Flag Thread IV

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Red Arturoist, Apr 1, 2014.

1. LeinadB93 Just Leinad

Some flag ideas for overseas territories in Hail, Britannia:

Galapagos Islands
    [​IMG]

Saint Andrew and Providence
    [​IMG]

2. The Professor Pontifex Collegii Vexillographiariorum

Tasty. Arms your own making too?

3. LeinadB93 Just Leinad

Galapagos yes, Saint Andew is the OTL coat of arms.

The Professor likes this.
  4. angakkuq Friendly Neighborhood Geek

BRIIIIITS IIIIIN SPAAAACE!

...I'll show myself out...

Odinson likes this.
  5. PauL62 Well-Known Member

A flag of a US San Andres & Providencia Islands:

[​IMG]

6. Dorozhand Queer Maoist

A flag for Trans-Feminist Communism

I took a little inspiration from the flags of Anarcha-Feminism and Queer Anarchism, as well as the flags of Mozambique and the Viet Cong.

maofeminism2.png

A Red-and-Fuchsia United Front

A sickle represents the uncompensated labor of women that forms the basis of society.
    A Kalashnikov represents the use of violent revolution to smash violent patriarchal, colonial, cishet institutions.
    A red star represents the liberation of marginalized women and gender minorities.
    The symbol beneath contains elements representing women, feminist trans and cis men, and a circle of green for NB folk.
    Red represents intersectional social consciousness.
    Fuchsia represents the free expression of the many cultures of women and gender minorities.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  7. frenchiestfries vaporwave is dead, long live vaporwave

(whistles)

Quite the flag. Not sure if I'm proud or disgusted.

TedBacon12 likes this.
  8. Ella Trans Rights!

me

9. Dorozhand Queer Maoist

Flag of the Republic of Leon, formed from the civil war and disintegration of Bourbon Spain during the French Revolutionary Wars, subsequently reabsorbed and recreated twice during the 19th century, and finally restored permanently as part of the Iberian Spring during the 1935-1953 Nationalist War. It is a member of the Union of Iberian States since 1954 and the European Radical League since the Second Republic in 1845. Its military sent troops to the Rhine and Alpine fronts during the war, participating in the destruction of the Greater Polish Empire.

The numbers in the upper left are "9 13 14" and stand for the day, month, and year that the First War of Independence began as reckoned by the French Revolutionary Calendar, which ITTL divides the year into fourteen equal months of 26 days with a leap day every two years on the last month. The revolution began on the 14th day of the 13th month of Year 9 of the French Republic.

the grey border is just to distinguish the white from the background of the board.

Leon Republic border.png

10. Tyche Hand of Providence

Dorozhand likes this.
  11. Dorozhand Queer Maoist

Fixed the band ratios of the Republic of Florida

Floridaflag2.png

Torbald, Filo, Tamara and 10 others like this.
  12. New Britain Mapping New Member

Hello, this is my first post!

I am currently doing a Nordic flag for every country in the world as a project.

This is one of my creations:
    The Nordic Republic of Algeria.png
    The other one is The Irish Nordic Republic Irish Nordic Republic.png

13. Dorozhand Queer Maoist

Altered the hues and the lion a bit:

Leon Republic border less egregious purpure2.png

Flag of the Republic of Leon, formed from the succession war that resulted in the disintegration of Bourbon Spain during the French Revolutionary Conflicts and the brief foundation of the Spanish First Republic. It was subsequently twice reabsorbed and recreated during the 19th century.

The tragedies of the Spanish House of Savoy-

First during 1845 for a brief period after the Carlist absolute monarchy collapsed. The republic fought against both the Carlists the liberal Savoyard monarchy of Ferdinand VIII to regain its independence but was reincorporated into Castile following the defeat of the Leon Uprising.

Again from 1897-1903 during the Bothnian War, a conflict between the United Realms of Scandinavia and the Republic of Russia over Suomi that eventually drew in many other powers fighting proxy wars on fronts from China to chaotic Iberia. Following the breakup of Scandinavia and the independence of Suomi, a Spanish Republic was created with the abdication of King Thomas II of the Spanish House of Savoy. The Republic of Leon was incorporated into it as a federal entity.

The Second Republic lasted until 1915, when a Carlist uprising in the Basque country precipitated its overthrow following an Italo-British military intervention that restored the liberal monarchy of Thomas II in 1917. But with the death of King Thomas in 1923, his son Ferdinand IX became associated with the disastrous war in Morocco and the dictatorship of his military officers, and was eventually overthrown by the communists in 1933, who founded the Third Republic. In 1935, a military coup was launched aimed at creating a nationalist state, but this spun out into a civil war that eventually spread to include much of the world as Nationalist Poland steamrolled across Europe and the communists, liberals and reactionaries all fought back. After the Poles and their Carlist, falangist, and savoyardist collaborators had been driven entirely out of Iberia, the new state raised a few thousand volunteers to be trained in Mexico, who would see action on the Rhine and Alpine fronts during the last phase of the war, participating in the final destruction of the Greater Polish Empire and its sphere.

The Republic of Leon was finally restored permanently as part of the Iberian Spring during the 1935-1953 Nationalist War. It is a member of the Union of Iberian States since 1954 and the European Radical League since the Second Republic in 1845.

The numbers in the upper left are "9 13 14" and stand for the year, month, and day that the First War of Independence began as reckoned by the French Revolutionary Calendar, which ITTL divides the year into fourteen equal months of 26 days with a leap day every two years on the last month. The revolution began on the 14th day of the 13th month of Year 9 of the French Republic.

the grey border is just to distinguish the white from the background of the board.

--------------------------------------------------------

In the 16th century the blazon of the city of Leon within Spain had assumed its modern form: Argent a lion rampant Purpure, langued and armed Gules

The province of Leon had the same arms but with a marquesal coronet, and without a crown on the lion as had been the arms of the old Kingdom of Leon. To this day Leonese regionalists use the Purpurada, or a flag consisting of the shield described above charged on a field of Purpure.

In this alternate timeline the flag associated with the 18th and 19th century Leonese republican separatists (that sprung up in the wake of a continued French Revolution) became a bicolor of purpure and argent or white. The arms charged in the flag come from the lion passant Purpure depicted in the arms attributed for centuries to Alfonso VII. I found its configuration the most attractive and imagined it works as well as anything else as the in-universe inspiration for a republican flag as I could just replace the old crown with a Phrygian cap.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Griffin04, Miner, Bennett and 6 others like this.
  14. Dorozhand Queer Maoist

I could definitely see the last one being used by a fascist/rightist or ultra-catholic Ireland in the 20th century.

Welcome to the board! :biggrin:

15. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

16. Bulldoggus Socially Guelph, Fiscally Ghibelline

Not an ultra-catholic one- there's far too much Orange (the color of the Ulster Protestants) for that.

Dorozhand, Philip and Tamara like this.
  17. Spiritual Sausage Well-Known Member

I made a few flags for the Somali Democratic Republic and I can't decide on which one looks best, so heres them all:
    upload_2019-11-1_12-24-47.png

upload_2019-11-1_12-24-51.png

upload_2019-11-1_12-25-0.png

upload_2019-11-1_12-25-5.png

rzheng, Tamara, UrbanNight and 5 others like this.
  18. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-Trałkaist Donor

Hindustani Person likes this.
  19. Dorozhand Queer Maoist

20. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

Cross-post of my entry to the previous Flag Challenge:
    The next challenge is now up in the Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries thread.