Flag Contest for the Union of Sovereign Republics

What should the new flag of the Union of Soverign Republics be?

• Konrad Sartorius' Proposal:

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Twister Ace's First Proposal

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Twister Ace's Second Proposal

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Twister Ace's Third Proposal

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • O'Alexis 89's Proposal

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Russia's Czarist Tricolor #1

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Russia's Czarist Tricolor # 2

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Alan Hardy's First Proposal

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Alan Hardy's Second Proposal

• Alan Hardy's Third Proposal

• Total voters
Based on this TL:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...remlin-an-extended-cold-war-tl.390118/page-52

Following is of spoiler:

After the deposition of the hated Ligachev regime after the May Revolution of 1995, the citizens of the former USSR, now renamed the Union of Sovereign Republics (USR) are now faced with the prospect of creating a new flag.

Below are some proposals for a post-communist flag that are designed to be inclusive towards all citizens of the USR:

URS5_zps4pajotz2.png

^
Konrad Sartorius' submission.

Pros: Physically represents the boundaries of the USR. IS non-ideological, with the blue representing democracy and the white representing the desire of the USR people to be at peace with their neighbors.

Cons: Is possibly two generic/bland according to some critics. Also will have to be modified in order to represent the likely succession of several SSRs, continuously reminding Russian nationalists of their shrinking homeland.

800px-Flag_of_the_CIS.svg.png

^
Twister Ace's proposal.

pros: Neutral, non-ideological. Has beautiful design.

Cons: Doesn't particularly represent the USR or its citizens.

700px-Flag_of_the_Eurasian_Economic_Union.svg.png

^
Twister Ace's Second Proposal

Pros: Represents the desire of the USR to integrate with her neighbors

Cons: Doesn't particularly represent the USR's borders/history.

^
Twister Ace's Third Proposal

pros: Utilizes Soviet nostalgia

Cons: Fails to represent the revolutionary break from communism that the USR has just undergone.

241351-ecc4eccc091fe43f2939138d018ff88a.jpg

^
O'Alexis 89's Proposal

Pros: Symbolically represents the new political goals of the USR (peace/democracy). Also represents the various SSRs via the stars. Custom made (See his post for details about his design.)

Cons: Somewhat cluttered with so many symbols.

Flag_of_Russia.svg

^
Russian Tricolor #1

Pros: Historical flag that represented the nation pre-communism. Recognized by most as a historic national emblem.

Cons: Associated with authoritarian era of czars. Also would likely cause concerns of Russian domination among the non-Russian SSRs considering succession.

2000px-Romanov_Flag.svg.png

^
Second Czarist Imperial Tri-Color

Pros:Also recognized emblem of pre-communist era.

Cons: Also associated with the Czars authoritarianism. Would also spark concerns about Russian domination in non-Russian SSRs.

USR_zpsr6skggw0.png

^
Alan Hardy's First Proposal

Pros: Keeps historic Soviet symbolism, obstensibly under new meanings

Cons: Still looks too much like Soviet era flag, and the communism that is associated with it.

URS2_zps02rrgx6n.png

^
Alan Hardy's Second Proposal

Pros: HAs new colors and new meanings, combined with a representation of the geography of the USR.

Cons: The color design has nothing to do with the history of the USR.

URS3_zpsod2sickj.png

^
Alan Hardy's Third Proposal

Pros: Same as above

Cons: Doesn't represent country. Also looks to much like the Greenland flag.

(See his posts for more info on his flags and their symbolism)

Begin voting! First round voting will end on August 27, 2016!

Last edited:
The OTL post-1991 Russian flag. The three colors are Slavic colors in general so it would work for the Ukrainians and Belarussians.

Union of Sovereign Republics.png

I came up with this design after some 3 hours of reflexion with a friend, so here goes:
-The White banner represents peace
-The Blue banner represent the policital transition (from the USSR to the USR)
-Forming a circle, 15 Stars are representing the 15 Sovereign Republic (One per republic)
(SIDENOTE: I took the original number of SSRs to make this, if needed, I can reduce the number of stars.)
-In the center you have the laurel and a single yellow star which represents the unity of the USR.

Last edited:
View attachment 284190

I came up with this design after some 3 hours of reflexion with a friend, so here goes:
-The White banner represents peace
-The Blue banner represent the policital transition (from the USSR to the USR)
-Forming a circle, 15 Stars are representing the 15 Sovereign Republic (One per republic)
(SIDENOTE: I took the original number of SSRs to make this, if needed, I can reduce the number of stars.)
-In the center you have the laurel and a single yellow star which represents the unity of the USR.

The USR will likely lose a few SSRs in the coming months (i.e. Baltics are going to have a referendum.) The star count will gradually have to be reduced.

The USR will likely lose a few SSRs in the coming months (i.e. Baltics are going to have a referendum.) The star count will gradually have to be reduced.
The USR Flag can adapt itself should it be necessary (i.e. if the Baltic Sisters leaves the USR, the star count will be reduced to 12, etc...)

Alan Hardy

Banned
Please hang on till at least mid day tomorrow, I've got one in the planning stage but I need to sleep on it first...

Last edited:
While I like all of those flags, I have to mention that given the nature o f communism fall ITTL, I think any remaining links to the soviet symbolism such as red or even gold stars, or the blue-red flag, which I believe resembles a flag of some soviet republic too much.
I can't really make a flag at the moment, but I like O'Alexis idea as a simple white-blue design.

Please hang on till at least mid day tomorrow, I've got on in the planning stage but I need to sleep on it first...

Okay. I'll wait til tommorrow afternoon. May I also ask that you modify the Korea unity flag (my proposal) to instead show the boundaries of the Soviet Union/USR.

I would do that myself but I don't know how to that myself.

Alan Hardy

Banned
As unity flags go, and the desire to be at one with ones historic neighbours, overlooking previous faults and with vision to a brighter future a combination of colour previously represented would be my solution. Combined, on the 15 flags red appeared as 73% of the sum area.

Thus three quarters of the new flag is still red (workers unity through strength and fortitude) and forms the right hand side of the field. The hammer and sickle is removed but the gold star is retained as a symbol of hope and a joint endeavour of the people going forward and placed as a central charge raised high.

The quarter of field in the hoist is split three ways horizontally. Again broadly based on relative areas previously covered. In the canton five eights blue for the new horizons to be reached for, then one eight white, for the purity of the people, and lower band one quarter green for the fertile mother land.

Colours used are Red (carry over) 204-0-0. Golden yellow (carry over) 255-215-0. Blue (new balance, mixed of the previous 11 blues used) 51-103-176. White 255-255-255. Green (new balance of the previous 4 shades of green used) 15-158-74.

Alan Hardy

Banned
Using the green and blue mixed colours from the above post, the country is shown in negative space in white. The outline as projected touches three sides of the flag. At ratio 1:2 this allows for wear of the field in the fly to occur without initial damage to the importance of the charge shape. Colour effectively ordered vertically from left to right as hoist green, charge white, fly blue rather than repesenting neighbouring countries (green) or oceans (blue).
It could be smoothed if you think it has legs...

Last edited:

Alan Hardy

Banned
The most highly advanced smoothed version of the above flag, maybe symbolic of it. Using a circle to demonstrate that the USSR were the first country to launch a man out of the Earth's atmosphere, and that history and combined effort should not be lost or forgotten going forward together without the yoke of communism or its overtones. Green for the motherland, White for the purity of the people, Blue for future progress and openness.

Ratio 1:2. 8 Units of distance on horizontal centreline thus 1 green, 4 white & 3 blue.

Last edited:
I've got on in the planning stage
Sweet! I was worried that I would be alone in that poll alongside Twister Ace!

I can't really make a flag at the moment, but I like O'Alexis idea as a simple white-blue design.
Thank you! I didn't want to have any Soviet-related symbols on the flag to mark the transition (although maybe the laurel and the lone yellow star is seen on a lot of Communist coat of arms).

this could be smoothed if you think it has legs...

Personally, I like this one! But can you do the USR light blue on a white background (to match Konrad's idea, look above)?