Flag Thread IV

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by SaveAtlacamani, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Ella.is.crazy New England Nationalist

Reminds me of Israel

Me! likes this.
  2. Me! "HJ" -Aron McNoob

born, raised and reside in the state of Michigen
    Communist Israel?

Ella.is.crazy likes this.
  3. Mikeduke324 Nintendo Fan and Cartographer/Vexillologist

Kinda see what you mean.

4. Thande a special man who knows these things Donor

Thanks--there's a link in my sig to the preview thread on here with the first few chapters, the full story is on the SLP site for copyright reasons as they're the ones publishing it.

It's a variant on the OTL SAARC flag - I came up with a different supranational name just because it's harder to make derivative terms based on SAARC, and different colours more obviously derived from the flag of India (SADEC is dominated by India in a more open way than it just being by far the largest and most economically powerful member, the legacy of a world war).

Philip likes this.
  5. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

[​IMG]

Basically I decided to make this just for fun. There is no backstory behind Brazil's flag becoming more sci-fi. I just made this since it would look cool honestly.

So if anyone would like to use this flag for a science fiction or future timeline feel free to use it as long you give me credit.

6. Mikeduke324 Nintendo Fan and Cartographer/Vexillologist

I like it better than Brazil’s real flag.

7. The Professor Pontif of the Guild

What's the reasoning behind the design?

8. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

Hard to say really to be honest. I probably took inspiration behind Civ Beyond Earth, the Matrix and some cyberpunk influence for the futuristic diamond design for Brazil.

9. Spiritual Sausage Well-Known Member

Made a flag for the Republic of Timor-Leste if the UDT had won the civil war in 1975 and thus prevented an Indonesian invasion:
    timor.png

I have no idea what the colors meant on the original flag so they can mean whatever you want

10. GauchoBadger Certified Globgogabgalab

It could also be used for a union between Ukraine and Iran, if it ever happens...

11. markus meecham meechy darko

biopunk brazil, some wakanda type shit

LouisTheGreyFox likes this.
  12. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

ISOT? Vibranium meteor in South America instead of Africa.

Bomster likes this.
  13. The Professor Pontif of the Guild

Crosspost of the latest challenge:
    Edit: comments and queries welcome!

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 2:03 PM
  14. ElectricSheepNo54 Sleeping like a baby while the world burns

A simple flag I made for a project I'm working on. This the flag of the British Arctic Territory and was adopted in 2000. The Territory is an external part of the Federal Republic of Britain and one of two Federation holdings in the Americas, the other, Millsland, comprising of the Falkland Islands and Tierra del Fuego. The current Governor of the Territory is Peter Taptuna (Independent) and the Arctic is represented in the House of Representatives by Jack Anawak of the Alliance Party.

British Arctic Territory.gif

(the coat of arms on the flag is the OTL coat of arms of Nunavut)

LouisTheGreyFox and ETGalaxy like this.
  15. RedBaron223 That Guy...

So, I recently re-watched that Vexiliologoy TED talk, and thought I'd redesign some flags myself, here are 2 designs for 2 Provinces. How'd I do?

alt-flags.png

16. occam Rare endangered conservative

So, I'm trying to design a banner for a nation taking the cultural and geographical role of Great Britain in this universe. Here's one flag idea, but I'm worried it might seem too sci-fi-ish for the typically Renaissance-era setting I'd set works in. Let me post it, explain the symbolism, and ask what you think, if I might.
    VullishFlagPossible.png

The local religion is fairly astrological, despite being reminiscent of the Judeo-Christian tradition. Here, we have the sun and the moon, representing the whole world [which their authority extends to]. The moon is reflected on the surface of the ocean, since this nation has always relied on naval power and always will. The four compass roses in the corners are representative of extending to the four corners of the world, and are also religious symbols not unlike a cross. (There's also been some crossover--heh--between religious iconography and compasses IOTL, of course.)

17. ETGalaxy Long live the King of America!

Nice flag! Care to explain more about the nation it originates from? Is this part of a larger TL?

Roger Redux likes this.
  18. occam Rare endangered conservative

Thanks! It honestly might or might not become part of a larger TL if I decide to flesh in more of the world around it, I just started designing it because I needed a place for a royal character I was writing to rule over. The basic backstory of this nation is fairly British. Disunited tribesmen were easily conquered by the *Romans, but as their Empire fragmented, one particular warlord, stronger and subtler than the rest, undermined and then chased out the last *Roman governor, sort of a combined King Arthur and Vortigern figure as he also defended the country from challengers who moved in afterwards. (His name was Reynard, and you can probably guess from that what his motif was--see also the coat of arms I requested and kindly received for them; and yes, I'm working on the motto.) His family has stayed in power ever since, and although the country has been largely occupied by *Germanic and *Norse settlers, it has never been fully conquered, though its language has shifted, and they eventually absorbed those settlers into their own unique cultural traditions. Well, at least, the part about the same family ruling is what the monarchy says, but their family tree is more of a family pole, they're not really stable, and they get assassinated every so often, so it's hard to tell.

Roger Redux and ETGalaxy like this.
  19. ETGalaxy Long live the King of America!

So I'd assume that this isn't Earth then? I was thinking of a Jewish Roman Empire for some reason.

20. occam Rare endangered conservative

It's not, and while I was thinking of a pantheon for them, that could be an interesting twist if incorporated somehow...hm.