Status
Not open for further replies.

Krall

Banned
People's Commonwealth of Britain 2-

(Thought I'd have another go at making it more revolutionary than British, whilst also incorporating England, Scotland and Wales)

I rather like this, though I'm not sure how Scotland and Wales are represented. I notice the stylised Tudor Rose for England - is that a purple thistle in the middle for Scotland?

Hey guys, I'm planning on writhing a timeline in the future where Rommel kicks the nazis out of Germany in a civil war lasting from (1949-idk) but the new German state is still fascist but only under Rommel. (and avid anti nazi and dose not support anti-semetism) got any ideas? Oh and it needs 4 of the same particular symbol in it!

Thanks in advance!
Either this:

800px-Flag_of_North_German_Confederation_%28jack%29.svg.png

or this maybe?

deutschland.png

deutschland.png

1 is the German empire flag and 2 looks a little too much like Norway. Good start though! Plus I need 4 stars, or 4 crosses.. Or some symbol that is on the flag in 4 places

Hey guys, I'm planning on writhing a timeline in the future where Rommel kicks the nazis out of Germany in a civil war lasting from (1949-idk) but the new German state is still fascist but only under Rommel. (and avid anti nazi and dose not support anti-semetism) got any ideas?

Restore the monarchy! Nothing says "conservative" and "reactionary" like a king/emperor. To build upon Lapsed Pacifist...

Oh and it needs 4 of the same particular symbol in it!
Okay, the symbol is "an arm of a cross" and there are 4 of those in this flag!

DE monarchy.png

Last edited:
I rather like this, though I'm not sure how Scotland and Wales are represented. I notice the stylised Tudor Rose for England - is that a purple thistle in the middle for Scotland?

I think each star is supposed to represent a nation. I think the cog that looks a little Tudor rose-ish is just a happy accident.

Mumby was correct here: the Tudor Rose is an accident. I was thinking of how to incorporate it but couldn't think how, so this is a happy accident.

Each star represents a nation and so do the colours:
England- Red
Scotland-White
Wales- Purple

Restore the monarchy! Nothing says "conservative" and "reactionary" like a king/emperor. To build upon Lapsed Pacifist...

Okay, the symbol is "an arm of a cross" and there are 4 of those in this flag!

I do like it... but im not gonna restore the monarchy after 30 years of it being deposed. could you put just a normal german coat of arms in the center?

Oh wow, I did not know that! Maybe I will, idk. I'd still like to see how the flag looks with a normal German coat of arms on it tho

Krall

Banned
Mumby was correct here: the Tudor Rose is an accident. I was thinking of how to incorporate it but couldn't think how, so this is a happy accident.

Each star represents a nation and so do the colours:
England- Red
Scotland-White
Wales- Purple

Ah, I see - though I'm not sure how purple represents Wales. Red for England is obvious, white for Scotland is okay since it's on St. Andrew's Cross, but where does purple for Wales come from?

Switching Scotland and Wales would make more sense to my mind, since Scotland is often represented by a thistle, which is purple. Wales doesn't have a strong association with white, but there is the Prince of Wales's feathers, as well as the colour of leeks.

Ah, I see - though I'm not sure how purple represents Wales. Red for England is obvious, white for Scotland is okay since it's on St. Andrew's Cross, but where does purple for Wales come from?

Switching Scotland and Wales would make more sense to my mind, since Scotland is often represented by a thistle, which is purple. Wales doesn't have a strong association with white, but there is the Prince of Wales's feathers, as well as the colour of leeks.

I explained this a bit earlier in the thread...

Purple was used by British radical groups throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, including the Suffragettes. It was also a colour of Welsh republicanism.

I used it to represent the Welsh on the flag and also republicanism in general. The colour scheme is very underused, sadly.

So there's my reasoning for it. I just can't stand the Chartist flag or the awful red-blue-green tricolour, so I looked for something a bit more appropriate for a revolutionary Britain.

Oh wow, I did not know that! Maybe I will, idk. I'd still like to see how the flag looks with a normal German coat of arms on it tho
The yellow arms was shit on the red-white-black, so I used the black-red-gold, but that doesn't look too well on a Nordic royal/presidential standard without any white, so here's something different.

DE nomonarcy.png

A former member of AH.com helped me with the flag edit for my Ivangorod TL after finding out that we were unintentionally referencing the flag of the Donetsk People's Republic. And so here it is:

flag_of_primorye_by_kyuzoaoi-d7ef76z.png

The original Primorian flag used the OTL Montenegrin eagle, so this version now uses the Russian eagle.

Krall

Banned
I explained this a bit earlier in the thread...

So there's my reasoning for it. I just can't stand the Chartist flag or the awful red-blue-green tricolour, so I looked for something a bit more appropriate for a revolutionary Britain.

Ah, I wasn't aware of its use in Welsh republicanism. :eek: I agree that the red-white-purple tricolour is better than the Chartists' red-white-green - I hadn't heard of a red-blue-green tricolour before, but it sounds hideous!

Ah, I wasn't aware of its use in Welsh republicanism. :eek: I agree that the red-white-purple tricolour is better than the Chartists' red-white-green - I hadn't heard of a red-blue-green tricolour before, but it sounds hideous!

It's not well known as a republican colour, but it should be. It's neither boring nor Hungarian, and is thus much more distinct. :)

And I've seen it used in a few places...

http://writingabitofpoetry.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/up-republic.html

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2330079&postcount=8809

https://www.alternatehistory.com/newtest/attachments/newbritishrepublic-jpg.92367/

Even with fimbriation on the stripes, it just looks strange with all those colours.

Krall

Banned
It's not well known as a republican colour, but it should be. It's neither boring nor Hungarian, and is thus much more distinct. :)

And I've seen it used in a few places...

http://writingabitofpoetry.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/up-republic.html

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2330079&postcount=8809

https://www.alternatehistory.com/newtest/attachments/newbritishrepublic-jpg.92367/

Even with fimbriation on the stripes, it just looks strange with all those colours.

The one with fimbriation looks okay, but it doesn't really seem British to me - more African. Probably because many African flags have similar fimbriation (Kenya, South Africa, Mozambique, etc.). I think red-blue-green might work un-fimbriated, but you'd have to seriously mess with the shades to make it look right, like this:

RGB.png

RGB.png

The one with fimbriation looks okay, but it doesn't really seem British to me - more African. Probably because many African flags have similar fimbriation (Kenya, South Africa, Mozambique, etc.). I think red-blue-green might work un-fimbriated, but you'd have to seriously mess with the shades to make it look right, like this:

View attachment 228671

Yeah, there's a definite African vibe from the fimbriation.

Your flag there looks okay, but it's such a tough colour scheme to work with. Making anything look presentable is a challenge.

Here is a flag of a Monarchical Russia I made. The bottom (purple) stripe represents the Roman Empire (purple being the colour of the roman emperors), the red the Byzantine (red being the colour of the Byzantine monarchs) and the top, white, strip representing the white Tsar of all the Russias!

Flag of the Holy Union.png

Flag of the Holy Union.png

View attachment 228671
Hmmm, it looks like the Chartist flag with a blue filter over it...

Status
Not open for further replies.