Flag Challenge - Good bye Union Jacks

The challenge - pick a OTL flag that displays the Union Jack and provide a new, country/region/province appropriate design. Think of Canada adopting the Maple Leaf flag in 1967.

The reason? No reason except there's a lot of flags to play with.

The prize? One million bucks, payable sometime between now and later.:eek:

For Australia:

attachment.php

I gave the Commonwealth Star eight points because I think it's kinda unfair that the Northern Territory and ACT get only one point between them - plus, 8 points looks better.
The design with the one-third closest to the hoist being one colour with something on it is the "Australia pale" design, like NT and ACT have on their flags.
The Southern Cross has stars like on the Victoria & NT flags because it looks better than all with 8 points (as our current one has them all with 7 points).
And the colours - green, gold and blue - are our national and heraldic colours and are also one colour from the old flag, the Aboriginal flag and the Torres Strait Islander flag.

Last edited:
For Australia:

attachment.php

I gave the Commonwealth Star eight points because I think it's kinda unfair that the Northern Territory and ACT get only one point between them - plus, 8 points looks better.
The design with the one-third closest to the hoist being one colour with something on it is the "Australia pale" design, like NT and ACT have on their flags.
The Southern Cross has stars like on the Victoria & NT flags because it looks better than all with 8 points (as our current one has them all with 7 points).
And the colours - green, gold and blue - are our national and heraldic colours and are also one colour from the old flag, the Aboriginal flag and the Torres Strait Islander flag.

Y'know, I also recall off EVENT HORIZON that Sam Neill's character, who was Australian, wore a Cth flag with the Aboriginal flag replacing the Union Jack in the top left corner...

Y'know, I also recall off EVENT HORIZON that Sam Neill's character, who was Australian, wore a Cth flag with the Aboriginal flag replacing the Union Jack in the top left corner...
Grr. Okay, I'll direct you to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...acing_the_Union_flag_with_the_Aboriginal_flag

There, that should explain why that isn't a good idea.

Edit: Hey, is no one else entering? There are heaps of other places with Union Jacks in their cantons. I'd like to see some from other people.

Forgot I posted this challenge... oops!

Anyways, here's my first - Pacific Columbia (British Columbia) continues with thier butt-ugly approach to flag design...:rolleyes:

The green triangles represent the tree-covered mountains that march down to the shore.

Pacific Columbia.png

Anyways, here's my first - Pacific Columbia (British Columbia) continues with thier butt-ugly approach to flag design...:rolleyes:

The green triangles represent the tree-covered mountains that march down to the shore.

Looks nice. I like the original too.

New Manitoba

Green for the forests in the east, blue for the lakes, streams and sea to the north, and gold for the fields of wheat in the west...

New Manitoba Flag.png