Flag Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy!

That's actually the real flag. It's all over Google images.

Not so easy unfortunately. The harp was introduced under English rule and his POD is 1066. I don't really know what kind of symbol you would put on that flag since heraldry in general was introduced to Ireland by the Normans. Maybe a boar or something? Definitely nothing from OTL though.

@Italian Bosnia-Herzegovina: shouldn't the crescent and star (Muslim) be something else? Just wondering, it's still a neat flag.

That crescent and star is from the 14th century and actually predates Islam in Bosnia. It was actually re-adopted very briefly by the OTL Austrians before they settled on the red-arm-holding-a-sword arms.

Thanks! I can use that, right?

Of course.

Not so easy unfortunately. The harp was introduced under English rule and his POD is 1066. I don't really know what kind of symbol you would put on that flag since heraldry in general was introduced to Ireland by the Normans. Maybe a boar or something? Definitely nothing from OTL though.

That crescent and star is from the 14th century and actually predates Islam in Bosnia. It was actually re-adopted very briefly by the OTL Austrians before they settled on the red-arm-holding-a-sword arms.

Huh, I didn't know the English introduced the harp. I'll have to remember that for my own stuff.

Wow, I'm shocked the crescent and star was used independently from Islam. Very interesting.

I had a dream where I was in Chinese Iceland, and its flag looked like this:

Chinese%20Iceland%20dream%20flag.png

Wow, I didn't know my subconscious sucked at flag design so much.

Attachments

• Chinese Iceland dream flag.svg
    3.9 KB · Views: 693
Wow, I'm shocked the crescent and star was used independently from Islam. Very interesting.

Well, the crescent is the symbol of Constantinople and thus associated with Rhomania.
Because of its use by the Ottomans (and the Seljuks of Rum IIRC) it then became associated with Muslim rulers and thence Islam.

Thande

Donor

The cross, the crescent and star, and the swastika are all symbols that predate their modern meanings by millennia. They were all considered to possess a mystical meaning that gives them a certain universality and you find them in cultures all over the world in all sorts of contexts.

As for the Irish thing: this is tricky, because the Irish didn't really have a tradition of flags or heraldry as we know it before they were introduced by the Normans. The Red Hand of Ulster is the only Ireland-related heraldic symbol that seems to explicitly predate the 1000s, but does not symbolise the whole of Ireland, and it's unlikely a High Kingdom derived from Brian Boru would use it as he came from Munster. Munster's arms (three crowns) were used prior to the harp as the arms of Ireland, but these also appear to be derived from English settlement, the three crowns corresponding to three English fortresses.

Of course a kingdom founded by Brian Boru surviving unchanged to the present day is ASB anyway...

its VA,MD, and DC

Since Maryland is of course the dominate part of this amalgamation, they ought to just use an unchanged Maryland flag. :D

But in all seriousness, I think the Virginian blob-on-blue seal clashes pretty badly with the Maryland and DC flags, both of which are heraldic. Perhaps you could quarter it, with Maryland's Calvert and Crossland designs in two of the corners, the DC flag in another corner, and some sort of Virginian design in a fourth corner (maybe the arms of some founding father, or an entirely new blazon).

Edit: Something like this, with a new Virginian coat of arms based vaguely off of those of John Smith (with different colors, and the Turkish heads replaced by stars).

MarVirDC.png

Last edited:
Since Maryland is of course the dominate part of this amalgamation, they ought to just use an unchanged Maryland flag. :D

But in all seriousness, I think the Virginian blob-on-blue seal clashes pretty badly with the Maryland and DC flags, both of which are heraldic. Perhaps you could quarter it, with Maryland's Calvert and Crossland designs in two of the corners, the DC flag in another corner, and some sort of Virginian design in a fourth corner (maybe the arms of some founding father, or an entirely new blazon).

LOL! cool, but yea.... the va seal that the weird bit.... I'm sure I'll figure something out.
I was originally thinking of using
http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/jwes/VASealreverse-2.GIF
which is the reverse of the state seal. but I couldn't find one big enough. :confused:

from the wiki:

"The reverse of the seal pictures the blessings of freedom and peace, as represented by three Roman goddesses. In the center is the matron Libertas the goddess of individual liberties. In her hand she holds a wand showing her magical gifts, at the top of the wand hangs a Phrygian Cap, also called a Liberty Cap — later made popular by French revolutionaries. To the left of Libertas stands Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture. In her left hand is a horn of plenty overflowing with the abundance of Virginia's harvests, while in her right hand is an enormous stalk of wheat, representing one of Virginia's leading crops. Aeternitas, representing Virginia's eternity, stands at the right of Libertas. In her right hand is a golden ball, an emblem of authority, and atop the ball is a Phoenix, symbolizing immortality. On the Virginia seal, the phoenix represents effective government.
The motto gracing the reverse with its trio of Libertas, Ceres, and Aeternitas is Perseverando, or in English, Persevering, a reminder to future generations of the need to persist in maintaining the blessings of liberty. The ornamental border on both sides of the seal consists of sprigs of Parthenocissus quinquefolia, or commonly, Virginia Creeper. In 1930 another committee was charged with standardizing the seal's design because of all the variations that came into use over the years. The seals that now adorn the doors of the Southern Portico of the Capitol in Richmond were designed by Charles Keck. What the committee approved was basically adopting the 1776 seal as the standard. In 1949, another standard was implemented, when Virginia's Art Commission defined the official color scheme for the seal. The Great Seal and the lesser seal are the same except for size. The lesser seal is used on commissions of commonwealth officials and notaries, and on other papers which remain within the boundaries of, or relate only to, Virginia."

speaking of which, what would you all recommend as a flag for an economic union of balkan states?

If its just something that will serve to decorate offices or fly in front of meeting place, you could simply have some sort of logo (such as the monetary symbol of the union) on a plain field.

Status
Not open for further replies.