Fenians, Brits, Mexicans, Canucks and Frenchies....OH, MY! An alternate American Civil War

Honestly, I'd rather have Canada become independent than remain with Britain or be annexed into the United States.

I think that many Canadians were hopeful that the war (which only Britain had declared war at the time) was going to be resolved, but then, as you said, the Brits burned down Manhattan (and with the British still burning American cities down) I think some, if not most, are fearful that the Americans are going to start burning Canadian cities down (much like York in the War of 1812) and considering the Brits are barely protecting Canada, I do feel that some are becoming disillusioned with Britain (especially with the countless POVs we had stating that Britain would gladly sacrifice Canada), but the United States is still a foreign invader to them. At least with Lincoln going to visit Montreal and Ottawa soon (hopefully OP doesn't have Lincoln be assassinated by some Brit or Canadian nationalist, then that's R.I.P. Canada) we'll see how they really view the war.

Although, I do expect the peace treaty to come soon, considering the United States has nearly 1-2 years of Niter left.
I think the way America keeps winning in this TL Canada will be coming under American control long term.
Long term the resources in Canada will make the USA a lot stronger.
Maybe Newfoundland might remain independent. With the large numbers of Irish, there could be friendly relations with the US.

Last edited:
I think they'll annex the lot, but give them a say in how they are incorporated. I imagine they will want to get a say in Congress, so while they'll be reticent towards Lincoln and any attempts to become Americanized immediately, they also don't want to be left out in the cold when it comes to decision-making.

I honestly do want to see Canada become part of the US. Surely they feel betrayed by Britain dragging them into this war after they destroyed Manhattan?
I think Ontario would be the most resistant to that, particularly with the war of 1812 being a large part of public consciousness there. The prairies and BC are sparsely settled, so they'll probably become states as American settlers flow in. The maritimes I think could go either way. They did have an influx of loyalists after the ARW, but I think it was smaller than the number who moved to Ontario. There are the black people who went there to escape slavery (most famously those who were taken there during/shortly after the war of 1812). On the one hand they did leave the USA to escape slavery. On the other they just saw a war where the USA was on the anti-slavery side and where the Brits were tacitly on the pro-slavery side. Also at that point in history, if I remember correctly the white population of the maritimes did feel a sense of kinship towards New England, which was also the most heavily abolitionist part of the USA. There's also the issue of Halifax. The Americans would want to be sure it could not be used as a base for the Royal Navy. If the Ontarians upset about the American occupation simply want to become their own country, which I think is most likely in this set of circumstances, I think Lincoln wold give it to them, as long as Washington and the American public are satisfied that they won't be British puppets. Note this would be less about the military situation since unlike most ACW timelines with British intervention, there's not really much concern about a two-front war; it's just my opinion based on Lincoln's speeches and writings, particulary those on the Mexican-American War. As for the issue of Quebec, I think they'd be given independence or possibly become a protectorate. The question is would Ontario and Quebec become one country called Canada or would they be two countries called the Canadas?
I wonder what effect the lack of coffee imports will have on morale in America?
Looks like America will be drinking ersatz coffee for a while.
Lack of opium imports will mean a shortage of pain killers too in hospitals etc.
The USA may start looking at the kind of herbal medicine used OTL by the CSA.
Also, luxury goods like silk will be in short supply leading to complaints from the wives of the wealthy.
They could get caffeine from yaupon or cassena.

Kentucky coffeetree was historically used as a substitute for coffee but that was about the taste; it didn't have caffeine. I don't think the USA is going to cry uncle. American public opinion at this point if fury towards Britain for burning NYC whereas British public opinion towards the war is that their politicians got them into a mess they want out of. If there's a demand for opium and grain prices are low, maybe some farmers will start growing poppies.

I think they'll annex the lot, but give them a say in how they are incorporated. I imagine they will want to get a say in Congress, so while they'll be reticent towards Lincoln and any attempts to become Americanized immediately, they also don't want to be left out in the cold when it comes to decision-making.
The pledge of allegiance might be not a good idea in Canada.

If there's a demand for opium and grain prices are low, maybe some farmers will start growing poppies.
Opium poppies are easy to grow, the problem is harvest opium is very labour intensive.
Poppy is also a labor-intensive
crop (350 person days/ha annually), particularly compared to the staple crop, wheat (about 40
person days/ha annually). https://documents1.worldbank.org/cu...2/pdf/311490PAPER0AF100SASPR0no051Dec0171.pdf
Even today there is no one growing poppies on a larges scale in America due to the amount of labour need costs. Only countries with lots of cheap labour and the right climate grow poppies for opium.
You need 400 square meters of poppies to produce enough opium for one person for one year. Cannabis would need less than 10 per cent of that area.
Cannabis is a much easier crop to grow and harvest with much lower labour costs.

Last edited:
Opium poppies are easy to grow, the problem is harvest opium is very labour intensive.

Even today there is no one growing poppies on a larges scale in America due to the amount of labour need costs. Only countries with lots of cheap labour and the right climate grow poppies for opium.
Cannabis is a much easier crop to grow and harvest with much lower labour costs.
In the latter half of the nineteenth century, the cost of American labor was pretty low.

Chapter 41
September, 1863

London

For months, the British government had been effectively paralyzed with indecision. After the fall of Palmerston and Russel's government, the Queen sought another member of the Liberal Party to assume a Ministry (a shadow ministry remained to nominally run the government but few policies change or decisions were being made). However, this proved impossible as the leading men of the Liberal Party were fragmented without the key party decision makers.

Then, the Queen sought her friend Benjamin Disraeli of the Conservatives. While Disraeli would have LIKED to assume power by this point, he knew that his inability to forge a strong alliance with the Radicals or enough Liberals would doom any government.

Frustrated, the Queen would caustically inquire if SHE were expected to rule as an autocrat. The British monarchs had long ceded their political power to Parliament on the assumption that Parliament could actually AGREE on something. But now it just seemed a useless appendage.

Finally, the Queen called for elections to be held in September. She addressed Parliament (naturally in the full mourning of black to remind them that SHE had her own problems) and none too gently told Parliament to get on with it after the election.

Unfortunately, the ensuing election was not as straightforward as expected. Yes, the Liberals lost ground but still managed the highest number of votes in Parliament by a small majority over the Conservatives. A viable third part, the Radicals was gaining ground. There were a number of independents or tertiary parties like the Young Irishman groups pushing Irish Home Rule.

Most, if not ALL of these parties had internal divisions as well between protectionism and free trade, allowing Irish Home Rule or not, increased suffrage or not, etc, etc, etc.

After the election, the Queen was completely at a loss as to how to proceed. Thus she called up Disraeli again and asked if he could form a government. For his part, Disraeli had been negotiating for months with the Radicals and other Parties.

Thus, Disraeli would approach a number of figures for office in a great coalition and eventually find enough high-level supporters to risk forming a government. Some of his colleagues would be surprising. Among them was the Liberal Gladstone, who would prove an enormous pain in the future but his support was necessary as the leaders of the Liberal Party, Palmerston and Russell, were persona non grata by this point.

The big question on Disraeli's mind was Ireland. He could compromise on virtually anything except the continuance of the British Empire. THAT was primary. But Ireland was very divisive in all three major parties. If he supported Home Rule, the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland (Protestant supported by taxes), etc, etc, he would lose key votes. If he DIDN'T, he was quite sure he'd lose almost as many.

Seeing himself damned one way or another, he enticed those supporters of Ireland to his government. Oddly, Gladstone would be his strongest support on the floor of Parliament.

With Queen's permission, he formed a government, uncertain if it would last until Christmas.

Now in power, Disraeli had to clean up the Foreign policy mess left to him by Palmerston and Russell. To make matters worse, the news of the fall of Quebec would arrive DURING his forming of the government. Unknown to him, the officers of the Royal Navy continued Russell's agenda without any contrary orders from the Ministry.

In Halifax, the British fleet was preparing to sail one last time before the winter.

By the time, his Ministry came into power and Disraeli learned of the events in North America, he dispatched a ship at once to Halifax with orders cancelling the expedition.

It would not arrive in time.

Montreal , Canada

Having spent the night in Montreal's southern suburb conquering in the Battle of the St. Lawrence, Lincoln would receive a string of visitors representing the diverse peoples of Canada. Many were politicians like Cartier and Brown, others were common folk. Many did not hesitate to disparage the United States. Given that the Union army had effectively conquered Canada, Lincoln could not blame them. However, the President sat patiently listening to all they had to say.

In short order, he began to see how Canada was an amalgamation of the former Upper and Lower Canada. English and French, Protestant and Catholic. In order to maintain equality, the number of Parliamentarians had been set in stone. Thus when the English-speaking "Upper" Canada's population increased, the "French" side maintained a slight majority of seats. George Brown's "Clear Grit" Party had been railing against this for years under the slogan "Rep by Pop".

The French side, which maintained many of the old Seigneurial Privileges and strong presence of the Catholic Church, refused to budge. For years, a stalemate had existed which threatened any pretense of effective government. John A. Macdonald, whose death had yet to be pinned on any suspect, might have been able to forge an alliance. But, without him, Brown's party and the French only diverged further and further and the nation stagnated. Proposals of a more Federal style government with both "Upper" and "Lower" Canada returning to having separate Parliaments were bandied about but, by 1863, neither side was willing to negotiate.

This was one of two key things Lincoln learned on his trip: the "Two Canadas" seemed to always be at one another's throats.

The second was that neither French or English-speaking Canadians had any desire to join the United States.

The idea of a long occupation of Canada while simultaneously attempting to bring the former Confederacy back into the fold filled Lincoln with despair. Plus, he had no real desire to force a bunch of foreigners into his country. That seemed dishonorable.

Though he knew Seward and Stanton would loath the idea, Lincoln pulled George Brown and Etienne Cartier into a series of private meetings and suggested an alternative to permanent occupation.

Brown, who had lived in New York prior to moving to Toronto, had long admired the nation and was happy to lead a government of of his own. Though a Republican, he had no particular objection to a monarchy. But the circumstances what they were, he was entirely gratified to receive an offer of forming a government with 100% male suffrage and, of course, "Rep by Pop" in what was formerly called "Upper Canada".

As one of the leading French loyalists, Etienne Tache, had opted to retreat with the British, that left Georges Cartier as the most powerful politician in "Quebec" or "Lower Canada".

The French Canadians (or Canadiens) had been conquered just under a century ago by Wolfe and Amherst. While resentful of British overlordship, they did find a level of stability and Great Britain largely was willing to leave them to their own devices in order to keep the peace. The clergy was not messed with and the French political corps maintained its independence. The light hand of the prosperous Great Britain, while not ecstatically welcomed, certainly was preferred to the boorish Americans and their anti-Catholic agenda. Certainly, there was no way that French Canada would maintain the same rights under American rule.

However, Lincoln was willing to offer the French Canadiens a similar deal. Barring ceding the small wedge of land south of Montreal to America, he would recognize "French Canada" or "Lower Canada" or "Quebec" or whatever the French wanted to call it. They could rename it "New France" if they wanted.

Lincoln would "Guarantee the borders" of both nations from "aggressors" and leave the two be.

Both Brown and Cartier knew that Lincoln didn't WANT to conquer Canada by this point and was willing to leave them as neutrals in the war with Britain and as harmless neighbors after that. Most of the Canadian opinion leaders were skeptical of Lincoln's word and had looked on in concern as America's power grew and the savagery of the Civil War commenced. Britain was their supposed protector but the failure of the Queen's forces brought home the proof that Canada's existence stemmed from the goodwill of the American behemoth to the south.

Brown and Cartier both insisted that the matter be taken directly to the voters and Lincoln happily offered the services of his army as a "neutral" party to protect a fair and free outcome. Both were surprised to find they actually BELIEVED Lincoln meant it.

Brown rode for Ottowa while Cartier remained in Montreal to arrange an election. The fears of both the Canadian peoples were brought up again as news spread that, once again, the Royal Navy had taken New York as a target.

Well, I am wondering if with so many unemployment textile workers, plus the lack of the Canadian and American grain shipments, if would be possible that would be brewing some serious social conflicts/hunger riots in England...

Though he knew Seward and Stanton would loath the idea, Lincoln pulled George Brown and Etienne Cartier into a series of private meetings and suggested an alternative to permanent occupation.
I think you have the wrong first name for Cartier here.

Brown, who had lived in New York prior to moving to Toronto, had long admired the nation and was happy to lead a government of of his own. Though a Republican, he had no particular objection to a monarchy. But the circumstances what they were, he was entirely gratified to receive an offer of forming a government with 100% male suffrage and, of course, "Rep by Pop" in what was formerly called "Upper Canada".

However, Lincoln was willing to offer the French Canadiens a similar deal. Barring ceding the small wedge of land south of Montreal to America, he would recognize "French Canada" or "Lower Canada" or "Quebec" or whatever the French wanted to call it. They could rename it "New France" if they wanted.
So what about the Maritimes? Are those to be absorbed into the US?

So what about the Maritimes? Are those to be absorbed into the US?
Most likely everything south of the Saint Lawrence River (including the Maritimes) will be absorbed into the United States, I'd assume. I don't think Lincoln would want the British to keep Halifax after everything that has happened so far ITTL.

They have seed stocks. It was growing at Monticello.
Those were not opium poppies.
poppy-flower-monticello-bloom-house-plantation-thomas-jefferson-third-president-united-31279170.jpg

The below are opium poppies.
ibk-5088509.jpg

Last edited:
Those were not opium poppies.
The below are opium poppies.
ibk-5088509.jpg

The link I just gave mentions opium poppies (Papaver somniferum) growing at Monticello.

Chapter 42
October, 1863

New Jersey

General Robert E. Lee waited silently as Abraham Lincoln took in the destruction. Once again, the British Royal Navy had wreaked havoc upon the massive New York Harbor. That the British had paid mightily for the destruction in men and ships was precious little comfort.

In late September, 23 British warships entered New York Harbor. Most of these were ironclads of some nature or another. They included three purpose-built ironclads and over a dozen others which had been converted over the past 5-10 years by adding layers of armor. Even the non-ironclads of the group were gained additional measures of protection where a bit of iron could be slapped on without affecting her speed overmuch.

For the past year, America's shipyards had churned out everything that they could and had several new classes of river and ocean-going ironclads in varying stages of construction. However, that would not help now.

The core of the American defenses lay in the broadside Ironclads New Ironsides and Galena. Four Passaic class monitors had also been added to the mix while another 18 warships of varying size, quality and armor had been assembled in New York.

Beyond this, many of the old wooden sailing ships, mortar ships and the failed "Casco" class monitors had been dragooned into serving as floating batteries under coordination and protection of the assorted fortifications.

General McClellan, in command of the region had assembled a might collection of 40 enormous "siege" weapons which he had placed throughout the harbor alongside hundreds of Dahlgrens, Parrotts and even smaller cannon like the old Bronze Napoleons. Doubting that infantry would be required as much in a future battle of New York, he had transferred over nearly 10,000 infantry to artillery and placed them under command of trained officers to drill them relentlessly.

Unlike the previous battle, Manhattan had been armed to the teeth with these weapons, all built upon the highest ground possible. En route to Montreal, Lincoln had taken in the improvements and promoted McClellan on the spot to Major General.

The fortifications of the Harbor were built up but it seemed almost impossible for every portion of the vast harbor to be thoroughly guarded. The Navy must go it alone sometimes.

The battle was vicious. Unlike the previous engagement, the American Ironclads had time to train, not only within the ship but as a fleet. Admiral Dalhgren would lead the "slow fleet" of ironclads while Admiral Farragut would lead a "fast fleet" of quicker but less heavily armed ships.

Both were somewhat shocked by the British strategy. They were expected to follow in the footsteps of their predecessors in concentrating upon the American fleet and merchant ships in the harbor while largely avoiding the major fortifications. But the British fleet effectively divided into 4 squadrons in contravention to naval strategy and simply attacked whatever was before them.

This bizarre strategy at first seemed to pay off as the American ships proved unable to maneuver with the larger, faster British vessels. However, the sheer firepower of the fortifications and their offshore batteries would soon take a toll on the British fleet and, without further orders, each squadron began to keep its distance. Instead, they began to focus on the American fleet and the merchants.

Another nasty surprise for the British was the fact that the American fleet had figured out that the huge Dahlgren guns (invented by the Admiral himself) could see vastly improved velocities (stopping power) by increasing the powder charge. This had been reduced in the past for fear of bursting the guns. Soon, it became apparent that the Dahlgrens were the most powerful guns, pound for pound, in New York Harbor.

On the other hand, the British conversion of their secondary guns to Armstrongs would not prove as fortunate. While the infantry loved the lightweight (and therefore easily transported), rapid firing and deadly accurate guns, they would prove deficient in velocity and nearly useless and modern armor plating. As far back as 1861, the Royal Navy was planning to remove the Armstrongs and replace them with old-fashioned muzzle loaders.

Thus, the American Ironclads gave as good as they got, their Dahlgrens punching holes easily in even 6 inches of armor. The smaller, less armored American ships, though, would take terrible beatings.

Soon the American fleet lost cohesion and settled into a free for all. A few of the British squadrons though managed to stay together to steam onto Manhattan, barely recovering from the first attack. The American Army, though, would be ready with dozens of heavy guns and a hundred lighter. The British would lose several ships to these weapons but had fired enough "hotshot" and explosives into the neighborhoods of Manhattan to set the place ablaze once more.

From dawn to dusk, the battle ebbed and flowed until, finally, the British commander signaled a retreat. Only 13 of his 23 ships answered the call, the other twelve having sunk, burned to the waterline or been taken. Among these were six of the more powerful ironclads in the fleet.

The Americans would, once again, see a quarter of Manhattan burn in a single day, with the fire spreading through the island over the following days. An estimated 52% of buildings on the island would be lost.

Of her fleet, 15 warships, including three of the four heavy Passaic class and the USS Galena, would be lost or abandoned. Another 40 merchant ships would be burned, usually while they sat at anchor effectively unmanned, to the waterline.

Most of the remaining British and American ships would suffer high levels of damage, several of the latter being beached.

The British were not done suffering yet as an early winter storm would overtake their fleet on the way to Halifax. One ship was abandoned as she foundered, her crew being rescued by a nearby ship. Yet another just disappeared without a trace. This one held the commander.

The British sailors (whose commander had been lost) would speak in awe of the American Monitors, their shallow profiles and the sheer power of their guns.

But that did not hide the fact that Britain could afford such losses....America could not. Britain had hundreds of ships and dozens which equaled or exceeded the power of anything the Union could field in 1863 (1864's ships may be another matter). Even with the bizarre decision by the British to assault powerful fortifications, the Union lost more vessels. And the cost to Manhattan.....

Lincoln considered this as he looked upon Manhattan across the Hudson from his perch in New Jersey. For a long moment, the darkness threatened to overcome him. Slowly, Lincoln rebuilt his will and turned back to Lee, who had accompanied him to New York.

"Well, this is as bad as I feared. And I was in such a positive mood last week".

The voyage back from Canada via rail and the Grand Trunk, then down through New England and New York, had been pleasant at first. Then it got rather worse as news of the attack had been telegraphed up the line.

Lee remained solemn for a long time until offering, "This was going to be the Confederacy's fate."

Understanding the non-sequiter, Lincoln nodded, "Yes. Once the Union was divided, Britain and France would be able to dictate terms to....well....BOTH Americas as neither would likely be strong enough to resist. I believe that this.....this....abomination had only been put off over the past 50 years due to America's inward-leaning politics."

"They expect us to come to terms." It was a statement, not a question.

Lincoln agreed. "That seems to be the case. However, you and I both know that a peace with Britain would entail. And I don't mean the cession of Canada back to Her Majesty." Lincoln looked across the Harbor again as if to burn the sight into his memory. "Any peace now would require a unilateral disarmament of our growing navy. Britain would want to be able to do.....this.....any time she liked."

"Then you don't expect to come to terms?"

"Not after this. No, we must build up our Navy to the point where such actions are simply too expensive for the Royal Navy."

Lee waited a long moment before inquiring, "Why did you request that I escort you back, Mr. President?"

Turning his back to the billowing pillars of smoke, Lincoln allowed a wry smile to cross his features, "Why? Why, to offer you a command, General!"

Confused, Lee waited a moment and replied, "Given the British control over the waves and an almost impassible forest in Maine and New Brunswick, an invasion of the Maritimes seemed infeasible."

"Not north, General," Lincoln's grin disappeared as he took another look at the devastation. "South."

"Mexico," Lee realized.

"I believe that you've been there before, General. 1846 or so?"

"Yes, and I didn't enjoy the experience. The locals did not take kindly to Scott and Taylor."

Lincoln laughed, "I believe there are ten million or so natives who will be happy to see you this time. Pope has finally cleaned up Texas. I am repeating Polk's strategy in Mexico by sending two armies, now you and Grant, to drive the French out of Mexico. I think we are all in agreement by now that Kings and Queens are best left in Europe."

In truth, Lee was not eager for such a rigorous campaign. He was getting on in years but the honor Lincoln offered to him was great indeed. Virginians were not terribly popular in America these days and offering an independent command implied a great deal of trust that Lee did not want to let down.

"I do have a request, Mr. President," he offered hesitantly. He did not like to make demands of the Commander in Chief.

"Name it."

"Several southern officers, well several dozen at least, probably hundreds," Lee began, "have offered to renew their loyalty to the Union. Perhaps such an engagement against a foreign foe may be a good time to bring them back into the fold."

Lincoln laughed, "If you are speaking of Sherman and Longstreet, I'm afraid your old colleague Grant has beaten you to the punch. He gained my permission for them to rejoin the army as Brigadiers under his command. Even General Armistead will be serving under Grant. I felt it important to make this a North AND South endeavor. Beauregard, however, is finding rail executive life too profitable and he declined to rejoin the colors. His wounds made his participation unlikely anyway."

Disappointed that Longstreet would not join him, Lee was surprised when Lincoln continued, "However, you may have a few of your countrymen from Virginia. General George Thomas, I believe, if an old acquaintance of yours and agreed to assume a division under your command. Generals Jackson, Pickett and Stuart have also volunteered and I have accepted pending your approval of their service."

Thomas was indeed an old friend of Lee's and, honestly, Lee had assumed, should the two ever serve together, that Lee would serve under Thomas' command. But George Thomas was a naturally modest man who shunned the spotlight. Jackson, Pickett and Stuart he only knew in passing and by reputation. Jackson's brilliance could not be debated, Pickett (though the goat of his West Point Class) had performed well in the field and Stuart was among the best of the Confederate cavalry Generals.

"Mr. President, I am overwhelmed. I shall do my utter best not to let you down."

"Just put President Juarez back in Mexico City and the Frenchies back to France and we shall call it even, General."

Last edited:
Understanding the non-sequiter, Lincoln nodded, "Yes. Once the Union was divided, Britain and France would be able to dictate terms to....well....BOTH Americas as neither would likely be strong enough to resist. I believe that this.....this....abomination had only been put off over the past 50 years due to America's inward-leaning politics."

"They expect us to come to terms." It was a statement, not a question.

Lincoln agreed. "That seems to be the case. However, you and I both know that a peace with Britain would entail. And I don't mean the cession of Canada back to Her Majesty." Lincoln looked across the Harbor again as if to burn the sight into his memory. "Any peace now would require a unilateral disarmament of our growing navy. Britain would want to be able to do.....this.....any time she liked."

"Then you don't expect to come to terms?"

"Not after this. No, we must build up our Navy to the point where such actions are simply too expensive for the Royal Navy."
Looks like catch 22
America wants a navy to protect the coast.
The UK wants to make sure America does not have a navy that can defend the coast.

Last edited: