Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldstein

Banned
A set of flags I've made for a map/scenario I'm about to draw. POD is 1971.
Worlds Apart  Banderas.png

Free Republic of People of France. 1945-onwards.
The Normandy Invasion fails, leaving France under german occupation. Without the need to fight on a western front, the germans are able to hold the soviets on the wester front and the americans in italy. After several failed attemps to break the stalemate from either side, the Allies conclude that without an attack from west it would be impossible to defeat the germans. While an amphibious invasion would certainly fail again both the US and USSR developed a plan that involved droping weapons in France in an attempt to arm the population. The US is the first to try their strategy, and while the population received weapons, the lack of coordination and training led to the defeat of the Free France movement. Learning from the US's mistakes, the USSR improved the idea. The soviets did not only sent small arms, but also artillery and special troops, whose task was to train and command the french rebels. The new movement was called Red France and used a red flag with a gold Lorraine cross. After the end of the war the nation became a satellite of the Soviet Union and was name Free Republic of the People of France. The flag features a Lorraine cross, which represents the partisans and a star above it, that represents the USSR that helped the partisans.
RZHB5LN.png

Last edited:

Alan Hardy

Banned
In response to the post above, by theminer220, I mashed all those colours together (got 169-150-107) and it looked like old gold (207-188-59). It gave me an idea... throw the current stars on that single back drop colour. Didn't look that nice, so I enlarged the Commonwealth Star till it touched the hoist, top and foot. This allows 3 areas of captive colour. Red in the canton, Gold in the lower hoist and blue in the fly with the other five stars. Ratio 2:3.

In response to the post above, by theminer220, I mashed all those colours together (got 169-150-107) and it looked like old gold (207-188-59). It gave me an idea... throw the current stars on that single back drop colour. Didn't look that nice, so I enlarged the Commonwealth Star till it touched the hoist, top and foot. This allows 3 areas of captive colour. Red in the canton, Gold in the lower hoist and blue in the fly with the other five stars. Ratio 2:3.

Me likey! :)

Alan Hardy

Banned
Beta Crucis is very close to the Commonwealth star, within its sphere, and that very closeness in combination is both enduring and goes towards showing friendship and warmth.

I was a bit worried by wiki listing the red as 255-0-0, which I'm sure is very unlike the Union Flag which feels darker. Very powerful. The dark blue is true too, 0-0-139. Very solid. Did think to include a green but with the old gold I really think there is no need at all. Very essence to me says "good so far, let's have more fun". Very Danny Ricciardo drinking from his shoe mate.

Last edited:
Cool. What happened to all of the Moroccans living in Sahawari? Apparently there are more of them then there are Sahawaris.

This is quite an old map so I don't remember much of the background. This was in the description under it when I posted it:

"My entry for the Map Duel for Honour and Glory VI: In At the Death - Make a map showing the aftermath of a war in which one side was forced into unconditional surrender.
The "duel" is due to the last round ending in a tie between me and another contestant so let's see if I can finish this
wink.gif
I'll post a link to the voting thread when it's done.

Anyhow, here's the very vague description:

Some people call it the third world war but most analysts agree that the only war happened in Europe and the rest were minor skirmishes. However it is undeniable that they are all linked. When the Russian block clashed with NATO, many who wished for a conflict in their own country or region took the chance while the powers were distracted. One such minor skirmish happened as the Russians made a breakthrough in the Dardanelles. Morocco saw its chance and finally seized control of the long-contested Plazas de soberanía in the north, including Ceuta and Mellila. And they might have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those damn Americans and their dumb ships! (cookie to the one who gets the reference). The taskforce which had been sent to push back the Russians in the Mediterranean received news of these two African outposts being overrun just as they were entering the gulf of Cadiz. Fearing that Morocco may have decided to side with Russia and is attempting to seal off the Gibraltar straits, giving the Russians time to establish a foothold in the Agaean and possibly as far as Crete, an amphibious landing was executed in Tangiers, Telouan and Ceuta. With the straits secure, the taskforce moved to stop the Black Sea fleet from moving forward. As the war wound to an end, NATO turned their eyes south at where the Moroccans were desperately trying to push out the better trained and equipped American troops. Spanish troops returning home from the front in the east soon followed up with landings all along the northern coast while coordinating their strikes in the south with the SADR. Very soon the combined troops were pushing towards Rabat in the north and crossing the Western Sahara - Morocco border in the south. The Moroccan army, crumbling under the assault and almost constantly retreating, was on the verge of defeat and the king was forced to sue for peace. The allies saw that they couldn't have an unpredictable country with an aggressive past holding the straits. So a decision was made to split it along ethnic lines into three countries friendly towards NATO to keep a watch on the Moroccan rump state.

The Rif Republic - The Rif idea was resurrected from the old colonial days rebel state and is a Berber state heavily dependent on trade with Spain. Some say that it is a buffer state created to protect the Spanish north-African possessions but that's completely untrue
wink.gif

The High Atlas Berber Federation - A joint state of three ethno-linguistic Berber groups along with two areas of mixed Arab-Berber populations in a quintuple federation.

The Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic - The rest of Western Sahara was delivered into their hands but the politicians to lead it are western-picked before they are presented to the public for elections as the West is fearful of an attempt to seize power in this state flooded in weapons.

and finally, The Kingdom of Morocco - the state was handed to the son of the old Moroccan king, the eighteen-year old Moulay Hassan I. along with several NATO military bases and a whole army of European "advisers". "​

Goldstein

Banned
Reminds me of something I made a while back :p

Unintentional, I promise. The idea of a Baathist Morocco at odds with its Berber population has been around my head for a long time. I must say my map will be kind of similar, but there will be differences. There will be no independent Saharawi Republic (Notice the two lesser stars in the Moroccan flag? There was no Polisario ITTL, and they voluntarily joined. I don't know how plausible is that, but I wanted to include that irony). The Atlas Confederation will be much more reduced in size, and will not have sea access (maybe Agadir and its surrounds will be a disputed zone). The Rif Republic will be much more reduced as well, covering just the area around Nador and Al-Hoceima.

Been working on a flag for my Star Trek story...and I could use some advice :p I'm going through a lot of different design phases, trying to find something that could symbolize this version of a united Earth, and...I'm kinda spoiled for choice :(

So, let's get this flag beauty pageant started! I'm open to pretty much all ideas, so feel free to throw me any outlandish ideas you might have to offer :)

dzmjw5e.png

1T4Y2EE.png

SRccaP1.png

Sy5Jimm.png

One thing I will say: The crest like object in the middle of the flag is the one thing I am one hundred percent keen on, because it is the primary symbol of this United Earth, a shape I derived from the eight cell stage that all human embryos, and indeed, all multicellular life on Earth, goes through, but I did do some funky placement to try and get all eight circles to be visible and not lost in a mass of lines and swirling shapes. The wavy like things at the top - and bottom of some of the variations - are meant to represent double helixes, another symbol of life on Earth, and the red is a pretty close shade to human blood to symbolize that.

I'm really just not sure! :confounded: All advice is welcome here!

EDIT : Another variation I just came up with:

p7mvEvY.png

EDITx2: Another variation, and the one that is most unique out of them all. I'm extremely desperate for suggestions here, so even if you like the post, please, say which flag you liked the most.

Et4YzdG.png

EDITx3: Another variation. This one has a green ribbon through the middle so that the land is represented alongside the oceans (blue) and the atmosphere (clear, or white) with a red streak for human blood.

rrnv4F6.png

EDITx4: What is this I don't even -
7jxWAia.png

More seriously, this flag has a belt of stars in the top left that display the solar system and the sun, with Earth, the homeworld of humanity, being the largest star of all.

Last edited:

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Been working on a flag for my Star Trek story...and I could use some advice :p I'm going through a lot of different design phases, trying to find something that could symbolize this version of a united Earth, and...I'm kinda spoiled for choice :(

So, let's get this flag beauty pageant started! I'm open to pretty much all ideas, so feel free to throw me any outlandish ideas you might have to offer :)

SRccaP1.png

One thing I will say: The crest like object in the middle of the flag is the one thing I am one hundred percent keen on, because it is the primary symbol of this United Earth, a shape I derived from the eight cell stage that all human embryos, and indeed, all multicellular life on Earth, goes through, but I did do some funky placement to try and get all eight circles to be visible and not lost in a mass of lines and swirling shapes. The wavy like things at the top - and bottom of some of the variations - are meant to represent double helixes, another symbol of life on Earth, and the red is a pretty close shade to human blood to symbolize that.

I'm really just not sure! :confounded: All advice is welcome here!

EDIT : Another variation I just came up with:

EDITx2: Another variation, and the one that is most unique out of them all. I'm extremely desperate for suggestions here, so even if you like the post, please, say which flag you liked the most.

EDITx3: Another variation. This one has a green ribbon through the middle so that the land is represented alongside the oceans (blue) and the atmosphere (clear, or white) with a red streak for human blood.

rrnv4F6.png

EDITx4: What is this I don't even -
7jxWAia.png

More seriously, this flag has a belt of stars in the top left that display the solar system and the sun, with Earth, the homeworld of humanity, being the largest star of all.
These three just really pop out, which is what makes them good.

I'd say the final one, really.

Hapsburg

Banned
The Flag of the People's Commonwealth of Orion.

The Orionese Revolution was the first extrasolar colonial independence movement to successfully attain recognition. The liberal Republic of Orion formed in the late 2300s, and was a close trade partner and ally of both the Terran Dominion and the Soviet Republic by the 2400s. But various pressures, including the rise of conservative and industrial-capitalist forces in the Orionese government, led to internal revolution in the 2530s. The Soviets aided the communists through money and weapons and 'advisers', leading to the creation of the People's Commonwealth operating under a similar party-vanguard and authoritarian model as the Soviet Republic. But Orionese culture chafed in the face of this authoritarian regime and free elections came after a century of constant riots. The communist coalition government remained in power, however, as the dominant party until 2810. A provisional free republic held power until the 2812 plebiscite instituted a parliamentary monarchy. It is widely believed the the plebiscite was rigged by Terran foreign agents, and communist insurrection became a constant issue in the Empire of Orion, especially during the succession crisis and civil war in the early 3000s.

The Commonwealth's flag displays the national symbol of the Orionese polity: stars arranged in the form of the Orion constellation, on a solid crimson field.

Flag of the People's Commonwealth of Orion.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.