Status
Not open for further replies.
SDlZx76.png

The flag of the Union of Terran Systems, also known as the Union or the UTS. A federal republic made up of 30 member systems and several hundred smaller colonies and thousands of uninhabited systems, the Union is the third-largest nation in the galaxy and the primary polity for the human race. Formed following the destructive Unification Wars of the 25th Century, the Union is the first and (so far) only successful attempt at an interstellar human nation. In recent years, Union politics have taken a very expansionist bent, as the outer colonies become more and more populated and thus gain more political clout. As part of this, Earth has authorized the creation of the Prometheus Initiative, a Union Navy-backed task force of scientists and sociologists whose purpose is to prepare alien races unwittingly living "within" the borders of the Union for the cold realities of interstellar politics.

The flag, colloquially known as the Phoenix Standard, is red to symbolize the blood spilt in the Unification Wars, and gold to represent both the hope for the future and the suns around which all o the eponymous Systems revolve. The phoenix represents humanity's rebirth from the ashes of war.

Beautiful, just beautiful… is this from The Lost Cradle story sometime in the future, or from an entirely different story?

Flag of the Spartan Empire, which once dominated much of Europe and Scythia with its system of eugenics and brutal racial apartheid

flag_of_the_spartan_empire_by_gottfreyundroy-dag073a.png

Redesigned flag of the Rebellion in the Metal Slug games; oh and I should mention that I'm making a TL based on the games (which I'll explain later), of which will feature this flag:
metal_slug_houfuku_rebel_flag_re_redesign_by_kubocaskett-da9lbk8.png

On that noted, I should mention that I highly doubt any organization that's basically an NGO that seeks international influence would use a blatant copy of the Nazi flag since well nobody in the right mind wants to be associated with them (unless they're ideologically very similar or that non-ideological Chicano movement).

here is my take on the russian czar/monarchy flag:
upload_2016-8-30_21-50-32.png

i mixed the color order up and i also made a vertical version:
upload_2016-8-30_21-54-19.png

and as always, hope ya like!

Is the IPWC "Imperial" in the sense that it shares a leader with the Empire of Man?

I was wondering when someone was going to ask me about this.

The Parks & Wildlife Commission is essentially a state within a state, administering national parks and other protected lands within the Empire of Man. In recent years (as in the past few centuries) there's been a trend of protecting garden worlds from human habitation, with a focus on building and living on artificial worlds instead. So the garden worlds are declared national parks and administered by the PWC, who have their own apparatus for taxation, the military, social services, etc.

I was wondering when someone was going to ask me about this.

The Parks & Wildlife Commission is essentially a state within a state, administering national parks and other protected lands within the Empire of Man. In recent years (as in the past few centuries) there's been a trend of protecting garden worlds from human habitation, with a focus on building and living on artificial worlds instead. So the garden worlds are declared national parks and administered by the PWC, who have their own apparatus for taxation, the military, social services, etc.

So essentially, where otherwise there is a trend for a colony to belong to two or more separate polities, the Empire has a deep state that its members may also belong to. Or not, and instead it administers a planet by itself.

So essentially, where otherwise there is a trend for a colony to belong to two or more separate polities, the Empire has a deep state that its members may also belong to. Or not, and instead it administers a planet by itself.

The Empire tends not to tolerate other polities co-existing alongside it, and it's one of the truly rare centralized polities. And while the Parks & Wildlife Commission probably does fall under the definition of a deep state, I think that oversells it a little.

here are some WOP flags for a fictional TL i am making:
upload_2016-8-31_4-4-24.png

upload_2016-8-31_4-5-0.png

upload_2016-8-31_4-5-52.png

upload_2016-8-31_4-6-28.png

upload_2016-8-31_4-7-48.png

upload_2016-8-31_4-8-14.png

upload_2016-8-31_4-8-58.png

and finally
upload_2016-8-31_4-9-34.png

all of these except for the first one! was created by me for me and my world that i am creating, the creator of the first one was a person (who i cant find) on the request thread and it inspired me to create flags for the countrys i had been working on and as always, hope ya like!

Last edited:
A glossary of flags from the most powerful and prominent human polities from my yet unnamed far future science fiction project. These polities can count tens of thousands of star systems as members (which isn't as an impressive number when you realize more than 2/5ths of inhabited star systems are red or brown dwarfs, and less than 5% of all planets are terrestrial garden worlds), with populations in the tens of trillions to hundreds of trillions. Unlike contemporary nation-states, these polities are a mixture of historical, cultural, ethnic and geographic supranational associations. Humanity is still divided into smaller nation-states that are geographically contiguous to one planetary body, as interstellar distances make centralized governance difficult at best to impossible at worse. As such, many nations can be members of multiple polities, often belonging to one ethnic association (such as the Jotunn Volksmoot) and one political association (such as the Compact of Free Association). The only significant exception to this are the Empire of Man and the Imperial Parks & Wildlife Commission, both of which rely on local aristocracy to keep subject worlds in line.

HWGLX2v.png

I've flipped the colors for the Jotunn Volksmoot, hopefully this one hasn't already been used

Ng0OT1Q.png

The Five Percenter movement derives its name from a general fact that less than 5% of all known planets are garden worlds or near-garden worlds, and an urban legend that less than 5% of all "humans" are still within a standard deviation or baselines. Five Percenters are baselines humans who exist at the fringes of society, preferring to live in rural or wild areas (there's a particular stereotype about them living in the mountains) of garden worlds. They eschew advanced technology, rarely travel far from their compounds, practice their own homestyle medicine and rely on sustenance farming for food and income. Five Percenters can be found across the Galaxy wherever humans can be found, and the movement itself is a loose network unified by a few ideological texts, newsletters, zines, email groups and a speaking circuit. Their total numbers are hard to come by because they live off the grid and the net, but the Imperial Parks & Games Commission estimates that there's approximately 100 million living within national park units.

AlynUME.png

Status
Not open for further replies.