Five Colors for a Dime: A Comic Book Timeline (Redux)

Who wrote the scripts for Spielberg Superman Films?
In our timeline William Goldman was ask and turn them down.
They Considered Leigh Brackett and Alfred Bester before ending up with Mario Puzo.

The first two films were written as an interconnected story, but you don't need to see one to understand the other. That story was written by Steven Spielberg and Tom Mankiewicz. The screenplay was written by Tom Mankiewicz and Howard Sackler. The third film was based on a story by Elliot S! Maggin. Tom Mankiewicz and Mark Evanier wrote the screenplay.

Hmm....

We've reached the point in time OTL where the Bronze Age became the Iron Age, with Crisis on Infinite Earths and Secret Wars. However, Neither DC nor All-American have all the multiverse continuity problems they did OTL (Mostly because Roy Thomas came to All-American far later than he did to DC OTL), and Jim Shooter isn't at either Mighty or Escape. Watchmen won't involve the Charlton characters, there's no place in TTL Ollie's characterization for The Longbow Hunters, and Frank Miller probably revived a dark and gritty Batman ahead of schedule of The Dark Knight Returns, which among other things, means no Carrie Kelly unless she replaces the niche of OTL Jason Todd in chronology and storytelling.

Will All-American simply start a new Earth ca. 1985 and reboot the characters' names, or start making existing heroes mentor the new generation?

Did DC or All-American do a version of Suicide Squad?

Will any version of Cloak and Dagger happen, or will their storylines (aside fron their origin) be folded into Hawk and Dove?

Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still happens like OTL, but something tells me that several important details will be different, since Frank Miller was never on Mr. Justice, and the Cavalry of the Atom didn't go off into space for the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga. Might the title characters actually have Japanese given names and enjoy dango, gyoza, soba nodles, and/or sushi? (Well, a geek can dream can't he?)

With Michael Eisner's rise at Disney, you promised a rennaisance for Mighty. Care to elaborate on that? Will the John Byrne bring out the Cavalry's potential liike he did OTL's Fantastic Four? Will Power Pack still happen, and if so, will they be better used? Will Captain Atom still die of cancer?

And what about the careers of the artists introduced OTL in the Eighties like Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Erik Larson, Rob Liefeld, and Mike Deodato?

Did Jon Sable; Freelance, Starslayer, Grimjack, American Flag! or Marvelman/Miracle Man still happen ITTL?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Hmm....

We've reached the point in time OTL where the Bronze Age became the Iron Age, with Crisis on Infinite Earths and Secret Wars. However, Neither DC nor All-American have all the multiverse continuity problems they did OTL (Mostly because Roy Thomas came to All-American far later than he did to DC OTL), and Jim Shooter isn't at either Mighty or Escape. Watchmen won't involve the Charlton characters, there's no place in TTL Ollie's characterization for The Longbow Hunters, and Frank Miller probably revived a dark and gritty Batman ahead of schedule of The Dark Knight Returns, which among other things, means no Carrie Kelly unless she replaces the niche of OTL Jason Todd in chronology and storytelling.

Will All-American simply start a new Earth ca. 1985 and reboot the characters' names, or start making existing heroes mentor the new generation?

Will any version of Cloak and Dagger happen, or will their storylines (aside fron their origin) be folded into Hawk and Dove?

Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still happens like OTL, but something tells me that several important details will be different, since Frank Miller was never on Mr. Justice, and the Cavalry of the Atom didn't go off into space for the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga. Might the title characters actually have Japanese given names and enjoy dango, gyoza, soba nodles, and/or sushi? (Well, a geek can dream can't he?)

With Michael Eisner's rise at Disney, you promised a rennaisance for Mighty. Care to elaborate on that? Will the John Byrne bring out the Cavalry's potential liike he did OTL's Fantastic Four? Will Power Pack still happen, and if so, will they be better used? Will Captain Atom still die of cancer?

And what about the careers of the artists introduced OTL in the Eighties like Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Erik Larson, Rob Liefeld, and Mike Deodato?

Did Jon Sable; Freelance, Starslayer, Grimjack, American Flag! or Marvelman/Miracle Man still happen ITTL?

Inquiring minds want to know!

OTL, I discovered Comics when my family returns ito America after My Father did tours of duty in Japan and Germany and brought the family with him, We return to USA in 1972. I started reading comics up to 1976. Dad was assigned to Red Stone Arsenal in Huntsville and unlike Maryland, There was not a good place to get comics. I track down the Summer issue of JLA with JLA/JSA crossover,when I would visit Family in Pennsylvania.
1983 A comic shop open in town and I got the issues of Crisis and Who Who. I discover many of the independents comic then and would read them till, I got married and I went to get my Master and My wife started working on her Medical degree. Have check out some comic a few time since but manly will buy trade paperback of title that interest me.

In this timeline is there a JSA/JlA crossover every summer? if not then I have nothing that keeps me reading comics.
No Crisis, nothing that brings me back to reading them.
even assuming would go to the Comic store if no independent comics then little that would get me reading again.

Was there a Campy batman series? if there is no Dark Knight returns, Then Hollywood would keep batman series campy.

Kalvan said:
Will Power Pack still happen, and if so, will they be better used?
I'd like to know, too. And does Weezie Simonson still write the book?

In that vein, is there a *New Mutants TTL? (If not, no Douglock.:( No Dani.:( )
Kalvan said:
Will Captain Atom still die of cancer?
I'm taking it OTL's Cap Marv never even happens (nor the Kree-Skrull War), so Cap doesn't die of cancer, either.
Kalvan said:
Speaking for me, if Lee & Liefield are never heard from, I'd be happy. OTOH, what happens to David Michelinie, Bob Layton, & JR, Jr.? (I really liked most of their run on IM.) I presume Byrne still gets inking from Terry Austin for much of his work. (Byrne inking himself was never as good IMO. Dan Green, if you can't get Terry.)
Kalvan said:
Please, please tell me Sable isn't butterflied.:eek: That was, is, one of my fave books ever.

Also, does Dreadstar still happen TTL? Does Scout? (The Battle of the Bands was epic, even without Mayor Clint.:p)

I'm guessing that Liefeld will still have a career. I'm guessing this only because Neamathla likes to use modified versions of art from OTL, and it's hard to avoid Liefeld if you're portraying 90s comics.

All of this, I plan to deal with this in the first part of the Iron Age.

Both. The original version (Task Force X) appeared at All-American. DC has the John Ostrander version. This team is known as the "Team Zero" (not sold on the name, may modify it later).

Cloak and Dagger are part of the All-American universe. Their origin and storylines stay fairly intact with Mr. Terrific and Teen Paladins substituted for Spider-Man and the New Mutants.

I hadn't planned on going into real detail. I enjoyed the original issues, so I decided to keep them in the timeline. After a little reflection and research, I chose some Japanese names for the turtles. They are Ichirou (Leonardo), Jirou (Donatello), Saburo (Raphael), and Shiro (Michelangelo). As an alternative, the cartoon names could be Bruce, Jackie, Chuck, and Sonny. Of course with no Stick and Hand, Splinter and Foot Clan have to be renamed. So I went with Toshiro and Kage Clan. The pizza thing came from the cartoon. Initially, I thought it would remain unchanged. But after reading this one of things that Laird regretted about the series, I replaced pizza with sushi. Of course, these are only suggestions.

With Michael Eisner's rise at Disney, you promised a rennaisance for Mighty. Care to elaborate on that?

This is another segment that I plan to present in the Iron Age Part I.

Will the John Byrne bring out the Cavalry's potential liike he did OTL's Fantastic Four?

Yes. Byrne will take a back to basics approach with the Cavalry, just as he did with the Fantastic Four. By 1984, the title had become crowded as the team had tripled in size. The team was led by the Professor (wearing a cybersuit). Byrne reduced the group to seven. His team is a combination of experienced and new heroes.

Treat the images below as a rough guide.

The OLD Cavalry

The NEW Cavalry

Will Power Pack still happen, and if so, will they be better used?
I'd like to know, too. And does Weezie Simonson still write the book?

Yes, it will part Mighty's stable. Yes, the new guy at Mighty gets it. The series doesn't work without Louise Simonson at the helm.

Will Captain Atom still die of cancer?
I'm taking it OTL's Cap Marv never even happens (nor the Kree-Skrull War), so Cap doesn't die of cancer, either.

No. Elements of the death/cancer story appear in Starlin's run on New Gods. The Kree-Skrull War doesn't occur for a couple of reasons. One, Roy Thomas is at Charlton. Two, the Skrull are in Escape's multiverse not Mighty's. However, a rough equivalent does occur. The Cold War between the Kree and the Aakon escalates into war. This storyline runs late 1979/early 1980 and closes out the Captain Atom title.

I will deal with them in the Iron Age part 2.

Please, please tell me Sable isn't butterflied.:eek: That was, is, one of my fave books ever.

Also, does Dreadstar still happen TTL? Does Scout? (The Battle of the Bands was epic, even without Mayor Clint.:p)
[/QUOTE]

This is where I invoke of the "rule of cool". Butterflies say that some of those shouldn't exist, but all except Dreadstar do. I have Starlin adopting some elements into his New Gods run. Other pieces appear into his stories for Sixth World magazine. Truman not only does Scout, but also Jonah Hex for All-American's mature imprint.

OTL, I discovered Comics when my family returns ito America after My Father did tours of duty in Japan and Germany and brought the family with him, We return to USA in 1972. I started reading comics up to 1976. Dad was assigned to Red Stone Arsenal in Huntsville and unlike Maryland, There was not a good place to get comics. I track down the Summer issue of JLA with JLA/JSA crossover,when I would visit Family in Pennsylvania.
1983 A comic shop open in town and I got the issues of Crisis and Who Who. I discover many of the independents comic then and would read them till, I got married and I went to get my Master and My wife started working on her Medical degree. Have check out some comic a few time since but manly will buy trade paperback of title that interest me.

Before I post the first part of the Iron Age, I will post a list of what titles were published for calendar year 1984.

In this timeline is there a JSA/JlA crossover every summer? if not then I have nothing that keeps me reading comics.
No Crisis, nothing that brings me back to reading them.
even assuming would go to the Comic store if no independent comics then little that would get me reading again.

The JSA/JLA crossovers did happen in TTL, even kept the "Crisis" in the story titles.

Was there a Campy batman series? if there is no Dark Knight returns, Then Hollywood would keep batman series campy.
[/QUOTE]

There was a Batman TV series, but it wasn't campy. It was more along the Eighties half humor/half action series (e.g. "Hardcastle and McCormick").

In that vein, is there a *New Mutants TTL? (If not, no Douglock.:( No Dani.:( )

The New Mutants don't exist per say. During this time period, Claremont works for DC. So the characters exist in a slightly different form (OTL New Mutants ≈ TTL Young Titans).

Speaking for me, if Lee & Liefield are never heard from, I'd be happy. OTOH, what happens to David Michelinie, Bob Layton, & JR, Jr.? (I really liked most of their run on IM.) I presume Byrne still gets inking from Terry Austin for much of his work. (Byrne inking himself was never as good IMO. Dan Green, if you can't get Terry.)

Of course, Bob Layton is around. I became a fan with his Hercules: Prince of Power miniseries. While David did kill Arthur Jr./Aquababy, he did a lot of good work. His path in TTL is somewhat the same (works at DC then Mighty). John Romita, Jr. has worked for Mighty since the late 1970's. While not a fan of Lee, I may have a need for him.

I'm guessing that Liefeld will still have a career. I'm guessing this only because Neamathla likes to use modified versions of art from OTL, and it's hard to avoid Liefeld if you're portraying 90s comics.

Lacking any artistic talent myself, I have to borrow artwork. :eek:

Up to this point, most of the writers/artists had been born before my POD reached national impact. So, the butterflies for them has been minimal. However, Liefeld does not fall into that category. Now, there are artists whose styles that are not my cup of tea, but generally I can see why people like them. Liefeld is not one of them. After all, what kind of professional artist cannot draw feet? So in TTL, he is an assistant manager of the In-N-Out Burger in North Hollywood, California. ;)

Snip.

Both. The original version (Task Force X) appeared at All-American. DC has the John Ostrander version. This team is known as the "Team Zero" (not sold on the name, may modify it later).

How about Redemption Squad for the John Ostrander version?

Cloak and Dagger are part of the All-American universe. Their origin and storylines stay fairly intact with Mr. Terrific and Teen Paladins substituted for Spider-Man and the New Mutants.

Oh, Goody! It was one of my favorite titles back in the '80s. Bruce Wayne's parents' deaths may have inspired him to train to become Batman, Bruce Banner's mistreatment at the hands of those who should have known better might have sparked the rage that fueled the Hulk's rampages, and Peter Parker might have been haunted by Uncle Ben's words after he negligently caused his death, but Tandy and Tyrone were forced to accept their powers after the drugs they were forcibly shot up with activated or else die horribly. I always enjoyed the message that whether or not it's actually your fault something happened, there are always consequences for people's actions, and it's what you do when forced to act that defines you.

And putting them in All-American's Earth-1 is even better. I can almost imagine the verbal roasting Wally is about to get for his duplicating his uncle's science experiment gone wrong at their hands! :cool:

I hadn't planned on going into real detail. I enjoyed the original issues, so I decided to keep them in the timeline. After a little reflection and research, I chose some Japanese names for the turtles. They are Ichirou (Leonardo), Jirou (Donatello), Saburo (Raphael), and Shiro (Michelangelo). As an alternative, the cartoon names could be Bruce, Jackie, Chuck, and Sonny. Of course with no Stick and Hand, Splinter and Foot Clan have to be renamed. So I went with Toshiro and Kage Clan. The pizza thing came from the cartoon. Initially, I thought it would remain unchanged. But after reading this one of things that Laird regretted about the series, I replaced pizza with sushi. Of course, these are only suggestions.

I would have gone with Hanzo, Zabuza, Sasuke, and Jubei, but whatever floats your boat. Like the other stuff, though.

Snip the John Byrne Mutants run.

Well, I suppose that is a tad too many for just one book. But putting them back in uniforms (even if they are color cooridnated Sentai-style) feels like a step backwards in their characterization. And, several of the handles and costumes look like they could have had some interesting stories with them. It may have to wait until Part Two of your Iron Age posts, but I might have to join Mighty after my time at DC is up in my thread over in Alien Space Bats, so long as I can do it without perpetuaing an ATL version of OTL's non-Claremont and post-Claremont X-Book stupidity.

Yes, it will part Mighty's stable. Yes, the new guy at Mighty gets it. The series doesn't work without Louise Simonson at the helm.

Yeahh!!!!

This is where I invoke of the "rule of cool". Butterflies say that some of those shouldn't exist, but all except Dreadstar do. I have Starlin adopting some elements into his New Gods run. Other pieces appear into his stories for Sixth World magazine. Truman not only does Scout, but also Jonah Hex for All-American's mature imprint.

Facinating!

Snip

Up to this point, most of the writers/artists had been born before my POD reached national impact. So, the butterflies for them has been minimal. However, Liefeld does not fall into that category. Now, there are artists whose styles that are not my cup of tea, but generally I can see why people like them. Liefeld is not one of them. After all, what kind of professional artist cannot draw feet? So in TTL, he is an assistant manager of the In-N-Out Burger in North Hollywood, California. ;)

Hip Hip, Hooray!:D

Last edited:
Assistant manager? That's pretty prestigious. Good for him! Is he spending that assistant manager money on an art class? I'd strongly encourage it, because I know how much he enjoys his hobby.

neamathla said:
:(
neamathla said:
No. Elements of the death/cancer story appear in Starlin's run on New Gods. The Kree-Skrull War doesn't occur for a couple of reasons. One, Roy Thomas is at Charlton. Two, the Skrull are in Escape's multiverse not Mighty's. However, a rough equivalent does occur. The Cold War between the Kree and the Aakon escalates into war. This storyline runs late 1979/early 1980 and closes out the Captain Atom title.
I'm presuming this doesn't mean Cap Atom actually stays dead...?:rolleyes:
neamathla said:
This is where I invoke of the "rule of cool". Butterflies say that some of those shouldn't exist, but all except Dreadstar do.
:cool::cool: Bit sad about Dreadstar, but was never a huge fan.
neamathla said:
Truman not only does Scout, but also Jonah Hex
That is a Jonah Hex I'd really like to read.:cool::cool:
neamathla said:
The New Mutants don't exist per say. During this time period, Claremont works for DC. So the characters exist in a slightly different form (OTL New Mutants ≈ TTL Young Titans).
I'm saddened to hear Doug & Warlock don't happen...:(
neamathla said:
Of course, Bob Layton is around.
:cool::cool:
neamathla said:
John Romita, Jr. has worked for Mighty since the late 1970's.
:cool::cool:
neamathla said:
Liefeld ... is an assistant manager of the In-N-Out Burger in North Hollywood, California. ;)
:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::p

How about Redemption Squad for the John Ostrander version?

That could work.

Oh, Goody! It was one of my favorite titles back in the '80s. Bruce Wayne's parents' deaths may have inspired him to train to become Batman, Bruce Banner's mistreatment at the hands of those who should have known better might have sparked the rage that fueled the Hulk's rampages, and Peter Parker might have been haunted by Uncle Ben's words after he negligently caused his death, but Tandy and Tyrone were forced to accept their powers after the drugs they were forcibly shot up with activated or else die horribly. I always enjoyed the message that whether or not it's actually your fault something happened, there are always consequences for people's actions, and it's what you do when forced to act that defines you.

And putting them in All-American's Earth-1 is even better. I can almost imagine the verbal roasting Wally is about to get for his duplicating his uncle's science experiment gone wrong at their hands!

To be honest, I hadn't thought about using Kid Flash, but he might work better than Mr. Terrific.

I would have gone with Hanzo, Zabuza, Sasuke, and Jubei, but whatever floats your boat. Like the other stuff, though.

The Japanese names are intended to bit of an in-joke as they translate to first son, second son, etc.

Snip the John Byrne Mutants run.

Well, I suppose that is a tad too many for just one book. But putting them back in uniforms (even if they are color cooridnated Sentai-style) feels like a step backwards in their characterization. And, several of the handles and costumes look like they could have had some interesting stories with them. It may have to wait until Part Two of your Iron Age posts, but I might have to join Mighty after my time at DC is up in my thread over in Alien Space Bats, so long as I can do it without perpetuaing an ATL version of OTL's non-Claremont and post-Claremont X-Book stupidity.

I posted the wrong graphic for the old Calvary. The new one differentiates between full and associate members. I meant for them to have a large membership just not that large. I was thinking more early 1980s JLA than LSH.
Now, the Calvary only started wearing individual costumes in late 1975. As with many changes during this time period, it was done by editorial mandate. For the most part, this change was met with indifference. However, some of the more vocal fans decried the genericization of the team. They would derisively refer to the team as the Mutant Avengers. Other mandates included the adding of new members (including ethnicities).
I rethought the new Cavalry costumes. The Cavalry are intended to be a unified team not a group of individuals, so that is why I gave them the same uniform. But the different colors was a mistake as was the style. So, I did redesign which I think is better.

The Old Cavalry revised

The New Cavalry redesign

Assistant manager? That's pretty prestigious. Good for him! Is he spending that assistant manager money on an art class? I'd strongly encourage it, because I know how much he enjoys his hobby.

He quit drawing after his high school art teacher derided him for his inability to draw human anatomy correctly.

I just realized my comment on Power Pack may not have been clear. When I said "new guy at Mighty gets it", I meant the new publisher understands that series should be written by Louise (or at very least be the title editor). There will be no grimdark Power Pack.

Comic titles published in calendar year 1984.

ALL-AMERICAN
Superheroes: Animal Man; Captain America; Captain Comet; Ekko; Flash; Green Lantern; Jonni Thunder; Mirrage; Mr. Terrific; Sub-Mariner; Wildcat; Wonder Woman; All-Star Comics (Jubilee); Comic Cavalcade (team-up title); Extra! (superhero anthology); Sensation Comics (Mid-Nite/Thorn); Uncanny Tales (Earth-Two superheroes)

Team Titles: Desperados; Hardluck Heroes; Justice League of America; Miracles, Inc.; Street Samurais; Teen Paladins

Annuals: Green Lantern Annual; Justice League of America Annual; Teen Paladins Annual; Wildcat Annual

Miniseries: All-American Superheroes; Jonni Thunder; Namor, the Original Sub-Mariner; Power H'Dia; Shadow War; Wanted: The Feral Man

One-Shots: Captain America: The Star Spangled Hero Movie Special

Fantasy: Arak, Son of Thunder; Arion, Lord of Atlantis; Ka-Zar the Savage; Arak Annual; Sword of the Atom Special

Humor: Funny Stuff Stocking Stuffer

Miscellaneous: RPM; Thriller; Nathaniel Dusk; All-American Graphic Novel (series of one-shots)

Science Fiction: Alien Legion; Spanner's Galaxy (miniseries); Sun Devils (miniseries)

War: Frontline Combat; Sgt. Rock; Two-Fisted Tales; Sgt. Rock Annual

Western: Jonah Hex

Licensed: Action Force; Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai; Flash Gordon; Action Force Yearbook; Across the 8th Dimension! (miniseries); Conan the Conqueror Movie Special

All-Ages (Kids Imprint): Bobcat; Planet Terry

Savant (Creator Owned Imprint): Savant Presents (anthology); Sisterhood of Steel; Timespirits

Fables (Magazine Imprint): Beyond; Conan; Danger; Epic; Impact; Mad; Panic; Unleashed; Vanguard

DC
Superheroes: Aquaman; Batman; Blue Devil; Doctor Fate; Green Arrow; Jenisis; Jericho; Nightwing and Flamebird; Plastic Man; Starman; Supergirl; Superman; Action Comics (Superman); Adventure Comics (superhero anthology); Brave and the Bold (team-up title); DC Comics Presents (superhero anthology); Detective Comics (Green Arrow & Liberty Belle); World's Finest Comics (Superman team-up)

Team Titles: Legion of Superheroes; Manhunters; Marvel Family; Omega Men; Outsiders; Young Titans;

Annuals: DC Comics Presents Annual; Legion of Superheroes Annual; Omega Men Annual; Outsiders Annual; Superman Annual; Young Titans Annual

Miniseries: Elektra Saga (Raven); Immortal Doctor Fate; New Seven Soldiers of Victory; Starman/Sandman; Superman: The Secret Years; X-Man: Lost Horizon

One-Shots: Green Arrow Special; Supergirl Movie Special

Fantasy: Amethyst; Rima; Amethyst Annual; Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld (miniseries);

Miscellaneous: 21st Sentry AD; Forever Amber; Who's Who in the DC Universe (miniseries); DC Graphic Novel (series of one-shots)

Science Fiction: Collapsar; Limerick Rake (miniseries); Ronin (miniseries)

War: Blackhawks; G.I. Combat; Star Spangled War Stories

Licensed: Inner Space: Microman; Inner Space: Transformer War; Masters of the Universe; Star Raiders; Star Trek; The Muppets; WWF; Star Trek Annual; Last Starfighter (miniseries); Planet of the Apes (miniseries); Starriors (miniseries); Inner Space Special Edition; Spectre Movie Special;

DC Junior (Kids Imprint): Caspar; Fraggle Rock; Richie Rich; Strawberry Shortcake

Digest: Best of DC

Brightstar (Creator Owned Imprint): Brightstar Monthly; Groo the Wanderer

Hampshire (Magazine Imprint): Crime Machine; Double Action; Strange Adventures; Tales of the Unexpected; Thrilling Adventure Stories; Weird War Tales; Weird Western Tales

ESCAPE
Superheroes: Adventures of the Fly; Blue Beetle; Coal Tiger; Daredevil; Fighting American; Firestorm; Hands of the Dragon; Lady Marshal; Phantom Lady; Scarlet Surfer; Theta; Dynamic Comics (ex-Charlton superheroes); Escape Tales (Fly team-up); Escape Team-Up (Blue Beetle team-up); Just Imagine (What If); Showcase (superhero anthology);

Team Titles: Challengers of the Unknown; Cosmic Kingdom (New Gods Saga); Cosmic Odyssey (New Gods Saga); Progeny; Protectors

Annuals: Blue Beetle Annual; Challengers of the Unknown Annual; Escape Team-Up Annual; Firestorm Annual; Protectors Annual

Miniseries: Hercules, Prince of Power; Iceman; Last Days of the Invaders; Negative Zone; The Hunger Dogs; To Serve and Protect

One-Shots: Generic Comic; Phoenix

Fantasy: Sky Dogs; Warlord; Warlord Annual

Horror: I, Vampire; I, Vampire Annual

Miscellaneous: Official Handbook to the Escape Universe (miniseries); U.S. 1 (miniseries); Escape Graphic Novel (series of one-shots)

Science Fiction: Machine Man 2020; Jemm, Son of Saturn (miniseries); Six from Sirius (miniseries)

War: Foxhole; Our Army at War; Our Fighting Forces; Foxhole Special

Licensed: COBOL; Doctor Who; Solomon Kane; Tales of Indiana Smith; COBOL Annual; The Hildebrand Rarity (miniseries); Treasure of the Monkey King (miniseries)

Magnum (Creator Owned Imprint): Coyote; Magnum Illustrated; Starstruck; Xenozoic Tales; Crash Ryan (miniseries)

Mainline (Magazine Imprint): Howard the Duck; Saga of the Swamp Thing; Savage World; Sick; Sixth World; Spirit World; Uncanny Tales; Western World; Wild Space

MIGHTY
Superheroes: Almighty Thor; Amazing Web; Black Hood; Doctor Strange; Fabulous Fox; Hawk and Dove; Incredible Comet; Invincible Shield; Mr. Justice; Spectacular Wizard; Steel Sterling; Blue Ribbon Comics (Falcon); Jackpot Comics (superhero anthology); Mighty Fanfare (superhero anthology); Mighty Age (Web team-up); Mighty Two-in-One (Shield team-up)

Team Titles: Avengers; Avengers West; Power Pack; The Mutants; The New Warriors; THUNDER Agents

Annuals: Amazing Web Annual; Avengers Annual; Incredible Comet Annual; Invincible Shield Annual; Mutants Annual

Miniseries: Avengers: East vs. West; Children of the Atom; Doctor Strange Classics; The Comet's Power; Questprobe

Fantasy: Dragon Knights; Eternia

Miscellaneous: Amazing High Adventure; Mighty Graphic Novel (series of one-shots)

Science Fiction: Starhawks; Conqueror of the Barren Earth (miniseries)

War: Battlefield Action; Sgt. Savage and his Howling Commandos

Red Circle (Magazine Imprint): 1994; Creepy; Eerie; Rook; Vampirella

ARCHIE
Titles (all bimonthly): Archie; Archie and Me; Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica; Archie's Pals 'n' Gals; Beauty and the Beast; Betty and Me; Chip 'n' Dale; Donald Duck; Everything's Archie; Jughead; Jungle Book; Katy Keene; Laugh; Life with Archie; Mickey Mouse; Peter Pan; Super Goof; Uncle Scrooge; Walt Disney's Comics and Stories; Winnie the Pooh

Digests: Archie Comics Digest Magazine; Archie's Double Comics Digest Magazine; Betty and Veronica Comics Digest Magazine; Donald Duck Comics Digest Magazine; Jughead Comics Digest Magazine; Jungle Book Comics Digest Magazine; Laugh Comics Digest Magazine; Mickey Mouse Comics Digest Magazine; Uncle Scrooge Comics Digest Magazine; Walt Disney's Comics Digest Magazine

The Mid-Majors

COMICO (Founded: 1982)
Titles: Elementals; Evangeline; Grendal; Mage; Robotech: Macross; Starblazers

ECLIPSE (Founded: 1977)
Titles: Axel Pressbutton; Aztec Ace; Cap'n Quick and a Foozle; Crossfire; Destroyer Duck; DNAgents; Eclipse Monthly; John Law Detective; Masked Man; Ms. Tree; Ms. Tree's Thrilling Detective Adventures; Night Music; Scorpio Rose; Star*Reach Classics; Strange Days; Surge; Twisted Tales; Zot!

FIRST (Founded: 1983)
Titles: E-Man; First Comics Graphic Novel; Grimjack; Jon Sable, Freelance; Mars; Sabre; Starslayer; Warp; Warp Special

INFINITY (Founded: 1986)
No titles published.

PACIFIC (Founded: 1981)
Titles: 1st Folio; A Corben Special; Alien Worlds; Berni Wrightson: Master of the Macabre; Bold Adventure; Darklon the Mystic; Demon Dreams; Edge of Chaos; Elric; Ghita of Alizarr; Pacific Presents; Pathways to Fantasy; Planet Comics; Ravens and Rainbows; Rocketeer; Silverheels; Skateman; Somerset Holmes; Starslayer; Sun Runners; Three Dimensional Alien Worlds; Thrillogy; Twisted Tales; Visa Illustrated; Vanity; Wild Animals

VALIANT (Founded: 1984)
Titles: D.P. 7; Mark Hazzard: Merc; Nightmask; ProStars; Psi-Force; Spitfire; Star Brand; Wraith

Last edited:
My reactions to the industry-wide 1984 catalogue:

All American: What are the Street Samurais and Omega Men, and what are the lineups like creatively and character-wise on the Teen Paladins? Did Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime Syndicate get made? (I hope)

DC: So Green Arrow is camping out in Detective Comics? I'm sure things are dandy for Ollie, it's just that Batman not at least being billed as "The World's Greatest Detective" feels like a "Mighty have Fallen" moment.

So Dick and Betty are an item? Or are they the version that would opperate out of Kandor?

Frank Miller working with Raven? That feels kind of like Walt Simonson on Mr. Justice, or Doug Moench on Thor.

This reminds me, what is going on with Young Titans? I know that Chris Claremont is writing, and the current team is based on his New Mutants, but who does he have on art?

What are the creative teams behind the Inner Space books?

Escape: Is Firestorm ITTL a martial-arts character? I don't see The Question anywhere. What happened to him?

So, how's Wakanda doing about now (Ca. 1984)? And who's doing the writing and art?

Is COBOL TTL's Bettlestar Galactica? How closely behind are they following the Dr. Who show? Are they still stuck on the Third and Fourth Doctors, or have they reached the Sixth?

Mighty: Will Web get the Symbiont suit?

Will the real Hercules, Mortal Son of Zeus please stand up?

Mid Majors:

It looks like Comico is just a Manga translator. Will Viz be getting into the action earlier?

Will the real Starslayer please stand up?

What happened to Cerebus? Did Dave Sim just give up?

Last edited:
All American: What are the Street Samurais and Omega Men, and what are the lineups like creatively and character-wise on the Teen Paladins? Did Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime Syndicate get made? (I hope)

The Street Samurais are the adaption of Denny O'Neil's novel "Dragon's Fists". The protagonists are Richard Dragon and Dak Turner. It has elements of OTL's "Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter", "Heroes for Hire", and the Noir genre.

I accidently placed the Omega Men under the wrong company. It is a DC title, I have gone back and switched them with the Desperados. However, they are very similar to OTL team (space superheroes). Only instead of operating in the present, they are active in the 30th Century. Instead of the home planets of the Omega Men being in a single star system, they are in an area known as the Vega Sector. The lineup is Broot, Demonia, Doc, Felicity, Harpis, Kalista, Nimbus, Primus, Shlagen, and Tigorr (leader). The creative team is Marv Wolfman and Joe Staton.

The current incarnation of the Teen Paladins consists of new and obscure characters. The creative team is Kurt Busiek (writer) and Chuck Patton (art).

Teen Paladins

Actually, there are three films in the Buckaroo Banzai franchise. They are "Across the 8th Dimension! The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai" (1984), "Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League" (1986), and "Buckaroo Banzai and the Big Trouble in Little China" (1987). ;)

DC: So Green Arrow is camping out in Detective Comics? I'm sure things are dandy for Ollie, it's just that Batman not at least being billed as "The World's Greatest Detective" feels like a "Mighty have Fallen" moment.

So Dick and Betty are an item? Or are they the version that would opperate out of Kandor?

Yes. In the late 1970s, the Batman Family took over Detective Comics and pushed Batman out. In 1982, Robin and Batgirl became Nightwing and Flamebird. While Kandor exists in TTL, the Nightwing/Flamebird (Superman/Jimmy Olsen) stories do not. The first one was written, but never used. DC was never to let a good name to waste. When they left Detective to receive their own title in 1984, Green Arrow and Liberty Belle moved in.

Frank Miller working with Raven? That feels kind of like Walt Simonson on Mr. Justice, or Doug Moench on Thor.

No. Raven's miniseries title, "Elektra Saga", refers to Greek mythological character Elektra.

This reminds me, what is going on with Young Titans? I know that Chris Claremont is writing, and the current team is based on his New Mutants, but who does he have on art?

When Chris took over in 1982, his artist was Jim Aparo. Bill Sienkiewicz took over art duties in late 1984.

What are the creative teams behind the Inner Space books?

Peter Gillis writes both Inner Space titles. Chuck Wojtkiewicz handles the art on Microman while Ron Frenz draws Transformers.

Escape: Is Firestor ITTL a martial-arts character? I don't see The Question anywhere. What happened to him?

Firestorm is the same as in OTL. Escape is using Dynamic Comics to see which Charlton to re-launch. The Question is just one of the characters that has yet to appear. So far, Arcanna, Black Terror, the Creeper, Daredevil, Doctor Spectro, and Nightshade have appeared. But rest assured, the Question will have his day.

So, how's Wakanda doing about now (Ca. 1984)? And who's doing the writing and art?

Since Escape has never been one afraid of controversy, the title has dealing with current situations in Africa. One current storyline deals with "cold war" between Wakanda and Azania. Azania is a stand-in for the Union of South Africa. Like Wakanda, it is located in northeast Africa. Since 1981, creative team has been Peter B. Gillis and Gene Colan.

Is COBOL TTL's Bettlestar Galactica? How closely behind are they following the Dr. Who show? Are they still stuck on the Third and Fourth Doctors, or have they reached the Sixth?

COBOL is everyone's favorite spaceknight. Escape published a Galactica series from 1978-1982. The Doctor Who title is a reprint title. It reprints colorized versions of the Doctor Who Monthly comic strips. It runs 1983-1987. The first dozen issues are the Fourth Doctor and the rest are the Fifth Doctor. In TTL, Peter Davison remained the Doctor a year longer. So, the Sixth Doctor will not appear until 1985. At this point, he will remain unnamed.

Mighty: Will Web get the Symbiont suit?

No.

Will the real Hercules, Mortal Son of Zeus please stand up?

This is the Bob Layton miniseries which I highly recommend.

It looks like Comico is just a Manga translator. Will Viz be getting into the action earlier?

Not quite. The only two anime related titles are Robotech: Macross and Starblazers. Macross is an adaption of the TV series with one issue equaling one episode, but Starblazers are new stories. They are set between the second and third seasons. As for Viz, it still proceeds as it did in OTL.

Will the real Starslayer please stand up?

The two Starslayers listed are the same series. In March 1984, Grell moved the character from Pacific to First.

What happened to Cerebus? Did Dave Sim just give up?

No, Dave Sim made it to 300 issues. I didn't include Cerebus among the Mid-Majors, because by 1984 Aardvark-Vanaheim only publishes Cerebus.

so, how has the manga industry been affected?

At this point (circa 1984), there has not been much impact.

The Street Samurais are the adaption of Denny O'Neil's novel "Dragon's Fists". The protagonists are Richard Dragon and Dak Turner. It has elements of OTL's "Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter", "Heroes for Hire", and the Noir genre.

So, this probably means that neither Ra's al Ghul nor Osensei trained Bruce during those Missing Seven Years TM., so who did? Stick?

I accidently placed the Omega Men under the wrong company. It is a DC title, I have gone back and switched them with the Desperados. However, they are very similar to OTL team (space superheroes). Only instead of operating in the present, they are active in the 30th Century. Instead of the home planets of the Omega Men being in a single star system, they are in an area known as the Vega Sector. The lineup is Broot, Demonia, Doc, Felicity, Harpis, Kalista, Nimbus, Primus, Shlagen, and Tigorr (leader). The creative team is Marv Wolfman and Joe Staton.

And since they are still ten centuries hence, they won't directly interfere with my retelling of Farscape. So, how often do they interact with the Outsiders?

Oh, and I thought All American had the Star Trek license.

BTW, Did either DC or All-American ever come up with a version of Adam Strange? And if so, what heppened to him?

The current incarnation of the Teen Paladins consists of new and obscure characters. The creative team is Kurt Busiek (writer) and Chuck Patton (art).

Teen Paladins

I only recognise Gypsy and Vibe. Still, Busiek seldom fails to entertain, even when forced to use the Giffen-DeMathis era Justice League, X-Statix, or the Amber Butane Corps. If it were part of a Phonebook Trade Paperback fifteen years down the line, I might plunk down for it.

Actually, there are three films in the Buckaroo Banzai franchise. They are "Across the 8th Dimension! The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai" (1984), "Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League" (1986), and "Buckaroo Banzai and the Big Trouble in Little China" (1987). ;)

I am trying to imagine Buckaroo or Perfect Tommy in Jack Burton's place, and failing miserably. :confused:

Does this mean that Peter Weller isn't available for RoboCop?

Yes. In the late 1970s, the Batman Family took over Detective Comics and pushed Batman out. In 1982, Robin and Batgirl became Nightwing and Flamebird. While Kandor exists in TTL, the Nightwing/Flamebird (Superman/Jimmy Olsen) stories do not. The first one was written, but never used. DC was never to let a good name to waste. When they left Detective to receive their own title in 1984, Green Arrow and Liberty Belle moved in.

Does this mean we have a Robin and/or Batgirl II?

No. Raven's miniseries title, "Elektra Saga", refers to Greek mythological character Elektra.

Thank goodness. You scared me for a moment. Well, it should at least be interesting. BTW, what is Miller doing at the moment, besides Ronin?

When Chris took over in 1982, his artist was Jim Aparo. Bill Sienkiewicz took over art duties in late 1984.

Claremont/Sienkiewicz writing a Titans title is something I would have killed to read.

Peter Gillis writes both Inner Space titles. Chuck Wojtkiewicz handles the art on Microman while Ron Frenz draws Transformers.

Not Jim Shooter? He sounds almost like a no-brainer. Okay, then, what is he doing at the moment, if he isn't editor-in-chief?

Snip.

Since Escape has never been one afraid of controversy, the title has dealing with current situations in Africa. One current storyline deals with "cold war" between Wakanda and Azania. Azania is a stand-in for the Union of South Africa. Like Wakanda, it is located in northeast Africa. Since 1981, creative team has been Peter B. Gillis and Gene Colan.

I want to read this!

This is the Bob Layton miniseries which I highly recommend.

I realise that Herc is a public domain character, but this raises two questions:

1: Why couldn't he have done it at Escape? Was Layton signed to an exclusive contract to Mighty?

2: Isn't this the sort of thing that ITTL "Just isn't done?" We haven't seen Stan Lee recycle the names Daredevil, Wonder Man, or Captain Marvel, so wouldn't it be the sort of thing that would have caused a massive corporate feud between Disney and Gulf+Western?

Not quite. The only two anime related titles are Robotech: Macross and Starblazers. Macross is an adaption of the TV series with one issue equaling one episode, but Starblazers are new stories. They are set between the second and third seasons. As for Viz, it still proceeds as it did in OTL.

So no Golgo 13, Samurai Executioner, or Lady Snowblood coming to America early then? Pity.

Snip.

Does Sim's love life turn out any better? Or does his character still embody the tropes named after him on Tvtropes.com?

Last edited:
in that case, i have an idea i'd like to pitch

Sure. I am always open to suggestions. In TTL, the American public's exposure to anime/manga is same as in OTL. An exception is "Battle of the Planets". It is less a space opera and more a superhero saga, along the lines of OTL’s Legion of Super-Heroes.

So, this probably means that neither Ra's al Ghul nor Osensei trained Bruce during those Missing Seven Years TM., so who did? Stick?

This will be revealed in the upcoming update.

And since they are still ten centuries hence, they won't directly interfere with my retelling of Farscape. So, how often do they interact with the Outsiders?

They first appeared in the 1981 Outsiders Annual. They got their own series the following year. In 1983, a couple of the Outsiders crossed over for a single issue. A two-part crossover occurred in 1984. Each series had one part.

Oh, and I thought All American had the Star Trek license.

They did, but during the license renewal process DC offered Star Trek's parent company a better deal.

BTW, Did either DC or All-American ever come up with a version of Adam Strange? And if so, what heppened to him?

All-American has Adam Strange. There are only two differences between OTL Adam and TTL Adam (one major and one minor). One, his name is slightly different (Doctor Adam Strange). Two, he is not part of All-American's superhero universe. Julie Swartz always thought it was a bad idea to have Adam in the main DCU. In TTL, he kept them separate. Adam appeared in Journey into Space during the 1950s/1960s. He was revived briefly in a self-named title in 1970s.

I only recognise Gypsy and Vibe. Still, Busiek seldom fails to entertain, even when forced to use the Giffen-DeMathis era Justice League, X-Statix, or the Amber Butane Corps. If it were part of a Phonebook Trade Paperback fifteen years down the line, I might plunk down for it.

Remember, this Busiek at the beginning of his career. It won't start strong (a la Justice League Detroit), but by the end of his run it will be considered classic (a la New Teen Titans: Wolfman/Perez run).

I am trying to imagine Buckaroo or Perfect Tommy in Jack Burton's place, and failing miserably. :confused:

Does this mean that Peter Weller isn't available for RoboCop?

There is an untrue internet claim that "Big China" is a rewritten Banzai script. So as a joke I made it into third title. The second and third Banzai films were filmed at the same time. So, Weller still does "Robocop".

Does this mean we have a Robin and/or Batgirl II?

Not Yet.

Thank goodness. You scared me for a moment. Well, it should at least be interesting. BTW, what is Miller doing at the moment, besides Ronin?

Manhunters is his current assignment. The book stars the three Manhunters (Dan Richards, Rick Nelson, and Paul Kirk) and Clock (Brian O'Brien) with regular appearances by Midnight (Dave Clark). They work as masked troubleshooters. Their divergent backgrounds allow Miller to tell different kinds of stories. You might say the book is a male version of Birds of Prey.

Not Jim Shooter? He sounds almost like a no-brainer. Okay, then, what is he doing at the moment, if he isn't editor-in-chief?

In October 1984, he started ("New Universe" inspired) Valiant Comics.

I realise that Herc is a public domain character, but this raises two questions:

1: Why couldn't he have done it at Escape? Was Layton signed to an exclusive contract to Mighty?

2: Isn't this the sort of thing that ITTL "Just isn't done?" We haven't seen Stan Lee recycle the names Daredevil, Wonder Man, or Captain Marvel, so wouldn't it be the sort of thing that would have caused a massive corporate feud between Disney and Gulf+Western?

1. This was an error on my part. I thought I had placed Layton at Mighty during this time period. After checking my notes, I realized I hadn't placed him anywhere. So, I have moved the miniseries to Escape. This means we get to keep Skippy the Skrull. I have moved Questprobe to Mighty which in turn gave me a new idea to add to the Mighty Renaissance section.

2. It is not that isn't done. There a number of examples of character names being used in this TTL. For example, Jack O'Lantern is a hero at All-American, but a villain at Mighty. The Big Four have six different versions of the villain Bedlam. Remember in TTL, the companies favor reusing character names because of the Superman court case. So when Lee was molding Mighty, he was under orders to use their names first. So by the time Lee could have introduced a character named Daredevil, the original character had re-emerged. In the case of Captain Marvel, it is mater of Lee's employer being Mighty not Marvel. I thought Captain Mighty sounded a bit silly. So I went with Mighty Man.

So no Golgo 13, Samurai Executioner, or Lady Snowblood coming to America early then? Pity.

Despite the changes in American culture, I just couldn't see a way for it to happen.

Does Sim's love life turn out any better? Or does his character still embody the tropes named after him on Tvtropes.com?

Sim's life follows some parallel to OTL. He doesn't experiment with LSD as much which helps his overall mental state. He still marries and divorces Deni Loubert. In TTL, they are married 1980-1987. After the divorce, he threw his anger into creator rights advocacy. His views on religion are still "unique". When it comes to his view on women, at best they are considered "outmoded". However, he is not considered a misogynist. To sum up, he is on the fringe, but not polarizing.

Last edited:
my idea is that, to save costs, one of the companies decides to strike a deal with a certain japanese manga company for localisation rights. The result is an earlier intro to DragonBall for the western world. they start their translations with sayian saga as in OTL with the anime. once DB becomes a hit they package the earlier arcs into a separate book advertised as a prequel.

this results in an earlier manga and anime boom.

FDW

Banned
my idea is that, to save costs, one of the companies decides to strike a deal with a certain japanese manga company for localisation rights. The result is an earlier intro to DragonBall for the western world. they start their translations with sayian saga as in OTL with the anime. once DB becomes a hit they package the earlier arcs into a separate book advertised as a prequel.

this results in an earlier manga and anime boom.

While that might be interesting, part of what allowed Manga (Anime is completely different story here) to break out was the sheer devastation wreaked on much of the American Comic's industry in the aftermath of the 1990's comic collapse. I think this is what neamathla is referring to when he says that manga won't have it's boom in the 1980's.

While that might be interesting, part of what allowed Manga (Anime is completely different story here) to break out was the sheer devastation wreaked on much of the American Comic's industry in the aftermath of the 1990's comic collapse. I think this is what neamathla is referring to when he says that manga won't have it's boom in the 1980's.
well i figure oversaturation would allw manga, being very different from american comics, a chance to break out