Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.
Another flag i made:
austro_neuguinea_by_skull_island_master-d4h2z51.jpg

Again from my timeline, West Newguinea was bought by the USGA.

I am not sure about the colours, if they really fit Newguinea.

It certainly is interesting! (though I don't approve of the metal on metal)

Where did you put the stars originally? I think it could potentially work well enough if you shrunk the eagle a bit and added the (black) stars in a circle around it.

Like this?
3lkwl3dt.png

Yeah, that looks good. It could perhaps also be worth trying out the same type of design with four-armed stars instead, each one rotated so that the circle of stars looks smoother. The one above the head of the bird should be kept as it is though, I think.

Ok thanks.
But perhaps i just let the eagle alone, and leave out the Star/Sun thing.
I think i can also use the Version GTD-Orion made for me, i think he is known aShadowgorath here.

Last edited:
A few flags from a timeline I have had in mind (and have been working on in a desultory fashion) for a long time. A nice diversion, and I get to flex my very limited artistic abilities. Nothing too complicated, but complicated flags tend to be ugly anyway, in my opinion.

Federal Empire of Austria (adopted in 1928, after the end of the Austro-Hungarian Civil War and the cessation of hostilities among the Federal Empire, the Republic of Hungary, and the Kingdoms of Poland and Rumania):

Federal Empire of Austria Flag.jpg

Republic of Brazil (adopted in 1940, on the first anniversary of the toppling of the Vargas dictatorship, in power since just prior to the South American War of 1936-7):

Republic of Brazil Flag.jpg

Himalayan Confederation (adopted in 1963, after the formation of the Confederation pursuant to the Treaty of Srinagar between Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, Burma, China and the Indus Republic):

Himalayan Confederation Flag.jpg

Last edited:
From my MotF entry, the Flag of a Northern and industrial confederacy :

could center the star better over the egles head, shrink the eagle a bit (and make it a bald eagle like the post above), and get a better type face for the industry/libert parts,b ut overall very nice and quite interestign to see a northern confederaccy

this is the first of five flags that i'm uploading and sharing here, all of which are from a book that i'm writing

this is the flag of East Kingdom, an English successor state in the eastern forest on the fictional island of Meropis. East Kingdom was the first of the four human kingdoms to be established on this fantastical island, and is the most populous and largest of them, though it is also simultaneously the most (for want of a better word) industrialized and least industrialized of them. by this i mean that the Easterners (as they're called) have made only a tiny dent in the forest since settling there around the mid-11th century, but also have a greater engineering and metallurgical capacity than the other kingdoms. it is bordered on each side, respectively, by North, West, and South Kingdoms, though it also shares a southern border with Lanthano and is bordered on the east by the Atlantic Ocean; it faces Iberia. East Kingdom was on rocky terms with South Kingdom until about the turn of the 14th century through a political marriage.

i decided to base the flag on that of Northumbria, with eight vertical bands, but roughly reversed the color scheme: the lighter color is the even-numbered stripes (from the left) while the brighter one is odd-numbered. in reference to England though with little other rhyme or reason, i made the colors in reference to the Houses of York (white) and Lancaster (red), taking the color from their rose emblems. this is definitely a huge improvement over what i had before: a pair of crossed tools (i think it was a shovel and a hammer, or maybe a shovel and a pitchfork)

Flag - East Kingdom.png

Last edited:
the second of five flags

this one is for West Kingdom, the second kingdom to be established on Meropis, though this one by the Byzantines. when the Eastern Roman Empire decided to send settlers to Meropis, they couldn't stake a claim in the eastern forest as that region had already become occupied by the English. instead, they traveled westward into a scrubland and later into a desert in the central-western part of the island, part of which was volcanic, and established their settlements on the coast where it was easier to live. they came to be very deeply associated with horses, especially the wild horses which lived in the desert and had evolved over time to be adapted to the desert much like the famed Arabian horses. it borders North, South, and East Kingdoms; unlike East Kingdom, West Kingdom does not border Lanthano, and is separated from its northern and southern neighbors by mountain ranges. West Kingdom is slightly different from the rest of the human kingdoms on Meropis because their language is Italic in origin, as opposed to the Germanic linguistic origins that the rest of the kingdoms have (though over time, the lingua franca of Meropis came to be Old English).

appropriately, West Kingdom's flag is based on the Byzantine flag, though slightly stretched out horizontally and with black horses in place of the original imagery on the Byzantine Flag. the color scheme is otherwise roughly similar, though, and there's little else to say about the flag. i kept the equestrian theme of their original flag/emblem that i designed way back when, though, which was a horseshoe with an arrow pointing up into it

Flag - West Kingdom.png

Last edited:
the third of five flags

South Kingdom was established by various Germanic peoples from the Holy Roman Empire, and was the of the human kingdoms to be founded. the Germans' settlement on the arid plains in the Meropian near-south was actually a driving force behind the eviction of some of the non-human peoples who lived there, who were forced south into Lanthano. the core of the Southerner military lies with their foot soldiers, though they largely rely on mounted soldiers because of the enormous swathes of mostly flat plains that make up the kingdom. South Kingdom's western edges face the island kingdom of Kalalit (OTL Azores), and it borders West Kingdom in the north, East Kingdom in the east, and Lanthano in the south.

this is probably the least-creative of these five flags, as its really only a slight modification of the Holy Roman flag, replacing the two-headed eagle with a normal one. i had originally planned to make the field green, but gave up on that when none of the greens i looked at seemed to fit well. their symbol was originally a sword laid on top of a spade-shaped shield, and i may continue using this symbol as their royal emblem. it also occurs to me that i didnt make a flag for Kalalit, so this should technically be the third of six flags. oh well *shrug*

South Kingdom is arguably the most important of the kingdoms in the story, as it's where most of the story takes place and where the main characters are from

Flag - South Kingdom.png

Last edited:
the fourth of five flags, and the last one for a human nation on Meropis

Norse explorers returning from Vinland were the ones who discovered Meropis in the first place, but were ironically the last ones to settle there. North Kingdom is cold most of the time, though not necessarily icy (though it does essentially freeze over in the winter), and is thus one of the least-populous of the nations on Meropis. North Kingdom is unique among the human kingdoms as it is the only one to have discovered incantations that allow humans to use magic. therefore, North Kingdom is known and feared for its spellcasters, but it is a largely neutral country; the Vikings who founded it have largely abandoned raiding. the kingdom is bordered on the south by West and East kingdoms.

as you can probably tell, the flag's arrangement is your typical Nordic cross flag; i decided to give it a Tyrian purple and white color scheme to differentiate from other Nordic cross flags. simpler but much better than the original emblem, just a crescent moon and a star (like an Islamic crescent, though i designed it before i even knew what Islam was).

Flag - North Kingdom.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.