Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem people seem to be having is that this is Alternate History.com, not RandomFlags.com. People here care about the backstory and the plausibility behind scenarios, and you saying that the UK might break down into the English regions in 10 years is almost impossible.

Now, let's phrase your questions differently:

Suppose the plans for regional assemblies in England pass, and each region gets it's own assembly then it is reasonably to suppose that they would adopt symbols - coats of arms, logos, perhaps even flags. How do you think that would work? Some like Yorkshire & the Humber or the North East would be easier as they have fewer component parts, London and East Anglia also have existing symbols. But what about the rest? Is there some way to combine all the heraldry and tradition of the South East (say) into one symbol for a South East Assembly?

So, people of AH.com - what say you?

That is how you ask, and if I have time I might have a go later.

EDIT: Why oh why does randomflags.com not exist :( ??
Thank you, I'm only new to this, so apologizes for getting my requests wrong. This is the question that I propose now.

The problem people seem to be having is that this is Alternate History.com, not RandomFlags.com. People here care about the backstory and the plausibility behind scenarios, and you saying that the UK might break down into the English regions in 10 years is almost impossible.

Suppose the plans for regional assemblies in England pass, and each region gets it's own assembly then it is reasonably to suppose that they would adopt symbols - coats of arms, logos, perhaps even flags. How do you think that would work? Some like Yorkshire & the Humber or the North East would be easier as they have fewer component parts, London and East Anglia also have existing symbols. But what about the rest? Is there some way to combine all the heraldry and tradition of the South East (say) into one symbol for a South East Assembly?

Are the borders for the regional assembly based on anything historical ?

I guess one could do something based on seaxes and horses for the south east …

I made a couple a few years ago.

ruskin.png

For the Southeast, and:

anglia.png

For Eastern England.

The Sun did that :

SNN1406GXB-682_1437682a.jpg
If we're removing the Scottish flag's elements then the arms of the saltire should be wider, probably as wide as those of the cross, and the flag thus more symmetrical: In the current flag each arm is 50% Scotland's white saltire and 50% a part of Ireland's red saltire but with a white border taking up part of that share.

It was a actual plan (Regional Assemblies (Preparations) Act 2003) that never came to anything after being rejected in the North-East (Northern England devolution referendums, 2004). I would assume the usual OTL regions of England.
And considering that the North-East was the area where opinion polls suggested the highest level of support for such an Assembly, the chance of this being favoured by voters anywhere else in the country (perhaps apart from Yorkshire & the Humber, where it would basically just re-create the traditional county of Yorkshire -- although still with a few corners lost, but parts of northern Lincolnshire added instead -- anyway) is pretty minimal... if the politicians actually let us have any say in the matter....

Last edited:
And here's the flag of the (Shanghai) International Settlement from the upcoming chapter of my timeline.

Df8Hp.png

The component flags are, from left to right, top to bottom;

Top left: Britain, United States, France, Germany.
Top right: Russia, Denmark, Italy, Portugal.
Bottom: Sweden-Norway, Croatia, Spain, Netherlands.

And here's the flag of the (Shanghai) International Settlement from the upcoming chapter of my timeline.

The component flags are, from left to right, top to bottom;

Top left: Britain, United States, France, Germany.
Top right: Russia, Denmark, Italy, Portugal.
Bottom: Sweden-Norway, Croatia, Spain, Netherlands.
I swear I've seen something like that before (for Tientsin?), but I can't remember for the life of me if it's an OTL flag or if it's one I saw on AH.COM a couple years ago, and I can't find it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.