Football WI : What if UEFA Added Salary Cap in 2009 instead of FFP

well Platini have an meeting with UEFA Board about the situation of clubs who have some Financial Money and they decide that in 2009 the clubs are not longer much money at start in 2011-2012 season and they could face banned in europe

but FFP have some big problems at some point,PSG and Man City spend lot of money on some players and they supposed to get broke but in end they get away with because UEFA Does not care and that cause some football fans been so angry about that decision

Man city almost got banned by UEFA In 2020 for Financial Rules but they got away with that caused FFP died at some point in 2020

but what if Platini instead of FFP he decide to annouced that he could added Salary Cap in Europe and that made an agreement when some european players not having more wages that makes clubs into debts and decide to keep little money and wages to spend on players

The problem was that Man City and PSG had so much money behind them they could just keep yeeting their legal teams at UEFA until UEFA relented. I can't imagine Platini implementing a salary cap. You would need someone much more principled at UEFA to do that. They would need to be pretty strong too as a lot of big clubs/players will fight against the salary cap.

The problem was that Man City and PSG had so much money behind them they could just keep yeeting their legal teams at UEFA until UEFA relented. I can't imagine Platini implementing a salary cap. You would need someone much more principled at UEFA to do that. They would need to be pretty strong too as a lot of big clubs/players will fight against the salary cap.
well maybe UEFA will be very strict with Man City and PSG Because of spending money

I'm not sure exactly how much authority UEFA has but this strikes me as something that would have encountered a lot more resistance. It would probably make for better and more interesting football, though.

well Platini have an meeting with UEFA Board about the situation of clubs who have some Financial Money and they decide that in 2009 the clubs are not longer much money at start in 2011-2012 season and they could face banned in europe

but FFP have some big problems at some point,PSG and Man City spend lot of money on some players and they supposed to get broke but in end they get away with because UEFA Does not care and that cause some football fans been so angry about that decision

Man city almost got banned by UEFA In 2020 for Financial Rules but they got away with that caused FFP died at some point in 2020

but what if Platini instead of FFP he decide to annouced that he could added Salary Cap in Europe and that made an agreement when some european players not having more wages that makes clubs into debts and decide to keep little money and wages to spend on players
European union would consider it oligopolistic market practice and shut it down

well maybe UEFA will be very strict with Man City and PSG Because of spending money
I certainly hope so. Sometimes all you need is a leader with the balls (for lack of a better term) to do the right thing.
But whoever is in charge, I think there will be opposition from some of the bigger clubs. This is one year after Sheikh Mansour acquired Manchester City and I would bet good money his group will fight. If UEFA keeps the rules, then you might even butterfly Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani acquiring Paris Saint-Germain and could make French football slightly more intersting. This could also butterfly English dominance of club football and make continental competitions more competitive overall.

I certainly hope so. Sometimes all you need is a leader with the balls (for lack of a better term) to do the right thing.
But whoever is in charge, I think there will be opposition from some of the bigger clubs. This is one year after Sheikh Mansour acquired Manchester City and I would bet good money his group will fight. If UEFA keeps the rules, then you might even butterfly Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani acquiring Paris Saint-Germain and could make French football slightly more intersting. This could also butterfly English dominance of club football and make continental competitions more competitive overall.
this is the reason why UEFA should never put FPP in first place

I don't think much would change, rich teams would still dominate (At most, for example, this would reduce the advantage of Real Madrid and Barcelona for Atlético de Madrid, but I don't see how Valencia or Sevilla, for example, would benefit.) And At most it will reduce the gap between the Premier league big and other leagues big (like inter, Milan And Atlético Madrid) but the mid teams That are not rich and the smaller teams will not benefit, Most will continue as is

Last edited:
This, football players have much more power than American athletes, just look at the bosman case, I don't know how the Salary cap fits into the European Union, but if it goes against any of these guidelines, the players will go to the European court as bosman.

This, football players have much more power than American athletes, just look at the bosman case, I don't know how the Salary cap fits into the European Union, but if it goes against any of these guidelines, the players will go to the European court as bosman.
so the only thing to make players not go to european court is wage cap

so the only thing to make players not go to european court is wage cap
I don't understand it very well, but let's go into a hypothetical scenario where a salary cap with luxury spots, So the big players still get big salaries, the average players would still go to court, the bosman himself was a little-known average player, Then again, the salary cap was not fully implemented because it would never be well accepted by the world of football, nor by the majority of players, by most of the big clubs and by a large part of the fans.

It would be against EU rules IIRC.

A better WI is if the Bosman ruling is never introduced. That's when player power took over.

The French league with a salary cap would be a worse farmers' league than it already is, just look at the TV rights negotiations, PSG had to fight for the league to sign a contract with a higher number, Of course, the fact that PSG has a super team helped, in the end the same clubs and leagues will still dominate the uefa with Salary cap or not, we will only see a reduction in the gap between the big clubs that exist today (Real Madrid And Barcelona against Atlético Madrid, Premier league big against italia 3 bigs), But average clubs without owners like PSG or City owners will continued to be average teams.

Last edited:
It would be against EU rules IIRC.

A better WI is if the Bosman ruling is never introduced. That's when player power took over.
If the Bosman law does not exist, the problems that today make us discuss the Salary cap will not exist, as each league, including the Champions League, would have a limit on foreigners, Consequently domestic players will be cheaper And they will make up the majority of the squad, with the exorbitant salaries likely being limited to the 3 foreign Slot.

The issue of parity also changes since, for example, we will not have multinational teams, And with the limit of 3 foreigners, we will have a pool of foreign talent more spread across the leagues (Just getting the Manchester city team from the city's foreigners, only 3 would remain at the club, at real Madrid too, These players would go to medium clubs.), We would probably see Ajax's rebirth in major competitions

Last edited:
If the Bosman law does not exist, the problems that today make us discuss the Salary cap will not exist, as each league, including the Champions League, would have a limit on foreigners, Consequently domestic players will be cheaper And they will make up the majority of the squad, with the exorbitant salaries likely being limited to the 3 foreign Slot.

The issue of parity also changes since, for example, we will not have multinational teams, And with the limit of 3 foreigners, we will have a pool of foreign talent more spread across the leagues (Just getting the Manchester city team from the city's foreigners, only 3 would remain at the club, at real Madrid too, These players would go to medium clubs.), We would probably see Ajax's rebirth in major competitions
and Champions League would have only champions group stage but 32 teams by now