Status
Not open for further replies.
"Liberal Nationalist" is a euphemism for "we hate all the great powers and we just want to be treated as equals."
It's just that "Equality Among Nations" seems more for international cooperation than for promoting their own country.
Since Liberal Nationalism is an actual thing OTL that is about a nonxenophobic nationalism compatible with socially liberal values.

The flag of Oceania, a tight-knit multi national union based primarily in the Indian Ocean and Australasia, consisting of ex-British colonies and old French and Dutch holdings as well. Member states include Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, East Indonesia, Borneo, Singapore, Malaya, the Maldives, Ceylon and a few south Indian colonies. Whilst not a Commonwealth realm, many of its members are and it has extremely close relations with Canada and the European Federation.

The green field represents peace and prosperity, the three stripes represent the three continents it spans, the Southern cross its geographical location and the influence of Australia and New Zealand and finally, the crescent represents the youthful, ascendant nature of the country and unofficially represents the Islamic population of Oceania.
The crescent on green screams "Islamic Country" to me!

EDIT: See the flag of the All India Muslim League

Last edited:
The flags for the Movement for Equality among Nations, a fictional liberal nationalist party.

*Convention is held for the new party*
Speaker: What should we call our party?
Councilwoman: How about World Organization of Movement for Equality among Nations?
Councilman: I have a better idea!

The crescent on green screams "Islamic Country" to me!

I'd concur there. Though I definitely agree with the use of the crescent moon to pay service to the majority Muslim populations of Oceania (if considering Indonesia to be as a whole to be identified with them in this scenario), I only recognized Australia's stars after reading the description, as stars often accompany the crescent moon anyways. It's not particularly distinguishable as the flag of a national union. It'd probably be greatly rejected by Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Ceylon, as it's highly unrepresentative of their memberships.

I'd recommend the addition of a third color should there be an agreeable one, and second piece of symbolism alongside the Crescent that is more identifiable as distinct symbol for those non-Muslim majority nations.

Of course the flag doesn't matter as to how the union will in the end operate, but I just think it'd just make some members of the union irrationally uncomfortable. Nations seem to be especially jumpy when entering multi national organizations, fearful of the possible losses in identity and sovreignity. Being represented by a banner that does not identify with them in any clear manner would cause definite protest, drummed up by isolationalist politicians of the various nations.

I'd concur there. Though I definitely agree with the use of the crescent moon to pay service to the majority Muslim populations of Oceania (if considering Indonesia to be as a whole to be identified with them in this scenario), I only recognized Australia's stars after reading the description, as stars often accompany the crescent moon anyways. It's not particularly distinguishable as the flag of a national union. It'd probably be greatly rejected by Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Ceylon, as it's highly unrepresentative of their memberships.

I'd recommend the addition of a third color should there be an agreeable one, and second piece of symbolism alongside the Crescent that is more identifiable as distinct symbol for those non-Muslim majority nations.

Of course the flag doesn't matter as to how the union will in the end operate, but I just think it'd just make some members of the union irrationally uncomfortable. Nations seem to be especially jumpy when entering multi national organizations, fearful of the possible losses in identity and sovreignity. Being represented by a banner that does not identify with them in any clear manner would cause definite protest, drummed up by isolationalist politicians of the various nations.

It is worth noting that the crescent doesn't actually have Islamic origins, that's just an additional meaning that has been proscripted to it. It's derivative of the Singaporean flag, upon which the crescent represents youth and energy (ie, a moon that is not yet full). I can see the need to add another colour but it's worth pointing out that this is an early-20th century PoD, Green doesn't have the same connotations as OTL in terms of the Islamic world and in general has sort of become the chosen colour of the League of Nations and of Democracy in general.

There are 4 "pillars" in the Alt-Cold War that spawns oceania, the League of Nations, The USA, Japan and the USSR. Green helps to distinguish them and as a third of the islamic world doesn't have independence IOTL, another third are in the Soviet Sphere and thus prominently feature red rather than green or any other colour and finally most islamic countries (Egypt, Arabia, Oman) use the Black-White-Red colour scheme seen on Egypt's OTL flag.

The union is formed in the 60s, some 30 years after the PoD and whilst the southern cross is subtle, I think it'd be recognisable OTL and because its straightened out when compared to the OTL Aussie/Kiwi flags it more clearly can be used as a representation for Christianity as well, balancing out any unintentional islamic connotations.

I will think about adding colour though or changing the shade of green to something less Libya-esque.

On that last note, to quote wikipedia:

"In the later 20th century, the star and crescent have acquired a popular interpretation as a "symbol of Islam",[3] occasionally embraced by Arab nationalism or Islamism in the 1970s to 1980s, but often rejected as erroneous or unfounded by Muslim commentators in more recent times.[4]"

PoD is 1933 so that's butterflied. Looks weird to us but ITTL makes sense. :)

On that last note, to quote wikipedia:

"In the later 20th century, the star and crescent have acquired a popular interpretation as a "symbol of Islam",[3] occasionally embraced by Arab nationalism or Islamism in the 1970s to 1980s, but often rejected as erroneous or unfounded by Muslim commentators in more recent times.[4]"

PoD is 1933 so that's butterflied. Looks weird to us but ITTL makes sense. :)

Now you've got me! Goodness, it's sometimes hard to remember just how much commonly recognized symbolism dates from only a small time ago! Sorry, haha :D

I know about the crescent symbol not being exclusive to Islam and was popularised as such only due to the Ottomans but it was an Islamic symbol prior to the 1930s - note the All India Muslim League banner that Pakistan's flag was based on bore a white star and crescent on a dark green.
I'll also point out its inclusion on the Singaporean flag includes the fact it was an Islamic symbol not just about rebirth etc.

That said lightening the green colour would help and perhaps using the heraldric orientation (points up or down) would help.

X-posting the flag-based preview into the future of my TL Nation On A Hill

Damn I was really hoping I'd get this out sooner, but I when I wasn't able to finish before my move to a new apartment, I knew it'd be a while before I could get this up. This part was a bit more Virginia-centric than I wanted it to be, but realizing I still have both the Second Metacom War and the Bloody Year to cover, I only hinted at Carolina. In fairness, Carolina won't be impacted by butterflies too terribly much for a bit of time, but fear not, they will get their due eventually. As usual, if anyone has any criticisms or concerns on how I'm doing things, I'd love to hear them. I'm not a professional by any means, so any feedback is well appreciated.

Additionally, as a bit of an apology for how long this took, here's something of a preview for the future of the TL via flags:

Mystery3.png

Mystery2.png

Mystery1.png

Mystery4.png

Mystery5.png

I know "maps on flags" is a design choice generally frowned upon here, but this is a flag for a united North America I've been working on for many years.
This is a WIP of the latest revision, so it's a bit plain. I have an older version that maintained the U.S. tradition of "a star for every state/province" but now it looks....busy....crowded. I don't think I'll be going down that path again. The most I may do is add three-to-five/six (depending on whether Honduras/Belize and Panama are independent or part of Mexico in the TL) stars for the founding countries.
The name of the government for this flag (again depending on the TL) is either the Republic of North America or the United States of North America.
RNA-USNA Flag (WIP).png

Flag of the Repubblica Federale Italiana, or Federative Republic of Italy.
I will upload the history when I'll finish the map, for now this is the flag :D

In order (from left to right, up to down)
  • Papal States
  • Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
  • Kingdom of Sardinia
  • Most Serene Republic of Venice
  • Duchy of Milan
  • Grand Duchy of Tuscany
The crown is the Corona Ferrea, the most ancient crown of the Kings of Italy.

UwaULcH.png

And this is the waving flag ;]

OvJKD0F.png

fashbasher

Banned
A few fictional Caribbean states.
HNmdY6F.png

GoFVI99.png

1) The heavily Moravian, ethnically black and Miskito Indian east coast of Nicaragua splits off and becomes a Moravian Hussite theocracy known as the State of Bluefields.
2) The predominantly Javanese areas of Suriname become an independent Javanese state on the Caribbean coast. The colors of the Surinamese flag are inverted to emphasize the Muslim majority of the Commewijne and the star is replaced with a traditional Javanese home.
3) Independent Nassau left the other 1/3 of the Bahamas' population and has begun identifying with the 18th-century Republic of Pirates. Hence all the black and white. If it looks German it's because Nassau is named after a city in Germany.

The Flag of the Crown of France
Whilst it's a simple flag, the Crown of France adopted its current flag following the dissolution of the old empire in 1963. Upon the flag is a red cross, quartered with blue (for France and the mainland territories) and white (for Britannia), hearkening back to St. George and his influence upon the progenitor of the modern French Crown: Henry II & V, King of France and England.

U36vtvr.png

(Well, I had just wanted to try out a Photoshop template for fun, but I think it turned out pretty cool instead lol)

The Flag of the Crown of France
Whilst it's a simple flag, the Crown of France adopted its current flag following the dissolution of the old empire in 1963. Upon the flag is a red cross, quartered with blue (for France and the mainland territories) and white (for Britannia), hearkening back to St. George and his influence upon the progenitor of the modern French Crown: Henry II & V, King of France and England.

A beautiful and elegant Anglo-French Union flag and a fantastic photoshop! I love this so much.

Cross posting the latest challenge.
Flag Challenge #172: Unity of Division

Design flags for 2 countries who claim the name and mantle of their collapsed predecessor; each country having formed as a union of lesser states formed in the collapse/division of the predecessor state.
Restrictions:
No fictional countries ie no SciFi or Fantasy entries.
Each of the 2 flags should fit within a 200x400 px rectangle (preferably both on the same image file for ease of copy).

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 2 September 2017
Voting Closes: 9 September 2017 ish.
Entries in the entries thread please.

Status
Not open for further replies.