Fictional inventory of modern airforces

Wiki leaks revealed that the Pakistan Airforce seriously sought A-7 Corsairs II in the 70’s. The US was even willing to throw in F5II.
https://quwa.org/2019/10/20/that-time-when-pakistan-sought-the-a-7-corsair-ii/

Did not know this, thanks for posting. I think the reason Pakistan ignored the F-5 is because they saw it as an air-air asset, and the PAF was using the Mirage III for that. What they needed was an attack aircraft. But the article does raise a point: the F-16s were authorized pretty much because the USSR invaded next-door Afghanistan. If it hadn't, would Pakistan get the F-16, or would they end up turning to someone else? Maybe the Mirage 2000?

Instead of the F/A-18A Hornet, Spain buys the F-16.

The F-15 Eagle was also considered, but it would be a tad too much. The F-14 Tomcat was also on the list, but IIRC it was forgotten quite fast. Too expensive.

Or, instead of the F-16, the Tornado IDS for ground attack and the Mirage 2000 for interception (The Tornado ADV was not even in the making, IIRC).

Also, instead of the Super Puma and the Eurocopter Tiger, Spain gets the UH-60 Blackhawk and the AH-64 Apache. Going back in time, instead of the Bo 105, Spain gets AH-1S Super Cobra.

Did not know this, thanks for posting. I think the reason Pakistan ignored the F-5 is because they saw it as an air-air asset, and the PAF was using the Mirage III for that. What they needed was an attack aircraft.
That and the experience in using borrowed F5's in 1970-72 was underwhelming.

But the article does raise a point: the F-16s were authorized pretty much because the USSR invaded next-door Afghanistan. If it hadn't, would Pakistan get the F-16, or would they end up turning to someone else? Maybe the Mirage 2000?
I think Pakistan would have gotten the F16 eventually. Aside from that probably the Mirage F1 rather than the -2000. PAF IOTL felt that the GCI supported Sidewinder armed F6 (MiG-19 clones) were better at air to air than the ostensibly BVR armed Mirage III (i think the war record was 1 for 8 shots OTL for PAF). Mirage F1 fits with that nicely. Which means that PAF gets involved with the Rafale negotiations early in the mid 1990's.

Ramontxo

Donor
Instead of the F/A-18A Hornet, Spain buys the F-16.

The F-15 Eagle was also considered, but it would be a tad too much. The F-14 Tomcat was also on the list, but IIRC it was forgotten quite fast. Too expensive.

Or, instead of the F-16, the Tornado IDS for ground attack and the Mirage 2000 for interception (The Tornado ADV was not even in the making, IIRC).

Also, instead of the Super Puma and the Eurocopter Tiger, Spain gets the UH-60 Blackhawk and the AH-64 Apache. Going back in time, instead of the Bo 105, Spain gets AH-1S Super Cobra.

Speaking from memory but didn't the Armada used Cobras from the Dédalo? It would have made sense to them and the FAMET (Spanish Army helicopter forces) to use the same bird but logic and military procurement....

Riain

Banned
In 1970 the RAAF and Army Aviation had ordered or was about to order 72 OH58A, 46 UH1H and 11 AH1G. With the withdrawal from Vietnam this order was cut back to 52 OH58A and 12 UH1H. I would have liked to see the AH1Gs retained and enter RAAF service in 1972.

By this time period (late 70s, early 80s) the F1E multipurpose model was up and running, with Iraq using them hard. So sell those to Pakistan.

India ordered its first 40 Mirage 2000 in 1982. Not certain whether France will be selling to both sides...

India ordered its first 40 Mirage 2000 in 1982. Not certain whether France will be selling to both sides...

Well, France did sell Mirage III to Pakistan. If Pakistan places an order late 70s/early 80s, then they get to be France new clients, instead of India. And I bet the aquisition process will be a lot smoother than with India...

The order was expressly was to counter the PAF’s order for F16. Might not have happened otherwise.
And, hell yes France has been selling to both sides OTL.

Definitely a bit early with a 1960 POD but... is it too much to ask for a fighter version of the supersonic Hawker Hunter?

Hawker-Hunter-F3.jpg

Definitely a bit early with a 1960 POD but... is it too much to ask for a fighter version of the supersonic Hawker Hunter?

[SNIP]​
My general outline for something like that is to have someone beat the 'fish head' admirals around the head with a belaying pin, or commission reports from the Royal Aircraft Establishment, until they're convinced that jet fuel is safer than piston engine fuel and that swept wing aircraft are no more difficult to operate from aircraft carriers than straight wing ones. The report also convinces Sydney Camm over at Hawker so that the Sea Hawk is built with swept wings like our timeline's P.1052. The success of the prototypes sees work start on a model with the addition of a swept tail, stabilators, and straight-through jet pipe similar to the P.1081 'Australian fighter' whilst the original version enters service. It's good performance sees the RAF being heavily encouraged to also adopt it. The P.1081 type aircraft is able to enter service in time to see some action later on in Korea prompting them to develop it further by increasing the sweep of the wings, re-designing the fuselage with area ruling, and adding reheat – effectively a supersonic Hawker Hunter. As you note though it requires a much earlier point if divergence than 1960.

Last edited: