In other flag news, I'm a finalist for the flag of Galveston, Texas! It would really mean a lot to me if you would vote for my design. Galveston deserves a great flag!

Here's my design:
Not sure if I'm really allowed to vote, not being a resident, but there was nothing stopping me, so I've done so. Having looked at all of them, it came down to either yours (C) or another one (E) and you'll glad to know I think yours is, just, better, so that's the one I put as my first choice. Good luck!*
* You'll probably need it, given how terrible most flags in the USA are! At least there's a chance of there being at least one more good one!

Not sure if I'm really allowed to vote, not being a resident, but there was nothing stopping me, so I've done so. Having looked at all of them, it came down to either yours (C) or another one (E) and you'll glad to know I think yours is, just, better, so that's the one I put as my first choice. Good luck!*
* You'll probably need it, given how terrible most flags in the USA are! At least there's a chance of there being at least one more good one!

My dear @FriendlyGhost I am glad to know we have similar tastes.
I did vote C-E for the first two choices too

Thanks! I figured if they allow submissions from outsiders, then they allow votes from outsiders.

Hey, question?

Imagine Spain in a similar situation with what Italy in WW2. Junior Axis partner. Under Hungary like (or OTL Franco style) dictatorship under the guise of regency. After the war a referendum is held and republic wins. (2nd Spanish Republic with its OTL flag did exist ITTL)

Do you think a return to the 2nd Republic with purple or red-gold-red with no Coat of Arms would be better? I think I am leaning towards readopting the 2nd Republic flag (both in a way similar to Germany 1848-Weimar-BRD with 2ndR-3rdR, also Purple as a major part of flag would be pretty distinct from most other flags) but I would like opinions. (Also an opinion on my Baltic Kingdom post would be helpful)

Piggy backing off this (now that I have a free moment on my computer while my daughter tries to go to sleep), I really wanted a way to represent 7 continents (or even 6). Poking around, I found this website, which has a proposed flag of the planet Earth. Then, I found some variations from reddit. I picked one where the circles were a little closer, so that the center looks a little like a star.

A *very* quick slapdash result:

ChR1LLv.jpg

The blue is the wrong shade and the canton is just a little too wide and doesn't perfectly line up with the stripes, but like I said, slapdash. I like it, but I regret losing the 'stars and stripes' motif. 'Rings and stripes' doesn't flow quite as nicely.

Hey, question?

Imagine Spain in a similar situation with what Italy in WW2. Junior Axis partner. Under Hungary like (or OTL Franco style) dictatorship under the guise of regency. After the war a referendum is held and republic wins. (2nd Spanish Republic with its OTL flag did exist ITTL)

Do you think a return to the 2nd Republic with purple or red-gold-red with no Coat of Arms would be better? I think I am leaning towards readopting the 2nd Republic flag (both in a way similar to Germany 1848-Weimar-BRD with 2ndR-3rdR, also Purple as a major part of flag would be pretty distinct from most other flags) but I would like opinions. (Also an opinion on my Baltic Kingdom post would be helpful)
I think it would probably be the red-gold-red. If the referendum happened under Allied auspices, I don't imagine they would want to harken to an era where Spanish communists and anarchists were at their prime.

Last edited:
Republic of Isimota
いしもた こんへこ・
異島田 共和国

SmNnKjt.png

Welcome to the Republic of Isimota!

Originally inhabited by Polynesians, Isimota was visited long ago by visitors from China. Those visitors brought trade, knowledge, and their writing system - eventually establishing an academy in Nohoa'a Tele (also called "Tan Viu" in Kani/Chinese reading). The islands were invaded by Japan in 1921 and were under Japanese rule until after WW2, when they became a trust territory of the United States. By that point, Hiragana (a Japanese script) had been adapted for use with Isimotan and was already widely used. While the Latin script (also called "Iban" / "英文") was widely promoted by the Americans, it never achieved the same level of local usage as Isimotan Hiragana (also called "Waban" or "和文").

7qfVAW5.png

In 1988, the United States trusteeship held a vote for whether to become a US overseas territory or an independent nation. By a margin of 2%, Isimotans voted for independence. Since then, investment has poured in from Japan, China, and sometimes the Republic of Korea. Isimota's location just to the south of Japan and China has made it a hotspot for tourists from those countries. Japanese and Chinese, alongside English now, are hot languages to learn at the famous Pacific College located in Hala Tele. Japanese tourists need not worry about English proficiency, as all of our regional capitals boast tour guide staff with at least conversational Japanese.

o4Ywjd9.png

In Hala Tele, you can visit the old capital of Isimota! Complete with the original campus of Pacific College built by Chinese Buddhist monks, an old Japanese-era colonial library, and the US-built trusteeship administration building. Nohoa'a Tuai features the old Chief's Palace, the national Sento Shrine dedicated to the country's patrion diety Hoan Ti, and the National History Museum. Uahu Mamao, while much smaller and more remote than the other cities, boasts vast nature reserves and pristine beaches. Enjoy a weekend hike and a romantic mountain retreat, all on one island!

----------------

Side note: I wanted to design an island nation that was a mixture of Polynesian, Chinese, and Japanese cultures, and this was what I came up with. I'm still brainstorming parts, but I thought this was a lot for now.

About the flag: The flag is designed to prominently feature the sun, which is a holdover from Japanese influence of the sun as a signifier of the patron deity. The sun here is yellow, which represents Huan Ti, the patron deity of Isimota. He is a carbon copy of Huang Di, the god from Chinese tradition, but he has been combined with various stories from Polynesian traditions. The five rays of the sun represent the traditional "five islands" (though the counting of five is only traditional and does not actually correspond to five real islands). The white stripe is representative of the horizon and the white beaches of the various islands. The flag was designed post-independence but the five-ray sun was a popular local symbol of Sento ("Way of the Gods", name lifted from Shendao/Shinto, basically local religious traditions).

Last edited:
Piggy backing off this (now that I have a free moment on my computer while my daughter tries to go to sleep), I really wanted a way to represent 7 continents (or even 6). Poking around, I found this website, which has a proposed flag of the planet Earth. Then, I found some variations from reddit. I picked one where the circles were a little closer, so that the center looks a little like a star.

A *very* quick slapdash result:

ChR1LLv.jpg

The blue is the wrong shade and the canton is just a little too wide and doesn't perfectly line up with the stripes, but like I said, slapdash. I like it, but I regret losing the 'stars and stripes' motif. 'Rings and stripes' doesn't flow quite as nicely.
Rings and Ribbons restores the alliteration at least.

Well well well, lookie at what I found on r/Vexillology: someone plagiarized one of my old Rhodesia designs, only editing in the Italian Fascist Eagle.

EDIT: Hell, it might actually be the same fucking guy as last time! Somebody report him for me, I don't have a Reddit account.
I think you might be able to report it without an account. Have a look under the heading 'I do not have a Reddit account. How do I report a content policy violation?' on this page: https://www.reddithelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043514031-Reporting-FAQ

Crosspost from the latest challenge:
Principate of Telmar
The thalassocratic kingdom that rules the western coasts of the Narnian continent takes its name from its coastal capital La Ciuta Santelmar itself named for the Telmarine principle holy figure Saint Elmo. Saint Elmo is held to be the final messenger of God, the Holy King of Kings beyond the Seas; the latter being the reason Telmar's de facto kings merely hold their highest title as Prince.
The castle known as La Rocha Santelmar is said to be constructed by the first Prince Ghilmo who claimed to be the youngest son of Prince Gione of La Rocha del Aten, who directly served the Holy King of Kings, who Telmarine priests decree held Aten/Athene as one of his divine names.
The flag of Telmar is a 3x3 orange and gold check bearing black flames representing St Elmo's Eternal Fire. The beacons present in the lighthouses maintained as seafacing temples by the Telmarine Priesthood are said to originate from these born by the ships of their founders.
The flag is a reconstruction of the original discovered by the Mirazzi Dynasty during renovations of the Rock and said to be based on the Arms of Prince Ghilmo and his father.
The Arms of the 3 major families are similar:
Mirazzi - black eagle over orange and white (later gold) checks
Firenzi - red lys over orange and white checks
Caspiani (current ruling dynasty) - black lion over orange and gold checks

View attachment 618462