For a Gore Prosperous Tomorrow

My initial thought was that it would require some degree of international cooperation, as a lot of the large countries would be on-board with figuring out how to claim money hidden in tax havens, but now all I can think about is a bit from Red Mars where the United States and European Federation invade the tax havens to get their money, which is of no help at all.
I'm not well-versed in the legal wording, hence why I was asking to figure out. An event is coming that will prompt this, but I am wondering how the "official" way to go about this. A more dogmatic and ruthless leftist would be willing to use the CIA and or FBI or other forceful methods to get the funds, but Sanders is clearly not that type.

Any suggestions?

According to the Corporate Accountability and Democracy section of Bernie Sanders' official website:-
  • Eliminate the use of offshore tax havens by:
    • Applying the same tax rate on offshore and domestic income and applying a per-country limit on the foreign tax credit.
    • Eliminating inversions by limiting interest deductions to 105 percent of a corporation’s share of net interest expense over worldwide earnings, treating companies managed and controlled in the US as domestic corporations, and tightening the definition of inverted corporations to ones owned by 50 percent of the same shareholders after a merger.
    • Tightening other rules including limiting treaty shopping; reforming the base erosion and anti-abuse tax rate by lowering its threshold for application, raising its rate to 17.5 percent, and excluding deductible payments that give rise to includible US income; eliminating the tax break for foreign derived intangible income (FDII), and denying foreign tax credits for excise tax payments by oil, extractive, gambling, and other companies.
I am neither an American nor a tax lawyer, so can't really say how effective this is going to be, but given the increased wariness regarding big corporations there would be more people in favour of such a plan.

According to the Corporate Accountability and Democracy section of Bernie Sanders' official website:-
I am neither an American nor a tax lawyer, so can't really say how effective this is going to be, but given the increased wariness regarding big corporations there would be more people in favour of such a plan.
I appreciate the input though it's more if there would be anything more aggressive. Kinda why I wish more people would help with these things. Anyone know anyone who may know anyting?

I appreciate the input though it's more if there would be anything more aggressive.
I'm basing these on suggestions from the Tax Justice Network:
  1. The United States joins the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development's framework for the automatic exchange of information on financial accounts - this allows the automatic exchange of tax information between countries to verify that individuals and corporations are actually paying the correct amount of taxes, OTL the US is the largest member of the OECD that is not part of this.
  2. Mandate transparency of ownership for companies, trusts, and foundations, creating a public registry of who benefits - the UK implemented this after the Panama Papers.
  3. Require public country-by-country reporting of revenues by multinationals - to correctly distribute collected taxes.
  4. Implement federal laws which crack down on the creation of shell companies - prevented in OTL by Delaware, Nevada, Wyoming and has arguably made the United States the largest tax haven.
  5. Review trade deals - some exchange of tax information is a part of most US trade deals. The OTL US-Panama free trade agreement allowed Panama to decline from sharing financial information from shell corporations if it is "contrary to their public policy". Bernie Saunders stated in 2011 that the US-Panama free trade agreement would "effectively bar the US from cracking down on illegal and abusive offshore tax havens in Panama".
  6. Impose sanctions on tax havens. I feel this is somewhat self-explanatory and that Saunders and Corbin would approve of it.
This has been the UrbanNight - throwing ideas at the wall until something sticks.

I'm basing these on suggestions from the Tax Justice Network:
  1. The United States joins the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development's framework for the automatic exchange of information on financial accounts - this allows the automatic exchange of tax information between countries to verify that individuals and corporations are actually paying the correct amount of taxes, OTL the US is the largest member of the OECD that is not part of this.
  2. Mandate transparency of ownership for companies, trusts, and foundations, creating a public registry of who benefits - the UK implemented this after the Panama Papers.
  3. Require public country-by-country reporting of revenues by multinationals - to correctly distribute collected taxes.
  4. Implement federal laws which crack down on the creation of shell companies - prevented in OTL by Delaware, Nevada, Wyoming and has arguably made the United States the largest tax haven.
  5. Review trade deals - some exchange of tax information is a part of most US trade deals. The OTL US-Panama free trade agreement allowed Panama to decline from sharing financial information from shell corporations if it is "contrary to their public policy". Bernie Saunders stated in 2011 that the US-Panama free trade agreement would "effectively bar the US from cracking down on illegal and abusive offshore tax havens in Panama".
  6. Impose sanctions on tax havens. I feel this is somewhat self-explanatory and that Saunders and Corbin would approve of it.
This has been the UrbanNight - throwing ideas at the wall until something sticks.

1- Hmm... why don't they already do this? I do see Sanders joining this and that would work.
2- This will definitely come to the US at the minimum with what's coming.
3- That would be wise and wonder if could be elaborated.
4- US is arguably considered not a real tax haven for other reasons and not entirely sure here.
5- Hmmm ... this one will be interest and will put some pressure on Panama.
6- I have looked at the list of countermeasures and see those be implemented. But yeah, Corbyn has an uphill battle to fight at home given how there are some tax havens there though multinationals would be targeted and Sanders will definitely be stricter than Obama would be.

It'd definitely be grueling.

Last edited:
Besides dealing with the tax havens, any thoughts in regarding banks or other insitutions? I reckon Sanders would make post offices act like public banks again. I don't think the post office would get the kick to the face it got or at least in 2006 (they might over in like 2010 or 2011 though). If the bill did apss, the Sanders administration would likely undo that.

I don't know if they would try to undo this though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Reorganization_Act

Would it be a good idea? Thoughts?

Windows95

Banned
Besides dealing with the tax havens, any thoughts in regarding banks or other insitutions? I reckon Sanders would make post offices act like public banks again. I don't think the post office would get the kick to the face it got or at least in 2006 (they might over in like 2010 or 2011 though). If the bill did apss, the Sanders administration would likely undo that.

I don't know if they would try to undo this though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Reorganization_Act

Would it be a good idea? Thoughts?
There is the whole employee and cooperative ownership, allocating 15-20% of stocks of publicly traded companies to unions.

Sanders Administration- Autumn 2017
Autumn 2017

"Good riddance to such a rat..."

"Holy hell, Hurricane Irma..."

"With the Paradise Papers, it's a reminder why we elected President Sanders..."

Summer changed to fall yet despite this, plenty of action remained happening. The economic relief that came with the relieving of medical debt and concerns over payments meant people were willing to spend more on other things. This began aligning some of the more pragmatic economists and politicians to Sanders' side, especially as he noted that by doing the same with student debt. Of course, while this was happening, various other factors and events were moving in the world. Late in the fall, the International Court of Justice would find Ratko Mladić, a Bosnian Serb former military commander and convicted war criminal who led the Army of Republika Srpska (VRS) during the Yugoslav Wars, guilty of genocide committed in Srebrenica during the 1990s Bosnian War. It would be viewed as the worst atrocity in Europe since World War II. He would be sentenced to life in prison. Sanders' response applauded the justice done along with the need to ensure such atrocities do not happen again. Many people, especially young people, would be learning more about the horrors of the Yugoslavic wars and it would reach the zeitgeist for a while, reminding people that the 90s were also a decade of transition and filled with its own strifes. However, Sanders would then segway into a surprising move in which he would call out for the genocide the Ottoman Empire carried out on the Armenians and other minorities, such as the Assyrians. This would cause a growing wedge between the Sanders and Erdogan administrations and signalling how much was changing.

463px-Mladi%C4%87_Trial_Judgement_%28crop%29.jpg

Ratko Mladić, former commander of the Bosnian Serb Army, at his trial judgement at the ICTY.

Of course, back in the United States, other trials awaited Bernie Sanders and that was dealing with Hurricane Irma. An extremely powerful Cape Verde hurricane that caused widespread destruction across its path in September 2017. Irma was the first Category 5 hurricane to strike the Leeward Islands on record and at the time, it was considered as the most powerful hurricane on record in the open Atlantic region, outside of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico. While it was predicted and the news sent out thanks to the groundwork laid by the Gore administration, it was still a colossal load of damage done to the Caribbean and the US states. Unsurprisingly, the Sanders administration began working for billions of dollars done just for Hurricane Irma, with Sanders working to try and get at least 50 billion dollars for the preparations done although more would be needed. Furthermore, he called upon the American public to assistance with the aftermath of the colossal storm. However, nowhere else was this seen more than using the storm as an opportunity to open relations back with Cuba. While a somewhat controversial move, Sanders' response was in regards to the unity of humanity along with collaboration. The next several months would see the Sanders administration and assistance working across with various nations in the Caribbean to help rebuild after Hurricane Irma, most notably Cuba, Puerto Rico and both nations on Hispanola. Out of all of them, Puerto Rico perhaps became the most notable if in part due to the upcoming elections for Puerto Rico statehood. THe referendum was scheduled in the summer, but postponed for next spring. Meanwhile, Cuba began cautiously resuming agreements with the United states and thus began the "Cuban Thaw", though some noted back when President McCain removed Cuba from the State sponsored terroism list back in 2015 around the end of the Chavisism in Venezuela, noting that it wasn't really accurate. Ultimately, despite the disaster of Irma, it provided opportunity for people to come together and try and rebuild.

360px-Irma_2017-09-05_1706Z.jpg

Hurricane Irma approaching Leeward Islands at peak intensity

Of course, the Sanders administration still had to deal with the issues of such rapid usage of funds, even for rebuilding against the skeptical members of Congress alongside other special interest groups who were denied their potential profitable opportunities. However, the Sanders Administration would receive an extensive gift of fortune courtesy of German reporters Frederik Obermaier and Bastian Obermayer who worked for Süddeutsche Zeitung. The newspaper shared the ifnormation with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, and a network of more than 380 journalistsFollowing up on the infamous Panama Papers from just the previous year came the so-called "Paradise Papers". A further treasue trove of confidential electronic documents relating to offshore investments, it was a bitter reminder of how the super-wealthy would avoid their fairshare of taxes by hiding them and yet another reminder into the American zeitgeist over the growing suspicion and hostilty toward the extensively well-off. In fact, economist Gabriel Zucman and his colleagues estimated that 63% of foreign profits made by American multinational corporations are stored in subsidiaries and offshore accounts, depriving the country of about $70 billion in tax revenue each year. This definitely sent some larger shockwaves, given how much that tax revenue cold've helped, especially since those were low ball estimates, as in prior to the planned tax reforms of the Sanders Administration. Sanders used it to help reinforce a Damocles sword over the wavering Congress. He reminded the American public that 2018 was an electoral year. One where they could vote for the best candidates, especially in the primaries. Sanders' victory unleashed a tidal wave of young blood and growing support group of progressives and reformists, many of whom eager to unseat various establishment figures who they saw as a roadblock or threat to the change needed. Other nations responded with similar plans, especially given how past Prime Ministers of Canada were named (which Jack Layton could not help but indulge a little to help boost the NDP's popularity along with the Greens), over in Mexico to try and help with reforms. Even the United Kingdom began being caught by this infectious desire for reforms and bolstering support for the Corbyn adminsitration, especially since the papers show that the Duchy of Lancaster, a private estate of Queen Elizabeth II, held investments in two offshore financial centres, the Cayman Islands and Bermuda. Overall, the year would end with fresh fuel for the fires of reform and against the extensively well-off.
Paradise-Papers-FB-Share.jpg

International Consortium of Investigative Journalists image on Paradise papers

Will be happy to take further questions!
With the recent news of its revival under its original creators Phil Llyod and Chris Miller, I might as well ask what happens to Clone High ITTL? My best guess is it still gets canceled due to low ratings and the Gahndi Controversy like IOTL?

EDIT: Also, what happens to Phil Llyod and Chris Miller ITTL?

With the recent news of its revival under its original creators Phil Llyod and Chris Miller, I might as well ask what happens to Clone High ITTL? My best guess is it still gets canceled due to low ratings and the Gahndi Controversy like IOTL?

EDIT: Also, what happens to Phil Llyod and Chris Miller ITTL?
Most likely Clone High is made and cancelled like OTL.

Likely no reboot as the different zeitgeist means it wouldn't be as popular. Heck, Rick and Morty would probably be a bit different, South Park would be less popular and so on. Crude adult humor animation is still present, but doesn't have the same feel given the developments.

As for their film careers... hard to say. The problems going in Hollywood as a result of a domino effect from the failure of Spider-Man 3 along with the rise of MeToo may have tgem be shuffled around. Ultimately, they might not make Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. I have no idea if Jump Street would still be made, but if it did, it might not be as popular.

Lego Movie might be when they managed to cut their teeth and do well in. I do see them remaining closer to television and kinda try find somewhere to do more with. They might write for The Orville, which here would be released years earlier and likely be animated.

Does Twilight exist in this timeline? I doubt 50 Shades of Grey does.

Also what happens to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Percy Jackson ITTL?
Twilight still does and would probably still fare well. 50 Shades of Grey wouldn't exist.

Hmmm... Diary of a Wimpy Kid became popular when the webcomic got published as a novel aimed at middle schoolers at a certain site.
It's possible it would have a bigger impact because it would inspire other webcomics to follow suit or remain one and tyring to make money online.