For a Gore Prosperous Tomorrow

Well, here is somethign new for a personal touch! Me writing a reflection as if I grew up here in this timeline.

Through the Decade 2000-2009

"I was in third grade when 9/11 happened. I did not think much of it. I was one of those kids that lived kinda in my head. Plus I was in third game. Not much I could remember. I could remember everyone celebrating when Osama Bin Laden was caught. I did watch a bit of the trial with my dad. My younger brother and I were grade schoolers so large improtant international affairs like this were above our head, but our dad thought it is important. One thing I did remember that my dad clarified was on how the people that did the thing had no plan for what they supposedly wanted to do. My dad taught me that if you were gonna complain about something, you need to at least try to have a working solution. The whole thing I think made me think of Gore as someone who knew what they were doing. Otherwise, I was more focused on my personal stuff like school, reading, drawing, toys and video games. I was just a kid after all. What else could I do? I just played my Gamecube and games like Super Smash Bros Melee with my brother. He usually beat me though I liked Krystal because she used magic. "

"Of course, as I grew older, I was able to better understand stuff. The Exxon-Mobil scandal was another. I was around 10-11 during 2004. I was a middle schooler and the whole thing was talked about by the teachers so naturally even some of the students talked about it. I mean, it's not everyday when a president forces a big company to tell America and the world that they were lying to them and hiding the truth. They obviously wouldn't say it was because of money, but even back then, it was kinda obvious. It blew my mind. I was a person of reason and purpose, even if I was emotional. The thought of that selfishness bothered the heck out of me and still does. Being green became more popular, but it was the how that was different. I grew up in a smallish town in the northenist part of Georgia so the guys preferred more outdoorsy ways for protecting the environment. Of course, some of the kids who had dads that hunted noted this. Looking back, I think the scandal did kinda serve as a massive thing even for teens and tweens. That big companies can and will lie to you for the sake of it. For alot of ys that were young, such a blatant example did not escape us and I think it changed how some of us grew back . I know it changed some of the grown-ups. When we went back to class, I entered middle school and some of us recalled how our parents voted for 2004. More people voted for Gore than they did for Bush, some saying that Gore changed some of their parents. I didn't understand the whole conservative or liberal thing back then. None of us around my age did, but we could see Gore becoming an important president. Another was on the talk of Medicare for Kids. I grew up with good insurance thanks to my dad's job. The idea that some kids had trouble going to the doctor because their parents couldn't pay blew my mind. It... it sounded so wrong. The fact some places in Europe covered kids and adults just made it big. I began talking a bit more on politics back then. My dad encouraged it. It made me sound more grown-up and I liked that. I also began learning about taxes and so on. I still didn
't wholly get it, but I did know that if it's working for one group, it should work for us. I also heard about Facebook and Myspace for the first time. I did not really have full internet access yet on my computer, but I did think about it. Only news that hit me was on Marvel and Nestle. My dad's a Spider-Man fan so he was a bit surprised by what it mean and my uncle, a bigger fan, had to. I did not know what to think of it, but remembering how old Spider-Man was and how it ran and how things were the same. Maybe a redo was good, I thought. Nestle was also where I learned about environmental costs to stuff. I mean, I lvoed chocolate so hearing the news was worth my interest. Learning about the stuff regarding bottled water was seriously messed up. I think even at school it was noticed as I saw less water bottles and more people bringing their own or like those big water jugs."

"Change was more gradual, but more noticeable once I became a teenager and began experiencing all the ups and downs. Now having the internet, it meant I could do stuff like check out the social media stuff and so on. Myspace looked neat and hearing Gore talked about it, would make one around 2007. I was exploring more the Internet. I was going on to learn about Project MAY. Myspace's partnership with Artistshare and Youtube. The idea of people giving money to support artists seemed really cool and I couldn't help but show my dad. He found it fascinating. My folks always tried to maintain interest and so on with our stuff, but it was because it meant a lot to us. This was something that even grabbed his attention and I think some of his co-workers, he still worked for HP at the time. Entering high school had me websurfing as my main hobby and I delved deeper. I discovered a lot. I did not grow up watching Fred Rogers as a kid, so discovering his stuff on Youtube touched me like never before. I felt better about myself. I began taking a bit more seriously on maybe making money throug the internet. Of course, I was still insecure; I did not think i could match up to all the talented people online. Other things began changing me. I was surprised that Teen Titans could return if people sent money. My dad was skeptical on the thing, but he said it was my money. He helped me send it on Indiegogo. Surprise, surprise, the whole thing caught attention and it worked. I felt empowered and important. Sure there was some stuff on whether they could some names in as credits (I sent in 20 bucks because I was determined) and so on. But I got a commerative item and it felt... really nice. Caught my dad and brother by surprise. I think alot of people saw this as kinda a future thing. People pay and support what they like. It seemed obvious."

"The Simpsons ending was surprising. I did see the movie after all and hearing it ending reminded me of change. I remember being bummed out that Spider-Man 3 was cancelled as a film, but when I read up on the problems, I got a reminder the people making this stuff also have reasons. As time went by, I played new games. I remember getting a Nintendo Wii and have some fun there while my brother got an Xbox 360. I did not spend as much money there because of college coming up. I loved playing Brawl and found alot of the heroines introduced fascinating and pretty cool. My brother and I had different tastes in gaming and he played more mature games. However, there was one game that changed me forever. I first heard about it through roleplaying on the Serebii forums.... Persona. Persona 4 appeared on the Xbox 360 and I wanted to try it out. I asked and I would be recommended it, so I bought the game after my brother agreed I could use his Xbox 360 for it. Persona 4 I think was the game that helped me grow up. I was an insecure teenager wrestling with my problems, especially around the end of the decade. I had little friends. Playing this game... I related to everyone of the characters and the game consumed me. I laughed, I got mad, I even cried. No other game beforehand go to me in such a way. I devoured the game and everything on it, including what went behind it. I learned about Karl Jung there and I also discovered Jojo's Bizarre Adventure through there when i brought it up online. The game helped me through a rough time and helped accept the complicated parts of me. I thought the whole thing with Personas and later Stands would be cool and I thought I would wanna write something like that. Don't think I would've played it if the game was a Sony exclusive since neither my brother nor I had a Playstation 3. With 2010 coming, I guess there's more changes. The Recession sorta hit the family. My dad got a new job after taking an early retirement deal back in like 2008. If the Recession happened sooner, he probably wouldn't have been able to find the back-up job as quick and he was high enough and stayed there enough to not get let go, which was good. I was a bit more aware of stuff around me than I thought I would be. I guess I have to think more on my future and what I wanna do when I go to college. But looking at the past 10 years, was something special."
I gotta say this was extremely well written, I don't have anything else to say you did great Count.

I gotta say this was extremely well written, I don't have anything else to say you did great Count.
Thank you! And yeah, I reckon the 2000s would be mostly the same for us that were kids barring some choice opportunities and the positives like Medicare for Kids, a minorly delayed Recession and other things.

I moved to the UK in 07. I wonder how that country changes

I also don’t know how well 300 does if the US has friendlier relations with Iran

McCain Administration- Winter 2011
Winter 2011

"What the hell happened in Tucson?!"

"Welcome to the world, South Sudan..."

"Happy Groundhog Day everyone..."

A brand new year and the world was already on edge... after all, the Arab Spring brought attention back to the Middle East and North Africa regarding autocratic governments and nations of varying stability. To alot of people and governments, it warranted importance because of humanitarian purposes, even if people could not afford it as much due to the worsening economic conditions, even if stimulus packages were passed, though their effectiveness has been varied thus far. Additionally, no real changes or punishments were made to the banks behind this. The sense of relief would slowly give way to one of realization, of betrayal, of anger... however, during the course of that time, many other events came. Tucson surprised the nation with the news; U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and several others were shot during a constituent meeting held in a supermarket parking lot in Casas Adobes, Arizona, in the Tucson metropolitan area. The only casuality was Giffords herself. Giffords was holding the meeting, called "Congress on Your Corner", in the parking lot of a Safeway store when Jared Lee Loughner drew a pistol and shot her in the head before proceeding to fire on other people. The entire tragedy sparked a firestorm, especially into the investigation of the shooter, Loughner. Despite Loughner's record of questionable behavior, he was permitted to purchase the handgun. The entire ordeal served as a call for bipartisan unity even with the discussions of things like gun control or investigation on Loughner's behavior. Loughner would end up being shot dead before he could be subdued. Feelings were of widespread anger and frustration and some thoughts were being floated on what could be done.

Gabrielle_Giffords_shooting_scene_2.jpg

Roadside sign at the scene the day of the shooting.

Meanwhile, the world deals with its own ups and downs. Through stimulus packages and bailouts, all while finger-pointing over the banks failign was being done. Hell, there was massive protests going on in Iceland that would see a quiet overthrow of the government with the installation of a new Prime Minister, which spread all across social media and held as an exemplar on how to hold accountable corrupt governments. However, other nations were seeing progress with their government, one of which being the future new state of South Africa. A referendum took place in Southern Sudan from 9 to 15 January 2011, on whether the region should remain a part of Sudan or become independent. The referendum was one of the consequences of the 2005 Naivasha Agreement between the Khartoum central government and the Sudan People's Liberation Army/Movement (SPLA/M). On 7 February 2011, the referendum commission published the final results, with 98.83% voting in favor of independence. While the ballots were suspended in 10 of the 79 counties for exceeding 100% of the voter turnout, the number of votes was still well over the requirement of 60% turnout, and the majority vote for secession is not in question. Several nations commented on the hopes of growing independence and autonomy, while others expressed concern regarding structural integrity and infrastructure. These concerns have led to delaying the date of independence, going from July to December of the year, all while growing connections with their neighbors. McCain has showed his support and also concern on the matter.

640px-Flag_of_South_Sudan.svg.png

South Sudan flag

Of course, disaster have ways of striking or causing problems back at home. As January went over to Febuary, the United States and Canada would become buffered by a large winter storm. Coming to be known as the 2011 Groundhog Day Blizzard, it was a surprising and massive storm of snow that hit over several parts. Predicted and prepared for in part because of the satellite and systems placed by the Gore Administration prior, it still served as a colossal shock for the populations of both nations. An ice storm ahead of the winter storm's warm front also brought hazardous conditions to much of the American Midwest and New England, and many areas saw well over 1 in (2.5 cm) of ice accumulation. Numerous power outages, flight cancellations, airport closures, road closures, roof collapses, rail and bus cancellations, mail stoppages, and school, government, and business closures took place ahead of and after the storm; many of these disruptions lasted several days. Several tornado touchdowns were reported in Texas and a tornado watch was issued for parts of Alabama, ahead of the cold front in the warm sector of the storm. In addition, thundersnow was recorded at some locations, including downtown Chicago. Surprises laid everywhere, including how the cold aur that touched down in a certain spot in Mexico would damage heavily much of the tropical trees there. Up further north, a prior blizzard ended up serving as the appetizer to this intense storm. All in all, it tested many people and the idea of climate change returned into people's minds. However, while the prepartions and plans did well, some of the budget cuts and mishandling did lead to some criticisms down the line.

576px-2011-02-01_North_American_blizzard_2131Z.jpg

In a winter marked by several crippling storms, the storm of February 1–2, 2011, stands out. Heavy snow, ice, freezing rain, and frigid wind battered about two thirds of the United States, making it “a winter storm of historic proportions,” said the National Weather Service. In the image, the storm measures about 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles) from west to east.

The wars....that's a tough one. I know that Syria has a LONG history of instability. Up until the Assad regime there were rulers regularly changing every few months. It depends on how things play out. If Iran gets involved things will be complicated

McCain Administration Spring 2011
Spring 2011

"Looks like the Supreme Court is pretty busy..."

"First the crazy blizzards and now these twisters?! This ain't normal! And we ain't ready for stuff like this!"

"What the flood?!"

The "Spring of the Supreme Court" would be labelled this season, if namely due to the surprising amount of notable Supreme Court decisions that were implemented over during the spring time. First of all was one regarding over the case of a deceased soldier killed during a peacekeeping mission during the Arab Spring, with his funeral being protested by the infamous Westboro Baptist Church. While there was the question in regards over decency and so on, The case brought up the issue of whether or not the First Amendment protected public protestors at a funeral against claims of emotional distress, better known as tort liability. It involved a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress. On the one hand, the First Amendment was one of the most sacred and fundamental pillars of American society along with freedom of religion, especially on public spaces. On the other hand, emotional distress and harassment had to be considered, especially since some of the protest signs were less about "public issues" and more "private harassment". Much to the outrage of many, in Snyder v. Phelps, the Court sided with Phelps, citing an infamously previous case regarding filming animal violence and that the signs were mainly of public issues.The anger went beyond partial circles however given the relative unanimous agreement barring one dissent. Other case results were greeted more postively, such as Arizona Christian School Tuition Organization v. Winn , which saw the repeal of a state law regarding providing tax credits to people who donate to school tuition organizations providing scholarships to students attending private or religious schools. Kentucky v. King, regarding warrantless searches violating the 4th Amendment under suspicions of destruction of evidence ended up claiming that it did, since such suspicions could be claimed on behalf of the police. Brown v. Plata maintained that a court-mandated population limit was necessary to remedy a violation of prisoners’ Eighth Amendment constitutional rights. Some displayed concerns over letting prisoners go while others used to point out the surprisingly large prison populatons in general and the comparisons of some crimes over others. Chamber of Commerce v. Whiting would rule that an Arizona state law suspending or revoking business licenses of businesses that hire illegal aliens is illegal, noting overreach. Concerns over the practice of hiring illegals were displayed though others pointed out that it would not stop businesses from trying. It got many people to closer examine the view of the Supreme Court, especially with how it was they who more-or-less decided a Presidential election over back in 2000. Others began pressuring their legislatures for better laws or further actions while others took matters in their own hands.

111002075249-supreme-court-building-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Supreme Court image

Meanwhile, with the nation recovering the intense snow storms, they would be attacked by perhaps the biggest outbreak of tornados. The 2011 Super Outbreak was the largest, costliest, and one of the deadliest tornado outbreaks ever recorded, taking place along the Southern, Midwestern, and Northeastern United States and leaving catastrophic destruction in its wake. The event not only affected Alabama and Mississippi the most severely, but also produced destructive tornadoes in Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia, and affected many other areas throughout the Southern and Eastern United States. In total, 360 tornadoes were confirmed by NOAA's National Weather Service (NWS) and Government of Canada's Environment Canada in 21 states from Texas to New York to southern Canada. Widespread and destructive tornadoes occurred on each day of the outbreak, with April 27 being the most active day with a record of 216 tornadoes touching down that day from midnight to midnight CDT (0500 – 0500 UTC). Four of the tornadoes were destructive enough to be rated EF5, which is the highest ranking possible on the Enhanced Fujita scale; typically these tornadoes are only recorded about once each year or less. Following the snow storm, the entire ordeal weighed heavily on the American people, especially with many people trying to recover from losses of the snow storm or even the Great Recession. More emergancy services were being requested and people trying to rebuild themselves. The disasters became a painful reminder over the potential disaster of climate change and the lack of money coming in for infrastructure or emergancy services, leading to growing frustrations over toward the McCain administration. This also led to a revitalization of emergancy packs or people saving money for a rainy day, with the disaster causing a bit more problems for the economy.

636px-Apr_27_2011_tornado_outbreak_Southern_USA.jpg

April 27 and April 28, 2011, brought the deadliest tornado outbreak in the United States since 1974. By dawn on April 28, at least 250 people had been killed in 6 states.

However, this was not yet bad enough for the Americans, especially those living near the mighty Mississippi. The Mississippi River floods in April and May 2011 were among the largest and most damaging recorded along the U.S. waterway in the past century, comparable in extent to the major floods of 1927 and 1993. In April 2011, two major storm systems deposited record levels of rainfall on the Mississippi River watershed. When that additional water combined with the springtime snowmelt, the river and many of its tributaries began to swell to record levels by the beginning of May. Areas along the Mississippi itself experiencing flooding included Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. The ordeal was calling for the worst flooding to be labelled federal disaster areas. This along with the troublesome economy would end up costing people even more, pushing Americans to the limits. Additionally, the problems and cracks weighed down on them. While the Medicare for Kids made sure youngsters got free healthcare, the adults weren't as lucky, especially with job losses, or business damages and so on. For the first time in 37 years, the Morganza Spillway was opened on May 14, deliberately flooding 4,600 square miles (12,000 km2) of rural Louisiana to save most of Baton Rouge and New Orleans The links to the tornadoes were unsurprising and by near the summer, a growing number of people were growing pretty pissed. Climate disasters, unsteady economies and it seemed like politicians were not listening or providing the assistance needed. Growing radical voices began proclaiming what was needed.

640px-2011_Memphis_flooding.jpg

Flooding along Beale Street in downtown Memphis, Tennessee

"Mr. President! Mr. President! Iraq has just declared war on Syria!!!"

FDRFan1943

Banned
So the 2011 Super Outbreak surpassed the April 3 1974 Super Outbreak?

How does the Surpeme Court swing in this timeline? Any justices different than in the OTL?

So the 2011 Super Outbreak surpassed the April 3 1974 Super Outbreak?

How does the Surpeme Court swing in this timeline? Any justices different than in the OTL?

John Paul Stevens retired one 2010. He slurred his words during an argument regarding citizens united and realized that he’d been doing it for to long. The question is who would McCain pick to replace him

Last edited:
John Paul Stevens retired one 2010. He slurred his words during an argument regarding citizens united and realized that he’d been doing it for to long. The question is who would McCain pick to replace him

Well, Citizens United ain't gonna happen. I reckon JPS probably retires after the Spring Rush gets to him,

McCain will probably have to pick a centralist. The Spring of the Supreme Court is fresh on the minds and after the whole debacle of Snyder Vs Phelps, people have become much more wary of the Supreme Court's influence. Election season is coming up and the Democrats maintain some slight advantage, if mainly because more centralist polticians in presence.

Any suggestions?

The federalist society is not gonna be going down without a fight. They’ll be pushy for anyone to represent their needs

given that he may well be governor at this time it depends. Let’s go through some bush picks for Supreme Court. McCain might go for that.

The federalist society is not gonna be going down without a fight. They’ll be pushy for anyone to represent their needs

given that he may well be governor at this time it depends. Let’s go through some bush picks for Supreme Court. McCain might go for that.
The Federalist Society has lost a lot of their bite. Political gerrymandering is illegal now and the voting regions reshaped to be fair. And he was on Obama’s short list, hence why i figures.

McCain ain’t to the level of Bush and the newer Republicans are more moderates and definitely eco-minded. They’re not as likely to be pressured by the Federalist society.

Dems and GOP may be roughly balanced in the House and Senate, but part of that came from the Blue Dog Democrats switching parties to help their more liberal counterparts.

Last edited:
The Arab Spring Part 2: The Iraqi-Syrian War
The Arab Spring Part 2: The Iraqi-Syrian War

Iraq and Syria were unique nations. They were the last nations upholding the so-called Baathist ideology. However, rather than be allies, they are antagonistic, a relationship that has grown more bitter and angry over time. The United States had plans to deal with Iraq since the Gulf War from decades prior, but never enacted on it. There was no real casus belli on it. However, the idea has died down if namely due to the criticisms lobbied at neoconservatives and to a lesser extent neoliberals for their attempts to try and persuade people for the war. That does not mean that a scenario to deal with Iraq was not on the table nor with Syria. Syria was Russia's primary contact within the Middle East and Iraq had long been the target of Iran. As such, plans were drawn up though still in the planning phase. Iran wanted the Shia Iraqis in their sphere of influence and the Americans would be willing to grant them though questions remained on Kurdistan and the Assyrians as well. This was a very complicated situation. Iran was anxious that the creation of a Kurdish state could resuilt in the Iranian Kurds wanting to seperate with the traditional Kurdish lands. On the other hand, the situations between the Iraqi and the Iranian Kurds were quite different. The Iranian Kurds had shared history and positive relations with Iran so they saw no reason to want to leave and preferred autonomy at most. The Iraqi Kurds on the other hand were pretty keen on statehood after the the brutal conflicts between them and Saddam and Kurdish autonomy was only maintained through American and British swords protecting them, with their civil rights growing restricted due to Saddam's growing paranoia. This left Sunni Iraq as one more thing to figure out. Iran agreed to the terms though noted the creation of Kurdistan would in all likelihood create trouble with Turkey.

According to some of the information leaked from Cablegate, Erdoğan was described by U.S. diplomats as having "little understanding of politics beyond Ankara" and as surrounding himself with an "iron ring of sycophantic (but contemptuous) advisors". He is said to be "isolated", and that his MPs and Ministers feel "fearful of Erdogan's wrath". Diplomats state that "he relies on his charisma, instincts, and the filterings of advisors who pull conspiracy theories off the web or are lost in neo-Ottoman Islamist fantasies". This did not give much hope for the Americans on that front and they sure did not want to fight with Turkey. However, the economic problems in Turkey have been leading to greater tensions as of late, and trouble for the Erdoğan government, especially if he will be capable to help the Turkish economy.

However, Turkey dealing with their economic problems served as a convienent excuse for the Americans, though instead, they began stationing more forces at Israel, Palestine and Jordan, with them eyeing warily Syria and Iraq. They also wanted to limit the Sauds' movement in the area due to the growing revelations on the Sauds' connection with the 9/11 hijackers along with them spreading what has been deemed the "Westboro Baptism of Islam". Another issue was the Russians, being the main ally of Syria with their relations with Iran having grown more distant as a result of them moving to the US. Of course, this was more the Assad government than anyone else. However, the plans would come in handy when it all hit the fan.

Syria was affected by the Arab Spring unsurprisingly and while attempts at delaying and maintaining was held, not much else could be done. And so by May, the Syrian Civil War officially begun. With Russian in economic troubles, they did not lend much assistance, nor did they think they needed to. Everyone hoped peace could try and be achieved and the fighting would reach an end soon. However, it was not to be. In June, a few weeks into the civil war, Iraq declared war on Syria, citing the dangers of Syrian insurgents and dangers spilling into his nation. The Syrian forces attempted to try and unifying, but Iraq was better equipped and more-suited, with Saddam desperately hoping for a quick enough victory and it seemed to be going that way.

He was sorely mistaken.

When word got out, the Americans and their allies in the Middle East, including Iran, executed their operation to invade Iraq under the pretense of bringing stability as well as liberating the Kurds. Reception was mixed to say the least, but ample preparation time and the invasion from several sides allowed for a powerful advantage. Of course, their inclusion into the war led to the powderkeg exploding. Kurdish nationals flooded into Iraq. Despite the violence, by early August, Iraq had been defeated by the rise of Iraqi civilians, the coalition of American, Iranian and other allies triumphed over Saddam. The next few weeks and months would be devoted to administering the different regions and working to figure the best solution while dealing with Saddam loyalists and extremists. Of course, the fighting was far from over.

Iraq had done some significant damage to Syria in the few weeks Iraq could run rampant over in Syria and the forces remained became mercenaries or joined the various sides, forcing the coalition to further involve themselves in Syria, The Syrian Army got heavily injured and several groups began splintering, resulting in more effort being put in by the Coalition. The entire affair was bedlam yet the Coalition continuqed, especially as Jordan, Israel and Palestine closed in, working to try and secure the area. Assad himself would become assassinated by a suicide bomb attack by a supposed cabinet (some suspect with links over to a former member of Saddam's forces or religious extremists.) The Americans among many others like the Iranians, Jordanians, Israelis and Palestianians would spend more manpower and time into trying to bring order, especially as the Syrian Civil War dissolved into madness and looking to restore order. New organizations would spring up and it would be clear the stabilzing the region with a long term plan would be an option, especially as more and more of the Baathists would be retreating.

The Iraqi-Syrian War technically ended with the end of that summer with the fall of Iraq and the destabilization of Syria, but an official peace would not be signed for years until the new nations stablized. The war was marked with sorrow, with hope, with violence and with promise...

American involvement was viewed with various looks across the world though given Saddam's lack of reputation and Syria's pre-existing conditions, there was little anyone could actually complain though Russia's antagonism with the Americans grew further with Syria's collapse, but the economy was being very turbulent for them and the Americans have become wary of Putin designs... Calls of imperialism were shut down as the Americans had little to gain regarding resource and indeed, no oil fields or anything went to any companies or anything. Gore's eco legacy was too deep-rooted and the people too wary and on edge for them to try and anything. The war did serve to solidifying the growing relationship on Iran with the Americans as well as Israel, Palestine and Jordan. The Kurds and Assyrians were grateful for American assistance though it was right now a matter of resolving the issue on the various regions formed from the past failures of British and French imperialism. American intervention would serve as a much needed bost of confidence for the McCain Administration in that they were doing good though the judgement of what next remains...