Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flag of the Russian State of Alaska.
The word in russian means "Continent" because "Alaska" means continent in aléoute. The flag is inspired from the Californian design. And the bear comes from United Russia's logo (Putin's party).

I like it a lot! But, it reminds me of a Klondike bar. :p What is the significance of the stars?

Dorozhand

Banned
Here's a red field version of the Yong Dynasty flag I posted earlier. In this case, the red represents happiness and prosperity.

Da Yong.png

Da Yong.png

so the flag of the republic in this TL is identical to OTL pre-republican flag ?

It's actually a different version of the Lion and Sun, more stylized and without the crown. That said, it's not much of a difference and I decided to post it here for completeness more than anything else.

The flag of the Spiš Republic from my Sparrow Avengers universe. The Spiš Republic was one of the earliest unilaterally declared successor statelets that cropped up after the demise of Austria-Hungary and the Disunion Wars that followed it (being an offshoot of the post-WWI chaos that engulfed Eurasia in the late 1910s and early 1920s).

Unfortunately from a vexilological POV, the OTL coat of arms for the former Spiš county had a very dynamic evolution and became rather busy in later centuries (mirroring the county's unusually complex inner boundaries and convoluted administrative history). Still, despite its complexity, it's been an accepted symbol for the region since the 18th-19th century. The tincture employed within it made for interesting source material when designing the bars and fields of the flag itself. The bars were made deliberately irregular, to mirror the already existing variation pattern employed in the flag's main four fields (these fields always have a tincture opposite to an adjacent quarter of the CoA). The coronet that tended to adorn the top of the Spiš CoA's shield was dropped by the republic, "for being both visually superfluous and politically superfluous to the needs of the republic's national and governmental insignia".

----

I had to scratch-build the entire CoA, as there is no "cleaned-up" modern version of it, only the surviving higher resolution 19th century illustrations. One major change I was forced to do to the CoA due to space limitations and composition, was flipping the black/sable chamois-growing-from-the-crown to the right, despite the correct way of orienting that figure being to the left (i.e., the same as with the lion, while the unicorn on the blue/azure field is correctly oriented to the right, as it should be). I'm not entirely satisfied with how the unicorn-growing-from-the-crown came out (he's just oddly hanging there), but again, it was due to space limitations. :eek:

I haven't come up with an air force roundel for this country yet, but I'll try to find an appropriate combination of shapes and colours. Even now, I have a feeling it's highly probable that it won't be your usual cocade roundel. If you have any cool ideas for a blue/red/gold/silver/green roundel, I'm all ears ! :)

SPR Vlajka.png

Last edited:
May I have a link to Sparrow Avengers? :)

There isn't one, but once I finally compile all the lore, bits of it might see a gradual release on this board. I'll probably be posting it in the ASB forum, as I've resolved to do already a few years ago, when the timeline was in a far dimmer state of infancy. At least now I'm finally making some progress towards fleshing things out. However, I do have a kind of developer's blog reserved for that universe (started at least 4 years ago), but it is currently in hibernation and has basically no articles.

Dorozhand

Banned
Another Yong Dynasty flag. This one has the Da Yong in the centre right instead of the canton, has two black bands on the top and bottom, representing the Yellow and Yangtze rivers, and a black imperial dragon to the left of the Da Yong.

Da Yong 3.png

Da Yong 3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.