Flower O'Scotland

Duke of Lancaster could work as well. Edward IV turned it into a Duchy for the reigning monarch, to keep it out of Lancastrian hands in the Wars of the Roses, but given Luis is a descendant of John of Gaunt, I could see Mary granting it to him as her husband instead....

VVD0D95

Banned
Duke of Lancaster could work as well. Edward IV turned it into a Duchy for the reigning monarch, to keep it out of Lancastrian hands in the Wars of the Roses, but given Luis is a descendant of John of Gaunt, I could see Mary granting it to him as her husband instead....
Do you think she’d be opposed to giving him the king consort thing then?

Mary personally? No. Mary's parliament, on the other hand? You know how xenophobic the English could be at the time..
No evidence at this time England was any different in attitudes to other European nations in regard to not wanting foreign rulers. A fear of being used as a cash cow or cannon fodder for Portugal would officially drive their thinking ( unofficially more to do with fears for their own personnel power/wealth/status )

VVD0D95

Banned
No evidence at this time England was any different in attitudes to other European nations in regard to not wanting foreign rulers. A fear of being used as a cash cow or cannon fodder for Portugal would officially drive their thinking ( unofficially more to do with fears for their own personnel power/wealth/status )
This is true which I guess as falcon said duke of Bedford or Lancaster is the title the.

This is true which I guess as falcon said duke of Bedford or Lancaster is the title the.
No, he will be King Luis of England... pretty impossible who England will insult him, specially as he is just the brother of the King and not the heir of Portugal...

I disagree. Mary needs to secure her own power before she worries about Luis. It's bad enough she's half-Spanish and has been out of the country for a while. Making her husband King would not endear her to the English.

A Dukedom - a Royal one like Lancaster, York or Bedford - is fine, as is the style of Grace or Highness. The Kingship is not.

Jane Grey didn't make Guilford King IOTL. Mary doesn't have to make Luis King either. In fact, I would strongly suggest she doesn't.

You think so?
Yes. England has little to fear in giving the royal title to Luis (in what place he is in the succession line of Portugal right now? Aka how many direct discendants still alive has John III) as unlike OTL Felipe he is neither the King or the heir of another Kingdom (and in any case Portugal is not Spain). Insulting Queen Mary’s husband who has royal blood, is a descendant of John of Gaunt and has very powerful relatives would be a bad move

I disagree. Mary needs to secure her own power before she worries about Luis. It's bad enough she's half-Spanish and has been out of the country for a while. Making her husband King would not endear her to the English.

A Dukedom - a Royal one like Lancaster, York or Bedford - is fine, as is the style of Grace or Highness. The Kingship is not.

Jane Grey didn't make Guilford King IOTL. Mary doesn't have to make Luis King either. In fact, I would strongly suggest she doesn't.
No, is not. Guilford was a simple nobleman, Luis is a royal prince who bring a very useful alliance if England play well his cards.

I'm on Falcon's side her. Luis can be duke of Lancaster instead. Mary needs to play her cards correctly and not end up like Mary Stuart.
Exactly. Do you think who Luis’ relatives in Portugal, Spain and Austria will take lightly the unnecessary insult of the English parliament to their relative? Because denying to Luis the title of King Consort would be insulting him...

I'm on Falcon's side here. Luis can be duke of Lancaster instead. Mary needs to play her cards correctly and not end up like Mary Stuart.

Thank you, Blue. Using a modern analogy, after all, Prince Philip isn't King. He wasn't even made a Prince of the United Kingdom until after Charles and Anne were born, IIRC. And George of Denmark wasn't King for Anne either. Nor Albert for Victoria. None of which caused a diplomatic incident, as far as I recall. Mary would just be asking for trouble crowning Luis King alongside her. And Parliament would recognise that, even if she didn't.

I think the title of Duke of Lancaster can be a good one for Luis. It's a symbolic one for the Tudors. Her first focus should be gathering the support of the people and gathering the english nobles. And have a son or two!