Flight of the Adler von Lübeck

270px-Adler_von_L%C3%BCbeck.jpg

Flight of the Adler von Lübeck

Anno Domini 1568 , October 1st, the Free Hanseatic City of Lübeck.

"This here ladies and gentlemen is the Adler von Lübeck[1], the largest and most advanced warship ever built." Spoke Heinrich Sudermann[2], the Syndic of the Hanseatic League.

"With a length of 78,30 meters and an armament of 138 cannons it is the first war galleon to grace the Baltic and North seas." He spoke empathically, "It is the one of its kind weapon that we shall use to regain control of the Baltic and North Sea trade. There is nothing in any ocean of Europe or the world itself to match it."

"It most certainly appears... rare large and aggressive a weapon." Spoke Jacob van Vlaanderen, the representative of the Dutch city of Bruges, "And we are certain that this ship could solve our problems with the dissident cities that are leaving the League?" He inquired. Whilst it was only polite fiction that the Dutch were anymore a part of the League it was still polite to let them spy on the Leagues affairs in public. The very thought of that nauseating worm looking at his price warship made Heinrich nearly grit his teeth. However he forced himself to give his best smile. He would need that rat soon enough.

"Oh we have no intention of bringing the ship to attack the rats leaving a sinking ship." The new voice belonged to a man dressed in the newly remodeled League naval uniform. Consisting of black wool with silver highlights and a charming hat, Captain Ferdinand Brandt was an impressive sight. Tall with light brown hair and green eyes one could quite easily say that he made the uniform look better than the uniform did him. Originally born in the Electorate of Brandenburg, he had immigrated to Lübeck in search for work as a brewer, but not having found it he had ended up in the tiny navy of the League and soon after as one of its top captains.

"Then whom would you bring it out against?" Jacob van Vlaanderen spoke again questioningly, clearly not understanding what the captain was insinuating.

"To whomever the Syndic and by extension the League would wish us." Ferdinand smiled at the Dutchman enigmatically. That smile and the meaning behind them was enough to make Heinrich smile, for real this time. Anyone who could at first meeting detect Jacob van Vlaanderen to be a self-serving weasel and a spy was at least a very good judge of character.

"We are indeed grateful for your service Captain." Heinrich spoke, "How goes your recruitment for her crew?"

"Quite well, I've managed to gather the three hundred or so men needed to sail this beast." Ferdinand spoke as he waved his hat at the massive ship which was to take her maiden voyage in five days time, "With the aid of the League armies I have managed to gather an additional six hundred marines to serve as her security and possible landing party." Ferdinand politely nodded to Joseph Candle, the English commander of the Lübeckan (and by extension most of the Leagues) military arm.

"Six hundred? By Jove!" Jacob spoke face almost going pale, "What does a ship, even one as large as this need with a complement such as that?"

"Maybe we want to avoid paying the Sound Toll? And it really is closer to Six hundred and fifty." Ferdinand jested, causing the Danish representative in the back to mutter something in his native tongue. It most likely wasn't complimentary.

Before the Dutchman could continue with questions, Joseph Candle interrupted to him, speaking heavily accented German, "One thing my friend, I was glad to fulfill your requirement for the men and the weapons, but what I couldn't figure out was why you wanted so many muskets rather than arquebus? Surely if you intend to board and capture enemy vessels it is better to be quick on the reloading time. "

"Well my beloved English friend, that would insinuate that I was going to try and capture anything. I for one intend to sink every son of a bitch that comes between this ship and her intended target." Ferdinand spoke with a tone of finality that caused more than a few nervous glances from the assembled representatives whom were starting to understand why the Syndic had chosen to petition this man as the captain for this warship.
---------------
"So you are clear on your mission and its purpose?" Heinrich Suddermann asked the future captain and emissary of the League.

"Clear on the mission, but the purpose is far above my pay grade." Ferdinand replied jovially. Whatever else could be said for the man he took a certain twisted pleasure in not knowing the full story so to speak, "I'll sail to Sweden and speak with this new King John the Third[3] and give him your letter and negotiate the terms."

Heinrich, a man of 48 couldn't, but help feel some paternal affection for the roguish captain. Undoubtedly he had graduated at the top of the candidates for the captaincy of the Adler von Lübeck, but his manner would've kept him from it in any other navy. Thankfully for him (and maybe for the League itself) the Hanseatic League was in such a position that it had no alternative, but take the men best suited for the task and damn the specifics such as bad table manners. Even as a small smile was tugging at the corner of his lips he had to try and look like the Syndic in charge of the Leagues diplomatic affairs should. Namely very grim and serious.
Perhaps the stern glare worked even with his crossed eyes, but Ferdinand stood a bit straight before speaking in a more serious and respectful tone.

"Herr Syndic, my mission is to travel to Stockholm and negotiate with the newly crowned Monarch of Sweden, John the Third on the possibilities of an alliance between the Free City of Lübeck and by extension the entire Hanseatic League with the Kingdom of Sweden. In exchange for our support we request their assistance in claiming Holstein from Denmark. During the Alliance we shall help the Swedes gain control of the Kattergat and Skåne as well as any of the isles they may wish to claim."

"Make it clear to his most Cunning Majesty that we are starting to muster our regiments and estimate we can get ten thousand infantry, a thousand cavalry and several regiments of artillery ready to march into Holstein, but this will have to wait until the spring. Until we are certain of our hold on Holstein the army will stay there. We may be able to spare several regiments of infantry for their land war, but most of our support will come in the form of ships. " Heinrich explained, though he doubted the captain needed to have explained the capabilities of the League such as they were.

"Herr Syndic, the opening of a second front should be enough." Captain Ferdinand opinioned, "The Danes have a better trained army than Sweden, but they are all currently in Skåne and Norway, either trying to hold onto their holdings or attack the Swedish ones. If our army manages to take Kiel and the other towns in Holstein their King and nobility are likely to panic and transfer the troops from there, allowing the Swedes to gain decisive victories."

"Isn't that above your pay-grade captain?" Heinrich asked with a studious look. The question caused Captain Ferdinand to break into another smile.
"Maybe, but I'll be damned if I let it get in the way."

"Very well. Go with god Captain, the Hanseatic League is counting on you to succeed in this mission. If you do not... the League is doomed to a slow death."

"For the League!" Ferdinand saluted.

"For the League!" The Syndic echoed him.
---------
[1] Adler von Lübeck was the first war galleon ever built in the Baltic though some say it's the first true war galleon in the world, but that is most likely propaganda. A massive vessel it was built only to disassembled in 1588 without having seen a single battle.

[2] With the Hanseatic League in dire straits they created the position of the Syndic. Heinrich Suddermann was elected to hold the position permanently. Though cross eyed he clearly knew his business since he managed to formalize relations with the remaining Hansa members.

[3] John III of Sweden was the second son of Gustaf Vasa and Margaret Leijonhufvud. In 1568 he staged a coup d'etat and claimed the throne from his brother, King Eric.

So this is a new kind of TL/Story I've been working on. I've always been fascinated by the Adler von Lübeck and how such a magnificent vessel never really saw combat. In this story I will see if I can reverse the fortunes of the slowly dying Hanseatic League and bring them back into their former glory. :)

Feedback, good or bad is always appreciated.

270px-Adler_von_L%C3%BCbeck.jpg

Anno Domini 1568, October 9th, the island of Fehnmann off of the coast of Lübeck

It was the day of days, Ferdinand decided. The wind was blowing east and the Adler von Lübeck was ready. With a smile he waits for the Quartermaster Martin Nowak to arrive. Giving a small nod to his captain, Martin speaks.

"All hands aboar', Captain. The ship is ready to sail on your orders.

"Excellent! Raise anchor and prepare to head for Danzig."

Turning to face the crew, Martin roars ,"Alrigh' you scurvy seadogs! Lift anchor and raise the sails. We're heading off!"

The Adler von Lübeck had been anchored just off of Fenhmann isle on the coast of Lübeck, waiting for a suitable wind to pick up so that the massive war galleon could set sail. Now, finally they had it and the flagship of the League could set sail. Their first goal would be Danzig, a diversionary measure... nothing more, from there they would head north-west to Stockholm where he would be holding his meeting with his royal majesty King John III. All in all he expected this to go as smoothly as it could.

Turning to face the deck again, Ferdinand marveled at the crew he had picked. Many of them were rushing to their posts, and even though only a few were bothered to wear their uniforms (if they had any), they still seemed to work in unison with each other. The Officer of the Watch was already starting his rounds and the marines were moving crisply. Ferdinand shook his head at them, knowing that in less than a week those same marines would be below deck getting drunk rather than guarding. Thankfully the trip to Stockholm was supposed to take only four to six days if they had the wind.

Lifting the newsletter again, Ferdinand read the last weeks news slowly. Though having basic ability to read thanks to Father Joseph having taught him in Berlin, Ferdinand was still far from the most literate people in Europe. Most of the news was old, the Spanish were once again trouncing the Dutch in battles such as Jemmingen[1] and the French were once again at arms with each other over religious matters[2]. Price of grain was going up again just before winter! Shocking, truly! However at the end was the latest bit of news, William I of Orange[3] had apparently had enough of waiting for the Spanish to attack and had mustered an army to invade the Southern Netherlands.

That and nothing else caused Ferdinand to chuckle. He full and well knew what that rat Jacob von Vlaanderen would be demanding after the Adler returned to Lübeck. That it would be sent into the Netherlands to help fight off the Spanish. Thankfully the Syndic could probably turn his request down far more politely than Ferdinand whom would just laugh in his face. The Dutch were already getting far too big for their breeches and if they expected the League to send their prize warship to fight in some foreign war they were damned wrong. For the past five or so years the League had been fighting a war on the side of the Danes with absolutely no gains. It was time to change sides and see if the League could actually gain some land. If it did... changes would come. Changes that might rock the balance of power in the Holy Roman Empire.

"Captain." It was Martin again, the Pole had clearly finished preparing the ship and they were well underway, "We're underway, shoul' reach speed of five knots within the hour."

"Very well, I'll be in my quarters for now. Send the Major to see me after a while." Ferdinand grimaced, he hated the man, but Bauer was the major he had picked and the colonel had would have to deal with. It wasn't that the man was bad at his job, quite the opposite. The Prussian could force even green recruits to march into enemy fire and death, but the man had a tendency to be extremely rude and a drunk. A violent drunk.

Moving down the stairs, Ferdinand noted that not a man saluted. They nodded. Good, overt shows of respect slowed down work when on a ship. It was better for the respect to be subtle, as long as they did their jobs and obeyed Ferdinand thought they could spit as he passed. Thankfully he had picked the crew on basis of their personalities and capabilities. Some were from his former command on the Charlotte von Danzig. He could recognize those men and smiles were exchanged. It was quite a journey from a sloop to the greatest vessel in the Baltic.

Opening the door and entering his cabin, Ferdinand ran a roving glance over it. The first thing that always surprised him was how damned BIG it was. Having gotten used to the cramped quarters he had in the Charlotte he couldn't quite understand how the cabin was almost the size of his small home in Lübeck. Much of it was dominated by the oak desk that faced to the door and held most of his papers and even a few books splayed open.
On the walls was a variety of maps both large and small, with the smallest detailing the coast around Denmark and the largest holding an image of entire Europe. There were rumours of these Americas being discovered, but they were of no use to the League as of yet, and they had to concentrate on what mattered. For now, that was the Baltic and the seas surrounding Denmark which needed to be brought back under the control of the League.

Tracing the journey from Lübeck to Stockholm, Ferdinand went through the cover story in his mind. The Adler von Lübeck was on her maiden voyage which included passing Danzig and then heading to the coast of Swedish Estonia. They were meant to use the opportunity to flaunt their power to the Novgorodians and ensure that they knew what sort of an insult they had done by forcing the Kontor there to be closed. It was suitably petty for the Danes and the Poles to accept it, especially coming from the weakened Hansa. Of course it was also a bold faced lie, an excuse for the ship to get to Stockholm where they would turn the course of history forever.

Prestige and Power for the League, Glory for the Adler von Lübeck and perhaps even a promotion for Ferdinand himself was on the table. If this succeeded all those would be possible. If the mission failed the ship would soon be decommissioned or put to run some ridiculous errands in Iberia. The very idea of this magnificent warship doing some rounds in Iberia made Ferdinand snort. Never going to happen.

Sitting on his comfortable chair, Ferdinand poured himself a cup of wine and sipping it began to consider what exactly he should be saying to his most royal backstabbing majesty to bring him on the side of the League for the war. The fact that the League had so far assisted the Danes probably wouldn't help. However if the King was sensible he would see the advantages of such an alliance. Right now the war had ground into a standstill, but it would take only the slightest weight to tilt it to another side.

The Hansa would be that weight. For good or ill the League needed to put their weight behind one of the sides to get something out of it. If they had to they would back the Danes and attempt to take control of Gotland and some other Swedish holdings, but backing them against the Danes was much preferable. Holstein was in addition to being a rich province, right next to Lübeck and Hamburg making it an ideal location to start anew. Start anew with what? Well, that was above his pay grade.

The knock on his door whilst closer to a, "I'm coming in now" than a, "Are you there?" was still enough to warn Ferdinand of the Prussians arrival. Quickly picking up his cup and the wine bottle he hid them under his desk just as the door opened revealing the intimidating Prussian. Standing no taller than 5'6 he'd have been laughed out of any battlefield had he not killed more than dozen men with his barehands.

"You wanted to see me?" Bauer made even that innocent question sound like a statement and an insult with that rough accent. Originally from the duchy of Prussia in Poland, the man had been banished after some nameless crime and had eventually wound up in Lübeck as a soldier. By the virtue of surviving battle and being intimidating enough to scare anyone he had eventually become an officer and been Ferdinands first choice for the commander of hi marine contingent. A choice he was sure he'd come to regret with time.

"Yes." Ferdinand pointedly did not order the man to sit down, wanting to keep the discussion as short as possible ,"We've both heard the rumours about certain... troublemakers in the crew. Troublemakers whom have resulted in casualties during casual brawls, especially when drunk." Ferdinand didn't mention anyone by name, but from Bauers expression it was clear the man knew whom was being referred to: himself.

"As such I am limiting the supply of rum to one cup per man until we've reached our target. I want the men on their best behaviour for this mission."

"Now, now... the men will most certainly not lik.." Bauer began, face reddening.

"This is the maiden voyage of the flagship of the League, Major. Most of the men are giddy just over being here, and those that aren't... well it's your responsibility to maintain order on this ship, is it not?"

"Well yes, but..."

"Excellent! I trust you will ensure the men are if not happy, at least orderly on this trip then. You may go major."

Somewhat surprised at how this "discussion" had gone, Bauer slowly made his way out of the cabin clearly trying to think of something to say, but not succeeding very well. As the door closed Ferdinand kicked his feet on the table and smiled in relaxation. He was off to a good start.
------
October 16th, just outside Stockholm
"So that's Stockholm." Ferdinand muttered looking at the small collection of houses, a church and what the Swedes were calling a palace. Though they were still ways off, it was quite easy to spot the city and the small fleet of ships in the harbour which were already in almost panic trying to rally.

"Raise the white flag. We're here to negotiate, not attack them." He shouted and the crew moved to obey.

"Doesn't look like much now does it?" Martin asked, "A small town, nothing I'd be calling a city."

"But imagine it Martin, one day that humble town will be a sprawling metropolis to rival Florence and dominate all of the Baltic." Ferdinand spoke dramatically.

The two men turned to look at each other and then burst out into laughter.
---------------------------------------
[1] Battle of Jemmigen was an attempt by Louis of Nassau to capture the city of Groningen. He was driven away by Fernando Álvares de Toledo and later defeated in a battle in Jemmingen.

[2] A reference to the beginning of the Third War of Religion in France.

[3] Also known as William the Silent, one of the most notable leaders of the Netherlands.

So there you have the second chapter. I hope you are enjoying these, please do comment if you like it, or think I can improve something. :)

Anno Domini 1568 , October 1st, the Free Hanseatic City of Lübeck.

"This here ladies and gentlemen is the Adler von Lübeck[1], the largest and most advanced warship ever built." Spoke Heinrich Sudermann[2], the Syndic of the Hanseatic League.

"With a length of 78,30 meters ...
Was the metric system introduced centuries earlier ITTL or is this just the classic example of the erroneous use of metric measures in stories set a long time prior to their introduction IOTL happening all too often in novels and motion pictures.

Was the metric system introduced centuries earlier ITTL or is this just the classic example of the erroneous use of metric measures in stories set a long time prior to their introduction IOTL happening all too often in novels and motion pictures.

Would you prefer an arbitrary and probably incomprehensible to us number in a foot probably not the same as the one we have?

Having said that, I suppose it might have helped atmosphere better to have the period measurement followed by a footnote.

And having said that, we definitely have too few Hansa timelines. This is looking good.

Would you prefer an arbitrary and probably incomprehensible to us number in a foot probably not the same as the one we have?
Having said that, I suppose it might have helped atmosphere better to have the period measurement followed by a footnote.
And having said that, we definitely have too few Hansa timelines. This is looking good.

Laszlo pretty much answered your question how I would've. However if you wish I shall put the future measurements in the older way?

"Yes." Ferdinand pointedly did not order the man to sit down, wanting to keep the discussion as short as possible ,"We've both heard the rumours about certain... troublemakers in the crew. Troublemakers whom have resulted in casualties during casual brawls, especially when drunk." Ferdinand didn't mention anyone by name, but from Bauers expression it was clear the man knew whom was being referred to: himself.

"As such I am limiting the supply of rum to one cup per man until we've reached our target. I want the men on their best behaviour for this mission."

"Now, now... the men will most certainly not lik.." Bauer began, face reddening.

"This is the maiden voyage of the flagship of the League, Major. Most of the men are giddy just over being here, and those that aren't... well it's your responsibility to maintain order on this ship, is it not?"

"Well yes, but..."

"Excellent! I trust you will ensure the men are if not happy, at least orderly on this trip then. You may go major."

Somewhat surprised at how this "discussion" had gone, Bauer slowly made his way out of the cabin clearly trying to think of something to say, but not succeeding very well. As the door closed Ferdinand kicked his feet on the table and smiled in relaxation. He was off to a good start.
------
October 16th, just outside Stockholm
"So that's Stockholm." Ferdinand muttered looking at the small collection of houses, a church and what the Swedes were calling a palace. Though they were still ways off, it was quite easy to spot the city and the small fleet of ships in the harbour which were already in almost panic trying to rally.

"Raise the white flag. We're here to negotiate, not attack them." He shouted and the crew moved to obey.

"Doesn't look like much now does it?" Martin asked, "A small town, nothing I'd be calling a city."

"But imagine it Martin, one day that humble town will be a sprawling metropolis to rival Florence and dominate all of the Baltic." Ferdinand spoke dramatically.

The two men turned to look at each other and then burst out into laughter.

I don't think rum (made from sugar cane in America) had made its way over to Northern Europe at the time - the Swedes made brännvin and the Russians vodka of rye, the Germans made schnaps from fruit. Rhenian wine, German beer and Polish mead was also very popular around the Baltic.

Stockholm was actually pretty well fortified at the time - cannon towers overlooked the straits you needed to pass to get to the actual city, and large wooden stakes had been driven into the water to force any ship to sail under those very guns.

Picture of Stockholm 1570, from the north (top) and south (bottom). Note the cannon tower in the extreme right of the top picture.

Also, to get to Stockholm, you need to sail through the Archipelago, something which is hard without a local pilot (but doable, if the crew has sailed there before and is very skilled), however, you will be detected and reported when doing so, long before you get within spotting distance of Stockholm itself.

Map of the archipelago from 1830.
This map clearly shows the problems of sailing into Stockholm. It takes modern naval vessels several hours to clear the Archipelago today, I suspect that it would take more than a day for a vessel 1568.

Just outside Stockholm is Blasieholmen, then the main naval yard and base of the Swedish navy, you would expect at least some of the big ships used in the Nordic Seven Years' War to be anchored there - like HMS Sankt Erik (90 guns) HMS Svenska Hektor (87 guns), HMS Finska Svan (82 guns), HMS Elefant (65 guns). Unfortunately, HMS Mars (107 guns) was lost in battle 1564.

Gotland was Danish from 1361 to 1645, so it cannot be a Swedish holding to take control of if the Hansa backed Denmark as in your post.

Interesting timeline, tell me if you need any help on Sweden at the time. I will be following this. :)

Last edited:
Laszlo pretty much answered your question how I would've. However if you wish I shall put the future measurements in the older way?

Whov would get the difference between a ship's pound, a market pound and a Livonian pound? I'd say whenever it ,matters, stick to modern measurements. Otherwise, you'll need extensive footnotes. But also, keep in mind that exact measurements didn't matter as much to the Hanseatic era as they do to ours. I doubt anyone knew exactly how long the Adler was. To the nearest foot, yes, but not down to the centimetre.

I don't think rum (made from sugar cane in America) had made its way over to Northern Europe at the time - the Swedes made brännvin and the Russians vodka of rye, the Germans made schnaps from fruit. Rhenian wine, German beer and Polish mead was also very popular around the Baltic.

Stockholm was actually pretty well fortified at the time - cannon towers overlooked the straits you needed to pass to get to the actual city, and large wooden stakes had been driven into the water to force any ship to sail under those very guns.

Picture of Stockholm 1570, from the north (top) and south (bottom). Note the cannon tower in the extreme right of the top picture.

Also, to get to Stockholm, you need to sail through the Archipelago, something which is hard without a local pilot (but doable, if the crew has sailed there before and is very skilled), however, you will be detected and reported when doing so, long before you get within spotting distance of Stockholm itself.

Map of the archipelago from 1830.
This map clearly shows the problems of sailing into Stockholm. It takes modern naval vessels several hours to clear the Archipelago today, I suspect that it would take more than a day for a vessel 1568.

Just outside Stockholm is Blasieholmen, then the main naval yard and base of the Swedish navy, you would expect at least some of the big ships used in the Nordic Seven Years' War to be anchored there - like HMS Sankt Erik (90 guns) HMS Svenska Hektor (87 guns), HMS Finska Svan (82 guns), HMS Elefant (65 guns). Unfortunately, HMS Mars (107 guns) was lost in battle 1564.

Gotland was Danish from 1361 to 1645, so it cannot be a Swedish holding to take control of if the Hansa backed Denmark as in your post.

Interesting timeline, tell me if you need any help on Sweden at the time. I will be following this. :)

Wow! Thanks for all these sources. Have been trying to find a proper image of Stockholm for the next chapter and so forth. You are probably right about rum, but it was the closest idea I could come up with that wasn't Koskenkorva. :D (We Finns are a bit weird)

Right now the biggest problem I am having is finding out about fleet sizes and what kind of ships everyone is fielding. The battle accounts on the 7 Year war are pretty vague and it's always "Seven ships, ten ships, whatever ships" without any actual detail or what kind of ships were involved. It's a big difference between a galley like ship to a sailing warship after all, even if both have guns on them.

Whov would get the difference between a ship's pound, a market pound and a Livonian pound? I'd say whenever it ,matters, stick to modern measurements. Otherwise, you'll need extensive footnotes. But also, keep in mind that exact measurements didn't matter as much to the Hanseatic era as they do to ours. I doubt anyone knew exactly how long the Adler was. To the nearest foot, yes, but not down to the centimetre.

You do make a good point. I figure I'll try to find out "older" measurements for fluffs sake, but if not I'll go with the modern measurements.

Koskenkorva is the same thing as brännvin and vodka. Have him drink schnaps, and things should be fine. ;)

If you're Finnish you can probably read Swedish - this list should be readable by most people anyway, the names, dates and number of guns is what you are after anyway.

List of Swedish sailing warships with gun armament and year taken into service.

Most fleets in this war included a combination of about 6-15 warships of 35-107 guns and the rest being armed merchantmen. All were sailing vessels, though, no galleys or rowing vessels.

Koskenkorva is the same thing as brännvin and vodka. Have him drink schnaps, and things should be fine. ;)

If you're Finnish you can probably read Swedish - this list should be readable by most people anyway, the names, dates and number of guns is what you are after anyway.

List of Swedish sailing warships with gun armament and year taken into service.

Most fleets in this war included a combination of about 6-15 warships of 35-107 guns and the rest being armed merchantmen. All were sailing vessels, though, no galleys or rowing vessels.

Yeah, this is fine. Thanks. :D My Swedish is a bit rusty, but should be able to figure things out of here.

Wow! Thanks for all these sources. Have been trying to find a proper image of Stockholm for the next chapter and so forth. You are probably right about rum, but it was the closest idea I could come up with that wasn't Koskenkorva. :D (We Finns are a bit weird)

The typical ration for sailors on seagoing Hansa ships was Seebier, a "red" (highly roasted barley malt), heavily hopped and strong beer that was designed to last reasonable amounts of time. Branntwein (brenntwyn, brantwyn, bernet wyn, the dialect versions are many) was known, but not yet issued regularly. Officers and men purchased it privately. It was not normally aged or flavoured, and in the Hanseatic cities it was often produced from grain mash, though technically that was supposed to be illegal in many places.

A rich man might take some wine (Rhenish, Malvasier or Romania) on a journey, or pack a cask of Einbecker Bier (the most famous luxury brand). Hamburg beer was popular in many export markets, but Lübeck is probably too close for it to be interesting.

For a festive occasion, wine would be the most likely since under Lübeck law, deals of all kinds were closed over a wyncop, a symbolic purchase and drink of wine.

The typical ration for sailors on seagoing Hansa ships was Seebier, a "red" (highly roasted barley malt), heavily hopped and strong beer that was designed to last reasonable amounts of time. Branntwein (brenntwyn, brantwyn, bernet wyn, the dialect versions are many) was known, but not yet issued regularly. Officers and men purchased it privately. It was not normally aged or flavoured, and in the Hanseatic cities it was often produced from grain mash, though technically that was supposed to be illegal in many places.

A rich man might take some wine (Rhenish, Malvasier or Romania) on a journey, or pack a cask of Einbecker Bier (the most famous luxury brand). Hamburg beer was popular in many export markets, but Lübeck is probably too close for it to be interesting.

For a festive occasion, wine would be the most likely since under Lübeck law, deals of all kinds were closed over a wyncop, a symbolic purchase and drink of wine.

Hmm, I might have to write a party to the story just so I can use all that alcohol. :cool: Thanks for the info, will change the rum into something more "local" in the next update.

Also, I doubt that 'scurvy dogs' would be used at this point. Especially in the Baltic. Scurvy develops after long travels without fresh food, and I doubt the Hansa ships had any voyages that long.

Also, I doubt that 'scurvy dogs' would be used at this point. Especially in the Baltic. Scurvy develops after long travels without fresh food, and I doubt the Hansa ships had any voyages that long.

Scurvy was familiar enough as a seasonal disease, not one associated with seafaring. But the translation here would of necessity have to be freehand. Middle Low German's vocabulary of cursewords is underexplored.

That reminds me of a Robin Hood movie, in which Robin Hood demands that a target be placed further away to prove his superior archery skills, to a distance of around 91 1/2 metres (obviously around 100 yards in the original) or a western movie where a cowboy says to another that they will have to drive cattle over a distance of approximately 1.609 kilometres (obviously approximately 1.000 miles in the original). This is what generally happens when scriptwriters metrify historical measures using only a calculator and not their good sense.

sthlm.jpg

Anno Domini 1568, October 17th, Stockholm Palace

Ferdinands leather boots cobbled on the fine surface of the hall leading to the throne room in Stockholm Palace. Holding his hat in the crook of his arm, and having been disarmed of all weapons with the exception of his sword (mostly ceremonial), he was being lead to the large double doors at the end of the hall by a pair of Halberdiers and a clerk of some sorts. The entire procedure reeked of the sort of pomp that royalty typically wanted to show, and Ferdinand could feel his opinion of the Swedes already lowering. From the rumours that concerned the Swedes one could imagine a fierce warlike people whom were more interested in winning the war against the Danes, but if this was the reality they might well lose. Not because they were any worse, but because the Danes had even more pomp in their palaces.

As the small procession arrived at the double doors, it came to a halt and the clerk turned to Ferdinand. A mousey man with a whisk of thin hair, he kept looking at Ferdinand with the kind of look that one gives at something squashed under their boot.

"Wait here, I shall see if his royal highness has the time to negotiate with foreign... dignitaries today." The man spoke excellent German, but his tone was something that Ferdinand didn't like at all. He had been pleasantly surprised by the Swedish naval power, they had quickly managed to muster three ships to oppose the Adler, and afterwards the captains had been polite enough, but this man was grating his nerves. Giving a muted nod, Ferdinand followed the man enter the throne room before taking a deep breath and looking at the two halberdiers that had settled on each side of the door.

"Hell of a day, eh?"

His comment was met with a pair of blank gazes. The pair clearly didn't understand German.

"Fantastic." Ferdinand commented, wondering if God was laughing at him from the heavens right now. He'd figured that at some point the Maker would get tired of playing with him and put the miniature him away for a while, but that day was not today.

Turning to study at the hall itself, Ferdinand spotted a painting on the wall and after a moments consideration moved to study it. It pictured a stout bearded man clad in black. Below a placard read "Gustavus I, Rex Sueciae". Though the words Ferdinand knew in Latin could be counted with the fingers of one hand, it was clear enough. Gustaf I, King of Sweden. The father of the current monarch undoubtedly. Whilst no student of history, even Ferdinand had heard of Gustaf I's conquest of Stockholm and the deal he made with the Hanseatic cities to get in. In exchange for the Lübeckan negotiators brokering a treaty with the Danish defenders, the Hanseatic Cities no longer had to pay tolls for Swedish trade. A fine deal for all.

Hearing the door creak open, Ferdinand chose not to turn around. Let that damned pencil pusher clear his throat or something. The gentle whiffing of shoes on the floor could be heard, until they stopped several paces behind Ferdinand for a moment, before they almost hesitantly moved next to him. The gentle whiff of perfume alarmed Ferdinand of the fact that he was not in fact standing next to a clerk. Before he could fully turn though, a soft voice spoke somewhat accented German.

"He liked to compare himself to Moses, you know? He saw himself as a nigh' prophetic leader whom was destined to lead the chosen people, Swedes in this case to liberate themselves from the yoke of a tyrannical ruler."

"I did not know that." Ferdinand responded, "The way I always hear the Danes I work with describe him is as if the man was some sort of horrible combination of Niccoló Machiavelli and the Roman Emperor Nero." The comment caused a soft chuckle from the figure next to him.

"He may have appeared like that. He did have quite the temper, but he also loved his children and was quite willing to negotiate with anyone and everyone." The voice hesitated for a moment before continuing, "I am Sophia."

Turning Ferdinand gave his best bow and kissed her offered hand with a smile, "A pleasure Madame, I am Captain Ferdinand of the Adler von Lübeck." As he raised his gaze to meet Sophias, Ferdinand felt his smile falter. She was beautiful. Pale skin with a pair of dark eyes that seemed to look into your very soul, but it was not her beauty that caused him to falter. It was the look in those eyes, the sadness, the anger... here was someone whom was not truly happy with her lot in life.

"A pleasure, Captain." Sophia smiled slightly, "Am I to understand that you are here to negotiate with His Royal Majesty?"

Finally realizing he was still holding her hand, Ferdinand regretfully let go and straightened himself.

"I am." Though the reply was short and even rude, Ferdinand couldn't help it, "My apologies Madame, but in the... tense political situation I am not allowed to impart any information to anyone, but his Majesty the King." To Ferdinands surprise rather than be angry or upset, Sophia merely laughed again.

"Oh trust me Captain, I am quite aware of the... nature of politics between nations. In fact I am fast approaching apathy in the department of trust between them."

Just as Ferdinand was about to inquire on her reasoning, the clerk finally arrived and to his surprise did a bow.

"Your highness, your husband requests your presence in your chambers." Ferdinand didn't know which surprised him more; the "Your Highness" part, or the fact that her smile was wiped off of her face with speed that approached unnatural.

"And Captain, his Majesty will see you now." Strangely now that Ferdinand was in the presence of royalty, the clerk spoke with a much more respectful tone.

"I am afraid I must go now, Captain." Sophia spoke, before starting to turn around. Whilst his first instinct was to reach out and grab her, Ferdinand pushed the instinct down.

"Your Highness, before you go... Might I know your name?"

Turning around, Sophia spoke, her chin rising slightly with pride, "I am Princess Sophia Gustavsdotter Vasa. Also the Duchess of Saxe-Lauenburg." Whilst the first part was spoken with pride, the second... was not.

"I hope we meet again Captain. Good day."

"Good day your highness." Ferdinand murmured as he bowed again, before rising to meet the clerks eye.

"So, let us meet this king of yours."
------------------
Another day, another update. Next up will be the meeting with King John III. :cool: