Flower O'Scotland

Chapter 139: Orangist

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 139: Orangist

June, 1574

William, Prince of Orange took a sip of wine and then spoke. “Madam, we both know that the situation as it currently stands is not viable. There is too much tension between competing factions to allow for a stable government, let alone a stable country.”

Margaret, Duchess of Parma and Governor of the Netherlands for the past fifteen years looked at him and William felt as if he were in the presence of a Queen, not a mere governor. “What then, do you suggest we do?” The governor replied in Flemish.

“We must find a common enemy for the different factions and we must use that common enemy to distract them from their squabbles.” William said. “Personally, I would recommend the French.” It was something he had been thinking on for a long time whilst at his estates, debating whether to put forward the proposal or not.

“The French?” the Governor asked.

“Yes, Madam.” William replied. “The French are in chaos right now; King Charles is by all accounts mad as his ancestor was. We have the opportunity and the resources to strike and reclaim some of the towns on the border. We would be foolish not to.”

There was a silence that followed his statement as the Duchess thought over what he had said. William had a thousand different scenarios planned in his head, alongside the possible counter arguments that the Duchess might propose, but he was relieved when she replied. “Very well. I take it you would wish to command the forces that went ahead and fought the French?”

William nodded. “If it pleases you, Madam.”

“It is not a matter of pleasing me, William, it is a matter of having the best person possible leading this matter.” The Duchess said. “Though I shall need to ensure the King’s approval for this, before proceeding, you understand?”

“Yes, of course.” William said. He hoped King Philipp agreed, otherwise he feared that the unrest he had just about managed to calm last time might flare up once more.

“There was something else you wanted to discuss was there not?” The Duchess asked.

“Yes.” William said. “I have spoken with the merchants of the cities, and they have asked me to petition you on their behalf, Madam.” He paused, took another sip of wine and then said. “They wanted me to raise the question over whether or not it would be possible for us to begin trading with Britain once more.”

“Why?” the Duchess asked. “Are they not happy with the lucrative trade they are doing with the Empire and with Spain?”

“It is not that, Madam,” William replied. “It is that Britain is beginning to outcompete us.” He brought out a letter and put it on the table. The Duchess picked it up and read it. “As you can see from the accounts, the trade for the Netherlands is now ten percent less than what we believe British figures to be. They are benefitting from something and we need to know what.”

“So, use the spies that are at your disposal to do so.” The Duchess said. “Simply lifting the sanctions on British trade won’t do anything.”

William bit back a sigh, he had feared that the Duchess might say this. “Madam, there is a difference between using covert means to get information and having the information readily available to use for the benefit of everyone.”

“And you think the British would be more willing to share their trading potential with us, if we removed the sanctions?” The Duchess asked.

“I do.” William said. “I think that we must not miss out on an opportunity to share in the growth of a trading nation. France is falling apart under a mad King, we must take advantage of that, and we can better do that by working with Britain than against it.”

There was a long pause as the Duchess seemed to consider what he had said, then eventually he responded. “I shall write to the King and see what he has to say.”

“Thank you.” William said.

“He might well ask a price for what you demand though.” The Duchess said.

William knew what price might be demanded, his firstborn son, but he was willing to pay it if it meant the world his son stood to inherit would be improved. “I know.”

Chapter 140: The Way The World Works

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 140: The Way The World Works

October, 1574

James, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, Earl of Chester and Carrick and Lord of the Isles looked at his father and found himself wondering just what was going through the older man’s mind. It had been months since his father had returned home, a few months since he’d officially been made a Privy Councillor and attended his first proper council meeting, and now they were meeting in the King’s solar in Hampton Court Palace. Usually they’d be in St James, but Parliament was in recess for the Autumn now, and well, it seemed the King wanted a chance to relax.

“So,” the King began, pulling James out of his thoughts. “You have now attended seven Privy Council Meetings and attended several debates in Parliament. Tell us what you have thought of them.”

James took a moment to think, he’d sat in the Lords and listened to the jeering and the shouting and wondered just how it was possible that the same men he saw at court, who were dignified and upright could become little more than the monkeys he saw in his father’s menagerie, he did not know. “It has been an interesting experience.” His father snorted and James continued. “There is something about Parliament that makes everyone who sits within it change. I do not know what it is.”

“What it is, is power.” The King said. “They have the ability to help influence the direction the Kingdom goes in, that would make any man mad. Furthermore, they are competing for favour.”

“How so?” James asked.

“Parliament can create legislation, but ultimately it is I, the King and the Council who decide what gets made into law and what doesn’t. The reason they are so loud and boisterous in the Lords is because they know this. As such, either side will argue strongly hoping to get their point across to us. Unfortunately, they have the view that shouting the loudest will get them heard.” the King said.

“And of course it won’t.” James replied, he then repeated a phrase he’d heard his father say often enough. “Those who shout have already lost the argument, if they knew they were right, they would not need to shout.”

His father smiled at him. “Exactly.” There was a brief pause and then the King asked. “So, that is Parliament and the Council, what of the matter of France?”

“I think it is bold, what the Netherlands is doing, invading the border towns and challenging the French. The King of France is mad; we both know that. But France has a lot of strength.” James replied, he had done his reading of the discussion and the reports coming from Calais. And he’d even spoken with the Prince of Condé on the matter as well.

“And which side of the argument do you come down on? Cecil’s or Dudley’s?” The King asked.

James thought on this, William Cecil, the Lord High Treasurer was very much in favour of remaining neutral and providing funding to the Netherlands, whereas Dudley, Earl of Leicester wanted to invade France through Calais. Both sides had merits, but James knew the Kingdom had just recently ended one war. “I do not think we have the capacity to wage war so soon after ending the previous invasion. After all, you have only just come home, and the Spanish have invaded Gascony, anyway, so the French will be struggling at two ends.”

“Indeed.” The King replied. “Though would you have us fund the Netherlands?”

James shook his head. “I wouldn’t, I think that they are getting enough assistance as it is. I would however, consider whether Calais should go to them.”

“Why?” The King asked, he didn’t sound annoyed merely curious.

“Well, I feel that it will eventually become something of a noose around our neck, Sire.” James began. “I know that it is a sign of our continued presence in France and a remnant of the 100 Years War, but I feel that we will eventually regret keeping hold of it. It is expensive to maintain and means we are constantly vulnerable. If we sell it we could make quite the profit from it, and use the money we garner from it to invest in exploration of the New World. After all, our sailors have discovered a new land mass on the east coast, which neither the Spanish or the French have found.”

James would admit to himself that he found exploration of the New World to be far more interesting than maintain some link to a distant claim in France. He looked at his father and saw that the older man was considering his words. Eventually, the King spoke. “You speak truly, however, the New World is unpredictable, whereas Calais is not. It is a known quantity, and right now, the council and the Kingdom need that surety. We shall continue to travel through the New World, of course, but Calais shall remain with us for now.”

The tone with which his father had said that indicated to James that it would better to acquiesce than to complain, so he did so. “Yes, father.”

“There is one more thing I wished to discuss with you, before you venture off for your hunt with Arthur.” The King said.

“Father?” James asked.

“Word has come from Denmark, specifically from our sister Mary, your betrothed has flowered and is now of an age to marry.” The King said.

For a moment James panicked, he had not had his own time of preparation for this. He knew Arthur had recently had his, but when his time had approached, father had been away in France, and Mother did not approve of such things. Therefore, James remained without experience of touching a woman, let alone fucking her. “I see.” Was all he was able to say.

“Worry not though, I have agreed with Mary that the girl will not come here for a marriage until she is sixteen.” The King replied.

“Okay.” James said, breathing a sigh of relief.

“There will be plenty of time for you to gain experience before then.” His father said pointedly.

James nodded, but inside the thought made him sick. “Yes, Sire.”

Chapter 141: Spanish King

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 141: Spanish King

March, 1575

Felipe, King of Spain and Naples and so many other Kingdoms that made up his Empire took one moment to read through the report from William, Prince of Orange and then put it down. “We cannot continue this fighting in France.” He said.

His wife, Maria of Viseu turned to look at him. “Why? It is working is it not? The Prince of Orange has reclaimed several towns that were lost many years before, and the French are struggling over what to do. Furthermore, Catherine of Navarre has agreed to ally with us.”

Felipe might not like his wife much, but she was very politically astute, that much he could recognise. “Yes, but this war is soon to draw in other powers. Britain for one.” That was something he could not abide. Britain had been an enemy since that heretic King James had ascended the throne, the thought of making peace with them was something he could not countenance.

Maria picked up the letter he had been reading. “It would make sense to ally with the man though. To end the trading limitations that the Netherlands has been experiencing. You know that, that was what Margaret herself had written to say.”

Felipe snorted. “She has also proposed that I arrange a marriage for one of our daughters to the King of Britain’s heir. She wants our daughter to marry a heretic.”

“Perhaps that is not so bad?” Maria suggested. “The girls are old enough to marry now, and there is talk around court that they have done something scandalous, which is why they are not married. For goodness sake’s Felipe, Isabella is to be twenty-four this year. She must marry!”

“I will not marry our daughters to heretics!” Felipe shot back. “They can join a nunnery if they so wish, but they will not marry heretics.”

“Then who?” Maria demanded. “Who will they marry?”

“Isabella will marry Alfonso, Duke of Modena.” Felipe said, deciding there and then. “Had she not been foolish enough to get involved with the Duke of Alba’s son perhaps I would have considered another marriage for her.”

“You would marry her to a man who has no children by two previous wives, one of whom is your cousin?” Maria asked sounding horrified.

“Yes. To secure an ally in Italy, I would.” Felipe said. “There is no changing my mind on this matter.” He added firmly when he saw that his wife was about to protest.

“Fine.” Maria said. “What of Catherine?”

“Either she can marry Emmanuel of Savoy or she shall need to wait for some more time.” Felipe said.

“You could always offer her to Britain as part of a peace agreement.” Maria said.

“No. For the hundredth-time Maria, I shall not marry our daughters off to heretics.” Felipe said banging his fist on the table.

“Fine.” Maria said, though Felipe knew by the tone of her voice that all was not fine, and perhaps would never be fine. He bit back a sigh, why was being married to her so difficult? It had never been like this when Maria Manuela had been alive.

“I will marry Felipe to Catherine of Navarre, or if that does not work then to Anna of Nassau. The girl has been raised a Catholic by her father, and a marriage to the House of Orange will stand Felipe in good stead as Lord of the Netherlands.” Felipe said referring to their youngest son.

“You intend to divide the inheritance?” Maria asked sounding surprised.

“Yes.” Felipe said simply. “I do not think that Carlos can manage two different spheres quite as well as myself or my father have been able to. Furthermore, Felipe has shown more of an inclination to the Netherlands. You saw how he was received when he visited there last year.” It was true, Margaret had written back describing the sheer joy and adulation their second son had gotten when he’d gone there on a learning tour.

“I suppose you are right.” Maria said. “Though perhaps there is another bride that could be used for Felipe, marrying him to one of his subject’s daughters would not do well for the factional differences within the region.”

Felipe raised an eyebrow and asked. “Who would you suggest?”

“Sophie Hedwig of Brunswick. The family have strong ties to the Emperor, and they are noticeably devout.” Maria said.

“I shall take that into consideration.” Was what Felipe replied with, he knew that the Brunswicks were close to Maximilian but he did not know if they were Catholic or not. his knowledge on the more minor of Imperial families was lacking much to his shame.

“I shall also be sending Carlos to Naples for a time to get a feel of the place, so that he can better understand what is required of a King.” Felipe said then.

“You are sure?” Maria asked.

“Yes. He must learn how to rule without his father there to hold his hand.” Felipe said simply.

“Then will his wife and children be going with him?” Maria asked.

“His wife yes, his children no. I will not subject them to the voyage.” Felipe said. He didn’t like how dependent it seemed his son was on his wife, but he would not bring that up now. He did not want another argument with Maria.

“Very well.” Maria said.

@VVD0D95: Felipe so against an English match is pretty OOC as both he and his father always valued English alliance more important than their religion.
And Infanta Isabella what has done?

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
@VVD0D95: Felipe so against an English match is pretty OOC as both he and his father always valued English alliance more important than their religion.
And Infanta Isabella what has done?
Noted, though Felipe did hold out hoping for a chance to stiff them during Elizabeth’s reign

Noted, though Felipe did hold out hoping for a chance to stiff them during Elizabeth’s reign
Only later in that reign... Earlier he was much friendly (Elizabeth owed to him a good part of her crown as without Philip's protection she would be likely dead, probably excluded from the English succession and surely excommunicated)

VVD0D95

Banned
Only later in that reign... Earlier he was much friendly (Elizabeth owed to him a good part of her crown as without Philip's protection she would be likely dead, probably excluded from the English succession and surely excommunicated)

ahh I see

Chapter 142: Naples

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 142: Naples

August, 1575

Anna took a moment to drink in the sun, marvelling, not for the first time at just how much sun there was here, and the smell of the sea and everything else that came with it. She loved Naples, she truly did, and she was beginning to think she preferred it more than Madrid. She looked at her husband and saw that he was far more relaxed than he normally was and smiled.

Carlos looked at her then and returned her smile, causing her heart to flutter as if they were still newlyweds. “What makes you smile?” He asked, they weren’t speaking German here, but instead speaking Castilian, the language of the court in Madrid, and the language Carlos had said they should speak so that his father’s spies couldn’t report back everything that was said.

“You, us, this.” Anna said spreading her hands out wide. “It is so peaceful here.”

“Indeed, it is.” Carlos replied. “Such a change to the chaos of Madrid.”

Anna felt her smile widen, but then it lessened as she said. “The only thing missing is our children.” The King had insisted that their children remain in Madrid, under his supervision. What supervision that might be she did not know, but they had reluctantly agreed.

Carlos nodded. “It won’t be too long until we see them again.” Anna nodded. She knew that. They were to spend the next two months in Naples and then return to Madrid and give the King a report on everything.

On that note, Anna found herself saying. “You know I heard from the Countess that the governor here has been sleeping his way around with various important ladies, to get them to convince their husbands to acquiesce to the demands of Madrid.”

She had found such a thing scandalous, but from his expression, clearly Carlos did not. “I had heard the same. It seems the governor puts more value in his appendages than actually using his mind to achieve something.”

Anna found herself laughing then. “Do you think the King knows?”

Carlos snorted. “Definitely not. He’d have the man hung if he knew.”

“How does he get away with it?” Anna asked. She had met Antoine the viceroy of Naples and he was not the most impressive figures. She could not imagine what any of the ladies here found so impressive about him.

“He has a charming smile and is confident.” Carlos said simply. “Such a thing goes a long way.” With that, her husband began fiddling with the paper before him, a sign that he didn’t want to talk about that.

Anna sighed, her husband had his insecurities, like she did, but they always seemed to be nagging at him. Making him think he was less than what he was. Not for the first time she wondered just what he’d been taught about himself and how it differed from her own siblings’ upbringing. Deciding to take the topic to something else that she knew he could be confident in, Anna asked. “What do you make of the King betrothing Isabella to the Duke of Modena?”

Anna had been somewhat shocked when she’d heard about the betrothal, after all Isabella was so pretty and smart, and the Duke of Modena was rumoured to be an idiot. He’d definitely not had any children from his previous wives. Carlos sighed. “I do not agree with it. I think Isabella could do so much better. Modena is an old man, and he has had no child by either of his previous wives or any mistress. He is infertile no doubt. He will leave Isabella miserable.”

“Who would you rather she marry?” Anna asked. She knew that they were Habsburgs and therefore could not marry some mere Duke unless it was for political gain.

“Matthias would be a decent marriage as any.” Carlos said. “The man seems smart, and he and Isabella seemed to get on well when he was here visiting.” Anna smiled at that, her brother had been deeply besotted by Isabella, she knew.

“Where would you have them live though?” Anna asked. “Matthias has no domain of his own.”

“Give them the Netherlands.” Carlos said simply. “Isabella has the mind to be able to keep it under control. And they would be used to a woman ruling them, that’s what our aunt has been doing after all.”

Anna thought on that, it made sense, she supposed. Matthias had gushed to her about the Netherlands when he had come to Madrid a few years ago. He would like it there, she thought. “And what about Catherine?” She asked then, referring to her husband’s younger sister.

“Marry her to Britain to end the tension there.” Carlos said. “I think Father knows that’s the right choice, but he is being stubborn about it.”

Anna laughed. “I suppose so.”

“But enough about that,” Carlos said then, taking her hand. “Come let us explore the city some more.”

Anna smiled. “I would like that.” She let her husband pull her to her feet and as she walked with him out of their room and through the hallway, she couldn’t help but think that perhaps she might ask to stay here for a little while longer.

Chapter 143: A Difficult Day

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 143: A Difficult Duty

November, 1575

Jane rubbed at her eyes, the pain in her head was starting to go away. What had caused it she didn’t know, but she did know that the medicine that the Doctor had given her was beginning to work. She looked at her husband and smiled. After the tension of him going to France and ignoring her letters, he had come back and they had managed to slowly work things out together, putting the pieces back in place. It was good, she did not know what she would do if he took a mistress. Truly she didn’t want to think about it. James looked up at her and she found herself asking. “Has there been any word from Spain?” She knew her husband had been trying to end the dispute with the Spanish King for some time, albeit unsuccessfully, though a recent mission led by Cecil’s son had seemingly proven fruitful.

“I believe so.” James replied. “King Philip has sent a letter offering to lift the embargo on our goods entering the Netherlands and Spain.”

“That’s good.” Jane said, but then she saw her husband’s expression and asked. “What does he want in return?”

“He wants to betroth his daughter Infanta Catherine to our son.” James said.

Almost immediately, Jane knew that this marriage offer was not meant in good faith. “We cannot agree to that. James is betrothed to Princess Jane of Denmark. If we broke that betrothal with Denmark for Spain what sort of message would that send?”

“I know.” James replied.

“We deliberately pushed our son toward his cousin because she comes from a Protestant family, a family who have more than helped cover the loss of the embargo of the Netherlands. If we simply drop them for Spain, all the hard work that has been put in before will be for naught.” Jane said.

“I know.” James said.

“So, what are you going to do?” Jane demanded.

“I have put the proposal to the council.” James said. “I am awaiting their thoughts on the matter, but I already know that Cecil is against the marriage. He argued much the same as you did, believing it would spit in the face of a valued ally. Dudley, however, is very much in favour of the marriage, believing it will put more pressure on the French.”

“Dudley wants to go to war again. We both know that. He and Condé have become good friends.” Jane said. She did not know why her husband continued to allow that French Prince to remain at court, but he did, and so she abided by it.

“I know.” James said.

“What do you want?” Jane asked her husband. Ultimately, she and everyone else could debate the merits of this until they were blue from the cold, but it was her husband’s final decision.

Her husband said nothing for a time. Since coming back from France he had become a lot slower to voice his views, more measured, and perhaps a bit more hesitant. He had not told her all of what he had seen during the war, but she knew it had changed him. She had heard his nightmares often enough. “I want peace with Spain, but I am not willing to pay the price that Philip is demanding. We cannot abandon Denmark for this, especially not when we have so thoroughly tried to discredit Rome and the Catholic church. Not yet anyway. If it were another time and the betrothal with Denmark had not already been agreed, perhaps things would be different.”

Jane nodded, relaxing slightly, knowing that her husband wasn’t about to change tack completely. “So, what will you do?”

“I will make a counter offer.” James said. “Our daughter Katherine to his son Philip, with them being given the lordship of the Netherlands in return.”

Jane did not know how she felt about that. She knew that Parliament would be more likely to agree to such a marriage due to the presence of their three sons and Robert, but still. “And do you think he will agree?”

James sighed. “Then we will have to keep the aggression against him up. However, I believe he will accept. Our spies in Madrid say that there is pressure on him to lessen the sanctions against us.”

Jane took her husband’s hand then. “Do what you think is right. You will have my support.”

James smiled. “Thank you.”

Chapter 144: Dudley's Desire

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 144: Dudley’s Desire

April, 1576

Robert shifted slightly. He was well aware that the conversation he was about to have could be considered as treason, but he also knew that it was one that needed to be had. His rooms in St James Palace were spacious, even more so now that his wife had gone with the Queen to Whitehall for the preparation of the opening of Parliament. The King had also gone to Whitehall, but had left his second son the Duke of York and Albany behind in St James to act as custodian. The Royal Duke preferred to spend his time writing and discussing things with the Earl of Pembroke and one Mary Sidney, a woman who was quite beautiful and a fierce intellect.

Robert cleared his mind of that thought and then turned to look at the gentlemen in his room. “Your Grace, my Prince, we all know what has happened to bring us together.” Robert said looking at the Duke of Norfolk and the Prince of Condé. “The King’s rejection of the Spanish marriage proposal and the current deadlock between the King and King Philip means that we are left at a junction of uncertainty.” He spoke in French for the benefit of Condé, knowing that the man even after all this time here did not speak very good English.

“Indeed,” the Duke of Norfolk said. “The King’s rejection of the Spanish proposal is unfortunate, though his counter proposal is one that should be well considered by King Philip if he does not wish to come across a fool.”

“I do not think he will accept.” Condé said. “King Philip is known for being a devout Catholic, he would not want a heretic’s daughter as a wife for his son.”

“Then he is a greater fool than we had thought.” Robert said. He was beginning to wonder how these Kings managed to retain so much power when they acted like complete fools most of the time. “I can understand the King’s rejection of the Spanish marriage. It would not do well to alienate Denmark. But King Philip has no reason to reject our Princess for his son.”

The Duke of Norfolk, who had recently come into his title after his father’s death, spoke clearly then. “King Philip is a proud man, as our friend has said. He will no doubt want some sort of powerful Catholic marriage for his second son. Especially if that boy is to become Lord of the Netherlands. However, the Dutch estates will no doubt wish to have someone who is closer to their father serving as their new sovereign’s wife. That is something we could play on, with the ambassador.”

“I agree.” Robert said. He had met the Spanish ambassador twice, once under the King’s orders to deliver the proposal for Princess Katherine, and then secondly in secret to reinforce this. “The Spanish ambassador holds the Queen of Spain’s ear, as he has said many times. Surely the King of Spain will listen to her.” He did not know exactly what relations were like between the King and Queen of Spain, but if they were anything like the relations between the King and Queen of Great Britain, then perhaps this would work.

Condé’s impatience got the better of him then and he said. “Enough of that. We can spend until the daylight breaks through the clouds wondering about Spain. What are we going to do about France?”

Robert looked at the other man and asked. “What news have you received?” Condé might have been called a traitor by the King of France, but he was still the senior claimant to the throne of France after the King’s son and brother.

Condé smiled in response. “The King continues to grow madder with every passing month. He executed some one hundred persons earlier this month. His wife is the only one who can keep him calm and she is showing signs of fading away. The King’s son is kept far away from him, and the King spends most of his time in a state of paranoia. His brother is the one doing the ruling.”

“So, France is ripe?” Robert asked.

“Yes. There are troubles in Gascony following the Spanish invasion there, there is trouble in Brittany, and there is trouble near the border with the Netherlands.” Condé said. “All it needs is a spark.”

“And what would you suggest?” Robert asked.

“I would have suggested an invasion, but the King will not do that. Therefore, I think our best solution would be to have funding given to rebels within France and then for us poke and prod the King through missives from various sources and then step back.” Condé said.

Dudley shared a look with Norfolk. It was a simple plan, but one that would require a lot of work. “And you are sure that you have the contacts to pull it off?” Robert asked.

“Yes.” Condé said. “Everyone is growing tired of the King.”

“Then I will speak with His Majesty before the opening of Parliament and see what I can do.” Robert said, thinking as he did so, that he might be able to spin this to the King. Just about.

Chapter 145: Another Painful Day

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 145: Another Painful Day

September, 1576

Henri, Duke of Anjou shifted slightly, then looked at the ministers gathered alongside him and asked. “What is the position of the King?”

Francois de Montmorency, Grand Chamberlain of France sighed. “The King is resting now, Your Royal Highness. The doctors gave him some sort of medication which they claim will put him to sleep for the next few days.”

Henri nodded, it was unfortunate that this was needed, but he knew his brother was not in a fit state to do anything. The man had been ranting and raving about something or the other for the past year and a half already. “You suspended the order for the execution of those artists, didn’t you?” He asked looking at the Lord Chancellor.

“I did, Your Royal Highness. They were most relieved.” The Lord Chancellor responded.

“Good.” Henri said. “We cannot afford another outrage like what happened earlier this year.” Earlier this year his brother had for some reason been convinced that the artists of Rouen were plotting against him and had therefore ordered them all arrested and then executed, without trial. Naturally the people had been outraged and Henri had had to intervene through force, as his brother had been unable to move after giving the order.

“I have sent them to Brittany as you requested, Your Royal Highness. They agreed they would remain there for the time being.” The Lord Chancellor said.

“Good.” Henri replied. “They will be away from the chaos and the scheming for now.” He could not afford another rash of incidents such as that. And these artists had invited the wrath of the King themselves with their provocative paintings.

“If I might ask, Your Royal Highness, what are you going to do about the Queen and the Dauphin?” The Lord Chancellor asked. “Is it safe for them to remain in Paris, given the current state of the King?”

Henri sighed. “They are the only thing that is preventing the King from embarking on a further descent into madness.” He looked around the room and said. “We have all seen how the King calms down when the Queen is near. And the thought that his son is also close by has helped keep him calm and relaxed.” He took a swig of wine and then continued. “I admit, it is not the best thing to do. But I cannot think of anything else that can be done.” He took another swig of wine and then decided to change the topic. “Now, have the Spanish done as they said they would?”

After long negotiations, Henri had finally managed to convince the Spanish to leave Gascony and Burgundy alone, but it had required a large payment, one that Henri knew would cause trouble later. “They have, Your Royal Highness.” Came the response from the Duke of Guise who was a rival to Montmorency. “They left the last town in Gascony two days ago, and the Spanish troops under the command of the Prince of Orange have since left and disbanded.”

“Good.” Henri said. “We will no doubt need to figure out a way of keeping the Spanish away from any more bids for pressure.” He knew why King Philip had invaded, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t try something else.

“As of now, there is nobody of the right age or prosperity within the Spanish camp that would justify a marriage, Your Royal Highness.” Came the response.

Henri nodded. “Though the King of Portugal does have a brother who is of an age with our sister Margaret, that might be a good marriage to make, and it would help ease the tensions with Spain.”

It was a short-term fix, Henri knew, but they needed something. And he needed to get Margaret out of France, she had already taken up with one of mother’s old assistants, and that was causing more scandal that he could bear. “I shall consider it properly, Your Royal Highness.” Guise replied.

“Good.” Henri said. “And what of marriages for the Dauphin?”

“The only one who seems serious about it is Her Highness the Grand Duchess of Tuscany for her daughter Maria, Your Royal Highness.” Guise said.

Henri nodded, that didn’t surprise him. he imagined Elisabeth was aiming for some Habsburg or the other for her other daughter. “Very well, is there anyone else?”

“No, Sire.” Guise said.

“Very well. Send out inquiries as to whether anyone else would be interested in an alliance, and instruct the ambassador that we wish to marry our sister Margaret to Portugal.” Henri commanded.

“At once, Sire.” Guise replied.

Chapter 146: A New Princess

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 146: A New Princess

December, 1576

Jane of Denmark now Princess of Wales marvelled once more at the differences between her new home and Denmark. In Denmark, they were in complete darkness for most of the morning and only got a few hours of sunlight, which made the people grumpy and unwilling to talk much. But here in Britain, the people smiled and talked, despite the rain and the cold and the damp. Jane was beginning to find that she preferred it here in Britain than in Denmark. Though that might also have something to do with her husband. James, Prince of Wales was a kind man, when he smiled she felt as if the whole world was reflected in his smile, and he always listened to her. he didn’t make her feel like a silly little girl, unlike some of the other men who had courted her. And so, she was happy with him and with their relationship.

They were currently in Lochmaeben Palace, the home of her husband and her uncle, Robert Duke of Annandale. The Duke had departed for Lennox with his wife a few days ago, leaving them in charge of the palace. It was a nice place, serene and quiet, with some bustle as people came to see them, but nothing else. She looked at her husband who was sat opposite her and said. “I’d quite like to explore the forest today, if that is okay with you, James?” Her husband had asked that she refer to him by his first name shortly after they had met for the first time, before their official marriage. She had replied that if that was what he wanted, that he should do the same for her.

“Certainly. There is something in the forests that I want you to see as well.” James replied.

“And what is that?” She asked intrigued.

“It’s a surprise, I won’t ruin it for you.” James said smiling.

Jane laughed. “Now you’ve just raised my interest.”

“Good.” James replied. “Though there are a few things we will need to do before we can go out riding.”

Jane tried to suppress a sigh, she didn’t mind having formal duties to do, but she found that because her husband was such a perfectionist and wanted to do everything to a high standard, that often what should take an hour would usually take longer. “What do we need to do?” She asked.

“We need to meet with a few of the sheriffs, they want to discuss some matter or the other, and then there’s the winter ball that we must arrange before we return to London.” James said.

“What do the sheriffs want to speak with me for?” Jane asked. She had met these Scottish sheriffs and found them to be quite brutish, unlike the sheriffs she had met in England who were far more courteous to her. She thought the Scottish sheriffs did not think that she as a woman had much of a brain, let alone knew more about their role than they did.

“Well, it’s actually just one sheriff.” James conceded. “The Sheriff of Annandale. He asked specifically for you to be in attendance today. Says that you gave him an idea.”

“Oh?” Jane said surprised, the Sheriff of Annandale was a kind man, somewhat different to the others she supposed.

“Yes, it seems whatever you said to him has given him quite the idea.” James said. “He’ll be here shortly after we’re done with breakfast.”

Jane nodded, knowing that she would need to focus then before she could truly do anything else. “Very well then.”

As if he could sense her slightly discomfort, James added. “I promise it won’t take too long. I want to show you the surprise as keenly as you want to see it.”

Jane smiled. “Very well.”

Her husband smiled back in response and they fell into a pleasant silence as they finished up their breakfast, just before the servants came to take the food away, Jane asked. “Wasn’t the Duchess of Annandale supposed to be the one organising the winter ball?”

A look crossed her husband’s face then. “She was. But as with most everything else, the Duchess found it beneath her.”

Jane wanted to sigh, but she decided not to. The Duchess had been kind to her, even if her methods were somewhat off putting. “So, we’re doing it?”

“Yes, though I promise it won’t take too long. There are only a few things that need to be agreed on. Things that need a lady’s touch.” James said.

Jane nodded. “Very well then.”

The servants took their plates away, and as Jane rose to clean her mouth before meeting the Sheriff, she suspected that perhaps her husband wanted to do something with her in the forest, if he was so determined to get everything done and dusted quickly. She felt something like heat stir within her at the thought and had to fight back a blush. She had to act properly, and not like some little girl, which she was not anymore.

Chapter 147: A Portuguese Quandary

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 147: A Portuguese Quandary

April, 1577

Joao looked at the papers before him and then deciding that he had already done as much reading from them as he could, spoke. “We know that things are going backwards and forwards between Spain and France, however, we truly believe that we must agree to this marriage that France offers, simply to act as a counter balance with Spain.” It was true, he had known for some time that if they kept allying with Spain eventually they would become little more than a Spanish puppet, and he would not allow that.

“Of course, Sire.” Replied the Duke of Braganza who was someone Joao trusted. “And with the Spanish and French having finally confirmed their peace, I do not think that King Felipe will find much to object to.”

“How secure is their peace?” Joao asked. He remembered his father’s complaints when he was growing up of the French and Spanish reaching peace agreements only to break them later on down the line.

“Very secure. King Felipe has decided to focus on internal reform and the French are trying to keep their entire Kingdom together.” Braganza said.

“What about the issue of the King of France?” Eduardo, Duke of Guimares asked. “The man is rumoured to be so completely unstable that he is kept under lock and key in a room away from the main residence in Paris. What if his sister has inherited the same sort of issues?”

Joao thought on that, he had worried about that as well and therefore could understand where his cousin was coming from, but still. “We have not heard of any concerns regarding the Princess’ sanity. The only concerns we have heard of is the rumour that she has taken up with one of her brother’s favourites.” Indeed, he had gotten the feeling that the British ambassador might have spread that rumour so it would reach him.

“Do you think that is true?” Eduardo asked. “If it is, well we all know that Pedro thinks of such things.”

Joao’s eyes narrowed. His brother Pedro was a deeply devout man who was still a virgin as far as Joao knew. He had not taken a mistress or a lover, and as such, Joao was not sure what to do if the rumours were true about the Princess. “Pedro will do what is required of him.”

At this juncture, his son Sebastian spoke up. “Pedro might need reassurances though. We all know what he is like. Perhaps uncle Enrique could make a visit to Paris and ensure that the Princess is not doing anything wrong.”

Sometimes Joao was surprised at his son, the reminder that he was no longer a child was firmly implanted now, but still. “Yes,” Joao looked at his uncle, the Cardinal Enrique and said to him. “You will venture to Paris before the month is out and ensure that everything is in order.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Enrique replied.

Deciding that this matter was decided upon, Joao turned his attention to another matter. Looking squarely at the Duke of Braganza he asked. “What news was there from India?”

The Duke of Braganza who served as his secretary for foreign affairs took one moment to look through the letter and then said. “The Indian Emperor Akbar has mounted another campaign to try and take Goa, Sire. It seems he is convinced he needs Goa to complete the subjugation of the lands around it.”

“And none of the entreaties that we have made have worked?” Joao asked surprised. When this had last been a problem they had raised the bribery payment amount and the Emperor had stayed in Delhi.

“No, Sire.” Braganza said. “I think it might have something to do with the pressure the Emperor is under, but I am not sure. However, the garrison in Goa is allying with the southern powers and is preparing for a proper battle.”

“How likely are they to succeed?” Joao asked.

Braganza shrugged. “The Emperor is known to have the strongest army in India. But the southern powers know the terrain around their lands better than he does.”

“And it will take too much time for us to send reinforcements?” Joao asked though he already knew the answer to that.

“Unfortunately so, Sire.” Braganza said.

Joao sighed. “Then we had best hope they are doing all that can be done.”

Chapter 148: A Dying Emperor

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 148: A Dying Emperor

October, 1577

Maximillian knew he didn’t have long left to live. His body was fraying, and blood regularly came out of places it wasn’t supposed to. Still, there was one last great thing he had to do, and that was speak with the young man before him. His eldest surviving son Ernest, his successor and the current King of the Romans. Ernest was slightly shorter than Maximillian was, but he carried himself well, and most importantly he had children. Two daughters and a son. There would be a struggle perhaps after Maximillian died, for his grandson was still a babe, but he was confident that his son would manage just fine.

“Tell me of the council meeting.” Maximillian commanded. He had not been able to attend meetings for the past few months due to his illness, and had therefore delegated responsibility to his son.

“Uncle Ferdinand continues to insist that he be responsible for the management of Tyrol and not have to share it with Matthias or even Albert.” Ernest said.

“And you do not agree with him?” Maximillian asked.

“I think he is being blinded by the fact that he refuses to marry, but also refuses to allow anyone else a chance to marry. He continually flirts with one of the noble’s daughters and has led them into thinking that he will marry the girl, when he has no intention of doing so.” Ernest commented.

Maximillian sighed. His brother had long been someone who had displayed the potential to achieve great things, but something within him stopped him from doing so. He usually sat there and allowed others to do the work for him or he was ruled by his mistresses. It seemed this was another example of that. “We don’t want Matthias in Tyrol; he can reside in Bohemia as we intended. Albert can head to Tyrol; Ferdinand has always gotten on well with him.”

Ernest nodded. “Very well, but who would you have him marry?”

Maximillian knew that his wife would want Catherine Michelle of Spain as a bride for their son, but he also knew that his brother by marriage would never agree to that. “Who are the choices?” He asked instead.

“The French and the Portuguese have married Margaret of Valois to Prince Pedro, so she is not available.” Ernest said. “Anna Maria of Baden is an option; she is of the right age for Albert.”

Maximillian considered this, there truly were a lack of suitable brides. He supposed that having a tie to Baden through this marriage would not hurt. “Send the proposal forward, and inform Ferdinand that when he departs for Tyrol next, Albert shall be accompanying him.”

“Yes, Sire.” Ernest said.

Maximillian nodded, then decided to turn his attention to another subject his son would have to deal with. “What of Hungary, has there been any word from the south?” Hungary a constant thorn in his side since the day he ascended the throne. He had outlived the challenger to his throne, but the Ottomans remained there.

“The Sultan is currently waging a war against the Persians, Sire.” Ernest said. “Those of the Hungarian nobility who sided with him last time are now fighting alongside him in his war. If we played our cards right, we could convince some of the nobility who oppose Ottoman control to change sides.”

Maximillian thought on that and then replied. “Consider the finances before making any definitive moves. Hungarian nobles are not as quick to remember their faith as one might think.”

Ernest nodded his acceptance of this. “There was another matter I wanted to talk about, Sire.” His son said then.

“And what was that?” Maximillian asked, he could feel the pain in his chest growing, he knew that another fit would wrack his body soon enough.

“The countering of the heresy that is present in the rest of the Empire. How would you recommend I go about doing that?” Ernest asked.

Not for the first-time Maximillian regretted sending Ernest to Spain to be raised instead of keeping him in Vienna. He took a breath and then said. “You cannot counter it. If you do so there will be war within the Empire. A war that will destroy everything that I and your grandfather worked to build.”

“So, I am just meant to allow it to sit there and do nothing?” Ernest demanded.

“Yes!” Maximillian said. “If you want to have an empire there to leave for your son, you will. Listen to me, the reformation has taken a toll on the Empire, the only thing to do now is show tolerance and bend the Princes to your will through other means.”

“What other means?” Ernest asked.

“Tolerance, and decrees which show that you will be a kind and generous ruler, but one who will rule with an iron fist against those who go against him.” Maximillian said.

Ernest looked at him in defeat. “Very well, Sire.”

Maximillian took his son’s hand and said. “You have a long road ahead of you, but you will manage. Listen to your councillors and heed them, but always trust your judgement.”

Chapter 149: A New Lord

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 149: A New Lord

April, 1578

William Cecil, Baron Burghley bowed lowed before the King and then took the chair that was offered to him. “You wished to see me, Sire?”

“Yes.” The King replied, William had noticed how as time went by the King increasingly took little time to get to the heart of the matter, whilst his wife tended to go around in circles to confuse you. “You have served us loyally throughout our reign, and as such we wished to reward you. We had thought and thought about what to give you, and decided that the only way to show our gratitude for what you have done was to give you a raise in the peerage.”

William was surprised by this, he had thought perhaps a promotion in office, but then he was already Lord High Treasurer and Secretary of State, so where else could he go? The King handed him a document sealed with the Royal Seal. “Inside you will find our declaration raising you to the position of Earl of Exeter with the inheritance due to your male line.” The King said. “The peerage is considered within both England and Great Britain.”

William looked at the King and then at the document he now held in his hand and he did not know what to say. Eventually he managed to get out. “Thank you, Your Majesty, you honour me.”

The King waved a hand and said. “Now, there was another matter we wished to discuss with you, and that matter pertains to the Prince of Condé.”

William nodded, he had expected this. He knew the King despised Condé and truth be told so did he. The man was a braggart and a fool, whose only good quality seemed to be in the military. He had after all helped put down a small rising in Cornwall which had sprung up out of nowhere. “You wish to see him gone, Sire?” William asked.

“We do.” The King said. “We see no point in paying for him or his brother. They are doing nothing but sitting at court demanding something that is not in our interests. We would be better served sending them back to France.”

The King was a grown man, but sometimes he displayed the air of petulance better fitting a child. “Sire, with all due respect, sending Condé and his brother back to France would be their death sentence, and it would reflect poorly on Your Majesty.”

“And him and his brother sitting here taking a pension from us, and agitating for a war with the French when we are at peace with them does not?” The King asked.

William sighed, he knew that the King had a point, but still there was the public relations aspect of it all. He knew there was a way to make the King see sense, but he had to phrase it carefully. “Sire, Condé and his brother are nuisances yes, but they are also Huguenots, they share more in common with the people of this great Kingdom than the French do. If you send them away, the people will wonder why God’s chosen one on this Earth is refusing to respect the sheep that has strayed from the flock, and leaving them to the wolves.” He knew it was an odd image to use, but he could tell from the way the King’s posture had changed that it had worked.

“We supposed that keeping them for now works for us. Should they continue to kick up a fuss though, we will have them exiled.” The King said.

William bowed his head. “Of course, Sire. That is your prerogative.”

The King seemed satisfied with that, and William fully expected to be dismissed now, there was a new session of Parliament that needed attending after all, but the King then opened his mouth once more. “Our son the Duke of York and Albany has expressed a desire to marry Mary Sidney.”

William hesitated here. Sidney came from a family who were devoted to the cause of the King and the Brittanic faith, but she was not a high noble, and well, there was something about this that didn’t sit right with the King. “His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales has a son, Sire and Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales is pregnant once more, so the succession is secure in that sense. And there is a lack of suitable foreign princesses for the Duke of York and Albany to marry.”

“We know this, William, and yet something about this marriage does not sit right with us.” The King replied. “Mary is a good girl, a smart girl, and she makes our son laugh and happy, but she is not even a member of the high nobility.”

“Perhaps not, Sire.” William said suddenly warming up to the idea of Sidney being Duchess of York and Albany. “But her mother has served as a lady of the bedchamber to Her Majesty Queen Jane for many years now, and her uncles are the Earls of Warwick and Leicester respectively. It would not be amiss to allow the marriage.”

William could tell the King was getting closer to accepting the marriage. “We suppose it would also placate Dudley and allow him to accept that we shall not be going to war with France.”

“Exactly, Sire. It would keep him onside, and it would also ensure that someone such as Sidney whose brother has already demonstrated such great literary talent can be used for the crown’s purposes.” William said.

The King seemed to be considering it seriously now, for he then said. “Very well, we shall agree to give our consent on this matter.”

Cecil smiled, he would have to thank his son for arranging a meeting between the Earl of Pembroke and Mary de Vere, daughter of the Earl of Oxford. That meeting had led a marriage last year which had now proven to be quite fruitful. “Very good, Sire.” Cecil replied, the King dismissed him with a wave of his hand.