DocBen

Banned
This is my futuristic Empire of Greater China flag.
chinese_empire_flag.png

DocBen

Banned
What is the reasoning behind including all of this on one flag? If it is set in the future, why the Qing flag as well?
This flag displays the territories that are the three regions of the Empire of Greater China. The Qing flag is included at the top because they consider themselves as the heirs of the old Qing empire despite having no relationship to the dynasty. It is not a monarchy. It is a cyberpunk society where the government has a traditional Asian aesthetic in terms of art, architecture, and clothing, but also uses high technology very heavily. The government is ruled by a committee of wise philosophers and scientists.
The design of the flag is inspired by Yuan Shikai's flag.

Last edited:
I generally prefer vector graphics programs like Inkscape or Illustrator for flags since you do want it to be crisp regardless of resolution. Inkscape is pretty much free so it's one of the best programs for flag or logo making, imo.

I generally prefer vector graphics programs like Inkscape or Illustrator for flags since you do want it to be crisp regardless of resolution. Inkscape is pretty much free so it's one of the best programs for flag or logo making, imo.
I'd agree for modern Coats of Arms but I think noncrispiness suits flags as it reflects rendering at a distance and moving.

How do you guys make these things? I want to put some flags on my next entry for MOTF but have no idea how to start.
As others have said, it depends how complicated you want your designs to be. For something simple (just stripes maybe with a few stars or similar) then Paint or another simple program is fine. A better bitmap graphics program like paint.net will give you more options and more control over what you do, by letting you use different layers, etc. If you want to resize objects without losing detail, then it's better to use a vector graphics program such as inkscape. (There are other programs, obviously - those are the two I use, but if you use a Mac you might need Gimp instead of paint.net for example.)
You might want to have a look at some of the links in this thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/illustration-tutorials-and-advice-superthread.283049/
If you see a particular flag with a design which interests you, don't be afraid to ask the creator about it - most members on here are happy to help.

Here's a flag of Lotharingia that i made but it still exists.
Its still monarchist, even if most countries are now democratic.
Red stands for Pride, Blue stands for the North Sea, Black stands for the hard times the Lotharingians have been through, and white stands for Peace. The symbols are monarchical symbols of Lotharingia.
Lotharingiamodern.png

06BpIUF.png

A strange twist of fate binds the thrones of Korea and Japan. The resulting nation, 朝日/Asahi (morning sun), is a combination of Korean and Japanese culture. The capital, based on Jeju island, is a truly neutral court - the imperial seat has remained neutral for 200 years, with a blend of the two dialects being the official language which has since spread over the two regions (to varying degrees).

The banner of Asahi shows white with three red stripes (one for Korea, one for unity, and one for Japan) covered by a red sun (the mother goddess Amaterasu) surrounded with a golden glow. The naval flag is much the same, though instead of three red stripes being displayed horizontally, the stripes are dispersed in an X pattern with a line splitting horizontally through the centre.

Last edited: