science stuff is getting shelved.

Danny is frankly a top notch leader who works try to sort shit out. I like this.

The North Koreans have their own section and stick in it. Americans, Soviets, Indians, Japanese, CCCS and ESA people mix freely and even with the class divide there's no formal rules against them talking with Helios staff, but the Norks mostly stay in their special North Korean sections of Happy Valley. Lee gives a very brief route pleasantry to Danny when asked.

Shit's going down in the Soviet Union. We got the Bolshoi ballet on TV, people are afraid, the Newspaper stand gets shut down by Milityia and Margo gets arrested. I guess there might be a coup attempt, but we have zero intel on what's going on.

This is not really a spoiler but I will say that the trailers for this series new seasons are good because they misdirect. They posit another possible story or other details. Season 2's trailer posited the Soviets building weapons on the moon and having to stop them, Season 3 implied that Helios was the one that would be in trouble in the Mars Race and Season 4's trailer mostly focused on the Asteroid capture and fighting over said space rock. I want to see where this goes.

Zor

Last edited:
Another interesting episode, really seems to be setting the groundwork for what the main issues are going to be for the season I think.
I'm putting money on it right now something is going to go wrong in the North Korean part of the complex and the dilemma to enter or not to save people will be a big issue. Bonus points if it is from a Marsquake

I'd say this was a very "cosy" episode, meat and potatoes FAM stuff. Moved the plot forward at a nice pace, made me smile like a fool with all the "Look at all this space stuff that we could have had" shots of Happy Valley, we got our Hi Bod. It introduced some nice lore elements like the true extent of Happy Valley, how most of it is under the ground as I had hoped, reminding us that North Koreans are still the same unhinged society even with Space exploration, Helios starting to look like an off-brand Weyland Yutani. I am also starting to get the vibe that one of the creators alluded to about building a new civilization on Mars. You start getting that by the comments of the workers, the Apple Tree which is definitely gonna be there until the end to show how far the Mars colony is progressing, Ilya' bar which has the potential to become almost like one of the many famous rooms that historical events have taken place and the Martian Vodka. It's so thrilling, it's like I am there for the birth of a new culture. Years down the line when a character on a station in Saturn's orbit orders a "Martian Vodka" I'll have seen where and by whom it was first made.

Amazing indeed yet i wonder if Middle East had their own Space Program since they have rich Middle Eastern nations to pulled this up.
Do they? Helium 3 from the Moon would seriously diminish usage of oil. I mean the oil and coil industry workers did protest against NASA, not without reason, I believe. One of the protagonist of the season 4 is an oil drillet who had trouble with finding job on Earth, so he went to Mars. And USA refused to intervene when Iraq attacked Kuwait, which probably would not happen if the oil was so important as it is IOTL.
And that means that Middle Eastern countries are not so rich and politically important anymore. Therefore their ability to create their own space program is in doubt. Less money, and they are probably serious conflicts between them, like between Iraq and Iran.

Do they? Helium 3 from the Moon would seriously diminish usage of oil. I mean the oil and coil industry workers did protest against NASA, not without reason, I believe. One of the protagonist of the season 4 is an oil drillet who had trouble with finding job on Earth, so he went to Mars. And USA refused to intervene when Iraq attacked Kuwait, which probably would not happen if the oil was so important as it is IOTL.
And that means that Middle Eastern countries are not so rich and politically important anymore. Therefore their ability to create their own space program is in doubt. Less money, and they are probably serious conflicts between them, like between Iraq and Iran.
While I generally agree with this, the fact that Kuwait was solely done for oil is a post 9/11 popular idea that the show adopts. The Gulf War was as much about the idea of not normalising the practice of rolling into a country and annexing it just for laughs and giving the UN some teeth in a World were Superpowers fighting for influence was expected to be out of fashion. I won't dwell on this because Hart's Foreign Policy is one lobotomized moment after another.

I think one issue we will see is the lower levels people revolt and refuse work.
Unionize, strike!

Another interesting episode, really seems to be setting the groundwork for what the main issues are going to be for the season I think.
I'm putting money on it right now something is going to go wrong in the North Korean part of the complex and the dilemma to enter or not to save people will be a big issue. Bonus points if it is from a Marsquake
Clever, but feel more like something secret/nefarious going on behind those doors. Planning to seize the base or build something dangerous which threatens everybody on Mars, there was that explosion in the trailer.

Can’t wait to see what Kelly and Aleida get up to together, space you better prepare yourself! But definitely hope her PTSD doesn’t just disappear, maybe Ed could even give some advice/deal with his own stuff along with her.

That was a really good episode. I was not expecting the coup at the end, though I put it together at the last second,

BTW, does anyone think that without global warming that there is some other climate/environmental threat humanity is facing? It seems like the world has become dependent on nuclear, which while very efficient and safe, still isn’t flawless. Increased radiation on the surface could be an issue, and doesn’t it also affect the ozone layer if there is too much radiation? Im not so sure of the sciences of the ozone layer and radiation from Earth instead of the Sun.

Was thinking of checking this show out finally, is it any good?

Is the alternate history the focus or just window-dressing for a soap opera?