For a Gore Prosperous Tomorrow

That’s a tough one. Economic recessions are always tough ones for presidents to deal with. The Dems would have to choose an unsuitable candidate if they’re to loose.

Well, the thing is that Recessions can be helped by restoring consumer faith. Investing in infrastructure and other projects would encourage the economy and help the flow of money. As for the debt, well, increase taxes on the rich. It's not that complicated.

It's tough because politicians usually don't like inconveniencing the rich. So the issue here is dealing with that. The people are beginning to wake up to that and with no Tea Party movement, anger is going in just one direction.

Of course, the Dems and GOP ain’t gonna cave to the will of the people. Not that bad yet.

If the recession had struck later in the presidency McCain would be fucked no question.

I can see Barack Obama running in 2016

If the recession had struck later in the presidency McCain would be fucked no question.

I can see Barack Obama running in 2016
Maybe yeah, though whether he’d be considered progressive enough is a different question as a longer Recession would push people more to the left or whatnot.

I’m thinking it would probably be Hillary Clinton vs McCain in the 2012 elections

Here's a revision idea for the Simpsons.

First off one AU change is that Krabappel and Skinner end up married. 2003 seemed to have Skinner standing up to his mom and then regressing in season 15.

The Simpsons movie comes out in 2007, and then it's made very clear that this is the final season. As such it's devoted to tying everything up. Bart and Bob finally end their feud, Ned Flanders finds happiness again, Mr Burns is finally punished for his crimes etc.

McCain Administration- Spring 2012
Spring 2012

"Good lord what is going on in Africa...?"

"Unsurprsing Putin would be the talk of NATO..."

"Guess we know who's running now..."

While the peace talks finalized over in the Middle East and the people were reflecting on the progress made over regarding Palestine and the former nations of Syria and Iraq, they also began turning their attention in foreign policy, namely in Africa. Africa has unfortunately a source of political trouble since the lurching mishandling of decolonization and remnants troubles of the Cold War. First off, there was the Brazzaville arms dump blasts; a series of explosions is reported at a munitions dump in Brazzaville, the capital of the Republic of the Congo, with at least 250 people dead from the result, raising questions on the mishandling. However, the next various incidents were not so accidental. Over in Mali, President Amadou Toumani Touré, is ousted in a coup d'état after mutinous soldiers attack government offices. The coup was done by hte military in response to what they saw as failure in handling the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad. Unsuprisingly, following it, the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad unilaterally declares the independence of Azawad from Mali. The discussions and talks were mixed and while some were open to letting the people settle it out for themselves, the fears of chaos coming about meant that there were forces willing to invest. Over in the UN, talks were held in regards to whether to recognize Azawad or not along with dealing the Islamic forces that were complicated the situation there. Looking for some needed political points, the McCain Administration considered an aggressive approach to deal with the Islamic forces before going to Mali and Azawad, especially since given the coup, there were obvious questions on the legitmacy of the current Mali government. Meanwhile, Mutinous soldiers in Guinea-Bissau stage a coup d'état and take control of the capital city, Bissau. They arrest interim President Raimundo Pereira and leading presidential candidate Carlos Gomes Júnior in the midst of a presidential election campaign and leading to more troubles there. And lastly, Former Liberian President Charles Taylor is found guilty on 11 counts of aiding and abetting war crimes and crimes against humanity during the Sierra Leone Civil War. Overall, it brought more attention to Africa and in deciding how to handle some of the conflicts going on.

Azawad_in_context.JPG

Map of Azawad, as claimed by the MNLA. Dark grey dots indicate regions with a Tuareg majority.

Meanwhile, as the world kept trying to recover from the economic recession in varying successes, elections were going on across the world. Over in Russia, the presidental elections happened which restored controversial political figure Vladimir Putin back into power. Putin was unsurprsingly a controversial figure because of his past and his antagonism with the West. However, he was voted in with a lesser majority than people predicted and the fact was that that the Recession hit Russia hard. The McCain Administration continued to uphold Gore's message on energy self-sufficiency through renewables and was applauding Prime Minister Layton's investments over in geothermal power. All of this was discussed along with nuclear weapons and the Middle East situation over in the 2012 Chicago Summit of NATO. The many heads of state were discussing dealing with the matters of international security along with more intangible factors as the political rivalry of NATO and Russia's somewhat sphere was in part growing because of the energy changes. While in the past Russia has been invited but declined, this time Russia was not invited, something which Putin noted though was countered with the answers of past rejections along with wanting to leave Putin alone to deal with the economic troubles of Russia. However, more interesting were some of the countries in attendance. While Saudi Arabia was still invited, the surprise was on the invitation of Iran into the discussions. Unsurprisingly there were also the new nations that the Coalition over in the Middle East helped form: Kurdistan (formed from Rojava of Syria and the autonomous Kurdish state of Iraq), a Shiite dominant Iraq, a new state of Assyria, and the new state of Shaam (formed from the remaining land of Syria and Sunni Iraq), the leaders being there and with the last bits being order to stablize it.

2012_Chicago_summit.jpg

Logo of the 2012 Chicago Summit

And with the passing of Spring was coming the candidates to decide who would be running for the elections of US President. Senator Barack Obama entered late and while pretty popular, his late entry meant it was difficult to gain the traction needed to really catch up. He would end up finishing second behind Hillary Clinton, who would end up winning the nomination of the election. She won riding on the success of the #MeToo movement along with promising to maintain good military presence and to return the economy. However, she did have to conflict with Barack Obama as well as independent Bernie Sanders who was pushing to deal with the banks and other financial institutions who led them to the crisis along with expanding the healthcare system for Medicare For All along with supporting LGTBQ marriage and legalizing marijuana and ending the drug war. While pretty radical, he stood out and planted the seeds for an America that was far beyond. Meanwhile, the GOP race was relatively quiet as there were little contenders to run against John McCain though McCain did note that when he finished his second term, he would support Mitt Romney. With the candidates decided, it would be moving on to be Clinton vs McCain. However, one note of concern was that former President Gore did not endorse any of the contenders in order to keep it fair, but he did not seem to want to support Clinton in her run. McCain would keep Romney as his running mate and Clinton would end up choosing Tim Kaine as her Vice President pick after rumors of her choosing Obama as running mate went on.

640px-Clinton_Kaine.svg.png

Clinton-Kaine 2012 Campaign icon

Here's a revision idea for the Simpsons.

First off one AU change is that Krabappel and Skinner end up married. 2003 seemed to have Skinner standing up to his mom and then regressing in season 15.

The Simpsons movie comes out in 2007, and then it's made very clear that this is the final season. As such it's devoted to tying everything up. Bart and Bob finally end their feud, Ned Flanders finds happiness again, Mr Burns is finally punished for his crimes etc.
Ehh, not sure if it'd change that much for Simpsons. I'm not sure what they would do with the Simpsons if they did end it, but maybe they'd probably do a sequel in a decade or something

The End of the Iraqi-Syrian War; The New Nations
The End of the Iraqi-Syrian War; The New Nations

By the Spring of 2012, discussions were finalized over the new nations and with order being mostly restored, the people were quite happy to put the war behind them and set aside for a new tomorrow. The guards would be there for a bit longer to ensure the peace going on that would be around and there would not be trouble. This is namely with the new states of Kurdistan and Assyria because of the overlap of population, which required the work of the Americans and Iranians to try and work out territory issues and have populations try and move around for it. There would be a limited amount of refugees accepted by the Americans and the Iranians in regards to it along with working out the new provisional governments that would hold elections within the year to decide the official rulers. For the most, it would be a matter of trying to establish some form of stability in the area. The Coalition ultimately wanted peace and security in the region with the only one wanting anything more was Iran and they were trying to increase their prominence. Granted, it was done for more pragmatic reasons as it would be used as leverage against conservative hardliners to continue to force reforms against them, allowing the Reformers further progress on the nation, enough so more and more leftist policies were slowly creeping into the reformers thanks to rising calls from the populace. While Iraq would be influenced heavily by Iran, Assyria would be toward the Americans with Kurdistan being dual-influenced by the Americans and Iranians and of course the new unified state of Shaam. As for capitals, Iraq's capital remains Baghdad. Kirkuk becomes the capital of Kurdistan. For Shaam, it's Damascus. And for Assyria, it would be decided as Mosul. There were still some problems, if namely with the Assyrians ansd Kurdish with one another though the Kurds were in little position to make demands. Soldiers were posted all over the place and populations did end up moving. Other questions remained, but wuld be resolved between themselves, such as the Yazidis, who many would end up in Assyria.

1584462868055.png

Post Iraqi-Syrian War nations.

The new nations have signed peace treaties with each other and before long, they were recognized by members of the Coalition along with most of their Middle East neighbors, the European Union and various other nations. Even if some lingering tensions remain over people moving, the exhaustion over war and the promise over a better tomrrow was enough for people to move past it to move forward. With peace settling in, people began voting in for how to decide the various aspects of their nations along with new constitutions that was declaring freedom of religion and protection of minorites within the nation, including those of LGBTQ folk. While the idea of them legalizing homosexual marriage, the people would still be protected from hate crimes, though it would be a while to be reinforced. Of course, the presence of Amercian soldiers and so on did help enforce the rule along with the new rush of exposure to the open markets. And of course, new flags were being designed. While Assyria and Kurdistan already had flags that could be used and Shaam would end up using an alternate flag they were having, the new Iraqi flag would take a while to be designed though one would be submitted in, having been influenced by Iran.

1584230971128.png

New Iraqi flag; based on the Iraqi flag of 1959-1963, though with a different Venus star
and the takbir written 6 times in the Kufic script in white on the black and green sides.

320px-Flag_of_Syria_2011%2C_observed.svg.png

The flag of Shaam, based on the flag of the opposition.

Last edited:
Why did they choose to name one of the states Shaam?
As I understand it that name applies to a larger area that also covers Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, and Israel, and so I would expect at least one of them would issue some form of diplomatic protest.

Why did they choose to name one of the states Shaam?
As I understand it that name applies to a larger area that also covers Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, and Israel, and so I would expect at least one of them would issue some form of diplomatic protest.
Because Assyria has a bigger claim to that, but I’d be happy to hear alternates since not many of them fit here

I don't really have any alternatives, I was just wondering.
I suppose there would also be a good deal of potential for confusion if there were two nearby countries called Syria and Assyria.

I don't really have any alternatives, I was just wondering.
I suppose there would also be a good deal of potential for confusion if there were two nearby countries called Syria and Assyria.

Yeah, not many and I have looked for it. I considered Mashriq, but that would fit better a congolmerate of all the nations between Turkey and Saudi Arabia...

Would Hillary Clinton pick Tim Kaine if he hadn't been elected as a Senator? I would think she'd pick Evan Bayh (who in ATL could probably win re-election in 2010 over Dan Coats), especially if in ATL Kaine endorses Barack Obama over Clinton. I suppose in a TL where Kaine was elected governor in 2001 (instead of Warner) and elected to the Senate in 2006 (instead of Webb), he'd make a great VP nominee on paper.

Last edited:
Would Hillary Clinton pick Tim Kaine if he hadn't been elected as a Senator? I would think she'd pick Evan Bayh (who in ATL could probably win re-election in 2010 over Dan Coats), especially if in ATL Kaine endorses Barack Obama over Clinton. I suppose in a TL where Kaine was elected governor in 2001 (instead of Warner) and elected to the Senate in 2006 (instead of Webb), he'd make a great VP nominee on paper.
Well, he was still governor here I believe and probaly joined the DNC around the time anyway.

Is an independant Assyria even feasible in 21st century? is it even majority Assyrian? I dont think the Kurds would be happy about an independent Assyria in the middle of Kurdistan.

Is an independant Assyria even feasible in 21st century? is it even majority Assyrian? I dont think the Kurds would be happy about an independent Assyria in the middle of Kurdistan.

Well, they’re getting a Kurdistan in the first place so it’s like they don’t have much of a position to complain about it. Heck, even with the creation of Kurdistan, more Kurds live in Turkey and Iran. Though I may adjust the size of it.

It’d be like the Lichtenstein of the Middle East and might have some relationship with Kurdistan.

Yes but Assyrians themselves are minority in this state so a majority would want to be a part of Kurdistan. An independent Assyria is not feasible with a Gore presidency pod

Yes but Assyrians themselves are minority in this state so a majority would want to be a part of Kurdistan. An independent Assyria is not feasible with a Gore presidency pod

Well, I did mention populatons are being moved here and hence why I'm reexamining the size of it. As for Assyria, the US is gonna examine the history and pretty much doubt Kurdistan would be fair to the Assyrians.

The Kurdistans don't have much of a position to complain since they are getting a Kurdistan in the first place.

Last edited:
Israel-Palestine Reflection
(With huge thanks to @LordYam for help!)

The Two-State Road: Israel and Palestine

The State of Palestine's birth was a long and complex progress that did not see much visible process until the Gore Administration came and the events that sprung up along with their reactions to them helped lead to the establishment of the state and Israel's acceptance of their presence. It took several years and effort on many people on part to reach here. As Palestine has been on the rise thanks to the investments in the information and service sectors among various other areas along with assisting in the Iraqi-Syrian War along with general peacekeeping, there has been a celeberation and a look back:

The Timeline

May-June 2003: Iran finalizes its deal with the United States. During the negotiations Gore was challenged on some of the pro orthodoxy positions regarding Israel, and ultimately decides to do some of his own homework. In the process he learns that the conflict is more complicated than expected Gore publically announces his reasoning in the press conference and goes into detail about why he's making the deal. The details go into wanting to secure peace and stability in the region, noting the troubling background behind the history and wanting to go into the future. He knows how religious extremism has been detrimental to everyone involved and how various groups (such as Hamas), have been doing more harm than good and noting if their relationship based on antagonism would fare in the long run. As per the deal, Iran pulls all funding on groups like Hezbollah and Hamas while Gore notes that if any other nations are funding Hamas, to cease lest public investigations will lead to further discoveries.

December 2003: The Geneva Initiative is announced. Gore is intrigued by the deal.

April 2004: Sharon publically announces the withdrawal plan. Gore's response is that he thinks it has the potential to be good, but that it has to involve full justice for the Palestinians. He explains that unless the Palestinians have full control over their own water supply airspace, borders roads etc than it won't really be a state, and invites Sharon to Camp David to discuss the issue further. Sharon is grudgingly forced to attend.

May 2004: The meeting is is stonewalled by the obstructive progress done by Sharon and other special interest groups. Comments about the affair are leaked to the media and groups such as AIPAC along with certain Republican politicians attempt to use the ordeal to try and turn the people against Al Gore. However, this backfires to various degrees; Gore just points to the politicians trying to use the issue as a distraction from the Exxon-Mobil scandal and even ties it in for the desire for American imperialism tied with foreign oil. AIPAC meanwhile has to try and answer why the deal is so bad and the lack of progress before hand. Gore's successes overshadow the accusations and the accusations become turned against the people.

November 2004: With Gore's reelection, the Likud party becomes fractured over the fallout of handling it. Eventually, the moderates who realize that they could get pummeled if they stood around with their hardliner colleagues. A vote of no confidence from Likud causes the fracture. Instead, over the next months, the Kadima party would split from the Likud party, led by Ehud Olmert, promoting a centralist path and honoring the agreements to try and move forward. A snap election is called and the Kadima party forms a government with the Labour party over the next upcoming months.

April 2005: A peace conference is scheduled to take place at Camp David to try to negotiate a deal. Eventually in May an agreement is reached. Israel will withdraw COMPLETELY from Gaza and turn over ALL infrastructure to the Palestinians in December (the palestinians won't be able to build up an army right away). If after a year things are relatively stable they will do the same thing for the West Bank. At the same time, the Palestinian government must promise to crack down on terrorist actions and tone down the anti semitic propaganda in schools. The deal is announced successfully at the end of the month.

December 2005: The Withdrawal occurs. Control is passed over to the Palestinian authority in Gaza.

January 2006: Fatah manages to win the elections barely after a surprising close election with Hamas, the latter exploiting the massive corruption scandals. However, fears of the deal failing under Hamas were enough to push toward PLA, albeit now under intense scrutiny. Hamas ends up fracturing over the loss of support into differing parties. This leads of certain smaller parties becoming much more popular among the people and former members of both such as the Palestinian National Initiative and the Palestinian Third Way parties. Many people expect that these smaller parties will come to take place of the older ones.

2007: The Palestinian State goes through its first year successfully. Has been working on establishing diplomatic relations with everyone and working on political rules and stability along with corruption. Palestine notes that the "Jerusalem" issue will probably not be solved for another five or even ten years.

2011: Palestine joins Israel, Jordan, the United States and Iran in the Coalition after the Iraqi-Syrian War exploits the Syrian civil war and leads to collapse. Palestinian and Israeli forces working together serve as good propaganda pieces for the effort. Palestine avoids negative growth in the Great Recession.

2012: As part of the new constitution regarding elections, elections for the semi-presidential state. Fatah and Hamas end up as minor parties by this point as the Palestinian National Intiative becomes the winner here, followed by the Palestinian Third Way and the Palestinian Democratic Union. Has established the Palestinian dinar and improving relations and unions.