Status
Not open for further replies.
Five Kingdoms.png

A flag I whipped up in Paint.net after some cursory time with it, not much to write home about. Comes from a timeline I really should get around to writing. Idea behind it is that the Finnish tribes unite early and form Finland, who conquers its way, both militarily and diplomatically, through the rest of the Scandinavian peninsula and also getting its hands on Denmark and Iceland, forming the Five Kingdoms of Fennoscandia. The Five Kingdoms started as a de facto Finnish empire and then, through some history happenings involving colonial revolutions on the part of other nations' colonies and an absolute monarch who wanted to hold on to power at home even if it meant losing colonial holdings, became a kind of strange political union where the other four kingdoms were granted decent autonomy but the King of Kings of Fennoscandia (and King of "Fennoscandia Proper") still called the main shots that is technically sometimes one nation and technically sometimes five nations (now there's a topic for that timeline's CGPGrey equivalent) that is regardless a nightmare to work with at that timeline's UN equivalent. I might or might not come up with more to put onto this at some point, but at this point, I'ven't a clue what to add (if anything).

Cross post for the Challenge

Going with the spirit of the new challenge! [EDIT: now with added history etc]

Kingdom or Viceroyalty of Vinland

vrvinland-png.320457

A Brief History
  • Twin invasions from Harald Hardrada of Norway and William of Normandy effectively divide preConquest England.
  • Edgar, grandson of Edmund Ironside, becomes Earl of Lothian under Harald III. His sister marries Malcolm III Canmore King of the Scots [1].
  • Harald III makes his eldest son Magnus co-King of the English, naming him Earl of Northumbria; his younger son Olaf is made co-King of Norway [2].
  • Magnus's only child Inge [3] is married to Edred Columbine [4] who is named Earl of Cumberland
  • Norman Wars: deaths of Magnus, William Rufus, Malcolm, Edgar, and others. Edred succeeds Magnus but is vassal of Norman England - the Normans label him Prince of Northumbria. Duncan, eldest son from Malcolm's first marriage becomes King of the Scots.
  • Edred succeeded by Cynstan I (aka Constantine I & IV). After Duncan's death he wars with his relatives over the throne of Scotland and is unable to take much advantage of the Norman Anarchy [5].
  • The Kingdom of the Isles becomes a vassal and is absorbed when it fragments
  • Scotland and Northumbria separate as Kingdoms due to the Tanist War between cadet Houses Constantine (Argyll) and Simonine (York) [6]
  • Justin (Eostan) I Simonine of Northumbria becomes Justin (Eystein) II of Norway and begins expansion of the Atlantic colonies that later form Vinland.
  • Simon III inherits Scotland, formalises the union, and declares the Empire. He romanises much of the dynastic history [7].
The Flags

The State Flag of the Empire of the North is a combination of flags from the founding kingdoms.
Scotland - used a saltire since the first union with Northumbria and is based on the visitation of St Andrew [8] of a fiery cross in the sky. It is a red saltire on white, often fimbriated in gold (reflecting the traditional Arms of Scotland: red crowned lion bearing a sword on a gold field).
Northumbria - has 2 flags in use; one uses the St Cuthbert [9] Cross in white on blue (the traditional badge of the Simonines and descending dynasty), the other is based on Bede's description of the pre-Viking flag of Northumbrian and is vertical stripes of blue and gold.
Norway - uses 2 golden halberd axes in saltire on red, sometimes called the St Olaf Cross.
The State Flag is a red saltire on white surmounted by 2 golden axes in saltire and a blue round shield with white St Cuthbert Cross.

Vinland
Vinland is an autonomous Kingdom within the Empire of the North having its own Intendant and Assembly.
It is formed from the colonies settled by the then United Kingdom of Northumbria, Norway, & Scotland.
The flag features the axes in saltire of St Olaf and the cross of St Cuthbert, albeit white on red, as a reference to Justin I/II officially granting the Vinland Charters - Justin often used a white cross on red as his personal badge.
The green field is a reference to Eric the Red's descriptions of the "green lands beyond Thule" in an attempt to promote settlement [10].

[1] TTL it is more due to local politics than an alliance to retake England
[2] Olaf's son Magnus Barefoot succeeds him as King and Norway roughly follows OTL thence
[3] OTL he did not marry; TTL the (northern) nobles force it
[4] Columbine comes from his father Malcolm Canmore; Edred is an alt-David of the House Columbine
[5] A similar event to OTL but based on alternate marriages of William's sons.
[6] Tanistry is where the eldest of the ruling dynasty is deputy (tanist), and occasional heir, above that of senior heir by primogeniture. ITTL King Adam of N&S has a brother Simon Earl of York and Constantine Earl of Argyll; Simon's grandson Simon and Constantine's son Constantine fight over Scotland when Constantine claims heir rights to Scotland as Tanist.
[7] Hence Constantine for Cynstan, Simon for Sigmund, Justin for Eystein, etc
[8] Patron Saint of Scotland as OTL
[9] Patron Saint of Northumbria
[10] I made this up but it sounds like the sort of thing attributed to him!

Comments welcome

View attachment 320429
A flag I whipped up in Paint.net after some cursory time with it, not much to write home about. Comes from a timeline I really should get around to writing. Idea behind it is that the Finnish tribes unite early and form Finland, who conquers its way, both militarily and diplomatically, through the rest of the Scandinavian peninsula and also getting its hands on Denmark and Iceland, forming the Five Kingdoms of Fennoscandia. The Five Kingdoms started as a de facto Finnish empire and then, through some history happenings involving colonial revolutions on the part of other nations' colonies and an absolute monarch who wanted to hold on to power at home even if it meant losing colonial holdings, became a kind of strange political union where the other four kingdoms were granted decent autonomy but the King of Kings of Fennoscandia (and King of "Fennoscandia Proper") still called the main shots that is technically sometimes one nation and technically sometimes five nations (now there's a topic for that timeline's CGPGrey equivalent) that is regardless a nightmare to work with at that timeline's UN equivalent. I might or might not come up with more to put onto this at some point, but at this point, I'ven't a clue what to add (if anything).

I like the flag, but why are the Finns TTL using a Nordic cross flag which are all inspired by the Danish flag? Not to mention the coat of arms of Finland which is Swedish in origin.

I like the flag, but why are the Finns TTL using a Nordic cross flag which are all inspired by the Danish flag? Not to mention the coat of arms of Finland which is Swedish in origin.

Like I said, it was something I threw together, and I'm not a vexilologist, if I were, I'd have actually thought about exactly that when making the flag in the first place. Part of it (my not having thought about it) probably comes from the fact that the timeline in question was born from my plans to do a Paradox Interactive Grand Campaign starting as the Finnish chieftains and performing approximately what I mentioned above (since I'll be limited by game mechanics) from CK2 all the way to Hearts of Iron 4.

Crossposting from future flag
My flag for the Knights of Sedna

The nebulous organisation named ''The knights of Sedna'' is pretty much a group of monastic warriors set-up on the furthest region of the solar system. Emulating the image of the ancient crusader knights, they live and train on the barren dwarf planet of Sedna to protect the solar system against potential alien threat. If considered by many as a group of weird recluse with a unhealthy paranoia for alien invasion, many private group and government fund them both to maintain a comm relay (for receiving data from outer-system telescopes and satelites) and be a warning beacon in case of a real alien contact.
Knights of Sedna.png

can i submit a request? i've asked the fine community for a Fascist Michigan flag, but does anyone have a communist Michigan flag? thanks in advance

These are butt ugly concept arts--I made them in paint--but the same conservation of tradition that makes the Third American Republic's flags so "boring" makes me think I can get away with it; these are really just American flags with 52 and 53 stars, respectively, so really the only thing I need to get across is the pattern the stars are laid out in.

TAR flag 1.png

Above is the first TAR flag. The 51st and 52nd states are Porto Rico and DC.

Below is the second TAR flag. The 53rd state is Selene, AKA American Luna. Things'll get more complicated with the addition of interplanetary and interstellar colonies, but that's a story for another time.

TAR flag 2.png

EDIT: Giving it some further thought, while TAR embraces its heritage, it also emphasizes that it's its own distinct nation, and so I have some alternate designs that reflect that. In the first one, they simply reverse the stripes so that there's seven white ones and six red rather than vice versa. In the second, they do that AND make the stars black.

TAR flag 1b.png TAR flag 2b.png TAR flag 1c.png TAR flag 2c.png

Last edited:

fashbasher

Banned
d0i6ke1.png

Polity keys:

Top left - 0n. Unaligned Muslim Malay state consisting of a bunch of small *Indonesian islands like Batam and Natuna. Really hates the Caliphates of Islam for Allah knows what reason. Probably because of the rum-running industry.

Top right - 0a. Federation of small Caribbean independent states. The many crowns and crossed flag are based on one hoisted by Barbadian slave rebels who appealed to the King for better treatment.

Bottom left - 8c. Sokoto Caliphate. Harmless if a bit corrupt northern Nigerian Islamic state. Officially neutral to the longstanding ethnic and linguistic conflicts in the former southern Nigeria, it has been attractive to Christian refugees from the Tiv ethnic group who historians fear will become "the next Biafra or Niger Delta".

Bottom right - 1b. A military district comprising several areas in the American West, many of which were quite conservative. As Americans are blamed for the crises of the 20th and 21st centuries, and Republicans in particular are blamed, this is a combination of Japanese internment camps, Soviet gulags, and Jesus camp - only the residents have numbers, not names. At least they're allowed to go to church when they aren't dodging bullets for minor infractions; it's very much an ironic parody of the US and is probably the worst place on earth to be born.

Status
Not open for further replies.